Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2013, 18:36   #886
BHPian

Hi all, need some help. Has anybody got a boot handle camera installed for the Jetta from the authorised dealer. I have seen the original VW cameras on eBay but my dealer is saying only the bumper mounted camera can be installed and there is no provision for the boot handle kind. I'm really not interested in the bumper mounted camera but have to stick to the options given by dealer in order to protect the warranty.
If anybody here has installed the boot camera here from the dealer itself, I can site the example and ask him to check again.
Thanks in advance
Old 25th July 2013, 17:52   #887
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
My neighbor has booked a Jetta AT
I had seen some mention of unreliability of DSG transmission on the forum. Since I do not follow top end cars much, I'm unaware of this DSG issue.

I guess the Jetta AT comes with the DSG transmission. Can someone enlighten me more on the DSG issue, on whether I should alert my neighbor on anything? What should be a mangoman's take on this. He is upgrading from a City.

Last edited by thoma : 25th July 2013 at 17:56.
Old 25th July 2013, 18:07   #888
BHPian

Quote:
I had seen some mention of unreliability of DSG transmission on the forum. Since I do not follow top end cars much, I'm unaware of this DSG issue.

I guess the Jetta AT comes with the DSG transmission. Can someone enlighten me more on the DSG issue, on whether I should alert my neighbor on anything? What should be a mangoman's take on this. He is upgrading from a City.
The 6 speed DSG used in VAG diesels has not known to be problematic unlike the 7 speed DSG used in the petrols. I would say its ok, but VW should have offered 3rd and 4th year extended warranty on the Jetta (which is currently not being offered).
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 19:07   #889
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I guess the Jetta AT comes with the DSG transmission. Can someone enlighten me more on the DSG issue, on whether I should alert my neighbor on anything?
The DSG issues reported were predominantly on the 7-speed DSG, and in India the problem was specific to Superb petrol DSG because it was the only model which had that transmission. The newer ones are said to be trouble-free and got its way to the recently introduced Polo GT TSI, 2013 Laura TSI etc. And the same gearbox is expected to feature in the upcoming Octavia 1.8 TSI.

The Jetta AT carries a 6-speed DSG, which is also seen in Laura TDI, Superb TDI etc. At least I have not seen any reliability issue with this one. If your neighbor can afford the highline AT, that’s the variant to go for IMO
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 19:32   #890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
The 6 speed DSG used in VAG diesels has not known to be problematic unlike the 7 speed DSG used in the petrols
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The DSG issues reported were predominantly on the 7-speed DSG, and in India the problem was specific to Superb petrol DSG because it was the only model which had that transmission. The newer ones are said to be trouble-free and got its way to the recently introduced Polo GT TSI, 2013 Laura TSI etc.
Wow, thanks for the quick updates. He has booked one Highline AT and is waiting since 2 months. And it was only recently that I realized that the AT is using the DSG box and when I read some blanket negative review on the DSG.

Quote:
At least I have not seen any reliability issue with this one. If your neighbor can afford the highline AT, that’s the variant to go for IMO
Special thanks to the Distinguished - BHPian for realizing my concern and the additional information on the DSG. Being a Team-BHPian, imagine if I gave wrong info (without clarifying on the blanket statement on the DSGs) to my neighbors

Last edited by thoma : 25th July 2013 at 19:46.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 02:07   #891
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I just couldn't sleep! This decision about Jetta is killing me, can you guys suggest and help me in what version shall I be choosing ,the AT or the MT ?? Just loved the DSG but in all split mind regarding maintainenece etc, and this would be our first time using an automatic , while heart is done t mind started playing tricks. I would really appreciate your insights
Old 4th August 2013, 09:59   #892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Hi Guys,

I just couldn't sleep! This decision about Jetta is killing me, can you guys suggest and help me in what version shall I be choosing ,the AT or the MT ?? Just loved the DSG but in all split mind regarding maintainenece etc, and this would be our first time using an automatic , while heart is done t mind started playing tricks. I would really appreciate your insights
Few of the posts above on this page clarify on reliability aspect of DSG DQ250.

There is no heavy maintenance required for DSG gearbox, just Gear Oil change at specified kilometers. Although gear oil is expensive but a few thousands should not really matter to a person spending 20+ Lakh rupees on a car.

Have you already driven the DSG variant? If not, please do drive it properly before making the final decision. It's highly likely that you will be impressed. If you want a realistic picture on its ownership just go through a few ownership threads, there might not be many Jetta DSG threads around but even Laura DSG has the same Engine and Gearbox, you will plenty of ownership thread for Laura(including my thread).
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 09:59   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Go with the dsg eyes closed. This was our first automatic as well. There is no extra maintenance required
'AL' is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 10:42   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Few of the posts above on this page clarify on reliability aspect of DSG DQ250.

There is no heavy maintenance required for DSG gearbox, just Gear Oil change at specified kilometers. Although gear oil is expensive but a few thousands should not really matter to a person spending 20+ Lakh rupees on a car.

Have you already driven the DSG variant? If not, please do drive it properly before making the final decision. It's highly likely that you will be impressed. If you want a realistic picture on its ownership just go through a few ownership threads, there might not be many Jetta DSG threads around but even Laura DSG has the same Engine and Gearbox, you will plenty of ownership thread for Laura(including my thread).

Hello Anshuman,

I have already driven the DSG and throughly enjoyed it. No hesitation there. I have heard and came across threads about DSG overheating issue etc, as i am completely unaware of the oil change, will it has to be done in the usually per year service or ?? Moreover i am now a bit relaxed as VW extended warranty for jetta is available at hyderabad dealers.

And i would really appreciate if you could tell me how these DSG's are driven in traffic, when i test drove the car i was holding on to the brakes when stopped at a signal with the gear lever in 'D' is this correct or should it be changed to 'N'
-------------------------------------

Hi All,

Previously i remember someone(My bad- don't remember who it was ) asking me about the exteneded warranty for Jetta. It looks like it is indeed available in Hyderabad. And according to the sales rep i spoke to VW planning to introduce it all over india by october 2013. This was confirmed by Mody VW himayatnagar, shall check the same with Jubliee hills PPS Motors. However VW deccan denies it( VW never gets it right does it!?)

Please let me know if anyone else from Hyderabad have heard of the same.

Last edited by .anshuman : 4th August 2013 at 10:55. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 4th August 2013, 11:08   #895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Anshuman,

I have already driven the DSG and throughly enjoyed it. No hesitation there.

Quote:
I have heard and came across threads about DSG overheating issue etc, as i am completely unaware of the oil change, will it has to be done in the usually per year service or ?? Moreover i am now a bit relaxed as VW extended warranty for jetta is available at hyderabad dealers.
Please point out the thread to me. AFAIK there is not a single overheating issue reported for Wet type DQ250. However, i came across some overheating issues reported for problematic Dry type DSG DQ200, none of those issues were from India.

My advice for you is- You are going to spend your hard earned 20 Lakh Rupees, please do your research properly, do not go for pre conceived notions and hearsay. There is ample information on the forum, just SEARCH for it.

Search for Skoda Laura service schedule information on the forum and you will find the maintenance schedule.

Quote:
And i would really appreciate if you could tell me how these DSG's are driven in traffic, when i test drove the car i was holding on to the brakes when stopped at a signal with the gear lever in 'D' is this correct or should it be changed to 'N'
Just drive it like you would drive any other Automatic. Just do not hold the car from rolling back on an incline using just the accelerator, use the brakes instead. And do not use the accelerator with brakes pressed, this is all plain good common sense, if would do all this to any other type of Automatic gearbox- Torque converter type or CVT even they will get damaged.

For waiting in traffic for long duration just shift to N or P, for short time period holding it in D with brakes pressed is absolutely OK. The owner's manual for these Euro cars have all the information you want(and some more). Just go through the owner's manual on day 1 and you will not get to post a query
here for simple stuff.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 17:01   #896
BHPian

Quote:

Please point out the thread to me. AFAIK there is not a single overheating issue reported for Wet type DQ250. However, i came across some overheating issues reported for problematic Dry type DSG DQ200, none of those issues were from India.

My advice for you is- You are going to spend your hard earned 20 Lakh Rupees, please do your research properly, do not go for pre conceived notions and hearsay. There is ample information on the forum, just SEARCH for it.

Search for Skoda Laura service schedule information on the forum and you will find the maintenance schedule.

Just drive it like you would drive any other Automatic. Just do not hold the car from rolling back on an incline using just the accelerator, use the brakes instead. And do not use the accelerator with brakes pressed, this is all plain good common sense, if would do all this to any other type of Automatic gearbox- Torque converter type or CVT even they will get damaged.

For waiting in traffic for long duration just shift to N or P, for short time period holding it in D with brakes pressed is absolutely OK. The owner's manual for these Euro cars have all the information you want(and some more). Just go through the owner's manual on day 1 and you will not get to post a query
here for simple stuff.
Thank you! I really appreciate it, I probably don't need to look elsewhere you covered it perfectly. I have am clear on their use.
Old 4th August 2013, 17:21   #897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! I really appreciate it, I probably don't need to look elsewhere you covered it perfectly. I have am clear on their use.
I would advise you to kindly also wait for the new Octavia launching next month. It has upgraded engines and a lot better car overall for less money.
Old 4th August 2013, 18:09   #898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I would advise you to kindly also wait for the new Octavia launching next month. It has upgraded engines and a lot better car overall for less money.
The new octavia is coming on 9th itself, this month, no?
Old 4th August 2013, 18:10   #899
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

here for simple stuff.
Nice post. Simple, to the point and super clear!
Old 4th August 2013, 18:18   #900
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
The new octavia is coming on 9th itself, this month, no?
This is just an 'unveiling'! Official Launch not before September/October!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed