Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2014, 11:19   #1201
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
my jetta is just 100 kms old so please advice what average/max speeds should i be driving and until when? After how many kms can you exceed the speed barrier(if there is any?). I plan to do a highway run this weekend so want to abide by the new engine rules
Add to what iliketurtles said. You also need to take the car to max rpm once a while. Only thing you need to avoid is contant RPM at above say 4K for a long run which is practially not possible in our highways.

Unless you are going to ride it in tracks pushing its rpm all 24/7 at red line, no matter how harsh you ride the car will set in fine for you will practically wont have a chance to ride it like in tracks. So enjoy the ride and let the DSG take over. Even if you floor it the DSG will keep shifting as and when an RPM reaches which makes sure you are not going to red line. Just drive safely as you have always done with your previous cars.

Quote:
i haven't yet tried the ground clearance on nasty speed breakers but need advice based on your experiences? Apologies to compare but with my vento GC was 168 mm but still on nasty humps e.g mysore to bandipur road i had to go zero speed or, take a cross approach bending the car in either direction. What are the best practices with jetta as its 160 mm if i am right?
More than the body the mud gaurds will definitely rub the road. If you are fully loaded, stick to air pressure recommendation. With rear at around 40 or 42 i think you hardly scrape anything. And its not a SUV so you know you are going to take it very slowly over SB. Even the scrap you are hearing is the protective shield. Just take it easy over big ones. The small ones, actually just drive it over. The suspension if i am right is set up slightly softer to the MKV which means you get good driving inside city as well.
Old 6th March 2014, 22:43   #1202
BHPian

Guys, my new black Jetta is doing good till now except that it is dirt magnet and I am delaying the first wash as long as possible.
Have a problem and need some help. When I start my car, a light braking produces a squealing sound from the rear left (guess the brake pads). This is only for very light half braking. The sound is shrill and is produced for first 10 mins of drive whenever I use brakes. After that it is fine. Do I need a visit to Service guys?
Old 7th March 2014, 12:24   #1203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjubose View Post
Guys, my new black Jetta is doing good till now except that it is dirt magnet and I am delaying the first wash as long as possible.

Have a problem and need some help. When I start my car, a light braking produces a squealing sound from the rear left (guess the brake pads). This is only for very light half braking. The sound is shrill and is produced for first 10 mins of drive whenever I use brakes. After that it is fine. Do I need a visit to Service guys?

I also experienced this shrilling vibration when putting reverse. But this was only for first 10 mins. Its just 125 kms old :-(
Old 7th March 2014, 12:29   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Clean it! Your German beauty deserves it.

Quote:
I think you should raise this issue with the service guys. It might become more pronounced in time (I hope not) and it would help if you flag this as a concern early on.
Old 7th March 2014, 14:33   #1205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I start my car, a light braking produces a squealing sound from the rear left (guess the brake pads). This is only for very light half braking. The sound is shrill and is produced for first 10 mins of drive whenever I use brakes. After that it is fine. Do I need a visit to Service guys?
The shrill sound if it sounds metallic i have this for last three years and probably at those speed if the car is standing in the same place for a day to two. The squeaking goes off post you ride it.

Appears to be normal because of probably rust in the disk.
Old 7th March 2014, 14:57   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The shrill sound if it sounds metallic i have this for last three years and probably at those speed if the car is standing in the same place for a day to two. The squeaking goes off post you ride it.

Appears to be normal because of probably rust in the disk.
Yes its metallic and more of a shrill whistle. Comes only from rear wheel and mostly the left one. Gives a feeling of the locomotive engines coming to a halt kinda. I am worried if it was some brake pad issue as it appears to be from one wheel only.
Old 10th March 2014, 15:24   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Add to what iliketurtles said. You also need to take the car to max rpm once a while. Only thing you need to avoid is contant RPM at above say 4K for a long run which is practially not possible in our highways.

Unless you are going to ride it in tracks pushing its rpm all 24/7 at red line, no matter how harsh you ride the car will set in fine for you will practically wont have a chance to ride it like in tracks. So enjoy the ride and let the DSG take over. Even if you floor it the DSG will keep shifting as and when an RPM reaches which makes sure you are not going to red line. Just drive safely as you have always done with your previous cars.

More than the body the mud gaurds will definitely rub the road. If you are fully loaded, stick to air pressure recommendation. With rear at around 40 or 42 i think you hardly scrape anything. And its not a SUV so you know you are going to take it very slowly over SB. Even the scrap you are hearing is the protective shield. Just take it easy over big ones. The small ones, actually just drive it over. The suspension if i am right is set up slightly softer to the MKV which means you get good driving inside city as well.

Did my first highway run this weekend 600 kms approximately on the same day. As per the recommendation, i had my speed limit set at 110 which ensured RPM was at 2k. I never went at S and most overtakes were manageable. Overall FE was 16. I am quickly getting adjusted to the DSG acceleration. Tested the auto wiper in yesterdays's rain in pune-ahmednagar section and its amazing. I had not even once to think of the appropriate wiper speed as the rain was varying with every 500 metres. Car got really dirty but was sparkling white again after morning cleaning! Though braking was nice, not sure if it will get better once i have clocked more miles(after 2k)? Also, there is a long wait to accelerate upto 80 from standstill if i am trying to remain under 2k. If i press paddle hard to get to next gear faster then rpm shoots to much above 2k. I may be thinking too much on the 2k factor but just going the way i have been suggested by all. Please correct if I am thinking incorrectly.
Old 10th March 2014, 18:55   #1208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesh View Post
Did my first highway run this weekend 600 kms approximately on the same day. As per the recommendation, i had my speed limit set at 110 which ensured RPM was at 2k. I never went at S and most overtakes were manageable. Overall FE was 16. I am quickly getting adjusted to the DSG acceleration. Tested the auto wiper in yesterdays's rain in pune-ahmednagar section and its amazing. I had not even once to think of the appropriate wiper speed as the rain was varying with every 500 metres. Car got really dirty but was sparkling white again after morning cleaning! Though braking was nice, not sure if it will get better once i have clocked more miles(after 2k)? Also, there is a long wait to accelerate upto 80 from standstill if i am trying to remain under 2k. If i press paddle hard to get to next gear faster then rpm shoots to much above 2k. I may be thinking too much on the 2k factor but just going the way i have been suggested by all. Please correct if I am thinking incorrectly.
I don't know where you got the 2k figure from. Its absolutely wrong, and will not help in any way. For the first 1000kms keep the rpm under 3.5k rpm for most of the time. Sometimes you can even cross that if overtaking someone, its not an issue. 2k rpm is ridiculously low, even by diesel standards. So go ahead and enjoy your car.
Old 10th March 2014, 22:51   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesh View Post
  • Maintain RPM less than 75% of the red-line, during first 1000 Kms. Do not lug the engine / slip clutch. Do not use cruise control.
  • After 1000 Kms, slowly increase RPM and even touch red-line a few times before getting to 2000 Kms. Do not use cruise control yet.
  • After 2000 Kms, drive the car as you would intend to drive normally. Avoid excessive use of cruise control.
  • Once you cross 5000 Kms - You are the boss!!

Running-in is not just for the engine. It is crucial for most parts like Tyre, Brake pads, suspensions, gear box / clutch, Turbo and all other electro-mechanical parts. First 1000 Kms is important for all these parts to "bed" properly. Most parts will settle after that and perform better, including brakes.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 23:10   #1210
Senior - BHPian

Seeing how VW now seems to be offering an extended warranty on the Vento TSI, I randomly whatsapped (is that a word?) my sales guy from VW and asked if there's any news for the Jetta. Imagine my surprise when he said it was out, and it was available at the workshop!

I'm not quite sure if he's right, surely VW would announce such a thing formally? In any case, I will make that call and find out what the deal is. Will get back on here with details.
Old 12th March 2014, 10:22   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
...I will make that call and find out what the deal is. Will get back on here with details.
Those sneaky so-and-so's! They've gone and launched the Extended Warranty with zero fanfare. It is available alright, I called Tornado Motors' workshop just now and confirmed as much.

I was quoted Rs. 21-22000 for a 1 year extension and 41000 for a 2 year extension on the standard warranty. In my eagerness to get back on here and thinking of when I'd go in and buy it, I didn't make mental notes of the exact amount it's priced at, but those are very close approximations. They are not inclusive of the service tax figure (10-12%, whatever it is).

It is exorbitantly priced, but I think it is a must buy for the peace of mind it can afford. Jetta owners can buy it anytime uptil the 2 year warranty is valid, but the price goes up after the 1st year of the warranty is completed. My advice: take it while you still can. Who knows when it's gone!
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 20:06   #1212
BHPian

Are you sure that this is VW warranty and not dealer warranty? I'm talking to folks here on the Jetta and was told there is no extended warranty available on the Jetta just 2/3 days back. If this is true - sure, its pricey - but I would think its a must-have.
Old 12th March 2014, 20:16   #1213
Senior - BHPian

I'll double check it, but no mention was made of it being a dealer warranty. They had offered me a dealer specific AMC before delivery, no such dealer specific mention was made in this case so I reckon it isn't so.

Will call them and report back.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 20:34   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddis_dude View Post
Are you sure that this is VW warranty and not dealer warranty? I'm talking to folks here on the Jetta and was told there is no extended warranty available on the Jetta just 2/3 days back. If this is true - sure, its pricey - but I would think its a must-have.
I can assure you that its from the company for all products that didn't have extended warranty I.E. Jetta, Vento TSI and Polo GT TSI.
Old 12th March 2014, 20:57   #1215
BHPian

Hmm - that sounds interesting. Will double check with 2 dealers in Bangalore over the weekend that I'm meeting to get quotes from anyway. Thanks.

From: http://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/value..._warranty.html

>>> *Conditions apply. Currently available on Polo & Vento only.

Last edited by ddis_dude : 12th March 2014 at 21:04. Reason: Adding link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks