Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 23:05   #856
BHPian

I had given my car for second service. They were reluctant to put the diagnostics and service advisor was acting over smart. He came up with a new theory that THEIR cars consume fuel only when clutch is pressed and driven, clutch in this car is super-strong. Have to give it to them for their innovative reasoning every time. It needed me to mention that I am not a newbie and my driving experience along with other cars I drive to shut him up after which some restraint could be seen.

However, apart from this mileage issue the car runs like a gem and other than the service advisor, the servicing at magnum honda, yeshwantpur was to my satisfaction. The gears slot in more positively and engine responds better than earlier. Will keep it updated here if I see an improvement in f.e. after the service.
Old 8th September 2012, 20:14   #857
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rony180 View Post
@v.anand even I maintain 29/26 on my Brio SMT and get around 12-13 full tank to full tank in city with 50% a/c. Even I feel its low but not sure whether it would go up ay further. However I always try to keep the car in eco mode by using a light foot on the accelerator and switching off ignition/ac in traffic. Hence was expecting it to be around 14. But haven't been able to get more than 13.3 in city.

And yes, even I have observed a difference of 0.8-1.0 between the MID and full tank calculation.
There's definitely a difference between indicated and actual fuel consumption.

Regards tire pressure, in city usage (bumper-to-bumper), the tire pressure isn't likely to have an impact on FE; on highway runs, yes. Notwithstanding and OT, I prefer to keep to the lower range of the recommended tire pressure on my vehicles during the monsoons. Under inflation risk yes, but surely a better grip on slimy, concrete city roads.

Last edited by CowlFlap : 8th September 2012 at 20:16.
Old 17th September 2012, 13:22   #858
BHPian

Took delivery of VMT on 03.09.2012. My dad took the keys. On road price 5.6 Lakhs with 2 yrs extended warranty + rain visors + floor mats + Body side beading + Reverse sensors + Underbody protection + Illuminated scuff plates.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-20120903_1705111024x1024.jpg  

Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 13:36   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
I had given my car for second service. The gears slot in more positively and engine responds better than earlier.
Do you see a lot improvement in gear slotting especially when you up shift from 1st to 2nd or downshift from 3rd, after the second service. I am finding that quite annoying in B2B traffic. What FE are you getting? I'm getting 13-15kmpl consistently fuel tank method.
Old 20th September 2012, 21:08   #860
BHPian

Going through Autocar Magazine's buyer section & found that top speed of Brio has been mentioned as only 140 kmph where as for Jazz it is 176 kmph or there about. Is the engine or state of tuning any way different from Jazz? May be it is a typo too.Would like to have Brio owner's comments on this.
Old 21st September 2012, 19:11   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Going through Autocar Magazine's buyer section & found that top speed of Brio has been mentioned as only 140 kmph where as for Jazz it is 176 kmph or there about. Is the engine or state of tuning any way different from Jazz? May be it is a typo too.Would like to have Brio owner's comments on this.
Brio & Jazz share the same 1.2L i-vTech engine but tuned differently. The free revving engine, light body and the high power to weight ratio of the Brio makes it a perfect candidate to achieve 140+ speeds however I believe the electronic limiter restricts speeds above this.
Old 22nd September 2012, 10:34   #862
BHPian

I booked a Honda Brio VMT last evening. I think it's a fantastic car and something tells me the car is going to love me back!

I have a few doubts regarding the addons/accessories that the dealer is offering.

1) The under chassis anti-rust coat costs somewhere around 5k. The salesman said they use 3M products. However 3M car care does the same for somewhere around 1.5k. THe dealer said they use double coats etc (I'm not sure if he is telling this just to sell the add-on to me). Are the both same?

2) Apparently the dealer doesn't have a say over what tyres I will get. I might get an MRF or a Goodyear depending on whichever arrives at the stockyard. By the user reviews I read, both aren't great. My question is would an upsize affect mileage? Also which is the best set of tyres for the Brio?

3) I found the car great to drive. However I found the road noise in the rear a bit weird. Is there any after market solution regarding the cladding?

4) The dealer doesn't seem to have a clue about bumper to bumper insurance. He says Honda Assure has comprehensive insurance. When I asked for b2b, he wasn't very clear about Honda Assure though he said unconvincingly that it is available. Honda Assure's website is just a login form for customers. Anybody know anything about this? Also should I go for b2b insurance? What is the difference between b2b and comprehensive insurance?

Some details: I went for Rally Red. I got Rs. 35000 discount plus they are paying for 20k worth insurance. I also bargained for a free reverse sensor. Capital Honda, OMR, Chennai. The guys are awesome and really know how to treat a prospective customer unlike Serif Nissan (story for another day)

Thanks in advance and apologies for these silly questions. First time car buyer here.
Old 22nd September 2012, 18:43   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnarain View Post
I booked a Honda Brio VMT last evening.
Congrats and will look forward to reading your ownership review

Quote:
The under chassis anti-rust coat costs somewhere around 5k. The salesman said they use 3M products.
I would suggest get the anti rust done at 3M. Apart from being cost effective they would give you a 5-year warranty as well, something the dealer won't AFAIK. Moreover at 3M you can actually see the whole process done in front of your eyes.

Quote:
I might get an MRF or a Goodyear depending on whichever arrives at the stockyard. My question is would an upsize affect mileage? Also which is the best set of tyres for the Brio?
The dealer is correct in saying he ain't sure which tyres will come in the next dispatch. This is because Honda has two OEM suppliers MRF & Good Year. So he won't be able to tell you before hand which tyre he gets.

Upgrading the shoes is something depending on individual driving pattern. If you are someone who drives sedately I don't think you'd want to upgrade just right now. However if you'd like high speed cornering then a better contact patch is warranted. Can use Yoko A-Drives, Pirelli or even Michelin.

Upgrading the rims to a size higher than 175 is not advised unless you are willing to stay with a voided warranty.

Quote:
I found the car great to drive. However I found the road noise in the rear a bit weird.
Road noise from the rear is higher because of the missing rear cladding. This is also due to the noisier MRF / Good Years. An tyre swap to the quieter Yoko's would solve this to some extent.

Quote:
The dealer doesn't seem to have a clue about bumper to bumper insurance. He says Honda Assure has comprehensive insurance.
Isn't 20k insurance on the higher side if it is not including b2b. I feel you should you check the quotes offered by other insurance cos. who provide you with zero dep policies. If they are cheaper ask the dealer for cash discount instead of insurance and get the insurance done outside.
arup.misra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 23:42   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
The reason is shorter gearing on the brio. The brio gets to 140 on speedo pretty easily actually close to 150 even. Progress beyond is rather slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Upgrading the shoes is something depending on individual driving pattern. If you are someone who drives sedately I don't think you'd want to upgrade just right now. However if you'd like high speed cornering then a better contact patch is warranted. Can use Yoko A-Drives, Pirelli or even Michelin.

Upgrading the rims to a size higher than 175 is not advised unless you are willing to stay with a voided warranty.

Road noise from the rear is higher because of the missing rear cladding. This is also due to the noisier MRF / Good Years. An tyre swap to the quieter Yoko's would solve this to some extent.
If you stay on the same oe rims and only increase the width, there's no voiding of warranty. I've confirmed this with the service folks of whitefield honda. I run 195/60 R14 and honda service is perfectly fine with this.

Yoko A-Drives are turd tyres. Absolutely worthless for the money. I'd rather leave it on OE than get A-Drives after spending money. I've nothing against yoko - I have advan neovas on my second car and they are outstanding tyres but yoko makes a bunch of crap as well like the a-drives and the s-drives.

Either get a decent michelin (something better than the XM crap) or get MRF ZLO. The latter is what my car runs on - cheap, tonnes of grip - way more than what a brio will ever need, very nice ride quality and surprisingly tough for a sports oriented tyre.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 22nd September 2012 at 23:49.
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:31   #865
BHPian

Quote:

Isn't 20k insurance on the higher side if it is not including b2b. I feel you should you check the quotes offered by other insurance cos. who provide you with zero dep policies. If they are cheaper ask the dealer for cash discount instead of insurance and get the insurance done outside.
Thanks. Actually 20k is for comrehensive. I have to shell out an extra ~6k for b2b. And the salesman is not sure if it is zero dep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
If you stay on the same oe rims and only increase the width, there's no voiding of warranty. I've confirmed this with the service folks of whitefield honda. I run 195/60 R14 and honda service is perfectly fine with this.

Either get a decent michelin (something better than the XM crap) or get MRF ZLO. The latter is what my car runs on - cheap, tonnes of grip - way more than what a brio will ever need, very nice ride quality and surprisingly tough for a sports oriented tyre.
Thanks. Got it. Will changing to Michelin affect mileage?
Old 23rd September 2012, 12:24   #866
BHPian

Quote:
I've confirmed this with the service folks of whitefield honda. I run 195/60 R14 and honda service is perfectly fine with this.
I'm afraid this ain't true here. Any upgrade in width will void suspension warranty. A Honda dealer in Mumbai are family friends and I can confirm this. Again this would depend on the dealer. If you have a good relationship he'd overlook the change.

Quote:
I have to shell out an extra ~6k for b2b. And the salesman is not sure if it is zero dep.
That is daylight robbery. I paid 16k for my brio insurance (zero dep). Check outside.

Quote:
Will changing to Michelin affect mileage?
If you upgrade the tyres, you'd find marginal detoriation. But with just change to Michelin, no mileage drop. Just road noise drop
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 19:02   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks. Got it. Will changing to Michelin affect mileage?
Maybe 1km/l if you go up to 195/60 R14

Quote:
I'm afraid this ain't true here. Any upgrade in width will void suspension warranty. A Honda dealer in Mumbai are family friends and I can confirm this. Again this would depend on the dealer. If you have a good relationship he'd overlook the change.
Can you show me where in the warranty document does it mention that upsizing voids warranty.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 01:42   #868
BHPian

Hello Everyone!

After some confusion between Swift, Beat and Brio, my brother is going to take delivery of a SMT Brio before end of this month in Thane/Mumbai. I will send him the Team-BHP PDI list too. I request everyone to please provide their inputs about the best deal that one can get for a Brio, needed accessories, etc. I will ask him to get 3M rust protection done. Inputs will be deeply thanked and appreciated!
Old 25th September 2012, 10:29   #869
BHPian

Quote:

That is daylight robbery. I paid 16k for my brio insurance (zero dep). Check outside.

If you upgrade the tyres, you'd find marginal detoriation. But with just change to Michelin, no mileage drop. Just road noise drop
Quote:
Maybe 1km/l if you go up to 195/60 R14
Thanks folks. I guess I will just swap with 175/65/R14 Michelin. Stock is 175/65/R14 as well. I just want to reduce road noise. Since I'm a first time driver, I'm not too keen on performance tyres. So not increasing width.

Any idea how much I would have to shell out for this?

Also, Bajaj Allianz has quoted around 21k for B2B zero dep for the Brio. That's like around 6k less than Honda Assure. BA also said they have RSA, free towing etc. And they apparently have a network of 2500 garages in TN alone. Too good to be true. If this is the case, I would skip Honda RSA and go for this. I would save around 12k which means more accessories!

Need to confirm Bajaj Allianz claims first though.
Old 25th September 2012, 11:16   #870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The reason is shorter gearing on the brio. The brio gets to 140 on speedo pretty easily actually close to 150 even. Progress beyond is rather slow.
Brio does 100kph@ ~3000rpm, it revvs till 6600 rpm, being 90 hp motor with good torque in midrange and beyond in a superlight car the gearing is surely not the factor limiting the top speed to 140. The half power Alto does close to this speed, maybe with an even shorter gearing.

The reason is electronic limiter, the higher gears in Brio are not very different from Jazz.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks