Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2014, 10:04   #1546
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Have the first scare of owning the Jetta. The fuel consumption meter on MFD is behaving erratic suddenly since past few days. It keeps flickering between 3 to 85 km/l giving heart attack and ecstasy in moments. The 6 months free checkup is due next month. Shall I wait or could it be some impending battery or any other issue?
Old 29th July 2014, 10:13   #1547
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjubose View Post
Have the first scare of owning the Jetta. The fuel consumption meter on MFD is behaving erratic suddenly since past few days. It keeps flickering between 3 to 85 km/l giving heart attack and ecstasy in moments. The 6 months free checkup is due next month. Shall I wait or could it be some impending battery or any other issue?
Are you referring to the fuel consumption or average fuel consumption? If it is the former, it keeps varying from second to second depending on your driving style and other factors. The average fuel consumption should be hovering around the 14-20 kmpl figure and this value varies very gradually.

Use the steering controls on the right side to cycle between the MFD functions.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 10:18   #1548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Are you referring to the fuel consumption or average fuel consumption? If it is the former, it keeps varying from second to second depending on your driving style and other factors. The average fuel consumption should be hovering around the 14-20 kmpl figure and this value varies very gradually.

Use the steering controls on the right side to cycle between the MFD functions.
Its the fuel consumption as well as the average. Though it used to vary but never such extremes and almost 3-4 times in a second. It started happening in past 2-3 days. It is showing random values continuosly.
Old 29th July 2014, 10:43   #1549
BHPian

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjubose View Post
Its the fuel consumption as well as the average. Though it used to vary but never such extremes and almost 3-4 times in a second. It started happening in past 2-3 days. It is showing random values continuosly.

That is the behavior of the instantaneous fuel consumption. Average calculates from the distance of the trip and the fuel consumed. In the settings you can turn on or off what info needs to be displayed (Not sure if all models have this feature to turn it on/off though). Has the average consumption being turned off by any chance and only instantaneous left on? In that case you can toggle through only the erratic fuel consumption, which is showing correct only. You can further check if this is behaving normal, by observing if your mileage goes down while accelerating and if it shoots up when you leave the accelerator when you are moving.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 29th July 2014 at 10:49.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 21:48   #1550
BHPian

Got a quote for 2 year EW from the service chaps at BUB, Wakad - it's 46077, Sanjay was pulling a fast one.
Old 31st July 2014, 12:40   #1551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Check with Mysore dealer. You might be in for a pleasant surprise..

My purchase experience was very good..
@Chethan - Couldn't send you a PM... I've referred your name and connected to Om of KPR Cars, Mysore!
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 21:10   #1552
BHPian

Updated the firmware on the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 HU in my Jetta today.

This was the second firmware update performed on my HU. The previous one was in April of this year, and it was done by the local Blaupunkt dealer. Today's update, however, I decided to do by myself. It went pretty well, so I decided to create this small write up to encourage fellow DIY enthusiasts on this forum. I almost have an OCD when it comes to firmware updates, I can’t tolerate the thought of not having the latest software/firmware updates installed on any of the devices that I own whether it’s laptop, iPad, phone or even my TV . So if you are like me, please read on.

So far I have had mixed feelings regarding the HU. I was quite happy in the beginning because of the audio, Bluetooth call quality etc. However as time passed I started coming across several stability and usability issues. Some issues, particularly regarding the very slow, inconsistent and mostly unusable MapMyIndia navigation unfortunately still remain.

Anyway, in April I decided to take a look at the Blaupunkt site if there were any firmware updates, and to my surprise there were several updates over last year or so. I went through the installation instructions available for the 835 EU unit, and the instructions said the same firmware should also work with the “835 World” unit that I had. I wrote to the Blaupunkt support in Germany to confirm the same and they redirected me to their regional dealer in Mumbai. He strongly advised me to not do the update myself as that could brick the unit, so I took it to the Pune dealer, who promptly updated the firmware to the November 2013 release. At that time the latest release on their website was from March 2014, so when I asked “Why not the latest release?” I was told that it wouldn’t work for the India version (which I now realized was not right). The firmware did fix some of the issues - most notably the unit did not restart anymore when starting the engine - but it kept bothering me that I didn’t have the latest version

Today I happened to check the website again and found a June 2014 release. This time I decided to take the risk and perform the upgrade myself. I followed the simple instructions and was able to perform the update without any issues.

The firmware can be downloaded from here - http://www.blaupunkt.com/en/nc/servi...ervicedoku_pi1[view]=single

The release notes available with the software should give you a good idea about the issues fixed. You will also wonder why did they decide to sell the HU with so many obvious issues ;-)

Last edited by MandarMax : 12th August 2014 at 21:17.
MandarMax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 22:20   #1553
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the link. These firmware updates are quite helpful. I had got the pre March 2014 update on my previous 835 HU from the local Blaupunkt dealer. I don't have the HU with me anymore. Swapped it for another one.

Even this one has Win CE OS and gets firmware updates which does solve many issues over a period of time. Done the firmware update myself a couple of times on the audiosources unit. It's pretty straight forward.
Old 13th August 2014, 13:31   #1554
BHPian

Took a test drive of Jetta. Me and wifey loved the car. But the lack of space for the 5th person with the tall hump and the rear aircon was a deal breaker for wifey
Old 13th August 2014, 14:09   #1555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Took a test drive of Jetta. Me and wifey loved the car. But the lack of space for the 5th person with the tall hump and the rear aircon was a deal breaker for wifey
Will it be used as a 5 seater always? If not floor hump need not be considered as a deal breaker. Check Octavia also , it has rear AC vents but floor hump remains the same.
Old 21st August 2014, 08:43   #1556
BHPian

So took the plunge and booked the jetta HL AT yesterday. Delivery expected in 2 weeks.
Need some advice on whether I should keep the OEM tyres (I think they are Goodyear NCT5s). Some forum members (like graaja) have changed the OEM tyres.
What are minus points with the goodyears? I have heard that the only downside is the higher road noise. Any other minuses?
I am very sedate driver and usually do not push the car beyond 120 km/h on highways. I occasionally have to drive through dirt tracks (mostly fields).

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
-JB-
Old 21st August 2014, 09:09   #1557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Need some advice on whether I should keep the Goodyear NCT5s). Some forum members have changed the OEM tyres.

What are minus points with the goodyears? I have heard that the only downside is the higher road noise. Any other minuses?

I am very sedate driver and usually do not push -

Had the NCT 5s on my Superb for 4+ years and 37000 kms. Replaced them with Michelin P3 STs recently and have done about 1000 km on them. Frankly, I don't see a dramatic difference (May be I am not fussy about noise). Had several punctures on the NCT5s early on but realised that was because I was under inflating the tyres - used to maintain 30 psi all around. The problem disappeared once I shifted to maintaining 33 psi. Don't think the difference is worth the trouble of changing up front.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 09:13   #1558
BHPian

Quote:

Need some advice on whether I should keep the OEM tyres (I think they are Goodyear NCT5s). Some forum members (like graaja) have changed the OEM tyres.

What are minus points with the goodyears? I have heard that the only downside is the higher road noise
Welcome to the Jetta club! You are right apart from road noise there are no other issues with those tires. I too was reluctant to change the tires which I repent now. While cruising on highways the tires manage to completely ruin the silence of the cabin. Out of experience, I suggest you to please change the stocks to Michelin Primacy 3ST.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 09:14   #1559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Need some advice on whether I should keep the OEM tyres (I think they are Goodyear NCT5s). Some forum members (like graaja) have changed the OEM tyres.....
Honestly if you are driving sedately don't bother to change. It will save you a lot of money which can be spent elsewhere. Tyre noise will not be of noticeable difference,especially in a high quality cabin like that of the Jetta.
Go in for a paint sealant treatment on the money saved.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th February 2019 at 14:51. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 09:48   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Welcome to the Jetta club! You are right apart from road noise there are no other issues with those tires. I too was reluctant to change the tires which I repent now. While cruising on highways the tires manage to completely ruin the silence of the cabin. Out of experience, I suggest you to please change the stocks to Michelin Primacy 3ST.
Thanks!! Mine might be the second tempest blue of the forum. A quick question, if I may
To what extent does the noise filter through if I were driving at , say 100 km/h, on well paved highways with the stereo set at moderate volume.
On a scale, say 1 being whisper quiet and 10 being the sound of old ambassador diesels, will be helpful.

Thanks,
-JB-

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks