Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 14:06   #136
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Excellent review Anshuman & GTO; Loved reading it. Infact my wife (not an auto enthusiasts) actually devoured each and every word of the review (with help from yours truly, explaining some technical stuff). The reason I mentioned my wife is because she wants a new car and were are in the middle of shortlisting a few. She TD the i-10, Polo before the Brio was announced.

We are patiently waiting for the launch (27th Sep - as confirmed by Honda Dealer) before TDing it. But if I can read between the lines (never easy to read a womans mind) she has made up her mind to book the Brio. One of her arguements put forth by her was, "If you can drive a Honda, you think I'll settle for anything lower?

Moral of the story - If an average joe thinks Honda has a snob value, no amount of competitor arguements is going to change the mindset (as long as price points are nearly same). To each is own.
Old 9th September 2011, 14:16   #137
Senior - BHPian

If at all they had to put in a rear wiper, where would they have fitted the wiper motor assembly? Is there any parcel shelf which would help hiding the contents of the boot from the prying eyes? The only sore part which I think is the garish looking chrome ornament on the front grill. It would have looked much better without all that chrome!
Old 9th September 2011, 15:17   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Wow, looks like a lot of i10 owners have taken offence on the comparisons

Chill people, the TBHP reviews are as unbiased as we get. And from the reviews its pretty clear than Brio is a strong competitor to i10 & Swift as a Fun To Drive car. Thats what really matters to us TBHPians.

However, here few things before we declare any car a winner.

a. We need to see how the pricing is going to be
b. A car being loved on TBHP does not mean an automatic success. (If that is the cases Cedia would have been sold in 1000s and Fiesta would have been the C segment topper.)

Well put. And ya, am not offended; it's just sad to see informed folks passing judgment even before an official launch. I always maintain that without a first hand experience, we cannot comment on the product.

Also, Anshuman and GTO; great review as always! Top notch
Old 9th September 2011, 15:39   #139
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the mass market Honda! I'm sure that Nissan Micra be better worried now. I dont think the Swift will be affected as it has its own following. But the micra , ritz petrol and also the i10 be better worried! Figo more or less survives on frugal diesel plant, so it shouldnt be bothered so much either.
But impressive, way better than the Liva in terms of over all quality and aesthetics.
For the first time, I can actually think of buying a Honda in India in the future {again it wouldnt be for me, but for my wife :-) }
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 16:23   #140
BHPian

Thanks Anshuman and GTO for the review.

Brio looks like a wholesome package with minor hiccups here and there, e.g., the rear hatch. I believe quirky hatch designs are popular internationally and considered the in thing, but in India people still prefer a conservate, neat design. Hence, the A-Star or Ritz rears draw polarizing viewpoints. I believe this design philosophy will gain acceptance gradually as new generations bring new tastes in line with the international scene.

I am not sure if Brio will be a volume king like an I10 or a Wagon R. The common man thinks that a Honda car is costly to own and this perception might constrain potential footfalls. If Brio clocks huge volumes, then it remains to be seen how the Honda dealers and service centers cope up. Besides, the dealers should eschew their predilection for snobbery and be prepared to serve the mass market, A/B segment buyers.
Old 9th September 2011, 16:35   #141
BHPian

Thanks for the great review guys.

Well Well Well..Honda enters the mass market. I am sure they are not targetting any specific product, They can surely sell it on their own. But whats with that back. Seems most manufacturers loose interest while designing by the time they reach the rear (DZire and Ritz in question). Brio joins the wagon. I was reminded of Citroen C1 with that black rear. Sorry Honda, to each his own, but I didn't like it. Then the front grill seems too imposing. Again To each his own, but isn't it like the teeth of Bugs Bunny to Jerry the mouse!

Sorry, my comments don't mean to offend anybody, they are all personal views which are completely subjective.

Happy Journey Honda!!!
Old 9th September 2011, 17:26   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Are you deliberately keeping the Figo out of the discussion?

With 284 liters and a well spread out loading area, you certainly can stuff most of the weekend luggage. If that's not all then you have the official roof rails and carrier to stow away some more luggage.

And the highway dynamics with 5 people and full load(with so many putting down their experiences on the forum), the figo is a comfortable highway machine as well.
I'm sorry! Yes, the Figo is a fantastic all-round vehicle too. It may have some niggles, but all cars do, don't they? I've heard from several people who own Figos that they're quite disappointed with it. However, the same can't be said by some of the reviews on Team BHP.

The Figo is nothing but a watered-down Fusion, I believe. And the Fusion was a fantastic car, and it still is. I think it is the best hatch ever sold in India. It's a pity that it bombed badly here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I don't think i10 has auto folding mirrors or auto-climate control.
Also, in terms of the power/performance, new kappa should match up to Brio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejus.s View Post
Hi suhaas307, no offense mate, but I guess you need to revisit your post. The i10 has a strong engine and gearbox combination. I've not driven the Brio, but having driven the Hyundai (Kappa) for over 2 years now, I can vouch for it. It's fantastic, responsive and refined. Also, the quality of plastics, fabric used in the i10 are definitely top notch. I would rate them above the Swift/Ritz.

As far as after-sales is concerned, Hyundai has never let me down even once. Also, i10 does not come with auto-climate control even on the top-end. Please get your facts right.

In a nutshell, what I'd like to say is, let's wait for the Brio to be launched this month. It might sound premature trying to compare with other cars based on reviews. Recalls from Honda recently definitely do not help either.

Just my two cents
None taken!

The engine and gearbox in the i10 is good, no doubt about it. It is quite refined and reliable. Plus, the Kappa does pack a punch. But it isn't as fun to drive as the more powerful and more balanced Brio. Although I haven't driven it, I'm sure I can believe reviews on Team BHP and other reliable sources like auto-magazines.

I'm familiar with the 1.2 engine in the Brio. It's the same engine that's in the Jazz. But what I'm not familiar with is the new 'improved' and reworked gear-ratios. Apparently, it has been tuned for city-driving which means better bottom-end grunt. However, according to the Team-BHP reviews, this car still likes to be revved to get the maximum, as in case with every Honda.

The i10 has the edge here. It would be the nippier city-car. The bottom-end power in the i10 is as good as it gets, giving it quick legs off the block. Something that the Brio doesn't have, unfortunately. Overall though, IMO, the Honda iVtec engine trumps the Hyundai Kappa engine. The 1.2 found in the Jazz and now in the Brio, is said to be one of the most refined and frugal units out there. Only Maruti's K-Series engines come very close, IMO.

I was under the impression that the i10 came with auto-climate-control. I remember it being shown in that ShahrukKhan advertisement. But I don't remember it clearly. I do remember that the sunroof is optional, or is it standard on the top-end? I'm not sure.

Hyundai has let me down every single time. I get a huge bill after a service and apart from clean and polished bumpers and a polished interior, I don't really see the difference. In fact, my Santro was given for service a few months back, and it has been very problematic, ever since I took delivery after service. Some thing or the other always comes up.

We have two Hondas at home. A Civic and a Jazz. Both have been trouble free and running like charms. Even the service bill isn't as exorbitant as Advaith Hyundai's.

The recalls are for the '09 models of the City and the Jazz. There seems to be a minor glitch in the power-window units. It isn't a major thing at all.

In a nut-shell, apart from the ride, I don't find anything wrong with the Brio. The ride is a bit stiff, apparently. Also, the lack of some essential features like rear-windscreen-wash/wipe is a shocker. My guess is that the later Brios will be equipped with the same, shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Exactly my point, what makes it an all-round vehicle. If space is the only concern, then every body will be buying Vista. Its more about the quality,reliability and durability and above all the comfort ride.

I expect that Brio will definitely live up to the hype it has garnered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pravingmh View Post
How well does the deep boot play with foldable seats, in terms of trying to accomodate larger flat packages?
I'm going to be honest with you here. It isn't as versatile as some of the other hatchbacks around, but it can still accommodate quite a lot of luggage with the seats folded. The deep boot allows one to neatly pack in a tote bag or similar luggage in the boot area, and with the seat folded, one can accommodate larger items on top of the boot area.

The availability of a parcel tray is essential. I'm not sure which level the parcel tray might be fitted, but if it can be moved downwards, it would be a good thing as it would be the same level as the folded seats, enabling you to stow away your backpack in the deep boot while allowing you to pack in crates, or whatever else needs to be placed in the back.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th September 2011 at 17:32.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 17:30   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
BTW, I thought about it and slept on it, but there is still no decisive answer to which car is better from the i10 / Swift / Brio petrols. All three are the segment best, and none of the other petrol hatchbacks match this trio in terms of an all-rounded package. The i10 is unbelievably competent, even though it's the oldest and has the least power output & bumpiest ride. Sheer quality, very practical, great refinement and a good spread of variants & equipment.

I'd say if you are looking at practicality, pick the i10 over the Brio. Reasons : Higher stance, easier ingress / egress, better visibility, more equipment etc. But if you love to drive, you know the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I'm really glad to note that the I10 STILL finds a slot in your classic trinity of petrol hatchbacks.

GTO basically sums up my love for the I10. His analysis of the I10 could possibly explain why so many customers are attracted to the I10, since its inception in 2007.
Doesn't the Swift, now with the improved ride quality (as even the new ownership reports suggest) have an easy edge over the i10 and the Brio? Quality interiors, as much space as the i10 and Brio, great engine. Poor ride of the Brio seems to be a deal-breaker to me, with the less than perfect state of most of our roads. I'm really happy Maruti has addressed the Swift's ride with the new version.

I would pick the Swift over the other two just for a better ride, as on all other parameters all three are neck to neck. Or do should we consider the Swift to be in a higher segment, price wise?

I need an answer for a friend looking for a petrol hatch.
Old 9th September 2011, 17:51   #144
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful report Anshuman and GTO.
Brio will be successful for its quality stuff and Honda's no-nonsense ownership experience.
This time Honda is entering into a crowded segment and should price the product correctly. Personally I do not like the rear hatch design.
Old 9th September 2011, 18:09   #145
Senior - BHPian

Excellent and well written review. A well deserved 5 star for your review! The car looks small in pics, something on the lines of Nano. Glad that the Brio didn't go the Liva way with cost cutting. One test drive in Etios made me feel that my Dzire belonged to entry level D segment. Well done Honda!
Old 9th September 2011, 18:59   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

None taken!

Although I haven't driven it, I'm sure I can believe reviews on Team BHP and other reliable sources like auto-magazines.
Looks like our school of thought is different Suhas. I always believe in first hand experience of an automobile.

That said, I have little doubt in Honda churning out excellent small capacity engines. Anyway, we all have a right to our opinion
Old 9th September 2011, 19:33   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejus.s View Post
Looks like our school of thought is different Suhas. I always believe in first hand experience of an automobile.

That said, I have little doubt in Honda churning out excellent small capacity engines. Anyway, we all have a right to our opinion
I do believe in your school of thought as well.

But we as enthusiasts should have an inkling of what we're up with. Auto-mags and Team BHP are great tools with which one can understand the car inside out, without the need to actually drive it.

However, there is nothing better than first-hand experience.

I have driven the old i10, not the new, face-lifted one. I didn't enjoy it much. And I drive a Santro extensively in Bangalore, I wasn't too happy with the i10. Not that I am much happy with my Santro either!

Sorry for OT.
Old 9th September 2011, 19:35   #148
BHPian

How is under thigh seat support in Brio (especially rear seats)? On long trips this is really important for good comfort.

I am disappointed with the boot size. One has to lift luggage and stack suitcases in vertical for most efficient storage. Not good ... especially for females and elders. Figo has good boot but the petrol engine is really lethargic in comparison. I own Santro for more than a decade and its boot is really good for car of its price and size. It easily accepts full size suitcase in horizontal position which is really commendable. I do not understand how come new cars so bad when it comes to boot storage. It is same story with new Swift as well.

Last edited by ms_rana : 9th September 2011 at 19:37.
Old 9th September 2011, 19:49   #149
BHPian

As pointed out, few features will be badly missed, such as rear wash and wipe and defogger, it would be a pain in cities with higher rainfall and during winters in north India. I wonder how is performance of the Air con. Also, the absence of a dead pedal is also bad but the worse is 'no CVT to be launched in India' . Why Honda ? WHY ? Its not like you have not developed a auto transmission for this car, there is a CVT version launched in Thailand, why not for India ? Are we Indians not entitled to the comfort of a auto in a small hatchback with a short turning radius ? It would be such a boon for our increasingly congested cities. As mentioned, the design of the key is no different, well, Honda, in this time and age you could have given a 'Start' button like the way they have given it in Micra with a key-less entry, it would be totally in sync with current technology trends and with the future. Also, Bluetooth connectivity could have been offered as an option in the top variants.
Old 9th September 2011, 21:12   #150
Senior - BHPian

5* review :-) Seems like a pretty capable city hatch from Honda and w/o cutting costs in a 'ugly' manner!

Like someone else posted, would be good if future reviews also take a picture of the rear seat with a person sitting in the rear. One front seat pushed all the way to the front, and the other as far back as allowed! This helps online viewers get a feel for the range of space ;-)

Honda should offer additionally:
* rear wheel well cladding - should be possible to fit by dealer
* rear defogger (that would mean rear hatch glass change, assuming they have the wiring in place)
* rear wiper

Regarding the up & down ride at rear, I am a bit puzzled. On the one hand, rear suspension is 'stiff', on the other hand it doesn't damp quickly and also travels a long way ?

I guess the ride will improve on Michelin XM1+ or PLC!

Most Viewed