Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 17:11   #136
BANNED

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lastly, more back seat space aside, the Skoda Laura L&K makes a compelling case for itself versus the Jetta.
Rush, given an option, for someone looking to own one of these vehicles beyond their warranty period given by their manufacturers and to use them as the only mode of transport in the city and across highways/all kinds of roads with 4-5 people, which one would you recommend?
Old 9th September 2011, 19:05   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
If you have not seen the car in person, I would HIGHLY recommend you do so. As far as resemblance is concerned, the rear of a 20+lakh car resembles the rear of a 35+lakh. (see photo attached).
What would you like to say about that?

AFAIK I know, the Euro spec also doesn't get LED DRLs. These are custom fit. They are generally referred to as 1156 102 SMB LEDs on online stores (Chinese ones).
Cheapest E-Bay (US) costing comes to Rs. 700 free shipping if imported.
Good observation. Yes the rear looks a lot like the A4 !.. Good move by VW on that front , but still there's this 'WOW' factor lacking in this car ( all VW cars are classy rather than eye catching designs) , another point I wanted to make note of is the absence of projector lights (forget Xenon's ). The previous generation did not have them , maybe VW could have given them this time
Old 9th September 2011, 20:51   #138
BHPian

Just booked the Jetta Trendline today. Interior Plastic Quality is terrible for a car costing as much. But was left with no choice in the segment.
Already had a Laura and also since new model is due next year didn't want to be stuck with an old model. Also rear seat space was lesser than the Jetta. Cruze was a stonker, but I couldnt "fit" into the back seat.
Altis D very underpowered and had a long waiting period. Fluence has the WORST SALES TEAM, not bothering about sending me a quote and test drive vehicle inspite of 4 calls!
Yeti was interesting, but again too cramped in the rear.
Old 9th September 2011, 22:14   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
Just booked the Jetta Trendline today. Interior Plastic Quality is terrible for a car costing as much. But was left with no choice in the segment.
Already had a Laura and also since new model is due next year didn't want to be stuck with an old model. Also rear seat space was lesser than the Jetta. Cruze was a stonker, but I couldnt "fit" into the back seat.
Altis D very underpowered and had a long waiting period. Fluence has the WORST SALES TEAM, not bothering about sending me a quote and test drive vehicle inspite of 4 calls!
Yeti was interesting, but again too cramped in the rear.
This is the EXACT reason (or reasons) why even I booked the Jetta (comfortline though).
However if you go through some of the previous posts, owners of old jetta have pointed out that soft plastic hasn't been that delightful to maintain over a long period of time. So I'd be happy with the hard plastic move of VW.
Also lack of Chrome inserts on the Trendline tends to give you that feeling!
Old 9th September 2011, 23:39   #140
Senior - BHPian

Mpower,

Do take a look at these Images attached, we have a black paper roll around the handles now to ensure they do not completely peel off and expose the white bottom,

I understand a lot of people here are in a way or another disappointed by the Jetta, and I completely respect the opinions but don't let a few things keep you away from a wonderful car, do try it you will never regret, options like ACC etc. might make you feel better but will it reduce any value to the over all experience of owning a car? Do think of it, it will not, but will not further stress on these points as we all look for something or another in our cars and perhaps I come from a background where the toys are last spoken for,

Regards,

P.S The pictures are of a 2009 Jetta 1.9TDI DSG with 41K on the odo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

Very interesting piece of information. Could you provide pictures please? All the cars mags make a big deal out of soft touch plastics without understanding the potential the long term issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Excellent point. It’s always interesting to know how a car hold together after a couple of years of use. Along with the cost-cutting , maybe this could be another reason for changing to ‘not so soft’ plastics.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-jetta-door1.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-jetta-door2.jpg  

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 9th September 2011 at 23:40.
S350L-E240 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 00:35   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Mpower,

Do take a look at these Images attached, we have a black paper roll around the handles now to ensure they do not completely peel off and expose the white bottom,

I understand a lot of people here are in a way or another disappointed by the Jetta, and I completely respect the opinions but don't let a few things keep you away from a wonderful car, do try it you will never regret, options like ACC etc. might make you feel better but will it reduce any value to the over all experience of owning a car? Do think of it, it will not, but will not further stress on these points as we all look for something or another in our cars and perhaps I come from a background where the toys are last spoken for,

Regards,

P.S The pictures are of a 2009 Jetta 1.9TDI DSG with 41K on the odo.
Well IMHO this is shocking. I have a 2008 Cedia with 49k on the odo and i dont see any such thing. I wonder what quality interiors VW uses !
Old 10th September 2011, 01:00   #142
Senior - BHPian

No No, ethanhunt123,

Please do not take it wrong, VW quality is good, those pictures were about the soft touch feel that is used by some kind of Paint / Coat on the white plastics and while it feels nice when new this is what happens over time and which is why I am only trying to say the rough plastics used in the new Jetta are more durable.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Well IMHO this is shocking. I have a 2008 Cedia with 49k on the odo and i dont see any such thing. I wonder what quality interiors VW uses !
Old 10th September 2011, 01:29   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
No No, ethanhunt123,

Please do not take it wrong, VW quality is good, those pictures were about the soft touch feel that is used by some kind of Paint / Coat on the white plastics and while it feels nice when new this is what happens over time and which is why I am only trying to say the rough plastics used in the new Jetta are more durable.

Regards,
I don't know what is this fuss about the 'poor' interior quality The dashboard and central console is of high quality. The doors are of average 'quality'. And after looking at these pics posted, I am fine with them. I think this car excels in so many other parameters that we can let go of one 'door' hard plastics.

I am very very surprised that nobody makes ant fuss over Altis' mediocre plastics 'all over the car'. I think we Indians generally give more room for error to the Japs. Simple as that..
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 08:44   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys any idea whats the booking amount for the Jetta? The dealer is asking for 1.5L. Isn't that a lot? Should I bargain with him on this or just go with it?
Old 10th September 2011, 08:48   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
Hey guys any idea whats the booking amount for the Jetta? The dealer is asking for 1.5L. Isn't that a lot? Should I bargain with him on this or just go with it?
The dealer had seemed to have asked the amount which is standard for Jetta bookings (even I've paid the same at Downtown VW Mumbai. This is pretty high compared to cars like Altis where booking amount is 50k and FULLY REFUNDABLE. VW

VW also charges around 15k cancellation fees in case you change your mind!

(mods please merge this post with the previous one. Accidentally sent the previous post from mobile app before completing)

Last edited by Vid6639 : 10th September 2011 at 08:59. Reason: merging posts. Please edit existing post if posting with 30mins.
Old 10th September 2011, 10:31   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post

I am very very surprised that nobody makes ant fuss over Altis' mediocre plastics 'all over the car'. I think we Indians generally give more room for error to the Japs. Simple as that..
Comments on the interior quality of the new Jetta are fair enough. Reason for that being the old Jetta has nicer quality materials.

Now the Altis has slightly better quality materials than old Corolla. And if the upcoming 2012 Civic has poorer quality materials than the current Civic, expect the same criticism that the new Jetta is getting.

So when Jetta's interiors are criticized, its not in comparison with Altis or Civic, but with the old Jetta. We expect newer cars to be better than older cars in all the departments!

Last edited by SmartCat : 10th September 2011 at 11:01.
Old 10th September 2011, 11:25   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile

I don't know what is this fuss about the 'poor' interior quality The dashboard and central console is of high quality. The doors are of average 'quality'. And after looking at these pics posted, I am fine with them. I think this car excels in so many other parameters that we can let go of one 'door' hard plastics.

Probably because Altis is in a different consideration set ? Altis with its low powered engine is primarily for chauffer driven purpose, while Jetta's audience is more towards self driven where people compare it to Laura which has top notch interiors. BTW Cruze is also criticized for not so great quality plastics.

PS: Personally I feel all Toyota's sold in India have not so great interiors when compared to competition - Liva, Etios, Innova, Corolla, Fortuner
Old 10th September 2011, 12:59   #148

Ive paid Rs.50K to book the new Jetta comfortline in white on the 1st of September. Had a fabulous dealer experience with people who went out of their way to show me the car. Besides i think that the booking amount that we pay is anyway used as interest free working capital till the cars are despatched from the Company. Just my hunch . Don't know if the booking amount is actually deposited with the company.

regards
Old 10th September 2011, 13:09   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicedude View Post
Ive paid Rs.50K to book the new Jetta comfortline in white on the 1st of September. Had a fabulous dealer experience with people who went out of their way to show me the car. Besides i think that the booking amount that we pay is anyway used as interest free working capital till the cars are despatched from the Company. Just my hunch . Don't know if the booking amount is actually deposited with the company.

regards
Hmm this is strange now. I thought that it will be the same across the country. Anyways thats a huge difference since I was asked to deposit 1.5L. Why VW Why?
What is the period for your car? Even I am booking White comfortline.
Old 10th September 2011, 13:17   #150

20 days to a month is what I've been told so fingers crossed. Dont think VW decides on the booking amount charged though .Think its the dealers prerogative.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks