Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2019, 11:48   #1651
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Weird Gearbox Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanuj_afc View Post
How much did it cost you in your vista? How much time did it for them to resolve it? I visited a local mechanic with this problem and he told they he might have to take down the entire gearbox to see the problem, which made me slightly uncomfortable.
I got the greasing done for free during an annual service. Its not a big deal at all. Mechanics don't think twice before prescribing an open heart surgery. But some basic yoga might have the solution too sometimes.

My suggestion can give a cheaper resolution IF the problem is what I suspect it is. If it doesn't help - then indeed like I mentioned later in the post - the gearbox lubrication may have to be checked & fixed.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 11:55   #1652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I got the greasing done for free during an annual service. Its not a big deal at all. Mechanics don't think twice before prescribing an open heart surgery. But some basic yoga might have the solution too sometimes.
That's true, I always stay at the service center when i get the service done. I just don't trust the guys at the workshop.

Quote:
My suggestion can give a cheaper resolution IF the problem is what I suspect it is. If it doesn't help - then indeed like I mentioned later in the post - the gearbox lubrication may have to be checked & fixed.
I guess i'll take it to a local mechanic to get it checked up. If it's easily resolved then it's sorted but if it takes a bit of effort,I'll take it to HASC.
Thanks for your input.
tanuj_afc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 12:42   #1653
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Hello Guys!

I have been having some serious gearbox issues with my Honda Brio. The thing is, the gearbox in my brio over the years has become clunky and extremely rubbery. So much so, that I have to use extra effort to slot into the second gear.

But here is the real issue, and bear with me because this may sound extremely stupid. The ruberry nature of my gearbox depends on the cabin temperature.
Yes, It sounds that stupid. I have this issue more in the winters when the cabin of the car is cold, but if i park it under the sun and set off in a while the gearbox becomes smooth, even it does not stick as much in the second gear.

With the tempratures dropping now. the issue is now worse than ever. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?? Am i missing something???
Honda Manual gearbox issue - quite rare indeed.
How old is this Car?
Did you bang the underside especially around the bottom of the gearbox, anywhere at any time? I know it happened to me a long time ago in my Maruti 800 MPFI when I hit a BIG stone which was lying on the highway - basically couldn’t swerve in time to avoid it and hit it at about 60kmph. Had I swerved, I think the danger and damage to the car and myself would have been far greater. This “bang” resulted in immediate inability to slot the gears properly and I had to give the car to the workshop to have the problem rectified. That was a big problem. It involved swapping out and replacing the gearbox completely.

The first thing is to check whether the transmission oil levels are ok or not or whether they need to be changed as a part of the activity during a specific service schedule.
Then getting into other diagnostics.
And frankly, it is not worth going to anyone for this kind of thing, other than an Authorised Honda Service Centre.
Old 18th December 2019, 12:58   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Honda Manual gearbox issue - quite rare indeed.
How old is this Car?
Did you bang the underside especially around the bottom of the gearbox, anywhere at any time?
The Car is a 2011 model and i don't remember banging the underbelly of my car. But again warmer cabin tempratures does resolve the issue temporarily

Quote:
I know it happened to me a long time ago in my Maruti 800 MPFI when I hit a BIG stone which was lying on the highway - basically couldn’t swerve in time to avoid it and hit it at about 60kmph. Had I swerved, I think the danger and damage to the car and myself would have been far greater. This “bang” resulted in immediate inability to slot the gears properly and I had to give the car to the workshop to have the problem rectified. That was a big problem. It involved swapping out and replacing the gearbox completely.
Man that's scary. I wouldn't wanna change the entire gearbox, my car has not even done 35000 kms

Quote:
The first thing is to check whether the transmission oil levels are ok or not or whether they need to be changed as a part of the activity during a specific service schedule.
Then getting into other diagnostics.
And frankly, it is not worth going to anyone for this kind of thing, other than an Authorised Honda Service Centre.
I guess I have a couple of days off on Christmas, might as well take it to HASC to get it checked. My only cause for concern is that HASC tend to be nutoriously expensive
Old 18th December 2019, 14:54   #1655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- the gearbox itself might be running low on lubrication.
Could it be related to transmission fluid (of incorrect grade) filled? Ambient temperature increase (which will result in-cabin temperature increasing as stated) has resulted in (relatively) free gear movement.

When was the gear oil changed last?
Old 18th December 2019, 15:38   #1656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Could it be related to transmission fluid (of incorrect grade) filled? Ambient temperature increase (which will result in-cabin temperature increasing as stated) has resulted in (relatively) free gear movement.

When was the gear oil changed last?
Hi, The last gear oil was changed some time ago, but the problem was still there. Got the clutch plate changed too, it helped a little, but not satisfactory
Old 8th May 2020, 15:29   #1657
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
I don't think I have come of such an instance in this thread. I currently have a 2014 Brio AT at home which was our primary car till 2017 after which it's been mostly used for running errands till date.

The car was already scheduled for a service next month so had asked ASS to check and let me know the reason.They informed that all brio,amaze models have this and it's nothing to worry about but I think they just passed it off without looking at the issue.Can other brio owners confirm this?I forgot about this issue and today I was suddenly reminded about it.Thanks
I understand you might have already found an answer elsewhere since this post was way back in December.

Surface rust on the instrument panel support member is common and normal as it doesn't undergo any surface treatment. This also goes for various other metal brackets used in the interior of the car, where the environment is less harsh than it is outside. You will find the same in many cars and not just in the Brio family or in Hondas.

Based on the same logic, you'll find that brackets in the engine room and under the body are either painted or anodised/electroplated to prevent rust due to higher moisture content (rains etc) and higher temperatures.
saur95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 10:29   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, The last gear oil was changed some time ago, but the problem was still there. Got the clutch plate changed too, it helped a little, but not satisfactory
I am facing a similar issue now in my 2014 Brio VX MT. Did you manage to resolve the problem? If so, what was the issue.
Old 18th September 2020, 10:41   #1659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.vps View Post
I am facing a similar issue now in my 2014 Brio VX MT. Did you manage to resolve the problem? If so, what was the issue.
The Brio gearbox, especially the shift to second gear, has always been slightly on the stiffer side. In our Brio, this issue has been there from the time the car was new. Havent really bothered much about it and have got used to it by now. Definitely gets better as the engine reaches operating temperatures after a few kilometers. But it is a known bugbear on the Brio, as far as I am aware. What the final resolution that you implemented?
Old 20th September 2020, 12:00   #1660
BHPian

I am facing this only in the past two months, specifically engaging a gear seems the issue, once engaged everything is smooth. Assuming it maybe a lubrication issue. Will update once I take it to my mech.
Old 23rd September 2020, 14:16   #1661
BHPian

No, I have learned to live with it. the problem is still there

Last edited by tanuj_afc : 23rd September 2020 at 14:18.
tanuj_afc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 23:20   #1662
Senior - BHPian

Trying a DIY of rear shocker replacement on my Brio. Can someone tell me how the top nut of the shocker on the body frame is accessed? Removing the plastic trim panels in the boot looks like a lot of work for a simple job.

Tia,
-BJ
Old 15th March 2021, 20:27   #1663
BHPian

Quote:
If it doesn't help - then indeed like I mentioned later in the post - the gearbox lubrication may have to be checked & fixed.
Did this in my last service and my gears are much smoother. I also had a front suspension overhaul done with my FNG and that has helped improve NVH levels at highway speeds too.

Quote:
Mechanics don't think twice before prescribing an open heart surgery. But some basic yoga might have the solution too sometimes.
Cannot agree with this more, my ASS keeps recommending 10K interval service every 2K I had also been stupid enough to not notice it last time and got a bill exceeding 10K INR within 2K completion, so handle with care!
prasanna.vps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 11:50   #1664
BHPian

Hi All

I am looking to purchase a used Honda Brio automatic for my dad. I took a look at the pictures the seller shared and can see some sort of leak on the right hand from below near the engine oil filter.

Can members here tell me what could be the possible cause for this. I will take a test drive later today so I thought I would ask here to get any pointers on what to check.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-hondabrioleak.jpg  

Old 11th April 2021, 22:05   #1665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.vps View Post
I am facing this only in the past two months, specifically engaging a gear seems the issue, once engaged everything is smooth. Assuming it maybe a lubrication issue. Will update once I take it to my mech.
Had a similar problem in my 2012 Brio. The gear shift had become quite notchy and hard. Got the shifter lubricated at the service station and it has become much better now.
aKrain is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks