Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 15:25   #316
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
If time factor is not an issue, I suggest you wait for it. I'm waiting too.
Even i've decided to wait for the new Cruze...
with so many cars "coming soon" in India...i don't think anyone should be buying a car this year...
Old 11th December 2011, 02:53   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Rave reports on excellent mileage on the Jetta TDI - 2011

Auto blog reports on the US units:

"Even after half a year, we are still amazed at how easy it is to get excellent fuel mileage in the Jetta TDI. Official EPA ratings for the car are 30 city and 42 highway, but rarely do we fall below that average. Twice we have averaged more than 50 miles per gallon for a tankful, and only occasionally do we drop below 40 mpg on average. Apparently, only lead-foot Michael Harley, last month's caretaker of the Jetta TDI, knows how to get mediocre fuel mileage out of the 2.0-liter diesel four-cylinder, averaging around 35 mpg during his time with the car.

This admirable fuel mileage translates to well over 500 miles per tank (we went 608 miles in between our last two fill-ups), a pleasant change compared to the frequent stops necessary with other vehicles."

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI: November 2011
I have been getting around 20 Kmpl on steady driving and nothing below 17 even with the "lead" foot.

This is what I was talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20111122_162035.jpg  

Last edited by Vid6639 : 4th February 2012 at 12:53. Reason: merging posts. Please edit existing post if posting with 30mins.
Old 12th December 2011, 14:12   #318
BHPian

The fuel efficiency of this vehicle is such a huge Bonus, considering FE was never a big priority at the time of selection and the ultimate purchase of my next set of wheels.

I just completed a 960 Kms round trip Pune-Goa-Pune and the FE figures simply blew my friends away, the car posted a FE of 18.9 KMPL on the MFD with a fair bit of tiptronic and sports mode usage.
Old 26th December 2011, 14:39   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayedongivadam View Post
The fuel efficiency of this vehicle is such a huge Bonus, considering FE was never a big priority at the time of selection and the ultimate purchase of my next set of wheels.

I just completed a 960 Kms round trip Pune-Goa-Pune and the FE figures simply blew my friends away, the car posted a FE of 18.9 KMPL on the MFD with a fair bit of tiptronic and sports mode usage.
Wow! That is really nice. If I may was the sports / tiptronic used primarily in the ghat sections or elsewhere on the highway also? How much running did you go locally in Goa?
Old 26th December 2011, 17:59   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
Wow! That is really nice. If I may was the sports / tiptronic used primarily in the ghat sections or elsewhere on the highway also? How much running did you go locally in Goa?
This friend of mine wanted to try out the car to which I said he could have a bit of the highway drive. He took over the car after Kolhapur into Sawantwadi across the Amboli ghat. He tried out the modes on the car and felt most comfortable with having his left hand 'doing' something! He drove the car almost exclusively in Tiptronic. On the return journey I had fun with her in the ghats and some crowded sections of the highway in Sports mode. Unbelievable, knock your socks off, this DSG I tell you!
Old 26th December 2011, 19:08   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayedongivadam View Post
This friend of mine wanted to try out the car to which I said he could have a bit of the highway drive. He took over the car after Kolhapur into Sawantwadi across the Amboli ghat. He tried out the modes on the car and felt most comfortable with having his left hand 'doing' something! He drove the car almost exclusively in Tiptronic. On the return journey I had fun with her in the ghats and some crowded sections of the highway in Sports mode. Unbelievable, knock your socks off, this DSG I tell you!
I absolutely know what you are talking about. I have driven a few ATs & absolutely nothing comes close to DSGs. Personally I had more fun playing the F1 driver with paddle shifters rather than using just the left hand
Old 4th January 2012, 10:57   #322
BHPian

Since the car has a phone button, has anyone tried enabling bluetooth? Especially the members who have put ownership threads. (Aurum, Ayedongivadam, vkaul1, druk75, lamboguy etc.)
Old 5th January 2012, 09:44   #323
BHPian

Hi.

My ownership thread is just about getting ready, but all I can tell you is, I have not tried it out yet.

Though, Aurum was trying getting it fixed in his car. The cost was somewhere around 15k at the dealership for the non OEM hardware, if my memory is not betraying me. and no, it wont work with the button on the steering wheel.

Last edited by druk75 : 5th January 2012 at 09:49.
Old 11th January 2012, 15:10   #324
BHPian

Today I have test driven Highline AT.
They do not have a manual TD vehicle. Overall I liked the car.
Auto Climate Control and Length Adjustable Arm rest sadly missing.
Boot is so huge, Wish they gave more space inside and kept boot less.
Old 19th January 2012, 23:03   #325
BHPian

Distinguished Members : Is it advisable to put a stock K&N replacement filter for my new Jetta ? I ask because I have seen a marked improvement in pick up my Diesel DeZire and huge improvement in the Honda City using a k&N FIPK. Thank you in advance
Old 20th January 2012, 10:29   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHawk View Post
Distinguished Members : Is it advisable to put a stock K&N replacement filter for my new Jetta ? I ask because I have seen a marked improvement in pick up my Diesel DeZire and huge improvement in the Honda City using a k&N FIPK. Thank you in advance
Just do a google on K&N and Air Mass Issues, K&N and Air Mass Concerns, K&N and Air Mass. You will get to hear both sides of the story. If i were you i would not risk any oil based filter given the number of reported cases of sensor failure.
rohitm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 23:10   #327
BHPian

Hi guys!

This is my first post on the forum. Feels great to share my experience on the new Jetta. We bought a Laura L&K last July. The car was a replacement to our old Laura which had clocked almost 200k kilometers. A month later we had to decide on a new car in the same bracket. After test driving the Cruze and Fluence diesel (I must say that there is not much choice in this segment), we decided to settle in for another Laura. But somehow it felt like an unwise decision as we had already lived with the car for more than four years. During this time the new Jetta was launched. After a brief view of the car, the interiors felt cheap compared to our Laura. But the car look awesome in the flesh. Just could not take my eyes off! It may have looked like a Vento on the first glance but I am sure that the matured and understated design grows on you gradually. The dealer told that the car carried a waiting period of one month approx. That was too long to wait and we were getting a Laura off the shelf.

Tough decision, I must say. One car had great interiors, long feature list but no manual option (L&K); the other had refreshing looks, a manual gearbox with 140 bhp engine but let down by average interiors. But the Jetta CL seemed to be a sensible decision in that it carried most of the useful features found on the Laura L&K, sans a climatronic and leather, and had a manual transmission.

Two months and more visits to the VW showroom. Car still on waitlist, still no decision. Period. One more month passed in the turmoil. Finally in December a Platinum Grey Jetta CL arrived with the dealer. The moment we saw the car we fell in love with it. My personal view was that it loooked its best in this colour. Everybody in the family agreed. So a few documentary formalities and a day later we were the proud owners of a Platinum Grey Jetta CL !!
Old 4th February 2012, 09:31   #328
BHPian

Here are some pictures.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc02955a.jpg

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc02965.jpg

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc03000.jpg

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc03009.jpg

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc03010.jpg

The first thing that I noticed was a missing cruise control that BalaSNKL has mentioned!! After much discussion and deliberation, I was made to believe that the cruise control had invariably slipped into some of the CL kits or was it that it had just missed my car's kit??
carizma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 12:48   #329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carizma View Post
Here are some pictures.
Congratulations Carizma, that’s a nice choice of colour. It will be great if you can start an ownership thread of your own. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carizma
The first thing that I noticed was a missing cruise control that BalaSNKL has mentioned!! After much discussion and deliberation, I was made to believe that the cruise control had invariably slipped into some of the CL kits or was it that it had just missed my car's kit??
That’s a bit strange. Why don’t you check with the dealership, or write directly to VW India?
Old 4th February 2012, 14:25   #330
BHPian

Thanks VB, I had a lot of discussion with the dealer but he insists that the CL doesnot come with cruise control. He even showed me the dealer booklet of car's specifications which doesnot mention this as a standard feature. I cross-checked with a few other dealers across NCR and Northern India but they too were confused.

As regarding VW India, I feel that the company is least bothered for its customers. My car is lying with the dealer workshop for repairs for the past five weeks. VW India has not made any effort to reply to repeated phone calls and emails to arrange the spares.

I just cannot understand why the car manufacturers take the Indian customers for granted. Why do they launch products when they do not have proper logistics for spare parts. Another good product marred by pathetic after sales service.

Most Viewed