Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2012, 12:17   #706
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzu View Post
I'm torn between the Jetta and the Elantra - seeking inputs pls.
If price, A.S.S., resale value are a concern then Elantra is what you should go for.
However, if you're looking for driving pleasure and have deep pockets to spend on maintenance then Jetta is for you.

If you're looking for all the above in different proportions then I would recommend Altis.
Old 18th December 2012, 12:23   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
That sucks. I got the ones ayedongivadam recommended he s got a Jetta too. Lets see. I am looking to replace the drl s with them not the parking lights. I ll check out the superb thread thanks for the info.
Well I got the same ones & had ayedongivadam help me put those in. I can confirm that there is no error on MID & they are working beautifully
Old 18th December 2012, 12:24   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, if you're looking for driving pleasure and have deep pockets to spend on maintenance then Jetta is for you
You are kidding right . The car requires 10-14K a year for regular yearly maintenance. My first service was some 12K including oil and filter changes. I am sure the second will be around the same amount.

For swift i did 3 or 4 services around 2k -3K. For a 6L car i spent close to 6-9K. For an 19L car 12K is definitely cheaper.

The maintenance you are talking about is if the car fails or there is an issue. Current cars come with 2 year warranty. Not sure about extended warranty which came with 2010 models that takes to 4years.

Any thing mechanical its replaced for 4 years. Electrical and not your fault get replaced for 4 years.

And for the 200 odd cars that gets sold a month i have seen minimal issues being raised in the last three years in this same forum and outside.

In us there is the infamous HPFP issue but that seems to be local to US and some in EU but none in India.

I disagree.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 12:25   #709
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
That sucks. I got the ones ayedongivadam recommended he s got a Jetta too. Lets see. I am looking to replace the drl s with them not the parking lights. I ll check out the superb thread thanks for the info.
Just found this site www.vagtuning.in they seem to have error free LEDs too. Check it out.
Old 18th December 2012, 12:34   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
You are kidding right . The car requires 10-14K a year for regular yearly maintenance. My first service was some 12K including oil and filter changes. I am sure the second will be around the same amount.

For swift i did 3 or 4 services around 2k -3K. For a 6L car i spent close to 6-9K. For an 19L car 12K is definitely cheaper.

The maintenance you are talking about is if the car fails or there is an issue. Current cars come with 2 year warranty. Not sure about extended warranty which came with 2010 models that takes to 4years.

Any thing mechanical its replaced for 4 years. Electrical and not your fault get replaced for 4 years.

And for the 200 odd cars that gets sold a month i have seen minimal issues being raised in the last three years in this same forum and outside.

In us there is the infamous HPFP issue but that seems to be local to US and some in EU but none in India.

I disagree.

Absolutely +1 to that. I have spent more than a year & 16K+ Kms on my Jetta. What I shelled out for the first service (at the end of 1 yr) was a shade less than INR 10K & on top of that it returns a brilliant FE. Also I did opt for the 4 year EW which gives a lot more peace of mind. Regarding the service experience I guess it is dealer dependent & till now the experience with BUB has been entirely satisfactory.

Personally I have found the expenses to be very reasonable for the class & size of vehicle. Yes the fact that I have spent on the BT module (which is apparently now standard in 2013 model) & keep spending @ 3M to keep up the "black pearl" looking fresh is entirely different
Old 18th December 2012, 12:36   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I spent INR 0.00 for my Corolla Altis in the first year and the estimated servicing charge for second year would be about INR 3-4K (on a higher side). Now I call that as low maintenance cost . Again, what is low cost for some people may be high cost for others depending upon how deep pocketed they are.

Last edited by nilambuj : 18th December 2012 at 12:49.
nilambuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 12:43   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzu View Post
I'm torn between the Jetta and the Elantra - seeking inputs pls.
Jay, I don't recall reading what your budget is.

The driving dynamics of the Laura and Jetta are far superior to those of the Elantra. Both of those are extremely neutral handlers; the same though cannot be said of the Elantra. That said, the Elantra is incredibly kitted and will quite simply put the Jetta to shame in that aspect. Moreover as far as the Jetta is concerned, I've always maintained that at upwards of 2 million bucks the Highline trim is not such a VFM proposition. I'd still stand by that statement despite the HL trim getting a BT kit and a few other upgrades.

I haven't personally driven the Elantra yet but we have a fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDI in the family and IIRC, the Elantra diesel uses the same power-plant under its hood in the same state of tune. I can tell you first hand that it is a very refined engine, pretty rev-happy right up the RPM range, very driveable in city traffic. Has a reasonably wide powerband too so you'll never feel the engine is running out of breath in varied driving conditions.

However since you brought up service; it is quite obvious Hyundai's service network if far more extensive and beats VW's hollow.

From that standpoint, why not also consider the Corolla Altis? It is also a very competent car in its own right. You never know what might tick those boxes for ya!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 18th December 2012 at 12:49.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 13:04   #713

Mod team note: Please wait for moderator approval for posts during the initial period. Thanks.

Thank you all.

@Omtoatom - I don't mind stretching a little for the Jetta. I do agree that the Elantra gizmos make the Jetta look primitive (maybe a little harsh) - however, the driving pleasure in the Jetta is fantastic - almost forgot to mention...I'm a thud addict!

Tried the Altis as well and I like the simple interiors, however, the damn thing takes forever to move - a bane on Bangalore roads!

Didn't know that 2013 gets a std BT kit, dont think it exists for the 2012 :( Anymore info on the 2013 Jetta, happy to wait a little longer if the new one gives me a better bang for my buck!

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th December 2012 at 13:10.
Old 18th December 2012, 15:47   #714
BHPian

If you buy now you'll get the one with Bluetooth. Unless the dealer sells you old stock.
Old 18th December 2012, 15:48   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilambuj View Post
I spent INR 0.00 for my Corolla Altis in the first year and the estimated servicing charge for second year would be about INR 3-4K (on a higher side). Now I call that as low maintenance cost . Again, what is low cost for some people may be high cost for others depending upon how deep pocketed they are.
Wow !! That would be a steal indeed. Is it a petrol / diesel? Not sure how it is so low, can you pls share more details.

I thought almost that much would be spent of the engine oil itself & then there would be consumables, tire balancing / rotation, labor etc... unless there is a BSI (BMW) kind of thing being offered by Toyota
Old 18th December 2012, 16:04   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
Wow !! That would be a steal indeed. Is it a petrol / diesel? Not sure how it is so low, can you pls share more details.

I thought almost that much would be spent of the engine oil itself & then there would be consumables, tire balancing / rotation, labor etc... unless there is a BSI (BMW) kind of thing being offered by Toyota
Its a petrol car. Moreover, if you look at the price of consumables and spares for Toyota, they are pretty cheap. Also, the maintenance cycle is not like a Honda that you have to service 2 or 3 times a year, I think if you drive like 10K in a year then you will require servicing only once a year.
nilambuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 19:59   #717
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilambuj

Its a petrol car. Moreover, if you look at the price of consumables and spares for Toyota, they are pretty cheap. Also, the maintenance cycle is not like a Honda that you have to service 2 or 3 times a year, I think if you drive like 10K in a year then you will require servicing only once a year.
I got my Honda City serviced only once a year with 10k running every year. The costs remained between 1500-2000 rupees only. I am pretty sure the Civic won't cost much more either.
Old 20th December 2012, 16:10   #718
BHPian

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13560000211244
paras211 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 21:02   #719
BHPian

Sorry. Above link is for projector headlamps for the jetta
Old 21st December 2012, 09:33   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post

Actually there are few variables that significantly enhance the amount of money that one spends on VW w.r.t Toyota:
  1. Toyota uses a semi-synthetic oil that costs about Rs. 250 per litre (so about Rs. 1000 for 4 liters). VW uses pure synthetic oil that costs about Rs. 1000 per litre (so about Rs. 4000 for 4 liters).
  2. VW diesel (or any modern diesel) requires fuel filter change in every service (every alternate service for some manufacturers). The fuel filter itself costs about Rs 1700 to Rs. 3500 depending upon whether only the filter element is being changed or the whole filter is being changed. Nilambuj sir's car is a petrol Toyota which requires fuel filter change at only about 1 Lakh kms (costs about Rs. 550 only).

Above two factors itself will push up the cost of servicing a VW diesel by Rs 5000 to Rs 6000 w.r.t. a petrol Toyota in every service.

A more apt comparison will be a comparison of Toyota diesel to VW diesel. In this case, only difference will be that of engine oil (semi synthetic of Toyota vs full synthetic of VW), rest of costs will be almost similar.

Quote:
Its a petrol car. Moreover, if you look at the price of consumables and spares for Toyota, they are pretty cheap.
Prices of engine related consumables and spares are reasonable for a petrol Toyota Altis. Diesel Altis spares are at par with other manufacturers (including VW) - I know this since one of my uncle owns a Jetta diesel and other uncle a diesel Altis - both are one year old now and have done their first service.

VW spare parts prices are similar to other manufacturers. Even Altis's brake pads costs Rs 15,000 and last about 24,000 kms- not exactly cheap. Its the labor costs that are the main culprit for VW. Their labor costs are simply exorbitant.

However, there is no denying of fact that overall a Toyota will prove to be far cheaper to service and maintain w.r.t. VW.
sarthakgupta is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks