Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2011, 19:11   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Knowing VW, they would probably deglamourize Laura by stripping it off all the features - like they did to the Fabia, after the launch of Polo. Especially if they notice that Laura is eating into the sales of Jetta.
Not so sure about that. The Fabia with all its fancy features was not selling at its earlier price point. So a price-cut was required and Skoda saved costs by cutting down features. I don't think this had anything to do with the launch of the Polo. After the price-cut, the Fabia is doing much better.

Laura is selling well at its price point, so there's no need of a price correction. If Skoda cuts down features on the Laura, there's no guarantee that those who ditch Laura will automatically turn to Jetta.
Old 7th September 2011, 19:12   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
How I wish they bring the 200 bhp GLI to India some day!

Attachment 605100
No hope of that, Nilesh. Not anytime soon. VW sells us a Rs. 20 lakh car without ACC, LCD screen, and navigation. Lets see them try that in the US, though. They'll get clobbered and berated out of the market for these omissions.
Old 7th September 2011, 20:19   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkb View Post
No hope of that, Nilesh. Not anytime soon. VW sells us a Rs. 20 lakh car without ACC, LCD screen, and navigation. Lets see them try that in the US, though. They'll get clobbered and berated out of the market for these omissions.
Well by that measure most of the offerings in India will get clobbered in the US. Starting from our best selling SUV Fortuner. Price justification? Or for that matter any of the BMW, Merc, Audi models.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 21:03   #124
BHPian

That is the point why the Hyundais are able to make a really impact in the US. Load the car to the brim, give an 80% performance on the drive dynamics, what you save there put it into filling in up in the trim. If you compare a Sonata and a Accord in the US there is no comparison at all! The accord seems like a poor guy in the trim and equipment level, fit and finish, really! But the drive dynamics are different!

I see that trend in the new i series in India too. How many cars in the same segments offer what the i10, i20 and the Verna offer? None! It seems like a global strategy from Hyundai and it seems to work. the the i20 and Verna figures show that compared to competition. The i10 is not able to do that may be due to lack of diesel, but that might get corrected (I wish so too).
Old 8th September 2011, 12:07   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Well by that measure most of the offerings in India will get clobbered in the US. Starting from our best selling SUV Fortuner. Price justification? Or for that matter any of the BMW, Merc, Audi models.
Well said - may I also add CRV , Cruze ( retails for AED 55,000 in UAE which is INR 7 lakhs !) to the list ? I think its futile to compare " what is being offered in India as compared to US, Europe, etc " . The market dynamics are different, tax structures are different - its only worthwhile to compare across peer group. IMO , effectiveness of the AC is more than the ACC . Given whats on offer in the Jetta ( engine tune, space , build) I think its a good buy at the offer price points.

I do think that we are trying too hard to predict ( here and elsewhere) VW's group strategy of stripping down the Skoda and promoting VW , I don't buy the arguement . These are 2 separate profit centres of significant sizes so I don't think VW would be foolish enough to do that - collaboration , co-ordination maybe but definitely not forced downgrading of Skoda

Last edited by souravc : 8th September 2011 at 12:13.
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 23:36   #126
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta 2011 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The first car to be sold at Trivandrum. Its costs 16,0800 OTR at Trivandrum.
Its my friend's car and I didnt get time to drive it.
  • Looks wow even for the TrendLine
  • Felt spacious and usable middle row at rear
  • Looks it has enough ground clearance as photo proves
  • Rear looks SUVish + BWM 3ish?
  • Nice brake lights
  • 6 S !
  • Boot release from within boot! You cant kidnap people in the boot :P)
  • Boot release on RHS door
  • Waiting period of 2 months
  • DRL isnt LED !!!! Shame!
Dude! Does the Trendline come with the horrendous music system that Vento Highline has. Even the Vento is undergoing an upgrade for the music system. Does the Trendline music system also sound pretty bad (just as Vento one does). Or is it fine coz it may have better speakers?

The Laura Ambiente music system is pretty cool for an OEM. Doesn't look like there have been any corners cut in it. How does the Jetta Trendline fare?
Old 9th September 2011, 09:49   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey I was just reading the Jetta review on the Hindu business line and came across the following line:
Quote:
The new design headlamps now incorporate daytime running lights as standard, and there is also an LED package that is an optional addition.
Can the mods please comment on this? What is this supposed to mean?
Old 9th September 2011, 10:03   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey I was just reading the Jetta review on the Hindu business line and came across the following line:
Can the mods please comment on this? What is this supposed to mean?
It means that you get the actual facts over here!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 10:13   #129
BHPian

I wish the LED were optional though!

They look so awesome. Here is a comparison:
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_1754.jpg  

Old 9th September 2011, 10:30   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It means that you get the actual facts over here!
Hmmm I was afraid of hearing that . I totally agree that all other reviews including reputed ones like ACI are far from the truth. the above review that I quoted for instance doesn't even mention the lack of ACC in the whole review.
But anyways for a second I thought may be I am in for a surprise.
Old 9th September 2011, 12:02   #131
BHPian

Must first congratulate Rudra sen for such a detailed and well written view of the Jetta . But myself personally i am disapointed with this product . Though VW has given this car a fantastic starting price tag of under 14 lakh Rs , the top end model itches itself out of the likes of the Laura and also forays into the teritory of the Fortuner . Its seems shocking for me that VW has not given climate control for a car of this cadre . One more thing VW is trying to do and might prove to be costly for them in the near future is the sense of styling !. Of course this car looks classy modern with those sharp lines , more like european style , this might work in Europe but not here in India . When a customer is spending 20+lakh on a luxury car he would want something that stands apart from the crowd and not a car which looks like a 6lakh+ hatch . Overall a good job done at this car and better is that they have launched the top spec model with a manual transmission .
Good luck VW

Red's ..
Old 9th September 2011, 13:24   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
When a customer is spending 20+lakh on a luxury car he would want something that stands apart from the crowd and not a car which looks like a 6lakh+ hatch . Overall a good job done at this car and better is that they have launched the top spec model with a manual transmission .
Good luck VW
This has been discussed so many times before mate. A 7 series costing 80-90+L looks pretty similar to a 3 series costing just 30L. Your views on that?

BTW is it possible to get the LED DRLs on the Jetta? Are they available on the Euro spec car? Import them may be?

Last edited by drmohitg : 9th September 2011 at 13:26.
Old 9th September 2011, 13:52   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
When a customer is spending 20+lakh on a luxury car he would want something that stands apart from the crowd and not a car which looks like a 6lakh+ hatch . Overall a good job done at this car and better is that they have launched the top spec model with a manual transmission .
Good luck VW
If you have not seen the car in person, I would HIGHLY recommend you do so. As far as resemblance is concerned, the rear of a 20+lakh car resembles the rear of a 35+lakh. (see photo attached).
What would you like to say about that?

Quote:
BTW is it possible to get the LED DRLs on the Jetta? Are they available on the Euro spec car? Import them may be?
AFAIK I know, the Euro spec also doesn't get LED DRLs. These are custom fit. They are generally referred to as 1156 102 SMB LEDs on online stores (Chinese ones).
Cheapest E-Bay (US) costing comes to Rs. 700 free shipping if imported.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-jetta_vs_a4.jpg  

lamboguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 15:04   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
I wish the LED were optional though!

They look so awesome. Here is a comparison:
You can change the 21w DRLs to LEDs. You will only have to put an LED bulb in there which is CANBUS compliant.
Old 9th September 2011, 16:06   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

A small point I wanted to make here.

DRLs do NOT necessary have to be LED lights although the overwhelming global trend is for LEDs. This is due to the inherent low power consumption of LEDs and the 'always-on' nature of DRLs. Another example of an 'Indian' car with halogen DRLs is the facelifted Skoda Fabia with foglight DRLs. However, I believe the Laura VRS does have actual LED DRLs.

W.r.t. the VW Jetta, are people talking of LED custom DRLs, replacing the halogen 'DRL' bulbs with OEM LED bulbs or fitting an aftermarket set like the recently launched Philips Daylight LEDs?

The first is an enormously expensive affair usually needing complete headlight/tail light/foglight unit replacement and look stunning (but IMHO a bit too garish and in your face) like the recent Audi models .

The second is simply a plug-and-play change of the existing 5W (probably) DRL bulbs to a LED bulb with a compatible base (wedge, bayonet, screw-type, offset bayonet etc. more commonly known by codes such as 1156/7, 3156/7 etc.)

The third is to buy and fit aftermarket accessories like the Philips set. These need to be located at an appropriate place on the vehicle's bumper or front grill and wired directly to the battery (always-on) or in tandem with parking lights.

With the Jetta, VW India have simply provided a halogen bulb in a rather slim separate DRL enclosure. IMHO, fitting even a LED bulb will not be much use due to very limited space and lack of wow factor.

Changing the headlight units WOULD make a difference but sourcing such high quality units would be pretty expensive, would most likely violate VW's strict warranty rules, may lead to persistent CANBUS/ECU error codes and simply may not be worth it!
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks