Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2011, 22:05   #106

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Excellenet Review .anshuman! Very detailed and useful.

I feel the rear design should be just OK (IMHO) as I get used to Ritz rear now. Infact I started loving it after seeing so many of them in roads The big plus would be Honda badge for sub 5 lakh with no-cheap or visible cost-cuttings and the revv happy engine. I believe Honda would price this well and distancing it from Jazz by atleast 75K on-road (Top end Brio with base Jazz).

A Newbee question: Is it possible to do aftermarket suspension setup in these cars, since the roads near my place are bad, worse and worst and new roads won't be laid untill there is an election, which is 4 years away?

Sankar
Old 8th September 2011, 22:34   #107
Team-BHP Support

Excellent unbiased review Anshuman! Just loved going through each line.

Well for me, i hate the looks somehow, it looks like a confused frog neither here nor there. Lack of Autobox! Big mistake!!! Just stand on BLR roads and see how many of those Auto stickers daunt the i10's

But at the end i feel the urge to take a short test drive after a long time, trust me last test drive trip to a showroom was... well i lost count of the months. "Tho isme kutch tho hein" translated this car has something in it that attracts.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 22:56   #108
BHPian

Undoubtedly a wonderful review! Thanks!
To me, this looks like a sibling that will take away the few customers from Jazz.

Brio looks like a winner!

Maruti and Hyundai will now have to work on better quality interiors.

The pricing will be the key factor.
Old 8th September 2011, 23:06   #109
BHPian

There are a few things that I faithfully do almost every morning. A visit to the wash room for "you-know-what", breakfast for "you-know-why" and a quick search for I10-related posts at "you-know-where" (team-bhp.com, of course).

This morning, I was pleasantly surprised to find a number a I10-related posts on a non-I10 specific thread. Interestingly, there were a lot of comments on the I10 on the "Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review." The petrol-only Brio is being closely compared to its closest petrol-only rival, the I10.

I'm aware that I could be knocked down and run over by the anti-I10 fan club, but then, this is a forum and all are entitled to their views and preferences. Well, here are mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
i10 Kappa2 may be close on Performance but it's not a match to Brio's fun to drive factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
I recently test drove the i10 and although it does everything well - it somehow didn't strike a chord with me! Great car, but it lacked that element of fun which I wanted.
I think Honda have their targets set on the i10 and Hyundai have every reason to be alert. Perhaps they'll finally launch the i10 diesel?
God bless competition!
For me, the "fun" part of my I10 Kappa2 Magna was never the fun-to-drive factor (or lack of it, as many would claim), but that it was a fun-to-be-in car, loaded with features at an on-road price of Rs 4.3 lakh. For us, it is a perfect fun-for-family car, as...

* Wife loves interiors, premium feel
* Elders love easy ingress/egress
* I love fitments, great FE.

Having said that, I would also eagerly hope that Hyundai launches the I10 diesel ASAP. That would be my only wish-list for the I10, as I can live with the notorious back-seat blues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I am sure this is going to give the i10 a tough time and may be eat away a bit into the MSIL portfolio too.
While competition is always welcome since the customer is the eventual winner, I am not so sure if the Brio will actually rip apart the I10 in sales. See, besides the Brio, the petrol-only I10 is also presently pitted against Swift (Petrol/Diesel), Ritz (Petrol/Diesel), Figo (Petrol/Diesel), Beat (Petrol/Diesel), Liva (Petrol), Vista (Petrol/Diesel), Nissan Mirca (Petrol/Diesel) and Punto (Petrol/Diesel). Yet, the I10 has generated satisfactory sales (approx 9,000 in August) DESPITE the heavy competition which have twin-fuel options.

In my opinion, the I10 not only sells for its features, but also for its brand image as a reliable, feature-filled, no-nonsense car, which offers a little for everyone, as well as the trust that Hyundai has earned among the Indian customer for over a decade. Hyundai's pan-Indian network has also strengthened the confidence level of the car owner, who would be heartened by the fact that a Hyundai service point is available all across India, something that only Maruti and Tata can boast of, at this point in time.

Also, one must credit Hyundai for offering an AT, despite the limited demand, something that is not present among its above-mentioned rivals. This clearly shows that the I10, with its various trim levels, caters to various kinds of customers, the mass and the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
A fantastic review !!!

This car could have been a worthy competitor to i10, but just fails in many little areas. Brio will sell, no doubt, but because of the brand name and FTD factor, not for practicality.
And yes, Hyundai has to launch the i10 diesel soon.
Rohan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Unless Brio is substantially more fuel efficient, I dont see why one would buy Brio instead of a top end i10 or a base swift.
Exactly. I couldn't agree with the above two views any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Overall, it's very (read = VERY) close between the Brio, i10 & Swift in terms of an overall package. To me, these three outclass every other petrol hatchback from the segment.
I'm really glad to note that the I10 STILL finds a slot in your classic trinity of petrol hatchbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
BTW, I thought about it and slept on it, but there is still no decisive answer to which car is better from the i10 / Swift / Brio petrols. All three are the segment best, and none of the other petrol hatchbacks match this trio in terms of an all-rounded package. The i10 is unbelievably competent, even though it's the oldest and has the least power output & bumpiest ride. Sheer quality, very practical, great refinement and a good spread of variants & equipment.

I'd say if you are looking at practicality, pick the i10 over the Brio. Reasons : Higher stance, easier ingress / egress, better visibility, more equipment etc. But if you love to drive, you know the answer.
GTO basically sums up my love for the I10. His analysis of the I10 could possibly explain why so many customers are attracted to the I10, since its inception in 2007.

Last edited by misquitas : 8th September 2011 at 23:09.
Old 8th September 2011, 23:07   #110
Senior - BHPian

5* review with excellent detail!!

The build quality, fit and finish & all good things associated with a Honda seem intact!

Battlelines have been drawn--
Jazz is taking on Swift ZXI
Brio is taking on Swift LXi & VXi

Rest of the hatches simply dont matter to me (except Ritz maybe)..

Indeed if the V-MT is offered at around 5L, its unbelievably good! I might be tempted for a new hatch

PS: Rear seems out of place, but I guess it will grow on you.

Last edited by Equus : 8th September 2011 at 23:08.
Old 8th September 2011, 23:10   #111
BHPian

Congrats anshuman on a very comprehensive and unbiased review. It was very informative as any other team BHP review. Brio is a brilliant package and everything about it looks to me as a direct competition to i10. the interiors with the all beige look, the drivers seat with the integrated head rest, the quality of the interiors all seem very much like the i10. The only thing which Honda did not provide is the AT. I am sure this will do wonders for Honda in terms of volumes. just hope that Honda has planned to manage the servicing of these cars.

The only flip side I see is the rear looks. I personally did not like it but I guess there may be many who love its quirky looks.

Hey what about that elusive review of the New Swift?

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th September 2011 at 20:50. Reason: We discourage short forms of car names, it definitely takes less time to type BUT more time to read. Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 23:37   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
For me, the "fun" part of my I10 Kappa2 Magna was never the fun-to-drive factor (or lack of it, as many would claim), but that it was a fun-to-be-in car, loaded with features at an on-road price of Rs 4.3 lakh. For us, it is a perfect fun-for-family car, as...
Its the lack of it and trust me any car is fun to be in when its bought with our hard earned money. Thats a personal thing and lets not take it here to discuss. I have spent good enough time with the i10 Kappa and I very well know its +/-. And i10 is not a car which is even close to be quoted under a fun-to-drive category IMO!

Quote:
While competition is always welcome since the customer is the eventual winner, I am not so sure if the Brio will actually rip apart the I10 in sales. See, besides the Brio, the petrol-only I10 is also presently pitted against Swift (Petrol/Diesel), Ritz (Petrol/Diesel), Figo (Petrol/Diesel), Beat (Petrol/Diesel), Liva (Petrol), Vista (Petrol/Diesel), Nissan Mirca (Petrol/Diesel) and Punto (Petrol/Diesel). Yet, the I10 has generated satisfactory sales (approx 9,000 in August) DESPITE the heavy competition which have twin-fuel options.
Did you miss the A-Star/Polo/Jazz/Fabia and i10 fights back every hatch made in India?

Come on dude, take it easy when someone speaks about i10 and dont read too much into what I write here. Giving a tough time doesnt necessarily mean 'ripping apart'.

The Brio is a much better car than the i10 starting from the quality of materials used in the interior, a rev happy engine, space & snob value of the Japaneses 'H' badge which is more than that of the Korean's. The Brio has everything to give the i10 a rough time, but it all depends on how the market sees value in the Brio. So lets wait and watch!
anachronix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 23:53   #113
BHPian

Quote:
...dont read too much into what I write here...
Then why write at all...

Quote:
Come on dude, take it easy when someone speaks about i10 and dont read too much into what I write here. Giving a tough time doesnt necessarily mean 'ripping apart'.
No offense taken. Every car should be subject to views and reviews, plus or minus, so that its successor or a rival model will be a better car for the buyer. Were it not for its rivals, Maruti and Tata may have remained with its limited refinement in interiors and fitment.

Quote:
The Brio is a much better car than the i10 starting from the quality of materials used in the interior, a rev happy engine, space & snob value of the Japaneses 'H' badge which is more than that of the Korean's. The Brio has everything to give the i10 a rough time, but it all depends on how the market sees value in the Brio. So lets wait and watch!
The Brio certainly promises a lot, but as you say, let's wait and watch the sales charts in the coming months.
Old 9th September 2011, 06:47   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
There were 2 people in the car when this picture was taken, one weighing close to 100kgs on front seat and other one on the rear seat. The suspension is firm so it is not expected to sag as much as the City or Jazz.
Good to hear that. At last we now have a Honda where one doesn't have to get out and check the clearance every time we come up against a hump if there are more than 2 in the car.
Even the new Fluidic Verna has the same problem, not as bad as City though.

It's probably our logic defying humps and potholes which are more in place on a cross country track than on city roads.
Old 9th September 2011, 08:39   #115
BHPian

Great review! Looks are let down... need to see it in flesh.
Old 9th September 2011, 09:23   #116
Senior - BHPian

Superb review Anshuman.

Now opinions expressed are my own and not to offend anybody.

I can't help it but it is constantly reminding me of funky Beat and A-star, and these to be the only comparison given the shape, size, space, comfort it offers.

Not experienced it. But only from the looks and the exterior and interiors some very nagging issues I see with it, far away out of league of Ritz, i10, Figo, Indica/Vista:
- funkier design and may not be suited to all
- boot too small just like A-star and Beat. The boot opening is too small to put in larger bags. The Boot lid is of glass...chances of it getting damaged easily?
- crampy rear-seat not suited for seating 5 people comfortably
- pricy compared to various aspects and especially usability levels in the competition of Ritz, i10, Figo, Vista

If at all one has to go for Japanese name with reliability at these price point, why not Liva (though compromised on interiors and power) then is the question that comes to my mind. Otherwise, the segment is already ripe with the hot-runners like Ritz, i10. I see it facing quite a uphill task.
Old 9th September 2011, 10:06   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Beat sales has picked up after Diesel was launched and it's sales numbers are almost the same as Figo's now. So Bootspace as high priority for an urban user, has already been proved wrong.
Well Daewood, I agree with you, but its just Petrol to Petrol Comparison is what I meant. We definitelty know that Honda does not have diesel heart atleast in the near future. But till that time we might have to look at the sales chart for the space issue and that was what I was mentioning about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I dont know why but this car reminds me of the original Maruti 800. The original one, and not the one that became the bestseller. I foresee a lot of youngsters buying this car, although i dont see many family minded buyers picking one up. Its not an 'Uncles Car' if you know what i mean. The I10, Wagon R, Polo and Swift manage the best of both worlds.
Exactly my thoughts initially, but then remembered that its because of the rear boot. In 1st version of 800 also we had the glass opening similar to Brio and the design styling reminds of that vehicle. But pictures does not do justice to the car here, if you look at the dimensions of the car. So this Brio will be as big as other compact cars at present in this segment .

Last edited by informmaha : 9th September 2011 at 10:08.
Old 9th September 2011, 10:07   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Superb review Anshuman.

Now opinions expressed are my own and not to offend anybody.

I can't help it but it is constantly reminding me of funky Beat and A-star, and these to be the only comparison given the shape, size, space, comfort it offers.

Not experienced it. But only from the looks and the exterior and interiors some very nagging issues I see with it, far away out of league of Ritz, i10, Figo, Indica/Vista:
- funkier design and may not be suited to all
- boot too small just like A-star and Beat. The boot opening is too small to put in larger bags. The Boot lid is of glass...chances of it getting damaged easily?
- crampy rear-seat not suited for seating 5 people comfortably
- pricy compared to various aspects and especially usability levels in the competition of Ritz, i10, Figo, Vista

If at all one has to go for Japanese name with reliability at these price point, why not Liva (though compromised on interiors and power) then is the question that comes to my mind. Otherwise, the segment is already ripe with the hot-runners like Ritz, i10. I see it facing quite a uphill task.
I'm sorry Parsh, but I beg to disagree with you on this.

The Brio is a pure city-car. And with the levels of quality it boasts of, that superb 1.2 liter mill and a well packaged interior and design just trumps the likes of the A-Star, the Beat, the i10 and most importantly, the Liva.

If you want a car with a big boot, then buy a car with a big boot. Why look at small hatchbacks at all, in that case? In terms of sheer volume, the Brio's boot is just 175 liters. But remember, it isn't about sheer volume, it's about how well packaged and designed the boot is. It might look small, but it's very deep and one can accommodate quite a lot in it, if you plan it properly.

At the end of the day, it's a hatch and one won't be looking to take it on the highway and stuff it with a weekend's worth of luggage. But if one does contemplate on taking it on the highway for a holiday, then I'm sorry you've just bought the wrong car. Nay. you've looked at the wrong segment!

The only grouse I have with it is the glass hatch. It may be durable and may be able to withstand the slamming for 5 years, but it doesn't provide security to the owner, if he decides to leave something valuable inside it.

The rear seating is actually very good. For a car that is so small from the outside, it still manages to provide more space than a Swift, which is considerably larger than the Brio. Five people can be accommodated in the rear seat, but in the case with most hatchbacks in this segment, the 5th passenger will NOT be comfortable.

Personally, I love the way it looks. It's compact, yet, stretched and wrapped around the wheels that have been positioned at the extreme corners of the car, giving it fantastic balance, handling and dynamics. It will NOT roll the way other hatches would, and the 175 section tyres on 14" wheels ensure that it stays planted.

The Brio is leagues ahead of everything else in the segment.

If you're looking for a car that gives you more features like sunroof, auto-mirrors, etc. then the i10 is the car for you. But if material things don't matter to you, and the quality and performance and reliability matters to you, then the Brio has no competition.

The Liva, lesser said the better. DO you really want to buy a 'made-for-India' car that feels it's worth a lot lesser? And to make it's case worse for it, it isn't as well equipped as the cars available in the segment either.

Hondas are as reliable as Toyotas, if not more.

Don't get me wrong, the i10 is a great car. The Auto-'box gives it a huge edge over the others in the competition. But that's about it. That's where it draws the line. And @ 4-5 lakhs, this is a fantastically priced hatchback. It gives you Swift power, performance and reliability for Beat money.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 10:10   #119
BHPian

Informative & well written review. I liked the Brio & find it to be a better package than the Liva. With an affordable pricing, seems like a winner to me.
Old 9th September 2011, 10:22   #120
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The only grouse I have with it is the glass hatch. It may be durable and may be able to withstand the slamming for 5 years, but it doesn't provide security to the owner, if he decides to leave something valuable inside it.
I fully endorse your remarks. As for the rear hatch, I will like to have a parcel shelf, but then with a glass this big that is not possible. At the end of the day I will sacrifice this security aspect for ease of reversing in a city runabout. Many of the modern cars have minuscule rear screens compromising rear visibility severely.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed