Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2011, 14:13   #226
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
What was the booking amount?
What is the delivery date?
When are they coming out with the Ex-showroom price list?
What is the Warranty?
Well I did not book Brio in Bangalore. I booked it in my hometown.
Booking amount was 50K, which I refused to pay. Instead paid 10K for booking.
Delivery date is as soon as they get their first lot. I was perhaps 5th guy to get the booking done. They were non commital on pricing, which will be known only on 27th of September.

Warranty terms though not clear are same as mentioned in the reviews. If there are any changes, I ll update about the same here.

But biggest disappointment is middle variant not have ABS and Airbags, instead you have to pay extra for it :<.

HTH
Old 19th September 2011, 22:41   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If I were in the shoes of the big-wigs at Honda, I'd propose an introductory price of:

- 3.79 lakhs ex-showroom for the base-Brio,

- 4.29 lakhs ex-showroom for the Brio S, and

- 4.79 lakhs ex-showroom for the top-end Brio V.

I would hike the price up marginally, once it starts selling though. But that would be wishful thinking now.
recent history would suggest that honda would price the brio starting at 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0 and then bring the prices to 4.1,4.5 & 4.8 lakhs a year down the line.
On a more serious note, hope honda gets its pricing right. they use every opportunity to raise prices, citing input costs increment - steel, plastics, rubber and whatever have you!!! and then they finally slash prices by 1.5lakhs( case point - jazz). wonder what the operating profit margins are.

Overall the brio looks well packaged - but looking at the overall dimensions of the car i would be tempted to compare it directly with the i10, beat, figo, definately not the ritz, swift, fabia etc, primarily the i10.

awaiting the end of the month to catch a glimpse of the new baby hatch from Honda..
Old 20th September 2011, 12:46   #228
BHPian

Its ridiculous. I'm surprised that a market like thailand can get a CVT, and more features, where as in India key items are left out. When will this short changing of Indians stop? Perhaps when we reject products that leave out basic items? The reason rear wipers are compulsory in europe in all hatches and notches is due to a swirl created behind the car due to the inherent aerodynamics that causes water to be thrown up on the glass. I guess its OK for honda to make an indian driver have zero rear visibility during the rain but not in Thailand?
Old 20th September 2011, 13:01   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudarshansarma View Post
I guess its OK for honda to make an indian driver have zero rear visibility during the rain but not in Thailand?
Even Thai model doesn't have rear wiper. Wiper on the all glass hatch is tricky as the glass need to have a hole and the wiper assembly with all wiring needs to be mounted from inside etc.
Old 20th September 2011, 13:16   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbly View Post
recent history would suggest that honda would price the brio starting at 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0 and then bring the prices to 4.1,4.5 & 4.8 lakhs a year down the line.
No way, the BRIO can priced like that.

Note that
  • the Jazz Select (Ex-Delhi : ~ 5.75) is the model comparable to the Brio V.
  • the Jazz Base(Ex-Delhi : ~ 5.5) is the model comparable to the Brio S with ABS/Airbags.

The Jazz would have slightly better components and features like dash, carpeting, trims, wheel well cladding, wiper, defogger, higher end music system, reclining seats, etc in addition to more metal.

If you look at the i10 and 120 pricing, there is around 75 ex-showroom difference between the Magna models. All features remain the same with the most significant exception being i20 Magna gets music system.

The Brio is a direct competitor to the i10, Ritz while a little premium over Beat. It cannot compete head-on with Swift at Swift prices though it may take away some sales from the Swift and others.

Where the Jazz Base costs ~6.5 and ~6.8O OTR Mumbai, the S(with ABS Airbags) would be priced less than 5.6 OTR Mumbai and the V topping out at near 6.00 OTR. The S without ABS/Airbags could retail for 5.0-5.1 undercutting the Swift by about 40-50k.

This is the max upper limit for Brio pricing if they want volumes like Maruti and is bang into the i10 price territory. It another story that i10 usually has near 30k discounts round the year.

Last edited by dipen : 20th September 2011 at 13:17.
Old 20th September 2011, 14:15   #231
BHPian

I just spoke to a Honda dealer and he mentioned that pricing for the base version is expected to be around 4.3L - 4.5L (ex-Delhi).

There are likely to be 3 trims. Base, S and V. Base will not have airbags etc. Booking amount is 20K and fully refundable.
Old 20th September 2011, 14:32   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
I just spoke to a Honda dealer and he mentioned that pricing for the base version is expected to be around 4.3L - 4.5L (ex-Delhi).

There are likely to be 3 trims. Base, S and V. Base will not have airbags etc. Booking amount is 20K and fully refundable.
Thanks.
Looks like Honda is not going to live up to its promise of keeping the Car under 5L.
I was expecting S variant with ABS and Airbags to be 4.5L Ex showroom, but
Old 20th September 2011, 18:36   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Overall the brio looks well packaged - but looking at the overall dimensions of the car i would be tempted to compare it directly with the i10, beat, figo, definately not the ritz, swift, fabia etc, primarily the i10.

awaiting the end of the month to catch a glimpse of the new baby hatch from Honda..
Well, considering there is so much noise of dimensionally comparing Brio with i10, A-Star, Beat and Figo; here goes the GTO styled comparison chart. Apologies to GTO/Anshuman for encroaching in their area. Please don't mind

Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-honda-brio-comparison.jpg
Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-brio-figo-beat-i10-comparison.jpg

I did not know before making this chart that not only Brio is a smaller wheelbase than even A-Star but also the widest body in this segment as well.

Last edited by anu21v : 20th September 2011 at 18:43.
Old 20th September 2011, 19:31   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On a more serious note, hope honda gets its pricing right. they use every opportunity to raise prices, citing input costs increment - steel, plastics, rubber and whatever have you!!! and then they finally slash prices by 1.5lakhs( case point - jazz). wonder what the operating profit margins are.
That is true. But Honda cannot afford to risk pricing the Brio higher than 5.5 lakhs, since that would put it in Jazz territory. Now you don't want a smaller hatchback being priced in the same range as that of a bigger hatchback from the same stable, right?

Word on the street is that Honda would price it @ 4 lakhs, the cheapest base Brio, that is. The top-end would be priced just under the base-Jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Well, considering there is so much noise of dimensionally comparing Brio with i10, A-Star, Beat and Figo; here goes the GTO styled comparison chart. Apologies to GTO/Anshuman for encroaching in their area. Please don't mind

I did not know before making this chart that not only Brio is a smaller wheelbase than even A-Star but also the widest body in this segment as well.
The Brio is not actually a small car. It just looks small. It's pretty spacious inside. It's only in terms of length that it is significantly smaller than some of its competition, i.e. The Swift, Liva and Micra. Despite the wheelbase of the Brio being slightly smaller than the A-Star, the leg room at the back, as seen in the pictures, is much more than the A-Star, and the boot-space is the same in both. That mirrors Honda's design & tech abilities.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th September 2011 at 19:39.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 14:01   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Well I did not book Brio in Bangalore. I booked it in my hometown.
Booking amount was 50K, which I refused to pay. Instead paid 10K for booking.
Delivery date is as soon as they get their first lot. I was perhaps 5th guy to get the booking done. They were non commital on pricing, which will be known only on 27th of September.

Warranty terms though not clear are same as mentioned in the reviews. If there are any changes, I ll update about the same here.

But biggest disappointment is middle variant not have ABS and Airbags, instead you have to pay extra for it :<.

HTH
acroback, congrats on the booking. I guess you have gone for the middle variant with ABS & Airbags. So what the dealer told me is true, Honda is launching the Brio with 4 variants.
Old 21st September 2011, 15:08   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
acroback, congrats on the booking. I guess you have gone for the middle variant with ABS & Airbags. So what the dealer told me is true, Honda is launching the Brio with 4 variants.
yes there are 4 variants.
Confirmed with management in Honda.
But contact refused to divulge pricing, saying my guess of 4.5L ex showroom for mid variant might be true.

Also, all variants have honda's G Con tech. So even base variant is no slouch either in safety, though misses on ABS and Airbags.
Old 21st September 2011, 16:18   #237
Senior - BHPian

launch on Tuesday Sept. 27 in Delhi.
Old 21st September 2011, 16:53   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
launch on Tuesday Sept. 27 in Delhi.
Thanks but that has been published already I guess.
But any info on approx pricing?

Cu,
Old 21st September 2011, 18:00   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Thanks but that has been published already I guess.
But any info on approx pricing?

Cu,
didn't think it was known - prices will be announced on that day
Old 23rd September 2011, 01:25   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Can you you throw some light into - what kind of niggles are they facing in Beat?

Brio is built for emerging markets like India. Honda did much better than what Toyota did with Liva. They just put the interior theme beige and that translates into more space (if you measure with an inch tape there will be more room than a Beat or say Spark.) But then we must take the exterior measurements and calculate with respect to that. In that case Spark outsmarts all with amazing space with respect to the exterior dimension. (recently they too did a beige surgery) I hate beige interiors. Very difficult to maintain. Back to Brio, they had chopped dash and door panels to create room. I have seen many cars with center console with symmetry (like Beat, Figo) and tilted towards to driver (like Palio, Ikon). But first I am seeing the Audio console tilted towards Passenger.

So you are saying that only Honda cars (Jap cars) can last for many years. So as per you a Beat or Spark will not last for at least 10 years or even more! Bad perception.

Brio is a good car. But don't call it's competition flimsy.

Cheers!
My brother's friend owns a spark. He mentioned that immediately after the 3 year Chevy warranty, major components started to fail in his vehicle and Chevy A.S.S. were not even providing proper service (forget about fixing the issues under good will). I am not sure of the exact component that failed as he is my brother's friend and my brother does not know well enough about cars to understand the issues. Anyway, his friend was very insistent that we give Chevy cars a miss. This is in a smaller town (Mangalore) so I'm not sure if Chevy A.S.S. in other bigger cities is better.

A colleague took me to his Beat and Figo and compared the door width to that of another friends' Punto. I have to admit, the doors on the Beat and Figo did seem very thin.

I don't think that simply applying a beige theme to the Brio would make all the difference in space though it does certainly help. Having sat in a Jazz many times and after owning a City, I can say that Hondas certainly seem to have more in-cabin space than the competition. However, I will reserve my opinion on this point until I've had a chance to do a personal comparision of the Brio's in-cabin space against the Beat.

Most Viewed