Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 20:46   #826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
However in case of Trendline the RCD030 system is really basic and has no CAN connectivity, as a result the cables are absent. As per my understanding it is possible to get the two outputs from the BCM by using a wire harness, however it requires detail pinout diagram of the BCM and the expertise to connect to it. This however is a risky thing to do if not done correctly, so I have personally not done it. Also it might void your warranty, so it probably is not worth it
Thanks ManderMax. A couple of more queries:
* if without the connectivity, data is not passed on between devices, then how did u manage to connect the camera? Does it only go into the HU directly. In that case, does it mean it won't get activated directly on engaging the reverse gear?
* is it possible to ask VW service guys to provide the harness you mentioned? And if yes, hope its not too expensive
Old 8th June 2013, 16:03   #827
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Got the camera fixed today. Now it's working fine. The installation guy connected something that looked like a capacitor. Could not identify the thing exactly as it was covered in insulation tape heavily. When I asked why? the guy told me his friend at Caska gave him that. I think it was taped because he did not want reveal his trade secret. I was in a hurry so I did not bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsoboy View Post
Thanks ManderMax. A couple of more queries:
* if without the connectivity, data is not passed on between devices, then how did u manage to connect the camera? Does it only go into the HU directly. In that case, does it mean it won't get activated directly on engaging the reverse gear?
* is it possible to ask VW service guys to provide the harness you mentioned? And if yes, hope its not too expensive
  • The common practice is to connect a cable from the reverse parking lights, which signals the HU that the reverse gear is engaged and so the camera view is turned on.
  • I haven't checked about the wiring harness, but I believe you don't even need to go to VW as these are standard cables that need to be connected to the BCM.
Old 8th June 2013, 16:23   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Got the camera fixed today. Now it's working fine. The installation guy connected something that looked like a capacitor. Could not identify the thing exactly as it was covered in insulation tape heavily. When I asked why? the guy told me his friend at Caska gave him that. I think it was taped because he did not want reveal his trade secret. I was in a hurry so I did not bother.
That's great. Peace of mind: D
As long as there were no wire cuts, it's fine.
For my car they had taken the connection from the head unit and it worked. I was seated in the car while they did that, making sure they would not snip a wire.

Is there any more flickering?
Old 8th June 2013, 20:00   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Blaze View Post
Is there any more flickering?
There is no flickering, just a couple of faint bands that appear once in a while, but they are visible only if you look carefully. Other than that it's working great. I just came back from a drive some time back and even in the evening low light the visibility is great. Need to see how it works during complete darkness. Anyway, it is now more confidence inspiring to reverse the car, especially in tight and crowded areas. So far, fitting the camera seems like a better decision than installing the parking sensors.
Old 8th June 2013, 23:42   #830
BHPian

Quote:
There is no flickering, just a couple of faint bands that appear once in a while, but they are visible only if you look carefully. Other than that it's working great. I just came back from a drive some time back and even in the evening low light the visibility is great. Need to see how it works during complete darkness. Anyway, it is now more confidence inspiring to reverse the car, especially in tight and crowded areas. So far, fitting the camera seems like a better decision than installing the parking sensors.
Yes, the 'Faint Bands' are visible on the screen in my car as well, but as you mentioned its quiet unnoticeable.
The reverse camera is so much more assuring than the parking sensors/ beepers. Those beeps would make me quiet nervous at times but no more.
The light emitted from the tail lamps is strong. Just had a situation today where it was pitch dark, but the lcd reverse cam screen was a joy.
Old 9th June 2013, 08:59   #831
BHPian

Quote:

[*]The common practice is to connect a cable from the reverse parking lights, which signals the HU that the reverse gear is engaged and so the camera view is turned on.[*]I haven't checked about the wiring harness, but I believe you don't even need to go to VW as these are standard cables that need to be connected to the BCM.
Hey MandarMax good to hear about your camera finally working. I was curious to know whether the RCD 510 supports a reverse camera or would I have to install the Philadelphia (not really interested in the other options available)? Just weighing the pros and cons because I'm not really unhappy with the current setup but still was curious.
Old 9th June 2013, 11:36   #832
Senior - BHPian

@AL

Check this thread to check if your RCD510 supports.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...ble-59376.html
Old 9th June 2013, 18:57   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'AL' View Post
Hey MandarMax good to hear about your camera finally working. I was curious to know whether the RCD 510 supports a reverse camera or would I have to install the Philadelphia (not really interested in the other options available)? Just weighing the pros and cons because I'm not really unhappy with the current setup but still was curious.
Hi AL - sorry but I don't have much experience or information regarding RCD 510. Hope you will find the necessary information on the link provided in the above post.

Cheers,
Mandar

PS: Probably we should plan a Pune Jetta owners meet sometime this or in next couple of months. That way we'll get to know each other and can share info on each others mods/accessories.
Old 10th June 2013, 09:49   #834
BHPian

Quote:
I think spec wise the Blaupunkt is much better and cheaper than RCD 510, though I must add that I do not have any experience with the 510.
Hi Mandarmax, hope the camera has lived up to expectation.

Need to know- Does the Philadelphia support the Redish Pink ambient lighting of the car?? The color is beautiful at night and adds to the overall appeal of the car. Really do hope it does.
Old 10th June 2013, 12:45   #835
BHPian

Quote:

PS: Probably we should plan a Pune Jetta owners meet sometime this or in next couple of months. That way we'll get to know each other and can share info on each others mods/accessories.

Absolutely. This has been overdue for a long time. With the monsoons making the nearby places nice & green, would be a good time to catch up one of the Sundays.
Old 10th June 2013, 12:47   #836
BHPian

Quote:
  • I haven't checked about the wiring harness, but I believe you don't even need to go to VW as these are standard cables that need to be connected to the BCM.
Hi, i found this cable on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-Seat-Sk...item20d31d0cab

Do you think this is what would be needed to convert the connectors in the philadelphia to the connectors available in trendline. I'm still not able to understand how the HU can be connected if the connectors are not available in the car. I did read about another person on the forum who upgraded his RCD 030 to 310, but that involved a bit of trimming/ attaching crimp type pins etc.
I'm probably being extra cautious because don't want to risk warranty etc. at all.
Your help is greatly appreciated
Old 10th June 2013, 15:34   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Blaze View Post
Hi Mandarmax, hope the camera has lived up to expectation.

Need to know- Does the Philadelphia support the Redish Pink ambient lighting of the car?? The color is beautiful at night and adds to the overall appeal of the car. Really do hope it does.
It does allow selection of backlight color (for buttons and knobs). There are multiple color options available and you can customize the colors. The standard red color is also available and it perfectly matches rest of the lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
Absolutely. This has been overdue for a long time. With the monsoons making the nearby places nice & green, would be a good time to catch up one of the Sundays.
Let's do this. By the way, did you get my PM regarding tyres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsoboy View Post
Hi, i found this cable on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-Seat-Sk...item20d31d0cab

Do you think this is what would be needed to convert the connectors in the philadelphia to the connectors available in trendline. I'm still not able to understand how the HU can be connected if the connectors are not available in the car. I did read about another person on the forum who upgraded his RCD 030 to 310, but that involved a bit of trimming/ attaching crimp type pins etc.
I'm probably being extra cautious because don't want to risk warranty etc. at all.
Your help is greatly appreciated
Looks like an adapter for fitting new HUs into old VW cars. It is not needed for the Jetta. There are bunch of connectors that come with Philadelphia and they are sufficient. The wiring I had mentioned in my earlier post was for getting CAN connectivity from the BCM and I do not think there is any readymade harness or adapter for that.
Old 11th June 2013, 17:53   #838
BHPian

Dear Jetta owners,

Need assistance

I was hoping to get chrome trims fixed on the windows of my car. But I'm unable to find any in the market.
No luck online either. Does anyone know where the same could be sourced from?

The dealer does not have them either.
Old 11th June 2013, 23:47   #839
Senior - BHPian

http://www.amazon.com/2011-2012-VOLK.../dp/B006XK9Y2Q

ecstuning

Check in these two sites. ECSTUNING may ship to India as well or you can ask any travelling friends to carry it for you.
Old 12th June 2013, 10:01   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/2011-2012-VOLK.../dp/B006XK9Y2Q

ecstuning

Check in these two sites. ECSTUNING may ship to India as well or you can ask any travelling friends to carry it for you.
Thank you for the link VW2010.

My concern is: Will the after market fit look flimsy? Am guessing the fit wouldn't be as perfect and striking as the OEM on the Superb or Passat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks