Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2017, 16:33   #2911
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Remap or no remap, it doesn't matter where you service. No one is touching the ECU unless there is a recall to do so in case of VW centers. The maps cannot be changed with software any of these centers have so you dont have to worry about it. Even for resetting the interval the VCDS allows only basic changes and not remap changes which requires a completely different set of softwares.

Petes recommend 7.5 K for servicing? you can shift to 10K post the first 7k service. I dont see a need for changing oil every 7.5 K even if the car was remapped. Depending upon the version of car the remap could simply be standard in another country. For example the MKV was sold as some 110 BHP car in india, and the same car was running with a map of 130 BHP or so in EU and their service interval did not change because of this map.

7000 for oil, all filters looks CHEAP. Go for it and avoid VW authorized steal'ers. I meant dealers.
You were so right. Even authorized service center guys said the same thing. we just have to tell them about the remap and they wont touch it. I tried 2-3 aftermarket service centers including bosch but couldnt find one which is confidence inspiring to go for it. Breakpads were due as well, so got her serviced at VW, Automark only.

Satisfactory experience and the hunt for non-OE service center continues.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 19:35   #2912
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Satisfactory experience and the hunt for non-OE service center continues.
If you can travel 600 km and spend a weekend, check out the VW Navjivan service center at Navsari. Used to be my second home during my stay there. The service advisor - Umesh is a very helpful guy and the technicians are very knowledgeable. The service center attached to the dealership, is located adjacent to the main highway.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 20:32   #2913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
If you can travel 600 km and spend a weekend, check out the VW Navjivan service center at Navsari. Used to be my second home during my stay there. The service advisor - Umesh is a very helpful guy and the technicians are very knowledgeable. The service center attached to the dealership, is located adjacent to the main highway.
I travel to Mysore (140kms) for every single service.. Nice experience!!

But 600 kms is steep.. 😊
Old 12th June 2017, 12:15   #2914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I travel to Mysore (140kms) for every single service.. Nice experience!!

But 600 kms is steep
If you can travel to Chennai I have a very reliable guy who earlier worked with VW, Audi and now set up his own garage. My car is serviced by him for the last 7 years basically.

Let me know and i can share the contact details.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 09:39   #2915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Certainly i can travel. Valsad is my hometown actually. The support i am looking for now is more than a usual service. I am now interested to upgrade the headlights to OEM bi-xenon projector setup. Mine is trendline and I want to upgrade to headlights of highline trim. I know its not a simple plug and play, but i know it can be done. New wiring harness, changes in VCDS and a new headlight switch etc will be required. I am looking for a place where this swap can be done successfully. Do you have someone in mind in Gujarat or any other place for that matter?
Old 13th June 2017, 18:24   #2916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
New wiring harness, changes in VCDS and a new headlight switch etc will be required. I am looking for a place where this swap can be done successfully. Do you have someone in mind in Gujarat or any other place for that matter?
Hey there, as you mentioned, its not a direct swap. The module will come with AFS, and I think your car doesn't have fog lamps. It will require a new BCM high version, headlights, bulbs, ballasts, wiring, switch, sensor for auto lights, that will come coupled with rain sensor and you could also change the IRVM to the auto dimming type. Ganesh (gannu_1) has done this on his Polo.

Its a lot of work, may be roughly 2-3 days to do it properly. The costs? I estimate approximately 2.5 to 3 lacs for everything.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 18:59   #2917
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am now interested to upgrade the headlights to OEM bi-xenon projector setup. Mine is trendline and I want to upgrade to headlights of highline trim. I know its not a simple plug and play, but i know it can be done. New wiring harness, changes in VCDS and a new headlight switch etc will be required. I am looking for a place where this swap can be done successfully. Do you have someone in mind in Gujarat or any other place for that matter?
I very much doubt if the VW service center guys will have the expertise to do this conversion. When I upgraded the headlights in my Polo GT to BiXenons, I too was looking for support from some VW technician. I found someone who was willing to come to my place and help as well. But when I explained him the work that needed to be done (BCM change, wiring harness change, VCDS coding etc.), he started giving excuses for a few weeks, and then started avoiding my calls. That is when I went the DIY way.

You have several options:

1. Get all the OEM parts (sourcing from Europe will be cheaper than getting from VW in India), do lot of research and then do a DIY installation or take help of an experienced auto electrician and make him do the wiring with your guidance. This will be the full fledged setup with AFS, cornering lights etc. As Adi pointed out, this is going to cost you 2 to 2.5 lacs (it cost me close to 2L for the Polo).

2. Get just the OEM headlights, get a compatible adapter cable harness, and perform a simple retrofit installation. In this method, you will not have some of the advanced features like cornering lights, AFS etc., but you will have the most important features working.

3. Get some good quality after market projectors like Morimotos and have a retrofit.

4. There are lots of plug and play replicas available in eBay and AliExpress.

I do not recommend #3 and #4, but just listing them nonetheless. I am sure you are looking for OEM performance and #3 and #4 would not interest you.

Good luck with the hunt for better headlights.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 20:25   #2918
Senior - BHPian

Ganesh, if I have to change Jetta's headlights to the bi-xenon OEM, how complicated would that be? Is headlight washer a must?

My car is HL MT...😊

Thanks in advance 👍
Old 13th June 2017, 20:41   #2919
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Ganesh, if I have to change Jetta's headlights to the bi-xenon OEM, how complicated would that be? Is headlight washer a must?

My car is HL MT...😊
Hi,

Although I can't answer the technical part of this, the headlamp washers are not mandatory in India. They are a compulsion in the EU for Xenons. Here's an article:

https://www.carlightblog.com/2013/10...washer-system/
Old 13th June 2017, 21:25   #2920
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

My car is HL MT...😊

Thanks in advance 👍
Hi Chethan, do you have automatic headlights and rain sensing wipers in your car? If yes, then upgrading to BiXenons should be less complicated. But I will need several details like how the headlights are controlled, what BCM is there in the car etc.
Old 14th June 2017, 00:03   #2921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi Chethan, do you have automatic headlights and rain sensing wipers in your car? If yes, then upgrading to BiXenons should be less complicated. But I will need several details like how the headlights are controlled, what BCM is there in the car etc.
Hi Ganesh, Thanks for the quick reply!

I have the following stock features in my Jetta:

1. Automatic headlights
2. Cornering fog-lamps
3. Rain sensing wipers
4. 10 pin connector for the headlamps
5. CAN Gateway - 7N0 907 530AN
6. TPMS - Indirect
7. Stock Battery
8. No electrical modifications done as on date.
9. Jetta MK6 2013 Make - 2.0 Tdi HL MT - Pre face-lift.
10. WIN Number: WVWE13164DA550521 - My Jetta.pdf

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-imag0259.jpg
Upgraded from stock 7N0 907 530AF for Driver fatigue alert..

Please let me know if any further details are required..

Thanks in Advance!!
Old 14th June 2017, 21:10   #2922
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Ganesh, Thanks for the quick reply!

I have the following stock features in my Jetta:

1. Automatic headlights
2. Cornering fog-lamps
3. Rain sensing wipers
4. 10 pin connector for the headlamps
5. CAN Gateway - 7N0 907 530AN
6. TPMS - Indirect
7. Stock Battery
8. No electrical modifications done as on date.
9. Jetta MK6 2013 Make - 2.0 Tdi HL MT - Pre face-lift.
10. WIN Number: Attachment 1648163

Attachment 1648162
Upgraded from stock 7N0 907 530AF for Driver fatigue alert..

Please let me know if any further details are required..

Thanks in Advance!!
One more thing to check is what BCM is installed.

There are some BCMs that support BiXenon's, especially the flashing function. When the headlight is off and if you flash using the high beam stalk, then in a BiXenon, the low beam also has to be powered as the low beam signal is the one that powers the light. The high beam signal just lifts a shutter. If the BCM installed in the car does not support BiXenon, then you will have to make some custom changes like adding a diode from high beam to low beam signal.

Another important feature that the BCM has to support is the DRLs. The DRLs in the Jetta require two signals, one +12V signal and another PWM signal. The +12V turns on the DRLs and the PWM controls the brightness. This also has to be supported by the BCM. If not, then you will have to do some custom connections to the DRL signals.

The Bixenon headlights have built in cornering lamps. So, the signals from the fog lamps have to be connected to the cornering lamps, and a new wiring harness for the fog lamps has to be installed to turn them on from the fog light signal.

As the BCM is different for the Jetta, I do not know the complete details, but the concept I have listed above applies.

Can you check what is the BCM you have in the Jetta? Also, if you open the BCM using VCDS and use long coding helper, if you see options to select BiXenons, and control DRL functions, then the BCM also is compatible. Otherwise, you will need a BCM upgrade.

Lastly, AFS is a totally independent module. You can actually install the BiXenons without AFS and just calibrate the leveling using the leveling screws. With this you will lose on the automatic leveling and dynamic cornering. But you can always install AFS later and add the feature.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 21:55   #2923
Senior - BHPian

Is BCM not the same as CAN Gateway?

If not, physically where is it located?

I will check the VCDS logs and confirm the rest.. 😊
Old 15th June 2017, 04:40   #2924
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is BCM not the same as CAN Gateway?

If not, physically where is it located?

I will check the VCDS logs and confirm the rest.. 😊
No. BCM is different from CAN Gateway (some BCMs come with integrated CAN gateway). It is located under the steering column and is a very difficult piece of controller to access.

Do a VCDS autoscan and export it to a text file. Attach the file. BCM information should be there in the report.
Old 15th June 2017, 07:29   #2925
Distinguished - BHPian

Ganesh, looks like the Jetta owners are doing much more R&D than is Octavia owners :-).

Have a query: is there any coding way to increase my Octavia Style Plus'es Bi-X lightbulb intensity? If not are there any other plug and play options?

I'm frankly not impressed with either low or high beam.

Most Viewed