Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2015, 10:04   #1966
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Hi Forum,

Need some inputs for my Jetta:

1) Whats the best tyre pressure all round for Indian roads?
2) Does filling tyres with nitrogen help in any way, I have been seeing mixed reviews.
3) In my Jetta at the moment, I have to slow down to a trickle when going over flyover section joints, else I get a jarring thud, is this the case with others? On undulating roads the Jetta does not show any signs of getting affected.
4) Coming from a petrol car, the diesel car behaves in totally different way, on low speeds the engine is not that refined, and is a bit laggish. Then the turbo kicks in and its as if a monsters wakes up, but still I do not find that smooth refinement of the petrol. Am I doing something wrong or is it just the petrol engine versus diesel engine conundrum?

All inputs appreciated.
Hiya!

1) 33 all round is good enough, as graaja pointed out.
3) This happens with me too. In fact, some days back I was following a Jetta and observing it as it too went over the flyover section joints and while I obviously couldn;t hear it thud, I could see the suspension work overtime to absorb the joint as it went over it. Don't think it's anything alarming and seems normal.
4) It's just the way the car is. I too find that there isn't enough go at the bottom-end, and clearly it was a conscious decision to put the meat of the torque in a certain band while foregoing the lower end of the rev range. And yes, the smoothness of a petrol is simply not possible even for these moder-day, sophisticated diesels. Don't worry, nothing's wrong at your end. It's just how the car behaves.
iliketurtles is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:40   #1967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
1. I have been using a pressure of 33psi all around, with me and my wife in the front and 2 kids in the rear. I find this to give a balance between good grip and fuel economy. I haven't tried any other combination yet.
Thanks for the pointer graaja. I stopped at a roadside puncture place today and used his gauge (a handheld analog one) to check the tyre pressures on my Jetta. To my dismay I found 50 and 45 on the rear and 40s on the front tyres. Did they really deliver my Jetta with such high tyre pressures? I actually distrusted his gauge and decided to try the digital pressure gauges on petrol pumps, will report what I find.

Quote:
3. I too hear the thud sound while going on flyovers in the highways. Not sure if this is expected behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
3) This happens with me too. In fact, some days back I was following a Jetta and observing it as it too went over the flyover section joints and while I obviously couldn;t hear it thud, I could see the suspension work overtime to absorb the joint as it went over it. Don't think it's anything alarming and seems normal.
Thanks guys. My problem is whenever I go to the Pune city I have to cross 3 flyovers, these are city flyovers not highway. And the joints on the flyovers are pretty much like potholes themselves, just stretching all across the width of the flyover, and I hate the fact that I have to be so careful, when cars in a lower segment just rush through them. When I read Jetta reviews I always heard terms like "glide over potholes" etc, which made me feel you wont feel a thing in the Jetta. Maybe I was wrong.

Quote:
4. As far as I know, you cannot expect the same refinement from a diesel engine as from petrol. I usually find the cabin to be very silent when the upshift happens and the RPM is around 1000 to 1100. While driving sedately inside city, I try to keep the RPM in this band, and it is very relaxing (of course the lag is there). From 1100 to 1800RPM, the engine sounds a little rough, and after 1800RPM, once the turbo spools up, it is pure bliss!
Quote:
4) It's just the way the car is. I too find that there isn't enough go at the bottom-end, and clearly it was a conscious decision to put the meat of the torque in a certain band while foregoing the lower end of the rev range. And yes, the smoothness of a petrol is simply not possible even for these moder-day, sophisticated diesels. Don't worry, nothing's wrong at your end. It's just how the car behaves.
Thanks again guys, this totally mirrors what I experience. Yes when the turbo kicks in there is nothing like this car.

On a separate note, I think I may have hit my first few Jetta niggles within 3 months of purchase. Yesterday I took my kids to a park in the center of Pune, when we came out we hung around the car doing this and that, opened the boot, put the stuff in there, closed it and got ready to head off. Just then the wifey realised I forgot to take out my little ones water beaker from the boot, so I open the drivers door head to the boot, try to open it, it wont open, there was a hissing sound like it was trying to open. I came back tried from the button on the drivers door, no luck. Tried to open from the button on the car key, no luck. Eventually I had to fold down the rear seat by 40% to reach for my stuff in the boot.

This morning I called up my SA and narrated the problem to him, he called me in. When I arrived he got into the boot from the 40% folded seat and opened the boot manually from inside. After that he showed me the boot was opening and closing without any issues, I came back home a happy customer.

Alas, the happiness was shortlived, had to drop some house guests to the bus stand after lunch, put there luggages in the boot, reached the bus stand and my fears came true, the boot did not open. Gave them the luggage from the 40% folded down seat, now am going to take my car to the VW workshop tomorrow to get it looked at properly. But again, it would be hard to convince me now that it wont happen again, when I need whats inside the boot the most. Note that usually I have 2 car seats in the back, so its impossible for me to fold down the rear seat without taking at least one car seat out.

The other takeaway from this experience, you can only fold 40% of the seat from inside, to fold the rest of the 60% you need to get into the boot.

Now consider you were in an accident, locked-in the car due to malfunctioning electronics, and you needed to get out the boot way, unless you are a slim guy who can get into the boot from the 40% seat space, you are doomed. Not very happy with what I found there I am afraid.

Will post my experience at the workshop tomorrow when I am back.

Last edited by harryputtar : 3rd June 2015 at 17:44. Reason: Correcting grammatical error
Old 4th June 2015, 03:23   #1968
Senior - BHPian

Check these two videos. Though these are MKV and before version the system will mostly be the same in the newer jetta.

If you can spend little time you can try opening and checking if there is a real issue with the lever system.

And guys if possible take the extended warranty. After 4.6 years the first big bill items listed by the service agents are as follows

- Steering gear - 80k(You can try getting this part but its tough). this is rack and pinion assembly
- Suspension both - Close to 30K
- AC compressor with drier etc - Close to 80K (Can get this part outside but again through Ebay or something)
- Alloy and tyres - Thats a huge quote with which we can buy a nano
- Headlight assembly - 15K

None of these were called out in earlier service just when i had warranty. But thats how these things work.

I have a nice mechanic outside the service so will mostly source parts and replace them. But this gives you an idea of ownership cost as things start to wear out.

So if u get a chance to take an extended warranty take it and make sure you run that compressor like hell as it will fail at 30-40K or 4yrs time frame and its a big ticket item.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 06:05   #1969
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the pointer graaja. I stopped at a roadside puncture place today and used his gauge (a handheld analog one) to check the tyre pressures on my Jetta. To my dismay I found 50 and 45 on the rear and 40s on the front tyres. Did they really deliver my Jetta with such high tyre pressures? I actually distrusted his gauge and decided to try the digital pressure gauges on petrol pumps, will report what I find.
Do double check the actual pressure in the tyres. If the pressure is in the 40-50 range - someone please correct me if I am wrong - then that itself could be the cause for the thuds you hear in the flyovers.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 07:49   #1970
BHPian

Quote:
I stopped at a roadside puncture place today and used his gauge (a handheld analog one) to check the tyre pressures on my Jetta. To my dismay I found 50 and 45 on the rear and 40s on the front tyres. Did they really deliver my Jetta with such high tyre pressures?

I assume that tire pressure was checked at a shop by the time you must have covered enough distance. It would result in showing high tire pressure due to heated gas (air) inside the tire as we all know that temperature and pressure are directly proportional to each other.

It is always recommended to check tire pressure in cold stage. May be you should get it checked at a shop that is near to your home or work area.

Quote:
If the pressure is in the 40-50 range - someone please correct me if I am wrong - then that itself could be the cause for the thuds you hear in the flyovers.

I agree with graaja, that high tire pressure causes stiffer and noisy ride. The ride will also be harsh and bouncy on rough roads or pot holes as the tires have lesser point of contact and thus less traction with the road surface due to inflated pressure and it also increases the risk of puncture.
utsav1303 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 08:10   #1971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

And guys if possible take the extended warranty. After 4.6 years the first big bill items listed by the service agents are as follows

- Steering gear - 80k(You can try getting this part but its tough). this is rack and pinion assembly
- Suspension both - Close to 30K
- AC compressor with drier etc - Close to 80K (Can get this part outside but again through Ebay or something)
- Alloy and tyres - Thats a huge quote with which we can buy a nano
- Headlight assembly - 15K

None of these were called out in earlier service just when i had warranty. But thats how these things work.

I have a nice mechanic outside the service so will mostly source parts and replace them. But this gives you an idea of ownership cost as things start to wear out.

So if u get a chance to take an extended warranty take it and make sure you run that compressor like hell as it will fail at 30-40K or 4yrs time frame and its a big ticket item.
Hi VW2010,

I have extended warranty and I have driven about 35K Kms till date (21 months). But I still think that it is just luck to have a compressor failure within warranty of 4 years.

Any idea about the life of the suspension coils and studs? Should last atleast about 60K Kms?

After 4 years, we got to spend some money on any car. As you said, a good local mechanic would reduce the burden for some mechanical issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsav1303 View Post
I assume that tire pressure was checked at a shop by the time you must have covered enough distance. It would result in showing high tire pressure due to heated gas (air) inside the tire as we all know that temperature and pressure are directly proportional to each other.

It is always recommended to check tire pressure in cold stage. May be you should get it checked at a shop that is near to your home or work area.
In any case, pressure difference will be within 5 Psi at the most. We can always deduct about 4 Psi to know approximate cold pressure. Anything above 40 is very high.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 10:14   #1972
Team-BHP Support

It could be the boot motor packing up. Happened on the Skoda. I have a spare one
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 14:12   #1973
BHPian

Firstly, thanks a lot for all your inputs, really appreciate it!

Quote:
If you can spend little time you can try opening and checking if there is a real issue with the lever system.

And guys if possible take the extended warranty.
Thanks VW2010, took it to the workshop this morning, update below. I have taken extended warranty for 2 years, after the current warranty of 2 years expires. I was told by the SA that I can extend it for another 2 years thereafter, which I totally plan to do.

Quote:
Hmm, I am not quite sure how much my annual running will be, but theres a good chance it will go in that range in 6 years. Hopefully I can run the compressor down while still in the warranty period

Quote:
Do double check the actual pressure in the tyres. If the pressure is in the 40-50 range - someone please correct me if I am wrong - then that itself could be the cause for the thuds you hear in the flyovers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsav1303 View Post
Thanks guys on my visit to the workshop today I asked them to check the pressure all round. Turns out while the rear tyres were at 40, the front tyres were 40 and 45! They have now toned it down to 35 all round, and must admit the ride back was a lot more stable, happy with the result. Thanks again for the inputs folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I have extended warranty and I have driven about 35K Kms till date (21 months). In any case, pressure difference will be within 5 Psi at the most. We can always deduct about 4 Psi to know approximate cold pressure. Anything above 40 is very high.
Awesome Chethan, you are clearly enjoying the Jetta to the fullest, wish I could do as much driving as you, have little kids though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It could be the boot motor packing up. Happened on the Skoda. I have a spare one
Could be. Their official verdict after trying manually, and running diagnostics using a laptop, was that the latch was faulty, and they need to replace it. In typical VW style, they do not seem to have it in stock at the workahop, as this model is "too new" . Anyway, they are now trying to procure it from their warehouse in Aurangabad.

I really need the Jetta this Saturday, when I expect to have a boot brimming with luggage, so hoping this fiasco can end by Saturday afternoon at max.

Come on VW, a premium car 2 months old, and parts failing randomly like this? This is a new low, or am I overreacting?
harryputtar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 18:33   #1974
BHPian

Quick update on my situation forum, apologies for the back to back posts moderators.

So got a call this morning from the VW workshop, they had received the new latch from the warehouse in Aurangabad. Drove in to the workshop in the afternoon and the new latch was installed after some formalities like creating a job card etc. I was out of the workshop in around an hour, with a working boot, which was fixed under warranty.

Although I am a bit unhappy about the latch failing so soon, I have to admit it was a good after-sales support experience overall.

On a separate note, on the way to the workshop there is a short stretch of the highway, before I knew I was doing 100 kmph and the Jetta was almost flying. Thanks for all the folks to help me with the tyre pressure change, it finally felt like the car I purchased .
Old 6th June 2015, 09:12   #1975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Come on VW, a premium car 2 months old, and parts failing randomly like this? This is a new low, or am I overreacting?
Those parts will fail. They can fail after 20 years or 20 days or 20 minutes. These are mass production parts and some may be a lemon and its very hard to detect them as most pass the QC in the plant.

Cars like Jetta have the most detail self service data available on the net and i am sure i would have been all over that latch even before i took it to the service centre. Worst case i would have tried even home remedy and avoid the pain of taking it to the service center but thats me. I like messing with the car all the time
Old 7th June 2015, 13:22   #1976
BHPian

Quote:
On a separate note, on the way to the workshop there is a short stretch of the highway, before I knew I was doing 100 kmph and the Jetta was almost flying. Thanks for all the folks to help me with the tyre pressure change, it finally felt like the car I purchased .
It takes a couple of months and up to 2000km for the car to run in properly. You will probably notice a much smoother ride after that (though it will still not fly off from a standing start). And the pedals will also feel a lot more responsive and comfortable. From experience this car is really a beauty on open roads. The torque transfer, the aerodynamics, the handling and the way the car grips the road makes it a real pleasure to drive.
Old 7th June 2015, 14:44   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Hiya!

1) 33 all round is good enough, as graaja pointed out.
Quote:
Hi Forum,

Need some inputs for my Jetta:

1) Whats the best tyre pressure all round for Indian roads?
2) Does filling tyres with nitrogen help in any way, I have been seeing mixed reviews.
3) In my Jetta at the moment, I have to slow down to a trickle when going over flyover section joints, else I get a jarring thud, is this the case with others? On undulating roads the Jetta does not show any signs of getting affected.
4) Coming from a petrol car, the diesel car behaves in totally different way, on low speeds the engine is not that refined, and is a bit laggish. Then the turbo kicks in and its as if a monsters wakes up, but still I do not find that smooth refinement of the petrol. Am I doing something wrong or is it just the petrol engine versus diesel engine conundrum?

All inputs appreciated.
As other Jetta owners have also pointed out, I am also a very satisfied customer and my few cents to add. I have also been sticking to tyre pressure of 33 at most times as we are mostly three of us travelling. I do use nitrogen and believe it has helped me with better mileage and reducing probability of tyre issues over long distance runs. My diesel highline(auto) is now 14 months and has done 36k. Nitrogen may have definitely helped keeping the tyres a bit cooler. You get the best FE at speeds around 65 kmpl(D6) and once you upgrade the stock tyres it may go up in similar situation. You just have to get used to the driving pattern of this car, and you are then the leader. Its a GEM. Posting a FE recording photo about few months older:

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-picture-035.jpg

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-picture-037.jpg
nikesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 18:41   #1978
Senior - BHPian

I was looking to clean my dirty windscreen yesterday when I got this notification yesterday.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_3378.jpg

Looks like I'm going to have to top up the fluid myself. But with what? Anyone got any tips for what to use/do?

I came across this concentrate that seems promising. Thoughts?
iliketurtles is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 20:08   #1979
BANNED

I'm also using the same WWC, it's good enough. In the meantime you can fill in distilled(or drinking) water, never fill in tap water, it can spread disease (google it for details)
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 20:29   #1980
BHPian

Hi

My 2012 Jetta HL has done 34k kms. I'm likely to go for a tyre replacement in sometime. Grip at high speed corners and low noise matter the most to me apart from life of the tyre. Please suggest based on your experience with various brands and prices. from the forum I gather p3st seems to be the popular choice. Please recommend a good tyre outlet in Mumbai or Navi Mumbai or any reliable website from where I can order the tyres.

thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks