Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2019, 12:50   #1636
BANNED

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Honda to end its entry level hatchback- Brio . No plans of bringing in its replacement.
Honda has moved on. Amaze is essentially a Brio with a boot. A nice car at that. My d-i-l has one.
Old 10th September 2019, 12:58   #1637
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Honda has moved on. Amaze is essentially a Brio with a boot. A nice car at that. My d-i-l has one.
The new Amaze isn't a Brio with a boot though. Its pretty much a new car ground up. The "Brio" version for it didn't really come to our roads per se.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 14:46   #1638
BHPian

The new amaze is still a Brio platform, with new outer skin and dashboard and slightly more wheelbase. Look under the car and you will know.

Nothing wrong with that, just saying.
Old 10th September 2019, 16:23   #1639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
The new amaze is still a Brio platform, with new outer skin and dashboard and slightly more wheelbase. Look under the car and you will know.
No actually - you can easily see that its a different platform. All dimensions - Length, wheelbase, width & ground-clearance have increased. Thats the first clue.
Some parts under the hood can be shared of course across multiple generations. But that doesn't directly translate to its still the same previous generation under new body panels.

Here is an extract from the TBHP official review for the current AMAZE -
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
• The Amaze is based on a new (low cost??) platform that has been developed for the emerging markets. It will soon be used in future cars from the Thailand R&D center, including a crossover.
Link - TBHP Official Review - Honda Amaze (Honda Amaze : Official Review)
Old 26th November 2019, 10:17   #1640
BHPian

I have a query. My Brio has finally started acting up post almost 5 years of no issues ownership. The engine checklight came on...

To put into perspective in 46 months the car has done 8954 kms. Not much at all. It is used to drop the kids to school and pick them up. About than a km (including to and fro). I sent the car to the service center. The ran the scan and came back with no faults. No rats no sensor issue. Hence they suggested to change the ECM. Given that this costs 14k I was skeptical. I did not go ahead and took the car back. Continued to run the car as usual and sure enough by the next week the engine check light disappeared. However it came on the very next day to go away again. Currently no issue.

I am curious is there anyway to figure this out and solve the issue without changing the ECM. Given that the car works flawlessly is there a need to go to the workshop if the engine check light reappears.

Thanks.
Old 26th November 2019, 10:37   #1641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arakhanna View Post
I am curious is there anyway to figure this out and solve the issue without changing the ECM. Given that the car works flawlessly is there a need to go to the workshop if the engine check light reappears.
Weird that the HASC guys didn't find any error code in scan when the car had thrown a check engine warning.

You can get a compatible Bluetooth OBD scanner for the car and check for error codes yourself using mobile apps now. That might help.

Such ON-OFF warnings generally tend to be with EGR valves in turbo diesel engine cars and ignition related in petrol cars (yours). It may well be something as simple as a spark plug that needs some cleaning. I suggest try an OBD scanner before going for an ECM swap.

I'm still smiling at an ASC asking to change ECM while also claiming that they didn't find any error codes. Trial and error using customer's money. Cool!
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 23:20   #1642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...My Brio has finally started acting up post almost 5 years of ....the engine check light reappears..
Since, it is over five years check your battery. If it is weak voltage sense circuit will be activated with check engine light. Happened with mine.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 00:23   #1643
BHPian

This seems like a deja vu . I had my Brio ECU replaced last month. Running was as low as yours and used for similar purpose.

Now the Check engine light does not come for no reason. When there is a reason it would normally log the error code. I have a scanner with me and the error code was P0606 ECM PCM processor error. Error code description can be google searched.

Since my car was under extended warranty i got it changed with Solitaire. I did not tell them that i had already scanned the car and knew the error but insisted that they fix the problem and when the said ECU issue i insisted that they replace it under warranty.

By any chance your vehicle has been even minutely flooded this season in Mumbai. Not saying drowned but even like lower seat touched water. I had this happen to my CITY this monsoon. What luck 2 Honda ECUS replaced within 6 months. CITY had an Airbag ECU short and since the car is almost decade old now i got it fixed from outside.

Water and moisture can do weird things to Car Electrical systems.
However to start with since your car is also out of warranty try using an alternate battery and also clean your spark plugs and see if there are any loose contacts. In my case the Check engine light was On all the time after it came till the part replacement.

Quote:
I have a query. My Brio has finally started acting up post almost 5 years of no issues ownership. The engine checklight came on...

To put into perspective in 46 months the car has done 8954 kms. Not much at all. It is used to drop the kids to school and pick them up. About than a km (including to and fro). I sent the car to the service center. The ran the scan and came back with no faults. No rats no sensor issue. Hence they suggested to change the ECM. Given that this costs 14k I was skeptical. I did not go ahead and took the car back. Continued to run the car as usual and sure enough by the next week the engine check light disappeared. However it came on the very next day to go away again. Currently no issue.

Thanks.
Old 1st December 2019, 21:47   #1644
BHPian

I don't think I have come of such an instance in this thread. I currently have a 2014 Brio AT at home which was our primary car till 2017 after which it's been mostly used for running errands till date.

Sometime last year, I was alone in the car while mom had gone to buy groceries, and just wanted to check what goes on behind the A/C panel.This space can be accessed by crouching under the dashboard through the passenger footwell.This is when I noticed something shocking.There was rust formation in the metal structure used.Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-img_20180212_160207158.jpg
The car was already scheduled for a service next month so had asked ASS to check and let me know the reason.They informed that all brio,amaze models have this and it's nothing to worry about but I think they just passed it off without looking at the issue.Can other brio owners confirm this?I forgot about this issue and today I was suddenly reminded about it.Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 23:53   #1645
BHPian

My Brio is now 5 years old and done only 45k km but is one of the best cars i have own. Its a black beauty. Still looks new and i am surprised and happy that no creaks or niggles inside cabin thus far. The highway runs are still smooth and overtaking is easy and in city its just a breeze to roam and park around. My wife loves it and i have no plans to sell it.

A few pics after one of the servicing done last year.

Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-96466d9a7646451b91e255ebbfadd66f.jpeg

Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-5633158e75cc4cfea0024cab66138fc0.jpeg

Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-048394cd76f1487ebd33ef1fc5b8c936.jpeg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th December 2019 at 01:48. Reason: Fixed attachment tag.
Teqhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 11:48   #1646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teqhead View Post
My Brio is now 5 years old and done only 45k km but is one of the best cars i have own.
The black colour on your car looks good. Keep it that way with a 6 monthly polishing job - it'll keep your car looking pristine.

My Brio is seven years old and counting, and has done only 33000 kms. It is only used as a second for in city commutes and short runs for every day tasks, and therefore the low mileage.

It is a very well built vehicle, with hard wearing parts - one of those Honda cars with relatively good build quality. I am in fact quite surprised at the aplomb with which the tough little car handles and navigates the bad roads in Bangalore. Has served us faithfully for a long time, and there is actually no real replacement that I can think of - neither any reason to replace it. It is a pleasure to drive and punt around in traffic, given the great all round visibility, fantastic power to weight ratio and superlative manoeuvrability. A perfect city car.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 16th December 2019 at 11:51.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 21:22   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post

It is a very well built vehicle, with hard wearing parts - one of those Honda cars with relatively good build quality. I am in fact quite surprised at the aplomb with which the tough little car handles and navigates the bad roads in Bangalore. Has served us faithfully for a long time, and there is actually no real replacement that I can think of - neither any reason to replace it. It is a pleasure to drive and punt around in traffic, given the great all round visibility, fantastic power to weight ratio and superlative manoeuvrability. A perfect city car.
I forgot to mention that i upgraded the tyres to Michelin Energy XM2, they are slightly larger than the stock tyre. They provide a good stance to the car and i definitely think the car handles much better and average FE increased from 13.8+ to 14.5+. I don't know its due to the tyres or its just me. And yes, polishing the car is on my mind too.

Last edited by Teqhead : 17th December 2019 at 21:27. Reason: Adding info
Teqhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 10:44   #1648
BHPian

Weird Gearbox Issue

Hello Guys!

I have been having some serious gearbox issues with my Honda Brio. The thing is, the gearbox in my brio over the years has become clunky and extremely rubbery. So much so, that I have to use extra effort to slot into the second gear.

But here is the real issue, and bear with me because this may sound extremely stupid. The ruberry nature of my gearbox depends on the cabin temperature.
Yes, It sounds that stupid. I have this issue more in the winters when the cabin of the car is cold, but if i park it under the sun and set off in a while the gearbox becomes smooth, even it does not stick as much in the second gear.

With the tempratures dropping now. the issue is now worse than ever. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?? Am i missing something???
tanuj_afc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 11:39   #1649
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Weird Gearbox Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanuj_afc View Post
But here is the real issue, and bear with me because this may sound extremely stupid. The ruberry nature of my gearbox depends on the cabin temperature.
Yes, It sounds that stupid. I have this issue more in the winters when the cabin of the car is cold, but if i park it under the sun and set off in a while the gearbox becomes smooth, even it does not stick as much in the second gear.
With the tempratures dropping now. the issue is now worse than ever. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?? Am i missing something???
Can you open the boot cover around the gear shift stick from its base in the center console? I suspect the lubricant / white grease used in the shifter slots and cables that actuate the shift has either wiped out or has dried up/disintegrated. Its working better in hot temperature probably because of the residuals that melt in higher temperature a bit. Spray a bit of WD40 on it & check for a day. If it makes a difference - then visit the HASC & get it properly lubricated with grease. They can also inspect the slotting mechanism for wear and replace the plastic shift slots & cables if required. The wires had rusted a bit in my Vista and I had a similar issue.

If not this - the gearbox itself might be running low on lubrication.

Last edited by Reinhard : 18th December 2019 at 11:45.
Old 18th December 2019, 11:45   #1650
BHPian

Re: Weird Gearbox Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Can you open the boot cover around the gear shift stick from its base in the center console? I suspect the lubricant / white grease used in the shifter slots and cables that actuate the shift has either wiped out or has dried up/disintegrated. Its working better in hot temperature probably because of the residuals that melt in higher temperature a bit. Spray a bit of WD40 on it & check for a day. If it helps - visit the HASC & get it properly lubricated with grease. They can also inspect the slotting mechanism for wear and replace the plastic shift slots & cables if required. The wires had rusted a bit in my Vista and I had a similar issue.

If not this - the gearbox itself might be running low on lubrication.
How much did it cost you in your vista? How much time did it for them to resolve it? I visited a local mechanic with this problem and he told they he might have to take down the entire gearbox to see the problem, which made me slightly uncomfortable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks