Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2015, 09:41   #1516
BANNED

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

I think the warning light in place of the gauge is quite common these days in the smaller cars. I remember in the 1970's the Alfasud had a dual purpose warning light, which lit up both when the engine was cold (no hard driving!) and too hot.
Old 27th January 2016, 16:26   #1517
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda seems to be readying a facelifted version of the current-gen Brio which has been spied in Indonesia

Updated Brio leaked ahead of official debut; to get styling and equipment tweaks inside out.

Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-0_468_700_http___172_17_115_180_82_extraimages_20160127040700_brio_fl1.jpg

Quote:
The spy photos seen show that the updated Brio gets styling tweaks to its front end which now makes it look quite similar to its big brother, the Mobilio MPV. The grille is now wider, the headlamps get new inserts and the bumper is new, in line with the styling of the Mobilio RS which is on sale even in India. The updated Brio does away with most of the chrome bits seen on the current car’s grille. The facelifted model is equipped with stylish alloy wheels and a subtle body kit, which hints at the possibility of a Brio RS version in the future.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-399851.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th January 2016 at 16:28.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 11:48   #1518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Suhaas,

There is a little bit of a blind spot in Brio as well. At unpredictable junctions, its very tough to sport the odd motorist or cyclist coming. I have faced it twice in a T-junction. I have to take a right at the junction and a motorist comes in from the same lane (to which i have to take a right) and I couldn't spot him. My car almost brushed his bike but I applied the brakes all of a sudden and avoided it. I was going at around 20kmph only. It happened twice once with a motorist and then an auto. So made it a point to be careful at such junctions.
I faced the same issue with my Brio. Even I missed a car on my right. Now I am giving more attention to my right. I do not have experience with other cars.
Old 31st January 2016, 21:13   #1519
BHPian

Brio LCI is expected at the Auto Expo. No more details available at this point of time, just hope the hideous RS Mobilio face spotted in Indonesia a few days back is not introduced as that just ruins the front of the Brio in my opinion.
Old 31st January 2016, 22:09   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Notwithstanding the positive points of the Brio, namely a smooth engine and acceptable reliability, i am still not too excited Brio as a suitable product for current Market in India.

It does lack on a lot of important points where competetion is much better at - namely space, practicality, fuel efficiency etc.

I would like to see Honda completely phase out the Brio and possibly bring something more contemporary, practical and modern hatchback in its slot. Possibliy a smaller version of the Jazz or maybe reduce the prices of Jazz cutting down on some features.
Old 31st January 2016, 23:24   #1521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I would like to see Honda completely phase out the Brio and possibly bring something more contemporary, practical and modern hatchback in its slot. Possibliy a smaller version of the Jazz or maybe reduce the prices of Jazz cutting down on some features.
I full heartedly disagree with your view-point. You have to understand that the Brio was created based on the thinking that it's a city town car. So people space was more important rather than carrying bags and luggage. Secondly women find it extremely easy to drive and its airy and you can see out clearly which you cannot in a Maruti Swift or Honda Jazz. Also recently JD power said it was the best built car in India qualitywise. I think where Honda has gone wrong is that the price has not been maintained over the years and also some people are of the view point in our country that even if you drive 4000 or 8000 kms a year a Diesel car is better than a Petrol car and thats why they ignored the product.

Being a Honda it was expected to be priced above the competition and a part of the criticism of the built to cost dashboard and headrest and lack of rear windscreen wiper and the glass hatch door are signs of cost cutting. In my opinion i love the glass hatch door it reminds me of my long gone Maruti 800 and it makes me feel nostalgic.

Honda should not have given the same dashboard to mobilio and the amaze it should have kept a few differences which wouldve helped them differentiate and also the customers happy. I personally initially thought Brio has a tiny boot but i realised its for people who have 2 or 3 cars and need a small car to just ferry humans and not luggage.

Jazz has enough cost cutting already in my opinion anymore and it will be bare bones and flimsy like a Maruti. They have been greedy with the Jazz pricing, everybody wants to make profits including Honda. Market will teach them a lesson if they deserve it. Not including Magic Seats across the board is a big big mistake in my opinion. I also am not a fan of too many variants of a model. There should be 3 max in my opinion.

Next Gen Brio or whatever they call it is not going to be as quality product as current gen, expect jazz type cost cutting.

I had a Hyundai i10 which felt modern and feature specced with Sunroof etc but mechanically too many problems over the years and expensive. Honda Brio has been smooth sailing and feels much more the car i should have bought earlier instead of the i10. Brio has been underrated and deserves recognition.

Last edited by M00M : 31st January 2016 at 23:28.
Old 1st February 2016, 00:42   #1522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

It does lack on a lot of important points where competetion is much better at - namely space, practicality, fuel efficiency etc.

In my opinion Brio excels in all the departments especially the ones which you have mentioned above.

Space - the cabin space of Brio is more than enough to carry 4 or even 5 people comfortably. I own a Polo which looks much bigger than Brio but it cannot accomodate the 3rd passenger, forget 4 and 5.
Yes, the boot space is definitely less and one should not buy a Brio if boot space is a priority.

Practicality - this car has excellent visibility, lots of power (weak low end though), lovely steering wheel and most importantly a very small turning radius, so much so that my sister who primarily uses the brio for her city commute says that the Polo feels like a truck while manoeuvring.

Fuel efficiency - I believe the ivtec engine is as efficient or maybe more efficient than other engines with similar power output (eg : 1.2L K series engine in swift or 1.2L kappa engine in i10/grand i10)

The only thing that bothers me in this car is the rear end of this car which is very bumpy and gets unsettled easily even at very low speeds and weak AC (those huge windows allow a lot of sunlight inside the car)
Old 8th February 2016, 20:22   #1523
BHPian

Hi All,

How much does it cost for the rear bumper patch work/replacement.
A Maruthi 800 guy just rammed into me on a traffic signal. To my surprise Brio took the impact on its bumper alone without the rear glass cracking. The 800 front was damaged and it's bonet was wide open.
Old 9th February 2016, 11:46   #1524
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyman_46 View Post
How much does it cost for the rear bumper patch work/replacement.
A Maruthi 800 guy just rammed into me on a traffic signal. To my surprise Brio took the impact on its bumper alone without the rear glass cracking. The 800 front was damaged and it's bonet was wide open.
Just shows the relative toughness of the M800 and the Brio!
I do not know but based on my experience i would expect between 5000 and 8000 for a replacement, incl. painting.
Old 9th February 2016, 13:03   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just shows the relative toughness of the M800 and the Brio!
With all due respect sir, I think you are insulting the Brio by comparing it to a car which was already a 4 year old model when it was launched in India 33 years ago!
Old 20th February 2016, 20:02   #1526
BHPian

In my Brio S MT, there seems to be a problem with the gearbox. Shifting into second from third is a pain. It's almost like the gearbox is resisting the change. Same case from second to first gear. It's my daily drive and its very irritating especially in traffic (90% of my commute) What is causing this? I read somewhere that around 5000 kms, the gearbox "loosens" up or something. Since my daily running is not much (2000 kms done till date),5000 kms is a long way ahead and I don't intend on waiting so long. It has been serviced thrice till now. I drive other cars too and none of them give me this kind of problem. Is it a Honda thing or just a defective part?

Last edited by Impala59 : 20th February 2016 at 20:04.
Old 21st February 2016, 09:00   #1527
BANNED

@Impala59; I think you take it up with the HASS the next time you for for a service or even ealrier. The gearbox 'opens up' but should not be that baulky.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 14:46   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala59 View Post
Shifting into second from third is a pain. It's almost like the gearbox is resisting the change. Same case from second to first gear.
My Brio has done 8000km and I still have this issue. The service guys say its common to all Brio's/Amaze - not sure about that though, because I have read in some ownership reviews that the gearshift action is slick after 5K kms or so.

Service guys have done an 'oil spray' on the gearbox a couple of times which of course didn't make any difference. I have found out that pressing the clutch fully when shifting gears helps somewhat. Overall very unhappy with Brio's gearshift quality.
heavenlybull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:42   #1529
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
My Brio has done 8000km and the service guys say its common to all Brio's/Amaze - not sure about that though.
That's certainly not true. I experienced a slight notchiness initially but after the 5k mark the shift quality improved and was slick. Currently at ~25k kms, its like a hot knife through butter.

Quote:
Service guys have done an 'oil spray' on the gearbox a couple of times which of course didn't make any difference. I have found out that pressing the clutch fully when shifting gears helps somewhat. Overall very unhappy with Brio's gearshift quality.
Spraying oil won't solve the problem. Ask them to check the gear synchronizers for any damage which will be covered under warranty. You have to always depress the clutch fully before shifting gears. Half-clutch shifting is not recommended as it will wear out the gearbox fast.
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:21   #1530
BHPian

Quote:
My Brio has done 8000km and I still have this issue. The service guys say its common to all Brio's/Amaze - not sure about that though, because I have read in some ownership reviews that the gearshift action is slick after 5K kms or so.

Never do half shift, perhaps the problem you are facing is due to your own doing.

I have not faced shifting issues - infact i love shifting gears on Brio, its super slick!

Ofcourse, if you are above a certain speed it wont allow you to shift to 1st gear (this is a safety feature), but shifting to 2nd from 3rd is not an issue for me.

I have less than 2000 km.

Last edited by aerohit : 22nd February 2016 at 11:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks