Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2013, 10:14   #766
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The car did a 40km trip somewhere (to the dealers main workshop facility?)
Where's their main workshop? Some 20km away from the showroom?
Old 1st April 2013, 10:53   #767
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Where's their main workshop? Some 20km away from the showroom?
It is in Hessarghatta!
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:48   #768
BHPian

So it's official that extended warranty is discontinued by VW on all models except for polo and vento. Here is response from VW customer care:

Quote:
Dear Mr. *****,

Greetings from Volkswagen Passenger Cars, India.

This bears reference to your following email regarding the Jetta.

We would like to inform you that currently extended warranty is only available for the Polo and Vento and hence the mention of the same on our website.

Warm Regards,
Customer Care
Sales
Volkswagen Passenger Cars, India
Old 4th April 2013, 13:01   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Finally decided to take the plunge and booked the Jetta Trendline Diesel! Didn't want to stretch the budget for Comfortline. Also I thought some of the missing features can be added later. Delivery is expected in first or second week of April.

Since it's a trendline, some features are missing, and I wanted to know what things can I upgrade now or in near future:
  1. DRLs - I noticed that there are no holders for the DRLs in the headlight assembly. I was told that it is not easily possible to fit DRLs and the wiring is also missing. My guess is that it should not be too difficult to install the wiring and fit the DRLs. Does anyone have experience of doing this?
  2. Chrome trim on the front grille - For some reason VW decided that chrome trim is a premium thing . I have ordered a DIY Chrome moulding from ebay. Please share your experience if you have done this before.
  3. Headunit and Speakers - It's a pretty basic one and I can live with it for some time, having said that I would like to have a HU with USB or SD card slot and parking assistance (which is more important than USB/Bluetooth to me). Has anyone upgraded to RCD 510 or something better? Alternatively I am also thinking about something like Blaupunkt New York 800 with GPS and a reverse parking camera. Please share your experiences or suggest better alternatives. Thanks. Will also upgrade the number of speakers from the current four.
  4. Leather seat covers - This is not a priority but would like to do it in few months, though I am not sure how to deal with the side airbags or whether it is even possible to fit leather seat covers.
Also the sales person told me that extended warranty is no longer available on the Jetta. Is it true? When I had inquired about 6 months ago I was told that it was available for around 11k rupees.
Dear MandarMAX : Congratulations and welcome to the Jetta Club . I think you have made an excellent choice in going for the trendline as its real VFM + 6 airbags and all the safety goodies .

On DRL's : I was really disappointed and Mad @ VW when I took delivery that there was no socket for the DRL's in the H/L assembly . Played around with fitting those ones on ebay into the bumper but not worth the hassle. Save up and in 2 years once the warrantly goes upgrade to these Headlights and Xenons

Chrome trim on the front grille : No sweat on the DIY chrome strip . Buy the one with 3M tape or look up this guy United Customz on ebay as I have bought most of my VW stuff from him . Buy a good quality chrome strip with the right width and once you stick it trust me no one can figure out that its after market. On the edges use some feviquick as the original glue at the edges sometime does not hold. I went a lil berserk and used the strip inside on the interiors as well as on the front lower bumper ..

Headunit and Speakers - Trust me you will be concentrating and enjoying driving this beautiful machine rather than listening to Music. The basic unit is good enough , has a Aux-in for your mp3/ ipod/ phone. If you just upgrade the 4 speakers its enough . The day I got it, I installed the Reverse Parking sensors with the Rear View mirror built in display, in hindsight I recommend you get the Camera one instead .

Leather Seat Covers : I got a lot of flak for this ...but just could not live with the cloth covers. Go for AutoForm . The owner is a young guy called Sid who can be contacted on their Mkt email ID on their Ad's and you can mention me . They have special covers for the Jetta with a special stitching for the Front seat Airbags so they can deploy easily just in case . It takes about a month or so and is under 10k for the biege ones which match the interiors. The fitting was Awesome ...Wish the Jetta had a all black interior as I hate the biege stuff !!!

I also recommend the day you get the car, to please go change your tyres to Michelin same 225 SIZE AS THEY MAKE A lot of difference. Also buy those Kagu 3D mats and some 3M upholstery / fabric protector spray for your carpets and interiors. On the EW , I have been writing to them and I must say I am really disappointed by VW service and their Expat managers and total lack of customer friendliness or care . Even wrote directly to their CEO and he got my dealer to send me a mail saying that there is no EW for Jetta though the service adviser @ the VW workshop was ready to sell it to me thinking my jetta was a vento WHEN I TOOK it for its 1st service

I hope this helps. I will also upload some pics as they are on my home comp.

Cheers and have fun. Which colour by the way ?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-for_vw_new_jetta_sagitar_led_headlight.jpg_50x50.jpg  

MadHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 14:56   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHawk View Post
Dear MandarMAX : Congratulations and welcome to the Jetta Club . I think you have made an excellent choice in going for the trendline as its real VFM + 6 airbags and all the safety goodies .
Thanks MadHawk!

Quote:
Save up and in 2 years once the warrantly goes upgrade to these Headlights and Xenons
I have come to the same conclusion. Anyway the DRLs are fairly basic on the Jetta. It's nice to have them but I think I will not miss them in the long term.

Quote:
Chrome trim on the front grille : No sweat on the DIY chrome strip . Buy the one with 3M tape or look up this guy United Customz on ebay as I have bought most of my VW stuff from him . Buy a good quality chrome strip with the right width and once you stick it trust me no one can figure out that its after market. On the edges use some feviquick as the original glue at the edges sometime does not hold. I went a lil berserk and used the strip inside on the interiors as well as on the front lower bumper ..
I have already ordered and got delivered these - http://www.amazon.com/Cowles-S37740-.../dp/B000GKEZBY

I am thinking of putting two chrome strips at top and bottom parts of the grille somewhat like the Jetta Hybrid (and unlike the middle two lines that you normally get). I think it will slightly help in making the car look different from the Vento! (from the front, that is).

What was the width of the chrome strip that you used? Please share pics. I am not planning to use the chrome anywhere other than the grill though.

Quote:
Headunit and Speakers - Trust me you will be concentrating and enjoying driving this beautiful machine rather than listening to Music. The basic unit is good enough , has a Aux-in for your mp3/ ipod/ phone. If you just upgrade the 4 speakers its enough . The day I got it, I installed the Reverse Parking sensors with the Rear View mirror built in display, in hindsight I recommend you get the Camera one instead .
I am planning either Pioneer 5590BT HU or Blaupunkt New York 800. Also a person I know told me that he will try to source Blaupunkt Philadelphia which is specifically made for VW cars. (http://www.blaupunkt.de/index.php?id...fproducts2_pi1[view]=2163&no_cache=1&L=1).
I will take a decision based on the price. I will also get a reverse parking camera installed.

Quote:
They have special covers for the Jetta with a special stitching for the Front seat Airbags so they can deploy easily just in case .
I spoke to someone from Stanley and they told me that the airbags will deploy even if leather seat covers are installed. I am a skeptical about it. Will decide later.

Quote:
I also recommend the day you get the car, to please go change your tyres to Michelin same 225 SIZE AS THEY MAKE A lot of difference.
The standard tyres are 205/55R16, so are you recommending a size upgrade? I am planning to change the tyres to Michelin Primacy LC or Bridgestone Potenza GIII (Not sure which one is better though.) but I will not upsize them.

Quote:
I hope this helps. I will also upload some pics as they are on my home comp.

Cheers and have fun. Which colour by the way ?
It's Silver. Expecting delivery by 11th April, but I don't have much faith in the dealer who has been giving me different dates.

Also please don't forget to share the photos. Thanks again.
Old 4th April 2013, 15:59   #771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally decided to take the plunge and booked the Jetta Trendline Diesel! Didn't want to stretch the budget for Comfortline. Also I thought some of the missing features can be added later. Delivery is expected in first or second week of April.

Since it's a trendline, some features are missing, and I wanted to know what things can I upgrade now or in near future:
  1. DRLs - I noticed that there are no holders for the DRLs in the headlight assembly. I was told that it is not easily possible to fit DRLs and the wiring is also missing. My guess is that it should not be too difficult to install the wiring and fit the DRLs. Does anyone have experience of doing this?
  2. Chrome trim on the front grille - For some reason VW decided that chrome trim is a premium thing . I have ordered a DIY Chrome moulding from ebay. Please share your experience if you have done this before.
  3. Headunit and Speakers - It's a pretty basic one and I can live with it for some time, having said that I would like to have a HU with USB or SD card slot and parking assistance (which is more important than USB/Bluetooth to me). Has anyone upgraded to RCD 510 or something better? Alternatively I am also thinking about something like Blaupunkt New York 800 with GPS and a reverse parking camera. Please share your experiences or suggest better alternatives. Thanks. Will also upgrade the number of speakers from the current four.
  4. Leather seat covers - This is not a priority but would like to do it in few months, though I am not sure how to deal with the side airbags or whether it is even possible to fit leather seat covers.
Also the sales person told me that extended warranty is no longer available on the Jetta. Is it true? When I had inquired about 6 months ago I was told that it was available for around 11k rupees.
You could my best friend for a while now. I 'may' consider the TL if the CL prices me out. However, the basic nature of the TL kind of puts me off a little. I'd like to see how does a dressed up TL looks....

Can you please start a ownership thread? We don't have one for TL anyway.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 23:50   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks MadHawk!

I have come to the same conclusion. Anyway the DRLs are fairly basic on the Jetta. It's nice to have them but I think I will not miss them in the long term.

I have already ordered and got delivered these - http://www.amazon.com/Cowles-S37740-.../dp/B000GKEZBY

I am thinking of putting two chrome strips at top and bottom parts of the grille somewhat like the Jetta Hybrid (and unlike the middle two lines that you normally get). I think it will slightly help in making the car look different from the Vento! (from the front, that is).

What was the width of the chrome strip that you used? Please share pics. I am not planning to use the chrome anywhere other than the grill though.

I am planning either Pioneer 5590BT HU or Blaupunkt New York 800. Also a person I know told me that he will try to source Blaupunkt Philadelphia which is specifically made for VW cars. (http://www.blaupunkt.de/index.php?id...fproducts2_pi1[view]=2163&no_cache=1&L=1).
I will take a decision based on the price. I will also get a reverse parking camera installed.

I spoke to someone from Stanley and they told me that the airbags will deploy even if leather seat covers are installed. I am a skeptical about it. Will decide later.

The standard tyres are 205/55R16, so are you recommending a size upgrade? I am planning to change the tyres to Michelin Primacy LC or Bridgestone Potenza GIII (Not sure which one is better though.) but I will not upsize them.

It's Silver. Expecting delivery by 11th April, but I don't have much faith in the dealer who has been giving me different dates.

Also please don't forget to share the photos. Thanks again.
I agree those Projector lights with LED's are tempting but are for 20k so will wait for a year or so till warranty runs out

Chrome strip Size was 4mm and bought a 5meter strip. Pics I will share once I take a few from a decent camera over the weekend . Also bought 2 chrome cover caps for the steering and make the steering look and feel good as only the bottom part of the steering has a chrome strip. Will share pics later

The orignal sound is good but just replace the original speakers with some decent Pioneer 3 way speakers and you are good to go

Seat Cover Pics attached for you to judge yourself as I just could not live with the fabric ones . I guess its a personal thing.

Sorry , I quoted the wrong tyre size , I meant 205 Michelin Primacy LC . Pic attached . Just ensure the guy fills them with Nitrogen

I had a harrowing time with VW . After promising me delivery on the TL they suddenly came back a week before delivery and said sorry no TL but we can get you a CL or HL . Basically wanted to upsell me . Needed to raise hell at the VW expat manager level to get my TL delivered on time. I don't have good things to say about their customer service or sales folks in general . I guess it runs in the family ( Skoda )

Will share the front grill and steering chrome pics over the weekend . I also put some chrome exshaust tips which give the rear a nice look
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-jetta-e.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-michelin-640x480.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-back-seat-cover.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-front-seat.jpg  

MadHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 12:36   #773
BHPian

Dear MandarMax : Here you go with the chrome strip grill photo's.

IMHO the TL is real VFM . So go for it . The only things missing from the CL are

1. Leatherette seat covers
2. The wooden interior plastic decal
3. Chrome strip & DRL housing
4. MFD + . The MFD is good enough and you will only miss the door open display in the TL MFD
5. The slightly better display in the CL OEM the music system
6. STEERING with controls but again IMHO the 3 spoke steering is more sportier and has a better grip though some will say it is a straight lift from the Vento . Though it comes with good leather stitching.

You get all the safety features / airbags + alloys + Mechanicalss and its not that they are giving you black painted bumpers to distinguish it from the other variants.

Whetever VW will keep their promise on delivery etc is another question .

BTW has anyone remapped the ECU as the same engine has a 170 BHP output or so in the Audi Q3/A4 etc . Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-jetta-grill.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-jetta-steering.jpg  

MadHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 01:43   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Dear MandarMax : Here you go with the chrome strip grill photo's.

IMHO the TL is real VFM . So go for it . The only things missing from the CL are

1. Leatherette seat covers
2. The wooden interior plastic decal
3. Chrome strip & DRL housing
4. MFD + . The MFD is good enough and you will only miss the door open display in the TL MFD
5. The slightly better display in the CL OEM the music system
6. STEERING with controls but again IMHO the 3 spoke steering is more sportier and has a better grip though some will say it is a straight lift from the Vento . Though it comes with good leather stitching.

You get all the safety features / airbags + alloys + Mechanicalss and its not that they are giving you black painted bumpers to distinguish it from the other variants.

Whetever VW will keep their promise on delivery etc is another question .

BTW has anyone remapped the ECU as the same engine has a 170 BHP output or so in the Audi Q3/A4 etc . Thanks in advance
Not exactly the same engine. Maybe the block is same. Bigger turbo for sure on the 170 hp tdi.
Old 28th April 2013, 11:35   #775
BHPian

Quote:
In Pune, there is a 1.25 Lakh cash discount + 30k exchange bonus + depending on company corporate discount up to 22k + discount on insurance around 20k. This comes close to Rs. 2 lakhs. This offer is across all variants, petrol as well as diesel. This makes it quite a good deal in my opinion (and that's why I booked the car )
I hope that the dealership made you clear that the cash discount is only on 2012 models and not the new ones. I know, its been a while since you posted this but I wasn't a member earlier, to post this query in reasonable time.
Old 28th April 2013, 16:06   #776
BHPian

Purchased the Jetta TL diesel on 11th April. Completed exactly 1000kms as of today .

I would like to thank all the bhpians who have helped me during the buying process. Thanks for all the help.

Some pics:

Name:  IMG_1721_tonemapped_resized.png
Views: 4301
Size:  826.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1727_tonemapped_scaled.png
Views: 4149
Size:  735.9 KB

Name:  IMG_9503_tonemapped_resized.png
Views: 4400
Size:  753.4 KB

Name:  20130413_213833.png
Views: 4031
Size:  464.3 KB

Got new Japanese shoes for her (Yokohama AVS dB):

Name:  IMG_9296_resized.png
Views: 4868
Size:  701.1 KB

And this Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 headunit:

Name:  IMG_9311_resized.png
Views: 10974
Size:  636.2 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_treiber View Post
I hope that the dealership made you clear that the cash discount is only on 2012 models and not the new ones. I know, its been a while since you posted this but I wasn't a member earlier, to post this query in reasonable time.
That's right. I forgot to mention that part.
MandarMax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 16:17   #777
BHPian

The Blaupunkt HU looks great. But does this not void the warranty? The Pune dealership told me that the only other option I have is Caska (which I didn't quite like) so as to not void any warranties. The HU and ACC (not present) are only two things I would really like to see updated in this car. By the way, still haven't got my car. Planning to book one soon.
Old 28th April 2013, 16:29   #778
BHPian

And by the way, let me be the first one to congratulate you on your purchase and completing your first millennium of kilometres!! The night time picture of tail-lamps is just amazing!
das_treiber is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 17:28   #779
Senior - BHPian

Awesome pictures. The TL is amazing. This is my choice along with the Elantra. I am waiting for the Octavia. Who knows I may just plonk my money into the TL Jetta.

The yoko avs db are excellent tyres. Are these 205 ? What did they cost you after buyback of stock tyres I assume.

What is the cost of blaupunkt hu ? Does this have rear cam and sat nav too ?
Old 28th April 2013, 17:35   #780
BHPian

Quote:
The Blaupunkt HU looks great. But does this not void the warranty? The Pune dealership told me that the only other option I have is Caska (which I didn't quite like) so as to not void any warranties. The HU and ACC (not present) are only two things I would really like to see updated in this car. By the way, still haven't got my car. Planning to book one soon.
This headunit is made specifically for VW cars by Blaupunkt. It doesn't void the warranty as far as I know. The dealership offered only two options w.r.t. the HU, either Caska or MegaAudio. Both were as expensive as the Blaupunkt one.

I do not have great opinion about Caska and MegaAudio I think is just one of the white labelled Chinese brands. I decided to trust Blaupunkt and I am glad that I did!

Quote:
And by the way, let me be the first one to congratulate you on your purchase and completing your first millennium of kilometres!! The night time picture of tail-lamps is just amazing!
Thanks. Are you considering the Trendline version by the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Awesome pictures. The TL is amazing. This is my choice along with the Elantra. I am waiting for the Octavia. Who knows I may just plonk my money into the TL Jetta.

The yoko avs db are excellent tyres. Are these 205 ? What did they cost you after buyback of stock tyres I assume.

What is the cost of blaupunkt hu ? Does this have rear cam and sat nav too ?
Thanks. I too was waiting for the Octavia, but the discount on the Jetta was so tempting. Also considering that Skoda might launch the Octavia at the highest trim level initially meant it would have been out of budget until the launch of the cheaper variants.

The tyres are 205/55 R 16 stock size. I paid 14k for all 5 tyres after buyback.

The MRP of the Blaupunkt unit is 49990/- and I got roughly 5% discount. It comes with MapMyIndia navigation and it does support rear view cam (doesn't come with the HU though). I had ordered a trunk handle rear view camera from China, which arrived just today. Will get it fitted tomorrow.

Last edited by MandarMax : 28th April 2013 at 17:49.
MandarMax is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed