Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2015, 09:14   #1816
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Basically they are giving the car a nose job and selling it. This is just the way VW has been evolving for the last 4 years. I am not saying they should not change the classic design but the world is moving way faster.

A standard civic or accord comes with better features than most of the cars and some of them are standard package.

What this car needs is either make it affordable and price it around Civic range and not around accord range or add 5 years warranty coverage.

I do not see this version of Jetta being a hot seller if they dont reduce price.

Jetta should take a look at the new accord. They have reinforced not just the body but the interiors as well with whole host of options.
Old 3rd February 2015, 09:29   #1817
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
What this car needs is either make it affordable and price it around Civic range and not around accord range or add 5 years warranty coverage.
The Civic is no longer in production so let's look at the closest thing to the Civic, the Altis. The Altis is 22L on road bangalore for the top spec 7 speed CVT variant.

In comparison the Jetta is 23.9L but is running good discounts varying from 40-70K. Mind you I am comparing the Altis petrol with the Jetta diesel DSG.

In terms of features, the Jetta gets 6 airbags with ESP. The Altis in comparison gets only 2 airbags.

Only the Elantra is cheaper at 21.xx lakhs for the diesel AT variant.

Even if Honda were to launch the Accord now in India, it would be priced close to the Camry at 28-30L not at 20-22L.

Pricing wise the Jetta is actually on par for this segment. As I mentioned in the other thread, their disadvantage is not having a Comfortline diesel DSG or the 1.4 TSI DSG.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 11:14   #1818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Basically they are giving the car a nose job and selling it. This is just the way VW has been evolving for the last 4 years. I am not saying they should not change the classic design but the world is moving way faster.

Jetta should take a look at the new accord. They have reinforced not just the body but the interiors as well with whole host of options.
Some of us (including me) die for this classic look - Right? We are already cribbing about some of the new Audi's, going with the so called modern looks. VW design has evolved technically / aerodynamically beyond most other manufacturers, without having to compromise on the classic looks of their products. This is excellent in my view; But in general, their cars may look old fashioned to some.

German cars are less reliable when it comes to electronics. IMO, with these cars, it is best to restrict ourselves to driver centric features, which are very essential. We look at German cars for driving dynamics: We can look at Japanese / Korean cars for the other host of options.

I agree that it would be ideal to have everything in a single package. But in the present scenario, IMHO, it would be expecting too much, which leads to dis-satisfaction in general.

Just my opinion..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Civic is no longer in production so let's look at the closest thing to the Civic, the Altis. The Altis is 22L on road bangalore for the top spec 7 speed CVT variant.

In comparison the Jetta is 23.9L but is running good discounts varying from 40-70K. Mind you I am comparing the Altis petrol with the Jetta diesel DSG.
Also, we are discounting the technical superiority of DSG over CVT?
Chethan B G is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 13:09   #1819
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unlike the Japanese or Korean brands, European cars normally do a long run before a generation change happens (6-9 years). The Jetta is only into its 4th year and I guess it can easily go another 2-3 years without looking stale, thanks to its conservative yet elegant design language.

And I don’t think the Jetta is lacking in features compared to the competition. On the contrary, I think it’s more feature-packed than the competition; the only model that gives 6 airbags and ESP as standard across all variants. For comparison, the Elantra have these only in the top variant.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 13:16   #1820
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Also, we are discounting the technical superiority of DSG over CVT?
The DSG is good no doubt, but don't underestimate the Toyota CVT-i. Unless you know before hand there will not be a single guy who can tell that's a CVT.

It's as quick as the DSG and and in city conditions has no lag in that initial movement which the DSG struggles. Rubber band effect is almost non existent and it changes rpm's like a regular box. I would rate the CVT on par in terms of technical superiority to the DSG. Both are the best in the segment.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 07:52   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The DSG is good no doubt, but don't underestimate the Toyota CVT-i. Unless you know before hand there will not be a single guy who can tell that's a CVT.

It's as quick as the DSG and and in city conditions has no lag in that initial movement which the DSG struggles. Rubber band effect is almost non existent and it changes rpm's like a regular box. I would rate the CVT on par in terms of technical superiority to the DSG. Both are the best in the segment.
My opinion.

CVT is buttery smooth, most effortless driving ever!!
DSG is power at your finger tips, most fun driving ever!!

CVT does show rubber band effect when put in an aggressive mode (does happen in city) while the DSG has an slight lag at the very beginning.

I drove both cars on the same stretch; Once I pushed the pedal, CVT did take time to respond while the Jetta just zoomed.

I think people's personalities or style of driving would influence the choice between them. Both are technically superior products.

Note: The lack of safety in Altis put me off when I was deciding on the car
abhilashgp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 08:17   #1822
R17
BHPian

Quote:

A standard civic or accord comes with better features than most of the cars and some of them are standard package.

I do not see this version of Jetta being a hot seller if they dont reduce price.

VW, btw, has done far more than a nose job for the 2015 facelift - they've also reinforced the structure (thereby securing a vastly improved crash rating) and improved the exteriors/interiors.

One of the least discussed and most overlooked upgrades of the 2015 facelift is perhaps its most important, at least for safety-conscious buyers like me.

The pre-facelift Jetta fared poorly in the IIHS small overlap crash test - http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...gen/jetta/2014 . To be fair, these IIHS small overlap crash tests are widely regarded as the toughest crash tests and most of the 5 star EURONCAP cars had also gotten poor ratings in it (eg - Merc C class, BMW 3 and 5 series, Audi 4 etc all fared very poorly). A lot of car makers have opted for mid life structural upgrades to address their poor results on this one (eg- Toyota, for a bunch of models).

The 2015 facelifted Jetta received structural upgrades and aced the small overlap crash tests - http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...lkswagen/jetta

Here are 2 more articles that highlight the safety upgrades -

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...ety-pick-award
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...-safety-rating

And since the Indian Jetta comes as a CKD from the same Mexican plant which builds Jettas for North America ie which builds the Jettas that aced the above test, this structural upgrade should filter down to the Indian models -which is a really good reason to consider the facelifted 2015 Jetta over a discounted 2014 model.

Btw, here's how the 2015 Jetta fares in global crash tests:-
  • Euro NCAP - 5 stars
  • Aus NCAP - 5 stars
  • NHTSA - 5 stars
  • Latin NCAP - 5 stars
  • IIHS - Top safety pick
R17 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 23:35   #1823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Unlike the Japanese or Korean brands, European cars normally do a long run before a generation change happens (6-9 years). The Jetta is only into its 4th year and I guess it can easily go another 2-3 years without looking stale, thanks to its conservative yet elegant design language.
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
And I don’t think the Jetta is lacking in features compared to the competition. On the contrary, I think it’s more feature-packed than the competition; the only model that gives 6 airbags and ESP as standard across all variants. For comparison, the Elantra have these only in the top variant.
I bought the top end Jetta DSG in Oct 2014. Three essential features which I consider missing for such a pricey car are the rear parking camera (only sensors with video display are provided) , a navigation system (at least provision should be given. VW offered option is at a whopping 40K extra). I did not go for it. And there is no USB port to connect a pen drive for the music system!! Provision is given only for an I Phone. I am still looking around for a jack to connect a pen drive.

Otherwise the car is a darling on the road. Esp I love the highway drives and handling. The steering I think, can be a bit more heavy with better feed back(since I was driving a Linea...which was fully hydraulic steering whereas Jetta is not so).
alavandar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 11:00   #1824
BHPian

Friends, My brother owns a December 2013 Jetta TDi comfortline. Due to un-anticipated change in jobs, his car has only run 6k Kms until now, (15 months). He hasn't got the first service (15k kms, 1 year) done yet.
The VW dealer knows him, and told him that he can wait until the car runs close to 10K kms ( maybe in 5 - 6 months) and then get the service done. I want to ask the gurus, if this is advisable?
THe car is mainly used once or twice a month for use only on highways. It is kept carefully, and driven sedately.

Should he get a service done immediately, or can he wait. He plans to keep the car for 6-7 years at least.
Old 15th February 2015, 11:14   #1825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The VW dealer knows him, and told him that he can wait until the car runs close to 10K kms ( maybe in 5 - 6 months) and then get the service don

Can the dealer give it to him in writing that he can delay this first service. Else simply get it done after 1 year. Its 15K kms or 1 year i think
Old 15th February 2015, 11:20   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
I agree

I bought the top end Jetta DSG in Oct 2014. Three essential features which I consider missing for such a pricey car are the rear parking camera (only sensors with video display are provided) , a navigation system (at least provision should be given. VW offered option is at a whopping 40K extra). I did not go for it. And there is no USB port to connect a pen drive for the music system!! Provision is given only for an I Phone. I am still looking around for a jack to connect a pen drive.
Does the hl dsg headunit support bluetooth audio streaming ? I know that it doesnt support switching of tracks like the Audi does but my friends polo gt with the rcd 320 supports bluetooth playback with track changes being done from the phone itself
Zahir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 11:30   #1827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
his car has only run 6k Kms until now, (15 months). He hasn't got the first service (15k kms, 1 year) done yet.
The VW dealer knows him, and told him that he can wait until the car runs close to 10K kms ( maybe in 5 - 6 months) and then get the service done. I want to ask the gurus, if this is advisable?
The VW dealer is giving wrong advice. Volkswagen would happily cancel your friends Jetta warranty just because car has not been serviced within the schedule of 1 year/ 15,000 Kms whichever is earlier.

Ask your friend to get his car serviced immediately and see to that in future even if car runs negligible amount, it should be serviced every year without fail.
Old 15th February 2015, 11:39   #1828
BANNED

Time or km covered (which ever is earlier)
I'm pretty sure you've already void your warranty by now though.
Old 15th February 2015, 21:48   #1829
BHPian

Quote:
Can the dealer give it to him in writing that he can delay this first service. Else simply get it done after 1 year. Its 15K kms or 1 year i think
Dealer mentioned that they can update the service in their system with a back date keeping warranty intact. Dealer is like a close relative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
The VW dealer is giving wrong advice. Volkswagen would happily cancel your friends Jetta warranty just because car has not been serviced within the schedule of 1 year/ 15,000 Kms whichever is earlier.

Ask your friend to get his car serviced immediately and see to that in future even if car runs negligible amount, it should be serviced every year without fail.
I understand, but as I mentioned, the warranty is not a concern. It is safe for sure. The car is the concern. Is it getting damaged because of the period as the mileage is really low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Time or km covered (which ever is earlier)
I'm pretty sure you've already void your warranty by now though.
The warranty is not a concern. We know for sure that the warranty is not void. We just want to understand the implications of the "period" on the car.

Take engine oil for example, will it lose its qualities (viscosity etc.) after 1 year as the running is very low, or 4-5 months here and there don't matter.

I know a BMW owner who has a 5 series with very low running. His car computer is adaptive, and he has had the car for 16 months now, run it 5k Kms and the car still doesn't ask for a service.

I am not comparing Jetta to a Bimmer, but I guess the synthetic oil grades are pretty similar in both.
Old 15th February 2015, 22:23   #1830
BANNED

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Why take a chance really?
If the running is low and the car is driven sedately, it's all the more reason to get it serviced on time.
If I were in your shoes, I'd :
a) start driving more
b) get it services according to the manufacturer specified intervals.

EDIT: contrary to popular belief, driving at low rpms is quite bad for the engine. It should be done only when the engine is cold. Otherwise, the occasional Italian tuneup works wonders.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 15th February 2015 at 22:25.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks