Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2012, 13:18   #706
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@suhaas307; I was myself surprised at the price. As for variants it has been standard practice to give the AT on the second from top version. Now they are getting a bit wiser, adding things like rear discs, etc. Any AT is bound to be heavier on the brakes. I think the main market for the Brio AT is going to be as a second car, a local runabout. Here the competition is pretty pathetic - i10, i20, Dzire and the much smaller A-star.
Spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Real eye opener. I always thought Brio to be a nice lifestyle car, especially for young enthusiasts/couples and not as a single family car(which i10, Swifts are IMHO). It can make a nice second car but lack of rear wiper, defogger is a serious omission.

This isn't a family car. This will sell to those families looking for a city round about. This would also appeal to the youth.

Like I said before, I'd be paying 6.5 lakhs for it on the road Bangalore. I would want a rear wiper. Period.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th June 2012 at 13:20.
Old 9th June 2012, 13:31   #707
Senior - BHPian

Let me give you some examples of the suspension,

Lets say you are doing 65 - 70, on a nice smooth road, and suddenly a dip of about 4-6 Inch or larger comes, that dip gives you a jerk that will filter down all the way to your head via your spinal cord.

In fact I am even told Honda India is still testing the car for improvements to Engines, Suspension. I even have posted in the diesel thread about this.

H@r$h@l has pretty much explained the rest but like I said this car is good, but needs a lot of work from Honda! But as things stand now I would any day recommend people buy something else, unless those who think anything and everything Honda is better, but those days of fantasy are long gone, today others have pretty much caught up and some even gone ahead.

Also recently we were at the biggest used car dealers in Ahmedabad who is a close friend of mine for H@r$h@l's car, and we just casually asked him about the Brio and these were his comments :

1. It's a hideously built car.
2. He does not even offer much in terms of resale to the buyer.
3. Dealers are stuck with a huge lot of stock. (This has been since long now)
4. Honda needs to improve it's mileage he's got 3-4 cars all give around 10.
5. This was funny his comments, (Piche se to aisa laagta hai ke kaanch ka showroom bana diya ho) - Means, Looks like a glass showroom from the rear.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
That is indeed a crying shame. Can other owners shed some light on this - is the suspension really bad?
Quote:
Real eye opener.
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 21:48   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
It's not like one buys an i10 for the family and the Brio for the track, fine it maybe a little agile but lets not make it sound like it's miles ahead of the others because it maybe 15% more agile than the i10, but every thing else as a package and the i10 walks over this car.

It's a good car yes, but not one I would recommend as yet if this will be your only car.

And for anyone who wants to know I've done 8200 Kms on it.
For someone who owns a Brio and has done 8200 kms on it, it takes a lot of courage to admit that i10 is still a worthy competitor to the Brio.

I read your earlier post and it is unfortunate that you have had issues with the build-quality, ride-quality and fuel economy of your Brio.

Have other Brio owners faced similar problems or is it specific to your car? If so, Honda's reputation for quality, reliable and fuel efficient cars could well receive a massive blow.

I'm seriously considering a Jazz (or an Ertiga or an MUV like Sumo/Bolero) as my next car and I would certainly not want a beauty like the Jazz to have a poor FE or poor build-quality.

You mentioned that your Brio has "Lots of rattling in the dash area specifically over the centre console." Many have been flogging Hyundai for the steering rattles on the i10 and i20. It now appears that the "Shake, rattle and roll" syndrome has affected Brio as well.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 23:50   #709

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I dont know if its the suspension or whatever, but the Brio bottomed out on two speed breakers that I was confident an i10 would have sailed thru! This was my Dad's brand new Brio. I was extremely careful the second time it touched and my heart skipped a beat when that happened. I was so scared of breakers after that. There were 4 passengers in the car.

Brio is a good car with lot of positives. But this one aspect is really one big question mark, for anybody contemplating buying it. That was one big reason I was scared of buying the ANHC AT. However Brio would be good if there are only 2 passengers on board.
That's surprising. I've been negotiating the generously available speed breakers in Bangalore here, and it's been smooth sailing so far. Initial thoughts were ahh...a Honda that won't bottom out. Decent car but no rear defogger. Can't understand the logic of omitting that one.
Old 10th June 2012, 10:50   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnaik7 View Post
Decent car but no rear defogger. Can't understand the logic of omitting that one.
Would the lack of a defogger and washer/wiper be a deal breaker or be such a crucial omission as to invite so much criticism? I presume at least 80% of the swifts and swift dzires sold are of the LDi/VDi/LXi/VXi variant which do not have a rear wiper/washer/defogger. (NB: I dont have any figures to prove the %, only an assumption as seen on roads)
Old 10th June 2012, 11:28   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Would the lack of a defogger and washer/wiper be a deal breaker or be such a crucial omission as to invite so much criticism? I presume at least 80% of the swifts and swift dzires sold are of the LDi/VDi/LXi/VXi variant which do not have a rear wiper/washer/defogger. (NB: I dont have any figures to prove the %, only an assumption as seen on roads)
I understand what you are saying; but drive a Brio when its raining and thats when you feel the need for it. Its like Insurance; having one is always safe.

We drove S350L-E240s brio when it rained just a bit and it was actually no visibility at rear and also no solution to it. I have a 2008 Wagon R & that too has a rear defogger. We dont live in a city where we need it 365 days a year; but atleast 40 days a year.
h@r$h@l is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 12:17   #712

Quote:
Agreed that most of the swifts do not have them, but in comparison Brio's glass hatch is the biggest covering almost the entire back. Deal breaker- hmmm....might not be...but a royal pain in the neck it sure is. With monsoons almost here, now is the real test. Brio owners - it would be nice if you keep us updated with regards to this as the monsoon progresses.
Old 10th June 2012, 12:18   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's surprising. I've been negotiating the generously available speed breakers in Bangalore here, and it's been smooth sailing so far. Initial thoughts were ahh...a Honda that won't bottom out. Decent car but no rear defogger. Can't understand the logic of omitting that one.
Have you tried with 2/3 people at the back? In my case there were 4 people in the car (plus a child) and it touched breakers (one of them was a mountain but other was ok for most cars even on full load). I know few places here in Bangalore where I'd be scared of taking a Brio (one such place is right next to Whitefield Honda!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I understand what you are saying; but drive a Brio when its raining and thats when you feel the need for it. Its like Insurance; having one is always safe.

We drove S350L-E240s brio when it rained just a bit and it was actually no visibility at rear and also no solution to it. I have a 2008 Wagon R & that too has a rear defogger. We dont live in a city where we need it 365 days a year; but atleast 40 days a year.
For rains we do have some alternatives like RainX. Dont know how effective it is as I havent used it myself but theres a thread on it on this forum. I dont think defogger is an absolute must really. One can use A/C for same. I had defogger in my i10 and I live in Bangalore and here it rains a lot and I can tell you I rarely ever used the defogger (and even much less the rear wiper).
Old 10th June 2012, 12:24   #714
Senior - BHPian

Sir,

Like H@r$h@l and others have mentioned it's a big issue, and not saying this is all that needs to be looked into there are other areas too, but to not have any sort of cleansing tool for the rear glass which in the Brio is positioned quite low and attracts a lot of mess in the rains leaves you to do nothing but get back home, and my only point is if someone is buying this car make sure it's not your first car as it has a lot of flaws!

Regards,

P.S I have mentioned again and again I know little about cars of this segment so am only posting whatever I can in my capacity to help others who are buying one.

Quote:
Would the lack of a defogger and washer/wiper be a deal breaker or be such a crucial omission as to invite so much criticism
Old 10th June 2012, 12:57   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think defogger is an absolute must really. One can use A/C for same. I had defogger in my i10 and I live in Bangalore and here it rains a lot and I can tell you I rarely ever used the defogger (and even much less the rear wiper).
How can you use AC for defogging the rear windscreen? You can use it on the front windscreen as you have the AC vents which are designed to be directed on to the windscreen (when required). Need for having the clear rear windscreen becomes a necessity when you have to reverse the car.
Old 10th June 2012, 13:22   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How can you use AC for defogging the rear windscreen? You can use it on the front windscreen as you have the AC vents which are designed to be directed on to the windscreen (when required). Need for having the clear rear windscreen becomes a necessity when you have to reverse the car.
Well with A/C on, the windows dont get fogged easily is what I meant. We do have side windows in the car as well and there is no defogger for that. side visibility, which is much more important for example for chanding lanes etc should also get hampered as rear window because of fogging isint it? I will concede that clear rear windscreen would be required while reversing etc. I was always able to drive without problems with A/C on during rains here.
Old 10th June 2012, 14:09   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed that most of the swifts do not have them, but in comparison Brio's glass hatch is the biggest covering almost the entire back.
When it has a larger glass area, it would technically give you more visibility compared to a hatch with lesser glass area and more metal at the rear, even when it rains, won't it?

I am sure a lot of members in this forum have cars without rear wiper/defogger. they would be able to tell how difficult it is without the same and whether it is an absolute necessity or not. Personally, I have seen lots and lots of cars in my home state-kerala running/reversing without any problem even during the 4 monsoon months!!
Old 10th June 2012, 14:31   #718
BHPian

Quote:
I dont think defogger is an absolute must really. One can use A/C for same.
Imagine you have a 10 km twisty drive in heavy rain.

If you don't have anything that removes the water / condensate in the rear, then the rear view mirror above the driver is practically useless. At that time the outside rear view mirrors are also not useful because the windows would be fully rolled-up and dripping with water and thus providing no visibility.

In such a scenario, especially under heavy rain what you see by the side of you and behind you are just blobs of light making driving very risky and dangerous.

Cheers,
Old 10th June 2012, 14:32   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure a lot of members in this forum have cars without rear wiper/defogger. they would be able to tell how difficult it is without the same and whether it is an absolute necessity or not. Personally, I have seen lots and lots of cars in my home state-kerala running/reversing without any problem even during the 4 monsoon months!!
I think the point here is, it should have been available (may be in the higher variants) for those who see value in it.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 15:43   #720

Quote:
I think the point here is, it should have been available (may be in the higher variants) for those who see value in it.
Well said. I think we can put this topic to rest and move on to other aspects of the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks