Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2021, 13:51   #1666
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

This is regarding the airbags getting deployed in the Brio V 2013 of my sister. The vehicle was at parking speed inside the bylane in front of the house and a motorcycle hit it from the front on the right side of the bumper. Only damage done to the car was the dislodgment of the fog light from the housing in the bumper. Now, even with this small ding both airbags got deployed resulting in some injury to the face.

Now, my issue is that - are the sensors set with such low threshold that a hard hit on the bumper will get airbags deployed that too at parking speed? Or is this a case of those faulty Takata airbags? Though this vehicle does not reflect in the link in the Honda website for airbag recall, I believe it could be a case of the faulty airbags. And to top it all, HASS estimate (telephonically) for the repairs is appx 60k.

Take a look at the below pics. There is minimal damage to the vehicle. I'm now thinking of escalating this to Honda. Its downright risky if airbags start deploying with such little impact. Looking forward to your inputs as well.

Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-img_20210721_133112.jpg

Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-img20210721wa0016.jpg

Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-img20210721wa0010.jpg

Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-img20210721wa0015.jpg

Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-img20210721wa0013.jpg

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 21st July 2021 at 14:09.
Old 25th July 2021, 09:20   #1667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
This is regarding the airbags getting deployed in the Brio V 2013 of my sister. The vehicle was at parking speed inside the bylane in front of the house and a motorcycle hit it from the front on the right side of the bumper. .

A0013.jpg]2181899[/ATTACH]
Very strange.

The Takata recalls were for pre-2003 models though. So this case is more likely to be one of those random cases where the motorcycle managed to hit the sensor spot on somehow.

Details on the recall,

https://www.nhtsa.gov/more-takata-air-bags-recalled

Even at parking speeds, the momentum of a 150 kg motorcycle plus rider can be substantial. Does insurance cover this damage?

Last edited by anilp : 25th July 2021 at 09:21. Reason: added recall details link
Old 25th July 2021, 10:49   #1668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Very strange.

The Takata recalls were for pre-2003 models though. So this case is more likely to be one of those random cases where the motorcycle managed to hit the sensor spot on somehow.

Details on the recall,

https://www.nhtsa.gov/more-takata-air-bags-recalled
What you are referring to is the global recall. But here in India recall was for as recent vehicles as 2014 make. Though it seems like a half hearted attempt here by Honda.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post3565366 (Honda recalls Brio, Amaze, CR-V over faulty airbags)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Even at parking speeds, the momentum of a 150 kg motorcycle plus rider can be substantial. Does insurance cover this damage?
Even if we consider the momentum of the motorcycle, still the only damage was to the fog lamp. Even that didn't shatter, just the plastic clips got dislodged. If such a minor impact deploys airbags, then I'm very worried. Not only from the cost perspective but also from the driver or passenger safety point of view. Unnecessary deployment of airbags is also not safe and that was infact the primary reason behind the Takata recall IIRC. And if this is not because of the faulty airbags sensors, then it is a case of faulty placement of sensors by Honda.
wanderer4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 19:51   #1669
Senior - BHPian

Brio windshield doesn't have rubber beading strip around edges. Boodmo lists this rubber strip compatible to Brio. Any idea what is this and can it be done as a DIY project?

Tia,
-BJ
Old 12th August 2021, 12:16   #1670

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Brio windshield doesn't have rubber beading strip around edges. Boodmo lists this rubber strip compatible to Brio. Any idea what is this and can it be done as a DIY project?

Tia,
-BJ
Hi bj96,

Did you get to try this with your brio? I'm too looking for something like this.
Old 19th August 2021, 19:12   #1671

Hi all, I have recently bought a pre owned Honda Brio and with the car I've only got a single key (Normal one). I'm thinking of getting a key with the lock and unlock mechanism, checked with HASS and they are quoting 7.5k with a waiting time of a month. I've checked with a key maker and he's quoting 3.5k with the whole computerized process. Just wanted to know if it's worth getting it from outside? The old key will work with the new one as per him. Any pointers?
Old 27th September 2021, 14:07   #1672
BHPian

Our 2012 Honda Brio's rubber bits around window and door are worn out and so, leaking in heavy monsoon.

Is it better to take to Honda ASS for replacing or better to take to a garage FNG? If FNG, any suggestions for Kolkata?
Sidban85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 18:23   #1673
BHPian

My Polo 1.6 is about 11yr old now. This is a shared daily bearer for our home and has served us well. I was thinking about replacing it with a used Brio.
The car I've found is 2015 Model MT with about 40k on the odo and OEM Alloys, 15 inch wheels and company stereo. Getting it for about 3L. Any suggestions or feedback if this will give me fuss free ownership for another 5yrs?
Old 8th November 2021, 20:30   #1674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
My Polo 1.6 is about 11yr old now. This is a shared daily bearer for our home and has served us well. I was thinking about replacing it with a used Brio.
The car I've found is 2015 Model MT with about 40k on the odo and OEM Alloys, 15 inch wheels?
The Brio came with 14 inch OEM alloys, not 15. Maybe this car has been fitted with Jazz or City wheels?
Old 8th November 2021, 23:29   #1675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan nhu mare? View Post
The Brio came with 14 inch OEM alloys, not 15. Maybe this car has been fitted with Jazz or City wheels?
Ohh yyeah probably. I haven't seen the car in person. I have about 80k on my Polo and soon its require some serious cash to fix few things. I plan to dispose it off before that.
Was curious if you guys would reccomend a used 5yo used Brio as a replacement.
Old 9th November 2021, 14:41   #1676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
My Polo 1.6 is about 11yr old now. I was thinking about replacing it with a used Brio.
Any suggestions or feedback if this will give me fuss free ownership for another 5yrs?
While a Brio will definitely give you a fuss-free ownership, I'm not sure it is the right car to replace a Polo 1.6.
I own both these cars. While the Brio is a great city car with its light steering and clutch, and its compact size, it is a step down from the Polo in terms of build quality. In terms of performance too, the Brio's 1.2 IVTEC engine is a bit of a downer due to lack of low-end torque. However, if this car will mostly run in the city, then you should be able to live with these changes.
TheGearBox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 01:49   #1677

Hi all,

Can anyone let me know from where I could source an engine skid plate for brio? I found one on boodmo for around 2k but it's for honda jazz and WRV, however since they are using the same engine, will that work for brio as well?
I don't know why manufacturers are skipping such an important part in cars
Old 27th May 2022, 00:01   #1678
BHPian

Our 2017 Brio VX AT has done around 13k kilometers thus far. Yes, I know, it's barely anything, but it's used by my mother who hardly drives it. The car has never given us more than 9 kmpl in the city with AC. I have tried literally everything to caress and feather touch the accelerator, keep the rpm's in the sweet zone, etc. On a nice long highway drive I got around 11-12 kmpl. My mother doesn't go above 40 kmph and is a very careful driver.

What gives? Every time we've given the car for service the Honda guys say this is all you can get out of this torque converter unit. The car performs really well and we have no qualms with it otherwise, but the fuel efficiency is just ghastly. The only reason we aren't feeling the pinch is because we barely use this car. My BMW 320i gives the same figures as this and it's got a 2 liter engine in a much MUCH heavier car!

Anyone have any inputs on this? I haven't got any info scouring the interwebs either. Apparently the ARAI figures for this car are 16.5 kmpl, which I'm guessing are bloated highway figures.
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 14:35   #1679

After coming from a drive today, noticed these water droplets dripping under the car. I checked it closely, it is water only. Can anyone let me know what's the problem in here?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-20220625_143007.jpg  

Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-20220625_143334.jpg  

Old 25th June 2022, 19:20   #1680
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayyam.gaur58 View Post
After coming from a drive today, noticed these water droplets dripping under the car. I checked it closely, it is water only. Can anyone let me know what's the problem in here?
This looks like water from the a/c condenser. Were you running the a/c before you stopped and parked the car? If yes, then there is a drain pipe angled downwards from which water would drip on the floor.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed