Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2014, 12:05   #1726
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
30 is too low for me. If the car is loaded i usually drive at 38-40. The ride is harsh if the roads are bad and even there the suspension takes in most of the harshness.
Done - I am going to try this and will update in the next few days - thanks for the suggestion VW2010.

One thing is that my car is usually not loaded - just the 2+1 kid.

Moving on - I have one minor niggle actually:

I find that at most places - either the guy cleaning the car at home or people trying to squeeze in between cars at malls etc: my rear-view mirrors are forcibly folded!

Now when this happens and I start the car and turn the knob to fold the mirrors back out - there is a small thud noise that comes along. Is this bad?

How do you folks handle this - fold mirrors everytime you stop? Somehow I find that too painful.
Old 31st December 2014, 13:12   #1727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddis_dude View Post

Moving on - I have one minor niggle actually:

I find that at most places - either the guy cleaning the car at home or people trying to squeeze in between cars at malls etc: my rear-view mirrors are forcibly folded!

Now when this happens and I start the car and turn the knob to fold the mirrors back out - there is a small thud noise that comes along. Is this bad?

How do you folks handle this - fold mirrors everytime you stop? Somehow I find that too painful.
Yes this happens since the gear mechanism would be out of sync.

I do not allow others to man-handle rear-view mirrors. Therefore, I fold them every time I stop.

Wish this could be made automatic, to be in sync with the car-lock.

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid typing...like...this... Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st December 2014 at 14:55.
Old 31st December 2014, 14:52   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Wish this could be made automatic, to be in sync with the car-lock..
In Octavia this is automatically done and also this can be customised from the touch screen interface. Automatic closing of mirrors could be possible in Jetta too via some VCDS coding.
Old 31st December 2014, 19:19   #1729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post

In Octavia this is automatically done and also this can be customised from the touch screen interface. Automatic closing of mirrors could be possible in Jetta too via some VCDS coding.
From the many forum threads I had read, My understanding is that the Jetta does not have the necessary hardware to enable auto folding of the mirrors. A relay is required to implement this function. I had read some user in an European forum had done this using a relay from Audi. Still looking for a solution. Till then, I fold the mirrors every time I stop the car.
Old 31st December 2014, 22:02   #1730
Senior - BHPian

Automatic folding is not possible with the Jetta. It does not have the hardware. But there is a lot of site information on DIY

The following were some research i did sometime back in 2013 to try installing in my MKV but decided the cost and effort were not worth the actual usage.

I rather set up a 360 deg camera to simply monitor my movements

http://forums.thecarlounge.com/showt...ip-for-reverse

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...olding-Mirrors

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=61943
Old 31st December 2014, 22:08   #1731
BHPian

Normally I try to park in an open area even if it is a little walking to my destination, have heard that agonising thuk sound when the gears try to remesh if they get forcibly closed happened once, also would recommend fixing those transparent strips to protect the outer edges as mentioned to chetan once

Last edited by hubolt : 31st December 2014 at 22:32.
Old 2nd January 2015, 17:36   #1732
BHPian

Hey guys, will the below LED's also work for DRL's:

http://www.dx.com/p/hj-hj-1156-8w232...279652#reviews

I got one set which are 3.5W and are not quite as showy. Was wondering if the 8 Watt version would be better.

Edit:

This is what I am using right now:

http://www.dx.com/p/1156-3-5w-68-smd...9#.VKaJV9KUcTs
Old 3rd January 2015, 11:27   #1733
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just an FYI update for now till I don't find time to create a dedicated thread - I just purchased a Jetta CL TDI in blue color. I got a discount of approx 1.5 lakhs on the outgoing 2014 model and didn't see value in waiting for the updated 2015 model which will have potentially cost me 2-2.5 lakhs more, model for model. My current purchase cost me 17 lacs approx, all inclusive.

Also, I just completed a 1000+km trip from Delhi-Punjab-McLeodGanj (Himachal Pradesh)-Delhi trip and I have to say that the car drove like a charm.

I'll be back with more info..

Regards,
Abhi

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 3rd January 2015 at 11:33.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 12:16   #1734
BHPian

Congrats ABhi and I think what you have done is the sane thing to do. The new version will be atleast 50k-1 lac more expensive and there will be negligible discounts. For 17 lacs all inclusive its a great buy. Sadly here in Bangalore, with road tax and other taxes being so high at 17L, we cant even get the petrol comfortline.

Its been about 4 months since I bought my car and I have now got the ICE upgrade itch. While the basic ice is not bad for a non audiophile like me, I was thinking on these lines:

1. Get the RCD 510 with the bluetooth kit for around 18-20k
2. Get the Blau 835 for around 45k

The second option gives me GPS, but with Google maps, I dont think I will be suing it too much. Also I seem to have read a lot about the slow interface. Do you guys think the RCD 510 would be a better option?

On another note, I called VW to ask them about their warranty terms in case I changed the stereo. And boy, are they confused. They finally connected me back to the dealer. Now, being the manufacturer, doesnt VW need to have their warranty terms in place. How can a dealer decide which way the warranty swings?

This is quite sad for a global behemoth like the VW group.
Old 5th January 2015, 22:14   #1735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, being the manufacturer, doesnt VW need to have their warranty terms in place. How can a dealer decide which way the warranty swings?

This is quite sad for a global behemoth like the VW group.
A little detail analysis made me realize the dealers are also not the decision makers as well. For every warranty request the parent company is putting a lot of constraints and it appears pushing the dealers to make maximum money out of service, parts and replacements.

They need to provide enough proof that its a factory issue and not due to any replacement parts etc that was done outside.

The reason why they are hesitant to make these swaps are also the same. They will do it as long as you buy the parts from them. And there is the catch. there is a huge mark up for the parts they sell which you can get it for far cheaper.

RCD 510 is good. More than the system check if you need to upgrade the speakers.

MK V comes with standard RCD510 and i guess 8 speakers which is more than adequate for our needs. In fact the system is actually good unless you are an audiophile on move and need perfection inside the car.

RCD510 comes in different version and one of them support BT with abiility to adjust songs via your screen. My BT version is the newest but the RCD does not support moving songs via screen. So just look out for that right version of RCD510.
Old 7th January 2015, 11:08   #1736
BHPian

Can someone enlighten me on what is daytime headlights (not DRL)and its purpose. At many times during driving passerby or other drivers signals me that my headlight is ON. There could be a chance that headlight can be automatically switched on when switch position is "AUTO" I double checked that my switch position is "0".

Owner's manual also not clearly explaining about the purpose of daytime headlight and event that trigger it is getting switched on in daylight

Not to confuse with DRL, as I own a comfort line Jetta I don't have a DRL. May be comforline owner could chip-in and hep here..
Old 7th January 2015, 12:49   #1737
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
Can someone enlighten me on what is daytime headlights (not DRL)and its purpose. At many times during driving passerby or other drivers signals me that my headlight is ON. There could be a chance that headlight can be automatically switched on when switch position is "AUTO" I double checked that my switch position is "0".

Owner's manual also not clearly explaining about the purpose of daytime headlight and event that trigger it is getting switched on in daylight

Not to confuse with DRL, as I own a comfort line Jetta I don't have a DRL. May be comforline owner could chip-in and hep here..
If put the head light switch in the "Auto" position, the headlights are automatically turned on when the ambient light is low. This is to automatically turn on the lights during dawn and dusk. But if your switch position is in "0", the lights should not come on. The switch also has a pull out function that can turn on the fog lights. Is the switch pulled out?
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 13:46   #1738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
If put the head light switch in the "Auto" position, the headlights are automatically turned on when the ambient light is low. This is to automatically turn on the lights during dawn and dusk. But if your switch position is in "0", the lights should not come on. The switch also has a pull out function that can turn on the fog lights. Is the switch pulled out?
No, Switch is in "0" position and is not in pulled out state.

Owner's manual page 108 says "The daytime headlights are switched on if the light switch is in position 0 or AUTO. In some model versions, the >< indicator lamp in the light switch indicates that the daytime headlights are switched on"

Above statement itself is confusing, if it automatically turn on then why position 0 is provided in addition to AUTO
Old 7th January 2015, 14:36   #1739
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Owner's manual page 108 says "The daytime headlights are switched on if the light switch is in position 0 or AUTO. In some model versions, the >< indicator lamp in the light switch indicates that the daytime headlights are switched on"

Above statement itself is confusing, if it automatically turn on then why position 0 is provided in addition to AUTO
This feature looks similar to the Daytime Running Lights (DRL). Even in the Highline, when the headlight switch is in "0" position, the DRLs are always turned on.

Maybe in Comfortline, the DRL function is implemented using some other light in the headlight assembly, maybe the cornering lights or fog lights are being used. Have you checked which light in the headlight assembly is getting on in the day time?
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 14:45   #1740
BHPian

Quote:

Its DRL only. In CL its halogen, in HL it is LED. Only way to shut it down is through VCDS mod I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks