Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2011, 14:19   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

The Rear-Hatch / Glass is transparent. If we have a Sub-woofer there or some good speakers, It is an easy flick for the thieves. I personally prefer a metal cover than a see-through cover (for the car ). Opague cover (conventional Tailgate) with a parcel tray, would hide the subwoofer / boot contents.
Old 8th September 2011, 14:27   #77
Senior - BHPian

Very quirky design indeed. Honestly, not to my liking. Give me a Swift anyday. Pricing is a major factor. Honda have already burnt their fingers with the Jazz. They need to take a lesson from that, and price this one absolutely right. No margin for error whatsoever.

Shocking to see an omission of rear-defofgger / rear wiper. With that big a glass area, one surely needs either of the two. I am sure the claustrophobic feel of Swift will not be there in the Brio, thanks to the glass rear.

Excellent review .anshuman! 5 stars all the way!

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 8th September 2011 at 14:30.
Old 8th September 2011, 14:33   #78
BHPian

What. A. Review. Very detailed. Feels like I've just seen the car in flesh. But well, one picture is missing. A perspective picture of this with the other two contenders. Hopefully someone can get it before it's launched. 5 shining stars .anshuman!
Old 8th September 2011, 14:50   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
Would be interesting to see the sales, since we already had Beat with this small boot and that was one of the point for it not selling well, and if we see a good sale of Brio, we can conclude that brand is more important than space ..
Beat sales has picked up after Diesel was launched and it's sales numbers are almost the same as Figo's now. So Bootspace as high priority for an urban user, has already been proved wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
The Rear-Hatch / Glass is transparent. If we have a Sub-woofer there or some good speakers, It is an easy flick for the thieves. I personally prefer a metal cover than a see-through cover (for the car ). Opague cover (conventional Tailgate) with a parcel tray, would hide the subwoofer / boot contents.
How do you say it is an easy flick for the thieves, when all cars have a glass at the rear?

Regarding privacy you can't see what's in the boot if sunfilm is pasted, and the car's interiors are darker than the external environment.

Last edited by Daewood : 8th September 2011 at 14:54.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 14:54   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
...But well, one picture is missing. A perspective picture of this with the other two contenders. Hopefully someone can get it before it's launched. 5 shining stars .anshuman!
+1 to that, what would give a good idea about the size of the car is a Brio placed next to Swift, i10, Figo and i20. That would lay to rest all speculation / doubts regarding the size of the car.

Can someone please take such a picture and upload
Old 8th September 2011, 14:54   #81
BHPian

Hi Anshuman, excellent review, very detailed and well-backed up with wonderful pics and descriptions. You mentioned that the space in Brio is similar to the outgoing Swift. How does the space compare with the 'New' Swift. Understandably the boot is larger in the NSS, but how do you compare the rear bench space in both these cars?

I'm still waiting for the reviews of the ANSS and Force One. Also, with the new Bolero's launch today, I'm expecting quite a few reviews from our TBHP experts, soon!

Cheers,

Saleem.
Old 8th September 2011, 15:03   #82
BHPian

great review for a start anshuman.thats a nice looking city runabout.think lot of people would buy it as a second hatch.well the rear glass area is bit too large. wonder what cost it will cost to replace one as the spot appears as normally the one susceptible to dents.Also the player on the console is offset to the midline with respect to AC knobs, does look out of shape.
Old 8th September 2011, 15:12   #83
BHPian

What a review!! Rated 5 stars. Absolutely loved reading it. And liked the car too.The boot, is ok for me. I believe it grows on you and when you see it in flesh. And the awesome Honda engine makes it a perfect drive! Pricing is the key. And if it falls in the i10 category, I am sure it will have many many takers.
Old 8th September 2011, 15:16   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post
Also the player on the console is offset to the midline with respect to AC knobs, does look out of shape.
+1.
It would have been a lot more pleasing on the eye and symmetrical as well had they placed the player above the ac knobs.
Old 8th September 2011, 15:22   #85
Senior - BHPian

This one is very nice review, thanks to GTO and mods team for bringing such good reviews for us.

My Bits on Brio -

-> this car can change the fortunes of Honda if marketed and priced correctly.

-> The car has added benefit of being a Honda.

-> It can upset competitors market.

-> Bye Bye Skoda Fabia Petrol and other similar hatches.

-> Toyota Liva will have a tough time in market

-> A diesel mill to Brio (including all Honda's models like City/Civic/etc) will do wonders for Honda and consumers.

-> This will be most probably the replacement of My WagonR sometime next year if I go for a petrol version.
Old 8th September 2011, 15:23   #86
BANNED

Good review of a good car!

But, IMO, Brio is in the same leagues of i10 and Ritz, and not in the Swift category. The new Swift has clearly moved a segment up.
Old 8th September 2011, 15:27   #87
BHPian

Nice addition to the burgeoning Indian market of small cars.

Just don't like the fact that even after all these choices, not one car has it all. All have their hits and misses including the Brio.

Why can't there be at least one car which has it all?

Cheers
sahakar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 16:05   #88
BHPian

By looking at the pictures, I (for some reason) think that the rear seating in Brio is better than in i10, may be due to the reduced height of floor hump. You just cant sit in i10 at the back and I am having tough time driving around on the terrible Bangalore roads.

I am glad to see the space in the front end, especially the spacing provided near the clutch. It will surely be one hell of a car for the driver.

Less boot space is a concern for long trips with all the luggage, but isn't that where (highways) the Brio would be a fun to drive?
Old 8th September 2011, 16:05   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
The low turning radius (lower than the oft advertised Micra) and better GC should be a boon to city slickers, but it remains to be seen how the Brio counters the so called speed breakers here in Bangalore.
Remember unlike other Honda cars the Brio comes with stiff rear suspension and short wheelbase, speedbreakers should not be a problem for this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Any updates on price points of the variants?
Pricing details will only be available at the time of launch later this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaLN View Post
Was wondering if there was any one seated in the rear when you took that snap of the car on the hump. I understand that the rear doesn't sag but would it be the same with 2 or 3 people in the rear with some luggage?
There were 2 people in the car when this picture was taken, one weighing close to 100kgs on front seat and other one on the rear seat. The suspension is firm so it is not expected to sag as much as the City or Jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
And I still feel that my Figo would rule the bad highways (Or even the Punto)
Bad roads and high speed composure, nobody does it better than Punto amongst hatchbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
You have mentioned that the a-pillar is thick. From the pics, one can see that the front quarter glass is also absent.
Does it affect drivabilty ?
The A pillar does intrude into visibility but the low set ORVMs help, visibility is not bad at all. Better than most cab forward designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Regarding gearing, Jazz does 100 kmpg at 3000 rpm in 5th gear which is same as the Brio. So, the gearing seems to be identical.
I think it is just the ECU remap for little more FE and low-end torque. I think the initial performance of the Brio is better than the Jazz because of the lower kerb weight ~130 kg lighter.
As per Autocar, the Brio does a 0-100 kmph in 12.5 secs which is 0.5 secs faster than the Jazz. So, it is definitely a hot hatch.
While Jazz scores better in practicality, space, ride etc, Brio scores on Fun to drive factor, easy maneuverability and better low end response useful for crawling in traffic. The Brio feels more lively in the low end, the retune and alterations in gear ratios have done a great job of hiding the weak low end. For me, Jazz=More practical and comfortable family car & Brio=Fun to drive car great for city runabout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
The Brio should give the Honda an added reason to plonk a 1.5L in the Jazz and offer it with both 1.2 and 1.5 options.
The 1.5 engine will rob the Jazz of the Excise benefits, making it more expensive. I find the Jazz adequately powerful, except the weak low end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
The fit and finish quality look excellent. Did you get a chance to photograph the lower variants inside out anytime? Most of the photos are of only the top end.
The base variant was not available at the time of review. Both S and V variants come with exactly same interiors except for some few minor differences, like S version has black carpets and beige colored internal door open handles, while the V variant gets Beige carpets and Aluminium finish door open levers. Only external difference i could spot were missing Alloy rims and foglamps in S variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
-> Toyota Liva will have a tough time in market
Not after the Diesel engine arrives.

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th September 2011 at 09:20. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 16:15   #90
BHPian

Fantastic review. Rated 5 stars.
Looks like the boot space and the glass boot lid seem to be the top concerns with this car.

I'm sure Honda would have tested the all-glass boot door opening/closing X number of times.

Will there be any seperate restrictions for the glass boot door in the car warranty?

Also, any feedback/reports from the Thai Brio as to how it's functioning?

Most Viewed