Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2015, 15:55   #1936
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
Last week I rented a VW Jetta in Seattle, WA. It felt really under powered. From a 25MPH zone to a 45MPH zone, it would take forever to accelerate much to the frustration of the behemoth SUVs patiently trailing behind. (Automatic gearbox)

Is the Jetta version we have in India identical to the US version?
In US there are 6 engine options available (from VW US website). 2.0MPFI @115HP, 1.8TSI @170HP, 1.4TSI @150HP, 2.0TDI @150HP, 1.4Hybrid @150HP and 2.0TSI @210HP.

In India, we have 1.4TSI @120HP (122PS), and 2.0TDI @138HP (140PS).

You must have driven the 2.0MPFI model which has a naturally aspirated engine. 115HP for a weight of 1300kg+ definitely would have been slow. Were it a TSI or a TDI model, your experience would have been totally different. Also, the automatic gearbox may have been the regular slush box, not the DSG (I am not sure about this though).

Last edited by graaja : 29th April 2015 at 15:57.
Old 29th April 2015, 20:08   #1937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Forum, Is there any Jetta owner from Hyderabad who can comment on their workshop experience from getting their car serviced? After all, buying the car is a 60 minute experience, but servicing it? More like a lifetime one.....
I shudder to think about it. I have been after them to give me a test drive of the Jetta. I have visited the showroom, sent a website enquiry but no luck. If this is their attitude before buying I wonder how it will be once I buy it.
adentist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 20:15   #1938
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Forum, Is there any Jetta owner from Hyderabad who can comment on their workshop experience from getting their car serviced? After all, buying the car is a 60 minute experience, but servicing it? More like a lifetime one.....
Check out Amarendranath's ownership thread. He has written about the dealership experience.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 09:57   #1939
BHPian

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:

My car is up for service. I will comment on the experience soon. I have been around the gachibowli workshop every now and then getting small things done, they were always co-operative. But the paint jobs are done better in Medchal workshop.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2015, 13:53   #1940
BHPian

Posting after a long time on this thread. Couple of things:

Second Year Servicing Experience at BUB:

Got the second year servicing done at B. U. Bhandari in April. The car did not *look* like any kind of servicing was done, though as a proof they sent me couple of old components such as air filter, partially filled can of oil etc. I had a look at the checklist that the driver carried and it seemed that a number of checks were ACTUALLY performed (that is if you trust the person signing the checklist. LOL). The reason it did not look like it was serviced was because except for those brown papers they put on the mats (I find them annoying BTW) nothing seemed to have been done on the inside. There was dust and clearly the car was not even cleaned and vacuumed properly. The dashboard was also not cleaned properly. Thankfully though no dashboard polish was applied.

I had a similar experience last year when they not only left the car unclean, they also added some fresh stains (of oil) on the fabric seats (makes me regret buying a Trendline everytime )

Also, when I checked the tyre pressure next morning (cold tyres) it was 45 psi all around

I think there is no such thing as quality control at B. U. Bhandari. I got a call requesting feedback about the servicing almost after a month, which shows their seriousness. Even my wife's Hyundai car seems much fresher when it comes back from servicing.

And finally another topic:
I came across these cool looking headlights on Aliexpress, and I am really tempted.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/AUTO-...285877634.html

Couple of questions:

1. I am not sure if these would be really plug and play and whether the DRLs would work (Trendline has no DRLs).
2. Customs duty?
3. If anyone has experience of swapping the headlights that would be useful.

TIA.
Old 10th May 2015, 14:13   #1941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Posting after a long time on this thread. Couple of things:

Second Year Servicing Experience at BUB:

Got the second year servicing done at B. U. Bhandari in April. The car did not *look* like any kind of servicing was done, though as a proof they sent me couple of old components such as air filter, partially filled can of oil etc. I had a look at the checklist that the driver carried and it seemed that a number of checks were ACTUALLY performed (that is if you trust the person signing the checklist. LOL). The reason it did not look like it was serviced was because except for those brown papers they put on the mats (I find them annoying BTW) nothing seemed to have been done on the inside. There was dust and clearly the car was not even cleaned and vacuumed properly. The dashboard was also not cleaned properly. Thankfully though no dashboard polish was applied.

I had a similar experience last year when they not only left the car unclean, they also added some fresh stains (of oil) on the fabric seats (makes me regret buying a Trendline everytime )

Also, when I checked the tyre pressure next morning (cold tyres) it was 45 psi all around

I think there is no such thing as quality control at B. U. Bhandari. I got a call requesting feedback about the servicing almost after a month, which shows their seriousness. Even my wife's Hyundai car seems much fresher when it comes back from servicing.

And finally another topic:
I came across these cool looking headlights on Aliexpress, and I am really tempted.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/AUTO-...285877634.html

Couple of questions:

1. I am not sure if these would be really plug and play and whether the DRLs would work (Trendline has no DRLs).
2. Customs duty?
3. If anyone has experience of swapping the headlights that would be useful.

TIA.

I have had similar experiences with VW service center's here in mumbai as well so nothing new on VW's servicing part really

The headlights are indeed plug and play, i had enquired the same from another seller on aliexpress (dont recollect the name though)
Till now i have ordered car parts upto around 15k, with shipping via usually EMS or any faster method and i havent had to pay any custom duty,but one can be never sure about it.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2015, 14:25   #1942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
The headlights are indeed plug and play
That may be the case with most Jetta variants but keep in mind that Trendline has no concept of DRL, so I don't know if it would require coding (using VCDS) to enable the DRLs or some electrical work may be required. I asked the question to the seller but the reply was that these are plug and play.
Old 10th May 2015, 15:41   #1943
BHPian

I am in fact looking at the same headlights and they seem to be plug and play. If you do order them, please let me know how it goes. Be prepared to pay around 1-2k as customs
Old 10th May 2015, 16:03   #1944
BHPian

Quote:
That may be the case with most Jetta variants but keep in mind that Trendline has no concept of DRL, so I don't know if it would require coding (using VCDS) to enable the DRLs or some electrical work may be required. I asked the question to the seller but the reply was that these are plug and play.
I just checked out the headlamps and they look wow. the best chinese headlight job I have ever seen. They look plug and play to me. I find the Golf 7 touches very classy.

Your headlights and turn signal should work without any fuss. When it comes to DRL, i think they will work when the the lights are turned on. To keep them on during day, you will need to run a wire from the BCM. This upgrade is totally worth it. You can install these yourself and get help for the DRL wiring later. Let me know your experience.
Old 10th May 2015, 21:27   #1945
BHPian

The headlights look nice:

DRLs:
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-jettaheadlightswapindoff.jpg

Indicators ON:
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-jettaheadlightswap.jpg

Note: Above are photoshopped images, not actual pictures ;-)

Last edited by MandarMax : 10th May 2015 at 21:35.
Old 10th May 2015, 23:25   #1946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes i had mentioned if its plug and play for the trims lower than the highline version and the reply was indeed positive, so i dont think it would be a problem with coding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I am in fact looking at the same headlights and they seem to be plug and play. If you do order them, please let me know how it goes. Be prepared to pay around 1-2k as customs
Yes being prepared to pay 1-2k would be okay, though it can always be either nil or maybe even more than 2k at times. Indian customs are really dicey,they have charged me 500rs on a pen with the value of around 4k, and at times i have paid nothing for a car spoiler with value of around 8k.
Old 11th May 2015, 13:01   #1947
BHPian

Quote:
I too own a trendline and have been looking for upgrad in headlights. I once had a small accident, repairs needed front bumper change and change of both headlines as per VW workshop. No damage was on headlights, just a strut supporting headlights was broken. I asked them if they can install the headlight unit of a highline varient. As usual the answer was NO. The reason their technical guys provided is that the wiring harness of trendline is completely different than that in highline and its not a simple plug and play. Since this was an insurance claim, i didnt argue much. I cant recall the exact price of trendline headlights, but i was around 24K for both. So i understand it cant be more than 50K for highline headlights with projector and DRL.

So, yes i would be really interested to know if its possible and dont mind going for OEM upgrade. Applogies for bad picture clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20140616_073154.jpg  

Old 11th May 2015, 13:25   #1948
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
I cant recall the exact price of trendline headlights, but i was around 24K for both. So i understand it cant be more than 50K for highline headlights with projector and DRL.

So, yes i would be really interested to know if its possible and dont mind going for OEM upgrade. Applogies for bad picture clarity.
The price of Jetta's OEM headlights with bixenon projectors and DRLs will be close to the range of 1L with the ballasts (attached to the headlights) and the harness. Moreover, these are auto-leveling headlights so the BCM might need an upgrade if you have a midline BCM.

Can it be done? Yes they can be. Will the authorised service center do it? Depends. Some are willing to do it if the owner is willing to compromise on the electrical warranty. Most would deny.

EDIT: A cheaper alternative sans the DRLs would be to invest in Morimoto FXRs. Will perform as good as the stock setup. You don't get auto leveling but you can manually set that up. You can even opt for the expensive Matsushita ballasts. The landed price will be less than 50k INR.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th May 2015 at 13:33.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 14:11   #1949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The price of Jetta's OEM headlights with bixenon projectors and DRLs will be close to the range of 1L with the ballasts (attached to the headlights) and the harness. Moreover, these are auto-leveling headlights so the BCM might need an upgrade if you have a midline BCM.

Can it be done? Yes they can be. Will the authorised service center do it? Depends. Some are willing to do it if the owner is willing to compromise on the electrical warranty. Most would deny.

EDIT: A cheaper alternative sans the DRLs would be to invest in Morimoto FXRs. Will perform as good as the stock setup. You don't get auto leveling but you can manually set that up. You can even opt for the expensive Matsushita ballasts. The landed price will be less than 50k INR.
Thanks Gannu-1. The sole reason i am ready to do go for OEM setup is that by making such upgrades the urge to upgrade to higher segment car can be calmed down for further 2-3 years. I will anyhow wait till my extended warranty expires in another 1.5 years and then remap ECU by petes or some other to 190 hp and 380 NM and upgrade headlights, which should calm me down for another 3 years before that urge kicks to upgrade to higher segment. As a gujju, it doesnt sound exciting to go for upgrade of 2L diesel with 190 hp or around by paying double the money. But yes 8-speed ZF in jaguar XE certainly makes my heart desiring.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 16:53   #1950
BHPian

Managed to go 8 months without any major scratches on my 2014 Jetta HL DSG but alas all good things have to come to an end I guess. Autowallah swiped the rear passenger side today. Paint has come off the rear quarter panel and some scratches on the rear door.
Called the VW dealership in whitefield to get a quote and was quoted 13K + taxes to dent and paint the rear door and rear quarter panel.
Based on recommendations from team-bhp, I called trend automobiles in hosur road, sent him a picture and he is quoting 5.6K + taxes..
Do you guys think the trend automobiles guy will be able to a do a good job? The price difference is big enough for me to at least consider him.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20150512_140137.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks