Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 12:14   #1606
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

It looks like VW has been making some changes to standard features in various trims mostly in the CL. I have a jetta brochure that is about 2 weeks old (nov 2013 version) and it mentions RCD 300 Plus with CD player, Aux -in and 8 speakers in the CL trim.
The web site now mentions RCD 320 music system with CD player, 4 speakers, SD card slot, USB input, Rear window antenna, Bluetooth connectivity. So it looks like we lose 4 speakers and get USB and bluebooth connectivity in the CL trim.

Also according to my brochure, "shark fin diversity antenna" is available only in HL trim
Old 28th August 2014, 16:46   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Just had a look at VW Jetta e-Brochure. It mentions 4 speakers front. I guess they are component speaker systems (also called "separates") feature separate woofers, tweeters, and crossovers.

So technically there are no speakers at rear in Trendline & Comfortline.

VW Jetta e-Brochure
Old 28th August 2014, 21:25   #1608
Senior - BHPian

4 speakers in front looks like a bummer. Why would they do that and cut 2 speakers. Is that for saving cost?

Cannot believe the germans are going the korean way and the koreans are going the german way of adding features.

I thought the basic version came with 6 speakers standard.
Old 29th August 2014, 18:14   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Nice! A very good choice man. You I'll be amazed by the number of on lookers for the color. Everyone around would confuse you into asking if you had bought an Audi or BMW. For the road noise at 100 and moderate stereo I would rate a 6. And when you drive without stereo I would rate 9. The only issue with the tires is road noise. Believe it's not good. I myself didn't listen to the suggestions of other beloved Jetta owners. I'm only guy driving on stocks from the lot of recent guys who bought the Jetta.
I am on the NCTs, MT CL got delivery in June end. I have done close to 4K. I am not too much bothered by the noise. I only play Enya and run the AC fan very low.
Old 30th August 2014, 19:44   #1610
BHPian

Hey guys, I am tired of not having BT on my car and I need a cheap solution. I did get a free external handsfree thingy from the dealer, but it is a pain in the neck to use it and it is now doing duty in the Innova. So replacing the HU is probably my only solution. I went on vagtune and found a fitting HU, the RCN 210. It looks exactly like the one in my Vento and is probably the same thing. It costs Rs.3098, which IMHO is really cheap. I have got a few Q's though.
1) Is it compatible with my current RCD300+'s stock lines?
2) Will the 2nd auxiliary port interfere with the stock one near the 12V port?
3) How much will it cost to get it installed?
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-screen-shot-20140830-7.29.21-pm.png
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-screen-shot-20140830-7.29.18-pm.png
Much thanks!
Regards,
Old 6th September 2014, 19:44   #1611
BHPian

Took delivery of Tempest blue HL DSG today.. Photos and initial ownership report to follow.

Thanks to all bhp-ians who helped me make this decision with their reviews and inputs (directly and indirectly) over time.

Couple of points
- Tha car came with black floor mats (some 4d stuff that looks pretty decent). I had bought star mats assuming that the car will not have any mats. :-(

- I had paid for the extended warranty. The dealer says that it will take them 30-45 days to get the extended warranty certificate. Is this normal?
Old 7th September 2014, 10:14   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Took delivery of Tempest blue HL DSG today.. Photos and initial ownership report to follow.
=======
- I had paid for the extended warranty. The dealer says that it will take them 30-45 days to get the extended warranty certificate. Is this normal?
Congrats!!! Where did you buy it from? Got a good deal?
Old 10th September 2014, 10:33   #1613
BHPian

So it has been 5 days since I took delivery of the car. Only city runs so far. Have a few long distance planned in the near future. Initial observations
  • I now realize how much I missed the convenience of automatic transmission. I am less stressed when driving and actually am enjoying the drive much more. The super smooth jerk free shifts of the DSG makes it even better
  • The cabin is super silent and I have been able to find a very good driving position.
  • There is definitely a lag when starting from standstill but one gets used to it. The throttle response of manual or Slushbox AT is not there
  • I am getting close to 15 kmpl in city so far. Very light foot and not much traffic. Better than my old verna I must say

A couple of questions for HL owners

- Does the car have voice recognition for bluetooth built in? I see the button for it in the left hand side of the steering wheel but pressing it just mutes the audio.
- Is it possible to do random/mix of songs across multiple folders in a SD card? Right now it does a mix only across one folder.
Old 10th September 2014, 10:35   #1614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[*]There is definitely a lag when starting from standstill but one gets used to it. The throttle response of manual or Slushbox AT is not there
Very strange. DSG gearbox should have less lag than a conventional AT box. You may want to get this checked.
Old 10th September 2014, 10:51   #1615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am getting close to 15 kmpl in city so far. Very light foot and not much traffic. Better than my old verna I must say
That's very good, I find myself getting anywhere between 10-11 KMPL in the city, which is very decent considering I drive in the serpentine queue of cars we call traffic in Mumbai. You'll find the Jetta is very fuel-efficient if you're inclined to drive it so.

Quote:
Does the car have voice recognition for bluetooth built in? I see the button for it in the left hand side of the steering wheel but pressing it just mutes the audio.
Nope, no voice recognition as far as I know of. That button does exactly what it says; it mutes the audio and also pauses audio playback if you're playing music from an SD card or Bluetooth.

Quote:
Is it possible to do random/mix of songs across multiple folders in a SD card? Right now it does a mix only across one folder.
Sadly, no. Each folder is like a little universe in itself. Changing songs across folders requires manual intervention, unless you put all the songs in the root directory to mix/shuffle across songs.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 10:56   #1616
BHPian

Having driven the dsg's of the passat,laura and superb extensively as well as my corolla gen 1 automatic, I would say people moving from a slush box to dsg would experience the initial lag. My guess is this is due to the fact that the engine produces very little torque at extremely low revs, whereas the torque converter in the slushboxes provides a higher minimum torque to start with. The response once you hit even 1000rpm is quite different though and more than makes up for the initial lag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Very strange. DSG gearbox should have less lag than a conventional AT box. You may want to get this checked.
apurva512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 10:59   #1617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
Having driven the dsg's of the passat,laura and superb extensively as well as my corolla gen 1 automatic, I would say people moving from a slush box to dsg would experience the initial lag. My guess is this is due to the fact that the engine produces very little torque at extremely low revs, whereas the torque converter in the slushboxes provides a higher minimum torque to start with. The response once you hit even 1000rpm is quite different though and more than makes up for the initial lag.
Trying to understand this- isn't this the turbo lag rather than gearbox lag?

Meaning- if I were to move from a Corolla or Vento petrol AT (NA engine, conventional slushbox) to a Jetta DSG, I would feel the lag for sure. But if I were moving from say a Laura manual (turbo MT) to a Jetta DSG would I still feel it?
Old 10th September 2014, 11:30   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So it has been 5 days since I took delivery of the car. Only city runs so far. Have a few long distance planned in the near future. Initial observations
  • I now realize how much I missed the convenience of automatic transmission. I am less stressed when driving and actually am enjoying the drive much more. The super smooth jerk free shifts of the DSG makes it even better
  • The cabin is super silent and I have been able to find a very good driving position.
  • There is definitely a lag when starting from standstill but one gets used to it. The throttle response of manual or Slushbox AT is not there
  • I am getting close to 15 kmpl in city so far. Very light foot and not much traffic. Better than my old verna I must say

A couple of questions for HL owners

- Does the car have voice recognition for bluetooth built in? I see the button for it in the left hand side of the steering wheel but pressing it just mutes the audio.
- Is it possible to do random/mix of songs across multiple folders in a SD card? Right now it does a mix only across one folder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
The lag is because the clutch in a DSG disengages at a complete stop and takes a few seconds to re-engage when starting off again. We just had this discussion on the Polo GT TSI thread. A torque converter AT is more instantaneous.

The voice recognition button can be activated using VCDS. I did it in my Vento TSI with the stock RCD320 music system. I went back to muting because it didn't work very well. The Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 HU can't do it at all.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 10:16   #1619
BHPian

This is what I managed in my 5 km run to office today morning in ORR. Very impressed I must say for a city run. Ignore the time.. I need to set it to the right time.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20140911_085256.jpg

Last edited by etrast75 : 11th September 2014 at 10:30.
etrast75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 13:37   #1620
BHPian

I am looking at the Jetta Comfortline diesel right now, and there is a bit of a confusion regarding the ICE in it.

1. A physical brochure given by the showroom says it has a 'RCD300 Plus' music system with CD Player, Aux and 8 Speakers.

2. The e-brochure on VW India says it has 'RCD320' with CD Player, SD Card Slot, USB Input, Bluetooth Connectivity and 4 Speakers(Front).

A couple of previous buyers on this thread have mentioned the RCD320, but what I'd like to know is if it actually comes with just 4 speakers in the front and no speakers in the back. This would be super weird, especially for a 15+ Lakhs car.
Or have they misprinted the actual number of *speakers+tweeters*?

Thanks in advance!

Most Viewed