Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2015, 13:40   #1411
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

I am a Brio user for more than 1.5 years, the following are the list of pros and cons of the car i noticed
  • Pros
  • Perfect car for the city drive and for nothing else
  • Superb driving dynamics and steering response
  • Decent equipment list for the price
  • Good and compact design, with impressive turning radius
  • 87 horses (which is one bhp more than swifts)
  • Cons
  • The back seat is practically a joke. The car ideally should made in two seater avatar. The back seat passengers will have a tough time managing the leg room.
  • Boot space [ if there is any] doesn't even hold a big suitcase
  • Fuel economy is no where near the company claimed FE. I am getting a 10.8 kmpl in city and 16 kmpl in highway. After all, who is taking this car on highway drives?
  • window trunk lid - no matter what all sweet reasons the company put forward to justify the absence of a real door, it is really an inconvenient solution.
carheadbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 18:05   #1412
BANNED

I am surprised, even my AT does better than that in the winter!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 12:22   #1413
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carheadbanger View Post
Fuel economy is no where near the company claimed FE. I am getting a 10.8 kmpl in city and 16 kmpl in highway.
I've been driving a Brio for three years now and consistently get ~15-16 KMPL in the city without a/c and ~12-14 KMPL with use of the a/c. Although this is nowhere close to the company claimed 18.4 KMPL for the SMT(O) model, it is still fairly good given that most of my driving is in heavy city traffic.

Try up-shifting to a higher gear when you touch the 2000-2100 RPM mark and you should see an increase in your fuel efficiency.
Old 3rd May 2015, 07:35   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
...Try up-shifting to a higher gear when you touch the 2000-2100 RPM mark and you should see an increase in your fuel efficiency.
+1.
For me too city FE is about 12.5 - 13.5. Coming, from WagonR type-1 (which is a workhorse can putter at 40-50kmph on top gear), I used to lug Brio a bit and it was returning lower FE (and lesser green ECO light). Now I keep it revving a bit and run around 2-2.5k RPM and she seems happier. I shift to 5th only after ~60k/h.

-BJ
Old 18th May 2015, 19:31   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Hello Everyone,

My wife's Honda Brio (S) is 1.5 years and 12500 km old now. Here are my opinions in some areas. (I am working on a comparison between our Beat Diesel @ 40000km and Her Brio but time is against me )
Before you start Please note : I do most of the driving though it belongs to my wife !

Engine : Is free revving and has a nice sound above 4000 rpms ! Its an absolute beast at higher rpms (4000 to 6000 rpms). It doesn't feel stressed any which way and you can do 120+ kmph all day ! This is when you are driving with your wife only and with AC off !
Beneath its cute shell, rests the demon who wakes up when revved a little hard.

But there is an issue with the engine. Just like all petrol engines, this one is just too sensitive to weight. Put your well fed cousins and their kid behind and your wife next to you and stuff the boot with heavy bags. Start the AC and you notice what a laggard this car is. The AC along with five people puts a lot of stress on the engine and you will find all the characteristics of i-Vtec evaporating fast. Progress is very slow under heavy conditions, the tachometer climbs too slowly, plus, the AC saps huge amounts of power also increasing the harshness. In certain overtaking scenarios, shifting from 5th to 4th is of no use, You HAVE to shift to third and take the rpms to 4000 to complete your move. Please take a note that all these characteristics are evident on highways at speeds above 80kmph. In city, there is more than enough power.
However, the lower end is too weak. You have to throttle the car to 3000 rpm to get a good start. Not that it is absolute rubbish below 3000 rpm, but the response is very slow. On steep inclines, when you are trapped in traffic (e.g. a flyover or slow moving ghat section) this is when you notice the difference. (I drove a Ford Figo petrol and it was better in this area)

Coming from a Diesel Beat, I think I am amplifying small issues with this brilliant engine. I feel that I have these notions because of the huge difference in Torque figures and the rpms at which they are produced in these two cars. (Will keep the comparisons for another thread )

Fuel Consumption: In city, with AC on, our Brio's average drops to 12.5 kmpl. I drive through city traffic for office everyday (Kothrud to Magarpatta, now you know !) and not on highways (like Katraj Bypass) so that is fine. With AC off, it gives 14 kmpl.
Highways give anywhere around 15 to 18 kmpl depending on AC usage and load. But so far it has never fallen below 15 on highways. Note that I drive sedately to achieve these figures. The Brio's fuel efficiency is too sensitive to throttle input as well.
Like I said in the 'Engine' section, If you be easy on the throttle, this one gives you more mileage but loses on the weak lower range and feels dragged. Keep the car in its power band (3000 rpm and above) the car will drink more petrol but it feels happy and will keep up with the traffic. Again, these differences are not that noticeable when you are driving alone or have only a passenger next to you.

Braking: Just about adequate ! With the car heavily loaded, the braking changes dramatically. There is good feedback, but for the force you put on the brake lever, the amount of brakes applied is lesser as compared to the Beat. On a steep downward slope, it is advisable to plan your braking much in advance as this one gets nervous a little too sooner. That 'clamping' feeling when you press the lever is not noticeable as it is in a Punto, a Polo or even the Beat.

Gears: Initially, the gears were a little hard and required a push to slot in. After three services and two oil changes, the clutch and gear has become a fantasy of some sort. Smooth and sure slotting and absolutely no rubbery feel. It almost feels track-oriented, I like the clacking sound it makes when slotting. This coupled with a free revving engine makes a perfect recipe for spirited driving sessions once in a while. Out on open roads, there is no match for this cute little car.

Ease of Use: The car is absolutely brilliant in this area. The visibility all around is excellent. The controls (Clutch, steering, gears) are light and joy to use. The steering wheel is a tad bigger for my taste, but its quality is much better than the plastic i10 or Marutis. The seating position with adequate under thigh support is friendly and ergonomics related to gear lever and steering are spot on, although the seat-backs are too thin to make you feel comfortable. With rear passengers poking their knees into your back, it almost feels as if they are communicating with you in Morse code.

Talking about rear passengers, this one is not for tall people. If you are more than 5'10'' you need to have good relations with the driver to make you sit in the front. Long drives can be tiring since it has no head rest and the possibility of power naps is ruled out. Since my family is a bunch of minions with no one crossing the 5'10'' mark, we all are fine.
The Boot space and loading height makes this an absolute no-brainer for practical folks. This car can't carry luggage the way you want.

Handling is explained in the first post of this review and there is no room for personal additions. Only two: Brilliant for a car of this size and stock MRF tyres are as bad as they can get !

To Summarize: The sales figures of this car gives you a good picture of where this car stands in the milieu of small cars. There are many other practical options available in this segment which gives you good space and luggage area. The car shines in areas where your mind stops thinking. Its about pure fun. The looks are odd but that is what makes it stand out of the crowd. I personally like the rear of this car. No other car in this segment sits as low as this one. Low slung cars are a becoming distant dream day by day.
This car is a perfect fit for singles or just married men (like me) who haven't given family planning a thought and don't have to lug their relatives very often and give power, fun and novelty a priority over everything else.

Off Topic: I feel bad for men who let their wives' drive the Brio just because of its light controls and all. You need to take her out more often and push her to the limit to see what she is capable of. She might just become your secret corporate affair and the ultimate mistress (sautan) everyone else can only dream of !
NiInJa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 13:06   #1416
BHPian

Dear All,

I got the delivery of by Brio S-MT, Urban Titanium on 4th June. Have rode it 250 odd kms till now and I just love the car.

Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-img_20150607_1513495142.jpg

I shall write a detailed review once I cover 5k mark. As for now, I will write the deal I got. Please see if this is a good deal.

Make - Feb 2015

Ex Showroom 499900
Logistics 5000
Honda Assure 13895
Road Tax 29994
RSA 4600
Total 553389 On Road

Discounts & Free Accessories
Free Insurance - 13895
Rear Parking Sensor
Seat Cover
Floor Mat
Body Cover
Side Beading

Final On Road - 539494

Thanks!
rokindotnish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 20:07   #1417
BHPian

HI Friends,

My Brio is completing 2 years and 20,000Kms. Service is due by the end of this month. Please suggest what all needs to be checked and replaced. Also other user experiences on 20K service are welcome.

Regards,
SUNNY
Old 14th June 2015, 14:48   #1418
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyman_46 View Post
My Brio is completing 2 years and 20,000Kms. Service is due by the end of this month. Please suggest what all needs to be checked and replaced. Also other user experiences on 20K service are welcome.
There's not much to be done. Replace engine oil, oil filter and air filter. Any other problems that you might have with the car can be addressed too.
Old 16th June 2015, 16:23   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokindotnish View Post
Dear All,
I got the delivery of by Brio S-MT, Urban Titanium on 4th June. Have rode it 250 odd kms till now and I just love the car.
Hi All,

I have completed the first 1000 kms and thought of giving a first hand impression on the same.

Pros
1. Super silent Engine. I did try to crank the engine thinking it is off, when in fact it was well alive.
2. Very good maneuverability. As someone mentioned, the car drives like a toy.
3. For the first 1000 kms, the milage gauge hovered between 17-21 kmpl, with AC.
4. Smooth gear shift on 1-4 gears (rest on cons below)
5. Soft suspension, when plying city roads.

Cons
1. There is some issue with the 5th gear, it does not slot in easily, and sometimes falls back to 3rd instead. V bad when you drive on a highway. Called up the service guy and he said it is not a big issue, he will re-align it during the service. Does anyone else face the same issue? Is this common for a fresh gearbox?
2. Reverse gear does not engage. What I mean by not engaging is - even if you put it in slot, the vehicle does not reverse and gear box makes a funny feeble noise. When you again slot it to the extreme end, it works. Possible that I may be doing it wrong. Any thoughts?
3. 2nd Gear is pretty non responsive at slopes, ie- 2nd gear does not pull up the car- but revs at 1k rpm and stays still, even if you push the throttle full. Again, this might be due to an un-tuned engine perhaps?
4. Suspension gets a bit springy with rear passengers.

Giving it for the first service tomorrow, will update on the cons once I get it back.

Cheers!
-Nishanth

Last edited by ampere : 16th June 2015 at 16:41. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
Old 16th June 2015, 17:12   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokindotnish View Post
Hi All,
5. Soft suspension, when plying city roads.
I am quite surprised you find the suspension soft and presumably the ride quality good. The only thing I hate about my Brio is its atrocious ride quality, the suspension is too stiff and hard, even for city use.

"2nd Gear is pretty non responsive at slopes" - Pal rev the engine a bit in first gear and then change to 2nd!

Last edited by heavenlybull : 16th June 2015 at 17:16.
Old 16th June 2015, 18:40   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
I am quite surprised you find the suspension soft and presumably the ride quality good. The only thing I hate about my Brio is its atrocious ride quality, the suspension is too stiff and hard, even for city use.

"2nd Gear is pretty non responsive at slopes" - Pal rev the engine a bit in first gear and then change to 2nd!
Haha... Thanks @heavenlybull. Might be that they have tweaked the suspension for the new Brios and they are soft now?

Tried revving ; the 2nd Gear feels like flat and not willing to increase speed, even if you push the pedal hard.

-Cheers
Old 27th June 2015, 16:45   #1422
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Of recently I have felt a kind of missing in log gears, mainly 1st which comes very rarely. Say in a traffic signal where the accelerator pedal simply goes down without making the rpm high or moving the car forward. Anybody have any clue on this?

Regards,
SUNNY
Old 27th June 2015, 18:13   #1423
BANNED

@rokindotnish; Remember Honda petrol engines are high revving with little juice at lower revs, so 2nd or for that matter any gear, will be sluggish below 3000rpm! There are not that many cars whicg rev happily to 6200+ rpm. This is the nature of the family of beasts.
Old 27th June 2015, 18:33   #1424
Senior - BHPian

I have booked my Alabaster Silver Brio E MT. It's going for registration on Monday.
It's a fun chuckable car and is the 3rd car of the family so practicability is not too big a concern.
I have 2 or 3 queries.
1. Mine being the E model, there is no tachometer
2 the side view ORVMs are the cheap plastic ones Maruti entry level, cheap looking and black coloured) and not the same as the higher models. Can i buy the mirrors that comes with the S and V variants and fit them without modification?
3. The car is coming with steel wheels and MRF tires. So a swap is necessary. Which tires to get? Does someone want to sell their stock Brio alloys?
4. Parcel shelf. Company can't install it for me and an aftermarket one needs to be installed. Should i bother with installing one or will it increase the rattles?
5. I will be blacking out the rear windshield with film. So after I pass, the cops will notice it.

More on this later.. I am posting here so I can the updates here.
Old 27th June 2015, 23:01   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@rokindotnish; Remember Honda petrol engines are hig.
@sgiitk Yes Sir, I totally understand... I try not to push her to high revs yet since the engine is running in (1600 kms) . But I can feel the power.
Thank you.

Most Viewed