Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2014, 20:22   #1711
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvb View Post
Hello Guys, have almost finalised a comfortline jetta. Good discounts going on now as mentioned in the thread. Test drove the demo car and had 2 issues with the car.

One is, the engine noise is very audible inside the cabin. This was at around a relatively lower rpm of 3000rpm. Is this the case with all the jettas or specific to the demo car I drove? How is the NVH in general?

Two, the stock music system I think is a RCD 310 (the brochure says it comes with rcd 320 with usb), without even a USB capability. I asked the salesman if it could be changed but he said it cant be as of now. Can the existing comfortline owners confirm?

Thanks in advance.
On the noise front, the engine is audible but not an irritant. NVH could be better but its not bad. My 2012 CL has a SD card input instead of an USB. The only thing I miss is bluetooth.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 09:28   #1712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One is, the engine noise is very audible inside the cabin.
Not sure about the MKIV, my MKV feels far more silent than the Accord petrol i am driving now. Miss the MKV even now.

The noise levels are pretty decent in that Diesel. You should try a petrol jetta. Thats a completely different story.

On Highways the noise level is dependent on even the tyres. The stock tyres are definitely noisy but changing them improves quite a lot.

For the music, just try upgrading to a third party system and install it at the dealer. The RCD510 and the 8 speakers i guess in the old comfortline is more than sufficient whereas i just added a BT module for around 15K. The Aux works and USB was and is never my choice of music. Its usually my phone playing the songs.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 11:55   #1713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
On the noise front, the engine is audible but not an irritant. NVH could be better but its not bad. My 2012 CL has a SD card input instead of an USB. The only thing I miss is bluetooth.
Noise levels are certainly more if you are moving from a petrol drive to Jetta diesel. But I have got used to it. Music certainly helps in keeping it quieter
So, I graduated to a BP Philadelphia for my Jetta CL. Must admit that its way better than stock ones besides the navigation option bonus.
Sanjubose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 16:29   #1714
BHPian

Face-lifted Jetta spotted testing in India

http://www.motorbeam.com/2014/12/car...india-testing/
Old 22nd December 2014, 19:15   #1715
BHPian

Thanks guys for the inputs. I drive a polo 1.6 currently. I test drove the elantra, corolla and jetta (all diesel) back to back. The Jetta was quite noisy compared to others. The power was exceptional though.
Old 23rd December 2014, 12:59   #1716
BHPian

Folks,

I think the wheel alignment and/or balancing on my Jetta needs to be checked - there is a slight vibration of the car at speed upwards of 140/150 - something that never used to happen before.

How much running is advised for the car in this condition - how bad is the damage? Essentially, I am planning on a 600+km trip (two-way) tomorrow morning and am wondering if I should get the balancing/alignment done now at some local tyre-shop or wait until I get back and get it checked at VW itself.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 25th December 2014, 13:25   #1717
BHPian

Guys, need some inputs here. I have finally decided to go for the RCD 510 for the upgrade and would just like to hear the inputs on the warranty. As the dealer will not fit anything bought from outside, I will have to get it done from an outside installer. If no wire is cut or spliced, what would be the warranty situation? Also can I add a couple of speakers? There are only 2+2 speakers in front.

Also hopefully this upgrade will help me get the OPS, I guess.
Old 25th December 2014, 21:22   #1718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much running is advised for the car in this condition - how bad is the damage?
Check if its because of loose parts. The air filter housing sometimes can be outside its socket or the air intake housing just close to the frond hood. The plastic vibrates at high speed.

And keep the air pressure slightly higher than your regular city runs. Upper side of 36 is usually my preference.

You can take it to VW service or any local wheel alignment shop if u want to get it checked.

Local shops i say because its cheaper.

Quote:
I have finally decided to go for the RCD 510 for the upgrade and would just like to hear the inputs on the warranty. As the dealer will not fit anything bought from outside,
RCD510 is plug and play. But why spend so much on a RCD510 whereas there are units that are far more advance and better for the same price point with available sockets.

If you are sure its going to be RCD510, you can even DIY and not worried about it.
Old 25th December 2014, 21:44   #1719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Also hopefully this upgrade will help me get the OPS, I guess.
Old 25th December 2014, 22:26   #1720
BHPian

Well, then that puts my plans on hold. Thanks for letting me know. One of the man reasons for getting the RCD 510 was the ops. If ops does not work it probably won't be worth the upgrade. I hope you are talking ng about the jetta. And is there anyway to check which version of sensors are there.
Old 26th December 2014, 09:18   #1721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddis_dude View Post
Folks,

I think the wheel alignment and/or balancing on my Jetta needs to be checked - there is a slight vibration of the car at speed upwards of 140/150 - something that never used to happen before.

How much running is advised for the car in this condition - how bad is the damage? Essentially, I am planning on a 600+km trip (two-way) tomorrow morning and am wondering if I should get the balancing/alignment done now at some local tyre-shop or wait until I get back and get it checked at VW itself.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Get the balancing / rotation / alignment done at a good Tyre shop. This should solve the problem.

How much has the car run? This is one problem with NCT5's, which has done more than 25K kms... They require more frequent balancing / alignment...
Old 26th December 2014, 10:09   #1722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
And is there anyway to check which version of sensors are there.
In my case I came to know after swapping the HU, when I saw that the Ops did not work so I removed it and 're installed the 320.
Old 26th December 2014, 12:25   #1723
BHPian

Will that certainly puts a dampener on the plan as a whole. Is yours a 2014 Jetta as well. The newer one with the RCD 320?
Old 29th December 2014, 08:59   #1724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Get the balancing / rotation / alignment done at a good Tyre shop. This should solve the problem.

How much has the car run? This is one problem with NCT5's, which has done more than 25K kms... They require more frequent balancing / alignment...
Thanks for your response Chetan. I went ahead without getting the checkup done and alls well that ends well - there were no issues on the trip even with some off-roading involved at Shettyhalli church near Hassan - she handled herself like a champ and never complained. First order of business now is to get the checkup done.

She has done only 7k - but I kinda ripped her a bit on the road from Chitradurga to Hampi sometime back and that road was riddled with potholes - lesson learned! She has been vibrating a bit at very high speeds post that trip - 140kmph still seems fine. I actually find the difference post 150-160.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Check if its because of loose parts. The air filter housing sometimes can be outside its socket or the air intake housing just close to the frond hood. The plastic vibrates at high speed.

And keep the air pressure slightly higher than your regular city runs. Upper side of 36 is usually my preference.

You can take it to VW service or any local wheel alignment shop if u want to get it checked.

Local shops i say because its cheaper.
Thanks for your suggestion VW2010 - this is what I eventually did - my pressure was around 32 all-round and things felt OK. Thing is the Linea TJET comes with the same tyres and their manufacturer recommended tyre-pressure is 36 whereas ours is 30 - I am a bit confused about that. Even with 32 - I could feel the ride getting a bit harsh - I just love the plush ride we get at 30. Need some more experimenting here I guess - btw, I dont use Nitrogen, just regular air from a regular Shell pump.
Old 29th December 2014, 11:16   #1725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just love the plush ride we get at 30.
30 is too low for me. If the car is loaded i usually drive at 38-40. The ride is harsh if the roads are bad and even there the suspension takes in most of the harshness.

At the right speed, bad roads usually melt under the car and i hardly break for small crackers instead use the suspension and ride it over.

My Normal driving pressure is 35 and it was optimal for my usage.

Few things to consider is to change your tyres, tyre profile(go slightly wider but maintain the overall dimension to avoid any other changes), like the ones in Passat i guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks