Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2011, 19:53   #301
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
Congrats for picking up The Right Choice

I picked up my Black Beauty - HL AT recently & have driven approx 700 Kms including a 100 Km trip to the Balaji Temple near Pune. It has been a great experience & will continue to share more.
Superb choice. When are you going to put up an ownership thread? And some pictures too.

Did you get any accessories like sun control film, mud flaps, floor mats or something else?
druk75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 22:03   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey I am not sure if I can post this here but does somebody have any idea why SVP of the CnB show never featured the new Jetta on there show? Is Ndtv not on good terms with VW? Or did I miss that episode by mistake?
Old 18th November 2011, 11:46   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druk75 View Post
Superb choice. When are you going to put up an ownership thread? And some pictures too.

Did you get any accessories like sun control film, mud flaps, floor mats or something else?
Thanks druk75. In fact I had followed the forum extensively & a BIG thanks to Rudra & t-bhp for helping me make the decision.

I am working on the review. Hope to have it in towards end of the month. Will try to share some pictures before that.

I went for a Lumar PP 60 for the windows & rear screen. I have also installed Lumar Air 80 for the windshield. It is virtually transparent & I did not face any difficulty in night driving (Have not got a chance to drive in the rains but doubt it will be an impediment). However with the sun shining down from the front, the A/c cooling differential is noticeable.

I went for the 3D mats but have gone the conservative route & opted for black ones instead of beige (in fact I quite like the black contrast on beige interiors - all beige looked a little over the top).

No mud flaps till now & was not thinking of putting any but have been advised by a learned friend that not putting mud flaps would have a negative impact on the paint work - especially in the rainy season & new road construction - where tar etc could be picked up by the tires & stick to the body) - It will be great if anybody could advise on this piece as I am looking to make a choice in either direction - I don't think mud flaps will look cool on this car, but then do not want to spoil the paint work & am OK with that trade off.
Old 18th November 2011, 13:39   #304
BHPian

Quote:
I went for the 3D mats but have gone the conservative route & opted for black ones instead of beige (in fact I quite like the black contrast on beige interiors - all beige looked a little over the top).
Did you get the 3D mats designed for the new car or went for the old one?
Old 21st November 2011, 12:25   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalaSNKL View Post
Did you get the 3D mats designed for the new car or went for the old one?
I didn't find any 3Ds specific to the new car. There was a new car specific mat being provided by the showroom but @ INR 8800 did not seem worth the price. The 3Ds that I have put in are for the older car & costed me INR 5500. They fit the front footwells pretty well & are slightly small for the rear footwells, but overall gives good protection & look good too
Old 21st November 2011, 16:03   #306
BHPian

The old Jetta and the Laura mats are one and the same. They are available for 3.5 K here in Cochin, but i was told for almost the same price the new Jetta mats will be available by December.
Old 21st November 2011, 19:25   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No mud flaps till now & was not thinking of putting any but have been advised by a learned friend that not putting mud flaps would have a negative impact on the paint work - especially in the rainy season & new road construction - where tar etc could be picked up by the tires & stick to the body) - It will be great if anybody could advise on this piece as I am looking to make a choice in either direction - I don't think mud flaps will look cool on this car, but then do not want to spoil the paint work & am OK with that trade off.
I've had the same dilemma with my Laura actually. I hate those mud flaps and have actually removed the OE mud flaps that came with the car . In my eyes these Euro design cars look so much better without them. But the flipside is keeping the body clean. My car has seen off one monsoon season. I don't have to drive in very muddy conditions so it has not been that tough to maintain. Read : one foam wash every weekend. Don't know if I can keep up the enthusiasm. But I did fix the mud flaps on for one particular outstation trip in the peak of monsoons, when I expected to pass through some pretty rough roads.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 23:25   #308
BHPian

^^Good to hear you have removed them in your car, Santosh. Was hesitant to do it in mine due to fear of maintenance, gives me confidence now to get rid of it, both front and back. Completely agree with Euro designs looking much better without them, my Polo doesn't have them and I always think Polo looks much better than Laura.
Old 22nd November 2011, 02:32   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey I am not sure if I can post this here but does somebody have any idea why SVP of the CnB show never featured the new Jetta on there show? Is Ndtv not on good terms with VW? Or did I miss that episode by mistake?
C&B did run an article on the Jetta launch. It was a 3 minute cover story that same week in August I believe. And though he did promise a detailed review as well as a shoot-out with the competition, it never saw the light of day.

Quote:
Thanks druk75. In fact I had followed the forum extensively & a BIG thanks to Rudra & t-bhp for helping me make the decision.

I am working on the review. Hope to have it in towards end of the month. Will try to share some pictures before that.

I went for a Lumar PP 60 for the windows & rear screen. I have also installed Lumar Air 80 for the windshield. It is virtually transparent & I did not face any difficulty in night driving (Have not got a chance to drive in the rains but doubt it will be an impediment). However with the sun shining down from the front, the A/c cooling differential is noticeable.

Even I believe the mud flaps spoil the look of the car. Decided against them for the time being. Anyway, the monsoon is done with and my driving is mostly confined to teh city with better roads. A good wash twice weekly is what I have planned, though as rightly mentioned above, hard to say how long the enthusiasm will last. In suncontrol films, I have decided on the Icecool range from Garware, the Shield for the front and ELITE for the sides and back. For the floor mats, my idea is to wait for the 3D mats till Dec-Jan, and in the meanwhile, I have asked the local upholstery works to resize and restitch an old set of carpet mats from my previous car, left behind as the buyer did not want them.
druk75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 00:21   #310
BHPian

Is this the right place to discuss which is a better option : wait for new Cruze...or buy the Jetta ?
Old 24th November 2011, 13:25   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatiagagan View Post
Is this the right place to discuss which is a better option : wait for new Cruze...or buy the Jetta ?
If time factor is not an issue, I suggest you wait for it. I'm waiting too.
Old 29th November 2011, 11:22   #312
BHPian

Took a 400 Kms drive to Mumbai & back on Saturday. What an awesome experience.

The car was rock steady at 125 Kph & there were times where I was doing 150 before I realized it & reduced speed

But for most part drove with a well behaved "Light foot" rather than a "Lead foot" keeping a steady 105 - 110 Kph on the express highway & here is what I get from my lady..

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20111126_104030.jpg
vkaul1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 12:49   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Took a 400 Kms drive to Mumbai & back on Saturday. What an awesome experience.
Awesome Mileage Vkaul! The Jetta is definitely the most fuel efficient car in this segment. Congrats!

When is your ownership thread coming out?
Old 29th November 2011, 16:20   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Awesome Mileage Vkaul! The Jetta is definitely the most fuel efficient car in this segment. Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
If time factor is not an issue, I suggest you wait for it. I'm waiting too.
Thanks DeKay.

Cruz was one of my first choice when I was looking for an upgrade and IMO it is terrific VFM. It is mind boggling the amount of kit they are offering at that price point. As I was looking for an auto box LTZ AT was the variant that I had looked at. But the breaking point for me was the back seat comfort. I had taken the test drive vehicle for a long TD & on the way back took the back seat behind the not too tall SE. While leg room was one aspect I felt the back seat per se (seating position, cushioning etc) was way behind Laura (which was the front runner for me at that time). As I like to take reasonably long drives with family a few times a year, it was a deal breaker atleast for me.
Old 6th December 2011, 10:27   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Spy Shots of VW Jetta

Rave reports on excellent mileage on the Jetta TDI - 2011

Auto blog reports on the US units:

"Even after half a year, we are still amazed at how easy it is to get excellent fuel mileage in the Jetta TDI. Official EPA ratings for the car are 30 city and 42 highway, but rarely do we fall below that average. Twice we have averaged more than 50 miles per gallon for a tankful, and only occasionally do we drop below 40 mpg on average. Apparently, only lead-foot Michael Harley, last month's caretaker of the Jetta TDI, knows how to get mediocre fuel mileage out of the 2.0-liter diesel four-cylinder, averaging around 35 mpg during his time with the car.

This admirable fuel mileage translates to well over 500 miles per tank (we went 608 miles in between our last two fill-ups), a pleasant change compared to the frequent stops necessary with other vehicles."

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI: November 2011

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th December 2011 at 10:44.

Most Viewed