Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2012, 00:16   #691
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Also to update, in the new Jettas (2013 model) available now, the trendline model has only 4 airbags instead of 6. I guess VW would gradually reduce features from the base model instead of passing on price increases. What really irks me is why all automakers think that safety features are expendable vs. the price. I mean, mine and my family's life and safety is the biggest luxury for me. Dont give me a stereo, but give me that extra pair of airbags anyday!!
bobbafett is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 07:07   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
Also to update, in the new Jettas (2013 model) available now, the trendline model has only 4 airbags instead of 6. I guess VW would gradually reduce features from the base model instead of passing on price increases. What really irks me is why all automakers think that safety features are expendable vs. the price. I mean, mine and my family's life and safety is the biggest luxury for me. Dont give me a stereo, but give me that extra pair of airbags anyday!!
Unfortunately, the car buying public (most of them) will plonk their money on a car that gives 0.5kmpl more (& costs less) than on a car that has better safety features but gives 0.5kmpl less (& cot a bit more). Thats why the manufacturers do this to keep the so-called prices in check.

Last edited by shivasuma : 16th December 2012 at 07:09.
Old 16th December 2012, 08:37   #693
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
This is a move for the better, Earlier the Trendline came with only Front Airbags(2). But now at least they are giving Side Airbags in addition
Old 16th December 2012, 09:15   #694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
This is a move for the better, Earlier the Trendline came with only Front Airbags(2). But now at least they are giving Side Airbags in addition
No the TL and CL both came with 6 airbags whereas the HL came with 8 airbags with the addition of 2 side rear airbags.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 12:50   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom

Nice. The DRLs should make the Jetta look even more hot from the front. Where are you sourcing the LEDs from?

BTW I'm a big fan of the glossy 16" Navarra alloys of the HL. They look absolutely gorgeous!
I ve ordered them from deal extreme. Although they arnt highly rated on the Jetta forums. But they cheap too compared to the other ones. Paid 350 bucks.
The alloys on the highline are really beautiful.
Old 16th December 2012, 13:26   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
I ve ordered them from deal extreme. Although they arnt highly rated on the Jetta forums. But they cheap too compared to the other ones. Paid 350 bucks.
I'm assuming you plan to replace the stock parking lamps with the LEDs right?

Sad that there's still no sign of ACC on the Jetta. Heard it is planned in the upcoming refresh. Btw any feature/kit additions to the CL trim that you know of? That was always the VFM trim.
Old 16th December 2012, 13:57   #697
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211

Those won't work. You will get an error on the MID. Check out the dkaile's Superb Tryst with destiny thread for more info
Old 16th December 2012, 14:31   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari

Those won't work. You will get an error on the MID. Check out the dkaile's Superb Tryst with destiny thread for more info
That sucks. I got the ones ayedongivadam recommended he s got a Jetta too. Lets see. I am looking to replace the drl s with them not the parking lights. I ll check out the superb thread thanks for the info.
Old 17th December 2012, 15:43   #699

I'm torn between the Jetta and the Elantra - seeking inputs pls.
Old 17th December 2012, 17:08   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzu View Post
Driving dynamics and performance is better in jetta , list of creature comforts is greater in elantra.
Old 17th December 2012, 17:15   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Depends on lot of things. In simple excitement of driving the Jetta is probably better. The AT box and the 2L diesel is far more fun to drive than the elantra.

Space wise the Jetta is slightly spacious and when you are sitting on the back seat you get a no nonsense drive.

In fact the best seat to be in a Jetta to me is the rear seat. The suspension is slightly stiffer in jetta and this translates to very less vehicle movement sitting in the rear seat.

The bad roads do not get into your nerves and high speed stability due to stiffer suspension is far better in Jetta.

Price being similar the Jetta is better.

Now is the new Jetta High line better than Laura L&K. Thats a different question
Old 17th December 2012, 17:17   #702
BHPian

The Elantra is cheaper than the jetta, it feels cheaper too,its got more "features" .
The engine,gearbox,chassis on the jetta are way superior.
I was in the same boat as you are, I have a corolla 9th gen. The jetta felt like a upgrade, the elantra didnt , I absolutely hated the colour of the elantra interiors while the light cream of the jetta seemed more classy.
Take a test drive , you'll find everything that little bit better on the Jetta, If you can live with the lack of features on the jetta and appreciate a sorted out chassis , the jetta will make you happy.
Old 17th December 2012, 17:27   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzu View Post
If you love driving, buy the Jetta. Its more responsive at low revs, the ride quality and quality in general is better and feels more solid. Buy the elantra if you want features (the seat cooler thing is a killer, really loved that), are ok with average dynamics. Also the service network is better. The space, FE are comparable (though I felt the Jetta to be tad more roomy).
Old 17th December 2012, 19:06   #704

Thanks guys. I've taken the test drive of the Jetta and LOVE it. Scheduled for the Elantra tomorrow.

The biggest concern at the moment is the service. In all other aspects Jetta seems to be much better. Ultimately the question is is it worth living with the service issues of a brilliant car vs great service of an average car?!
Old 18th December 2012, 12:10   #705
BHPian

Service is dependent on the dealer closest to your home. I am sure there are shitty Hyundai dealers and good vw dealers. My vw dealer experience has been as good as if not better than Toyota (I own 2 toyota s).
It's the owners attitude that reflects on the whole dealership.
I ve had bad experience with the Toyota dealer next to home and I ve had A Toyota dealer sell me engine parts over the counter when they wernt allowed when I explained I was putting in an aftermarket cam

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks