Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2019, 00:11   #3331
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
Does the 2011 Jetta Highline have front footwell lights from factory? I recently dropped my car at a FNG for painting. Can't seem to recall if the Jetta had or didn't have or is it just my feeling as all my other cars have it.

Thanks and Regards
Nope no Jetta from any manufacturing batch or year had footwell lights, even though the Vento did get it post 2015.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 00:29   #3332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Jetta owners - I am facing a rather peculiar issue with my Jetta. I am experiencing slight shake/vibrations on the steering when the speed of the car goes beyond 100. The vibrations increase at 120, and progressively thereafter.

I faced similar issue about 3 yrs ago, and it turned out my alloys were bent. I changed them under warranty, and lived in peace for a couple of yrs. This time too, the alloys were bent - so, I changed them again, with after-market ones this time. Currently, my car is running Momo revenge 17", with Michelin PS4 225 R45, which I think is the right size (for an upgrade). However, the shakes and judders in the steering hasn't gone. I've shown it the VW guys, who seem to have no clue!

I am very frustrated with the lack of knowledge of both the tyre shop (a very famous one in NCR region), as well as VW folks - who actually blamed the tyre upgrade for a long while. The VW service folks claim that the suspension is perfectly okay (I hope they are right).

What to do now...?
one of your alloy might be bent again! I had the same setup in my Civic (225/45 R17) and after 3 balancing of the alloys from 3 different shops, my FNG mechanic figured out it is one of the bent alloy. Really hard to tell with our naked eyes.
Old 24th May 2019, 00:03   #3333
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone installed Philips LED or any other LED bulb in their non-highline Jetta ?
Old 24th May 2019, 00:15   #3334
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
one of your alloy might be bent again! I had the same setup in my Civic (225/45 R17) and after 3 balancing of the alloys from 3 different shops, my FNG mechanic figured out it is one of the bent alloy. Really hard to tell with our naked eyes.

That will be really frustating because these are new MoMo Revenge alloys that I got. They are still in 1 yr warranty though...I'll get it checked with friendly help offered by Nikhil
Old 25th May 2019, 12:44   #3335
BHPian

I gave my car for repair at the authorized service center for a central locking issue. The SC said that the rear door latch needs replacement and it costs Rs.9000 and I need to wait for 2-3 weeks for the part to arrive.Does anyone know if I can buy it online? I feel 9k is too expensive for a door latch.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 17:12   #3336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I gave my car for repair at the authorized service center for a central locking issue. The SC said that the rear door latch needs replacement and it costs Rs.9000 and I need to wait for 2-3 weeks for the part to arrive.Does anyone know if I can buy it online? I feel 9k is too expensive for a door latch.
I see this part available in Aliexpress. But not sure if its the right fit for your Jetta. You can check more.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-Pi...72463c00ja0dbF
Old 28th May 2019, 07:56   #3337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I have the same issue and the VW service centre quoted 6.7K for the latch.
Old 29th May 2019, 19:18   #3338
Distinguished - BHPian

After 4.5 years of almost hassle free ownership, my Jetta has sprung up two major issues. I had sent the car to the workshop for a minor checkup as there had been a slight drop in oil levels (S.A said its the heat here 42+ degrees which is responsible for a bit of oil consumption). I had also complained of humming noise from the rear along with a bit of knocking at 1500 rpm.

Here's what the diagnosis said:

- Both rear wheel bearings shot: The S.A says the rims (all 4 of them) were bent for quite some time and that was causing the humming noise. But the bent rims also damaged the wheel bearings due to the wobble they produced.

- Gearbox mount shot: The gearbox mount was also said to be shot which was the reason for the excessive knocking noise along with a grinding sound when lifting off in 2nd gear sometimes. Have been quoted Rs.13K for it.

Total repair cost for both the jobs is coming to around 27-28K+. Both parts will have to be ordered with a half payment in advance too.

For now, just got the car back, with the oil top up, wiper blade change and the rear bump stops (the rubber bush sitting on the dampers) changed. Total bill for now came to around 5.8K which is fair enough. The rear brake pads have 5k km left at most.

My questions:

- Can bent rims cause a wheel bearing to go kaput? Its the first time I have heard something like this.

- Can the rims be repaired? The S.A claims its only a very slight bend and not noticeable to the naked eye either.

- Is it worth keeping the car for longer? I think my dad is going to worry a bit since neither him nor me expected this expense. Post repairs, the next thing I will need to worry about should only be the timing kit change (@1.05L Km) and front brake pads (Have a bit of life left and not really a major expense). Is there anything else to be worried about technically from a reliability perspective? I have got the water pump changed at 55K km once already.

Bhpian's advice will be much valued.

Last edited by vishy76 : 29th May 2019 at 19:20.
Old 29th May 2019, 23:27   #3339
BHPian

Do you have pictures of the damaged gearbox mounting ?
Old 30th May 2019, 00:15   #3340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
Do you have pictures of the damaged gearbox mounting ?
Nope. Not yet. Haven't ordered the part yet, but I am quite sure that the mounting is shot. There is a slight thud heard on the outside the car while engaging gears sometimes and the clatter when revved. The mounting is a hydraulic one and connects the transmission to the subframe.
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:34   #3341
BHPian

So today as soon as I cranked up the engine and moved a few meters ahead, it started making an alarm sound with a blinking coolant light on the MFD. I immediately switched the engine off and checked the coolant level. I could see a little in the coolant tank. I started it back again and parked the car. (The total distance must've been 5m forward and 5m reverse) However, this time around it didn't make that sound. Could this be the water pump giving up? It was already changed once. The car is a 2011 model with 79k kms. What could be the symptoms of a water pump failure? Or could it be something else?
Old 2nd June 2019, 16:12   #3342
BHPian

I switched on the engine for a couple of mins and idled. The error came up again. I changed it once at 59k kms. I know water pump is a common issue in Jetta. They charged me 11k including coolant, coolant box, water pump etc. They charged 6161 for the water pump part alone. Is this high? Also, can anyone attach a bill for water pump and the timing kit? Since mine is a 2011 model, though it has done only about 79k kms, I'm considering getting that done as well.
Old 2nd June 2019, 16:43   #3343
BHPian

While I don't have a Jetta - I have seen exact same thing with my Yeti.. that was the pump giving up. This was around 76K Kms for me. So from what you describe this looks like the coolant pump going kaput!
Old 2nd June 2019, 21:07   #3344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
I switched on the engine for a couple of mins and idled. The error came up again. I changed it once at 59k kms. I know water pump is a common issue in Jetta. They charged me 11k including coolant, coolant box, water pump etc. They charged 6161 for the water pump part alone. Is this high? Also, can anyone attach a bill for water pump and the timing kit? Since mine is a 2011 model, though it has done only about 79k kms, I'm considering getting that done as well.

I paid 3.5k for the water pump of my Jetta. I got mine replaced 3 months ago and my car had run only 35k in about 6.5 years. Do not know about timing belt charges. The water pump replacement was not done at the authorized service center.

Last edited by shivasuma : 2nd June 2019 at 21:08.
Old 3rd June 2019, 01:28   #3345
BHPian

I've found a source for OEM parts. But I want to get it done at authorized service center if the difference is only about 25%.

Most Viewed