Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 18:27   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: buying a 530d msport need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniksta View Post
I have given the booking amount for the 530d msport, apparently it's tuned for 15 more HP than the regular 530d which apparently translates into 10% better performance according to the guy in the dealership.

Should i switch to 19inch regular tires from the regular 18" run flats ?
If yes, then should i do this through the dealer or does anyone know a good place in Mumbai for rims and tyres. The car will be self driven so im not too bothered about rear seat ride quality.

I keep hearing, through the dealers, about a tuning mod which takes my HP to 290, apparently done by BMW dealers themselves so it doesnt affect warranty etc. However i don't know if this is true or if he was just trying to sell me the car. Does anybody know about this?

I really dont like the rough texture of Alcantara, has anyone with a premium car got seats re-upholstered from stanley leather? I prefer Napa leather for it's soft texture.
The "M-Sport Package" (or "Line" in current BMW speak) is essentially an aerodynamic body-kit with passive sports suspension (unless you go in for active control by selecting Dynamic Damper Control / Dynamic Handling package, etc. - I'm not sure whether these are offered in India).
M-Sport doesn't increase engine HP.

Yes, 19" wheels will fill out the wheel-well gaps better. I'd recommend swapping out the run-flats with 18" regular tires as the ride will get too bouncy on Mumbai roads - but you'll be the better judge.

My experience is more with BMW USA than BMW India, so I'm not aware that they offer alcantara trimmed seats (usually it's only an alcantara steering wheel or shift & handbrake boots). Here, they usually have dakota or nappa leather as choices.

As far as I'm aware BMW has a "Performance Power Kit" for a few 3-Series models that increases engine power by about 20hp but this isn't offered across the range.
The tune you're hearing about is probably an aftermarket one - and there are plenty of those.
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 19:25   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know this might be too early to start modifying but im really excited (i need to do SOMETHING before my car arrives)
Take a vacation in Germany and enjoy the Autobahn till your car arrives.

Quote:
If yes, then should i do this through the dealer or does anyone know a good place in Mumbai for rims and tyres. The car will be self driven so im not too bothered about rear seat ride quality.
Switch to regular tubeless. Ride with 19" will be difficult to live with in India even if you drive single and on urban highways. Dont forget to buy a puncture repair kit. Search the forum for direct owner posts regarding the same.

Quote:
I keep hearing, through the dealers, about a tuning mod which takes my HP to 290, apparently done by BMW dealers themselves so it doesnt affect warranty etc. However i don't know if this is true or if he was just trying to sell me the car. Does anybody know about this?
The stock power is really enjoyable with near 6 seconds to the ton. Dont mess with the electronics. If you still cant resist, get a tuning box to see if you like it, which is more like plug and plug. Dont think of remaps.

Quote:
Should i get the BMW BSi package? and BMW Assured insurance cover?
More than the monetary aspect, buy only the BSI for peace of mind.

Quote:
I really dont like the rough texture of Alcantara, has anyone with a premium car got seats re-upholstered from stanley leather? I prefer Napa leather for it's soft texture.
If believe BMW seats also do have some electronics involved. Learn to live with it or get a regular luxury seat from BMW itself if such a pe-configured car is available.

Quote:
Also, my car is Carbon Black, is it worthwhile calling a detailer like carsalon to get a polymer coating put on it right from the get go?
Dont do anything over the stock paint.

Congrats on your purchase.

Last edited by dipen : 15th October 2013 at 19:26.
dipen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 19:49   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi guys, needed to upgrade from my w204 c250, the BMW dealers in Mumbai were giving a decent deal on the 530d sport as the new facelift has/is just launched.

I had the chance to borrow my friends 530d for a week and really liked it, coming from a v6 c 250 the difference in power was massive. Although the 5 series felt a lot bulkier to handle than the c class, i got used to it by the 4th day and was equally comfortable in it.

I have given the booking amount for the 530d msport, apparently it's tuned for 15 more HP than the regular 530d which apparently translates into 10% better performance according to the guy in the dealership.

My questions to my fellow TEAM BHP'ians who are infinitely smarter wiser and smarter than me are as follows:

I know this might be too early to start modifying but im really excited (i need to do SOMETHING before my car arrives)

Should i get the BMW BSi package? and BMW Assured insurance cover?

Also, my car is Carbon Black, is it worthwhile calling a detailer like carsalon to get a polymer coating put on it right from the get go?

I hope i've posted this in the right forum, thanks for all the help.
Thats a brilliant choice. I hear the pre fl 530d M sport is available for just about 50l on road, is that true?

There is no regular 530d, since the M sport was launched. The tuning has been 258bhp since January 2012 when the HUD and Navigation was added. The dealer is telling you nonsense.

Honestly, for Mumbai roads the 18s are more than enough. With 19s the tyre profile will be too low, and you will be worrying more than enjoying the car. Personally I think the ride is acceptable on the newer runflats, but if you do want a softer ride switch to tubeless. Do keep in mind the M sport runs 235s on the front, and 275s on the rear so a switch may cost you a bit.

Personally I would just change the M sport rims for some nice BBS or something similar. It will look killer and still be practical.

Yes I too had heard BMW were coming out with a power kit for the 30d engines. Do get more details from them, and a price if possible. You don't need to get this now. Use the car for a few months then get this if you find anything lacking.

Alcantara? Where is any alcantara in the M sport? Its all leather right? Or is the rooflining in alcantara?

No need to get anything done to the car right now. Though with black you will need a polish every 6 months at the most to keep it looking great.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 22:37   #79
BHPian

BSI get it don't think twice, if your going to drive hard you going to cause a lot of normal wear and tear including frequent brake pads changes for free. And probably your going to bring down the service interval significantly.

runflats a space saver spare, puncture kit and a portable air compressor your good to go.

Remap as suggested by akshay.
abishek2222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 11:36   #80

Thanks for all your helpful comments guys. Much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Take a vacation in Germany and enjoy the Autobahn till your car arrives.
I wish i could, i forgot to mention that im spending every last bit of my savings and then some to buy this car so i'm going to have to breath in that lovely BMW smell as meal replacements for a while!
Old 16th October 2013, 11:44   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thats a brilliant choice. I hear the pre fl 530d M sport is available for just about 50l on road, is that true?

There is no regular 530d, since the M sport was launched. The tuning has been 258bhp since January 2012 when the HUD and Navigation was added. The dealer is telling you nonsense.

Honestly, for Mumbai roads the 18s are more than enough. With 19s the tyre profile will be too low, and you will be worrying more than enjoying the car. Personally I think the ride is acceptable on the newer runflats, but if you do want a softer ride switch to tubeless. Do keep in mind the M sport runs 235s on the front, and 275s on the rear so a switch may cost you a bit.

Personally I would just change the M sport rims for some nice BBS or something similar. It will look killer and still be practical.

Yes I too had heard BMW were coming out with a power kit for the 30d engines. Do get more details from them, and a price if possible. You don't need to get this now. Use the car for a few months then get this if you find anything lacking.

Alcantara? Where is any alcantara in the M sport? Its all leather right? Or is the rooflining in alcantara?

No need to get anything done to the car right now. Though with black you will need a polish every 6 months at the most to keep it looking great.
Thanks Akshay,

No unfortunately i'm not getting it for 50l on road, i wish i was, the best i have got is 58 on road, Mumbai registration. This is for a 2013 chassis, or so im told.

As advised will wait for a while before doing anything to wheels. If the ride is too uncomfortable on RFT's then will switch later to regular tubeless tires. Will start looking for rims, since my car is carbon black i want to see what darker rims would look like, although i'm scared my car might end up looking like a boy racer/ bollywood/ drugdealer mobile. But i still think black rims would look cool, my wife might think im crazy.

Sorry, you're right, i meant Dakota leather not Alcantara. I just find that Dakota leather isnt smooth enough, it looks a little cheap, especially around the edges where i feel the fit and finish just isn't what it should be in a bmw. But i guess the Germans dont give us options in India.

Thanks again
Old 16th October 2013, 12:17   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Akshay,

No unfortunately i'm not getting it for 50l on road, i wish i was, the best i have got is 58 on road, Mumbai registration. This is for a 2013 chassis, or so im told.

As advised will wait for a while before doing anything to wheels. If the ride is too uncomfortable on RFT's then will switch later to regular tubeless tires. Will start looking for rims, since my car is carbon black i want to see what darker rims would look like, although i'm scared my car might end up looking like a boy racer/ bollywood/ drugdealer mobile. But i still think black rims would look cool, my wife might think im crazy.

Sorry, you're right, i meant Dakota leather not Alcantara. I just find that Dakota leather isnt smooth enough, it looks a little cheap, especially around the edges where i feel the fit and finish just isn't what it should be in a bmw. But i guess the Germans dont give us options in India.

Thanks again
Which dealer is this? I am sure there would be some more scope for negotiations. Otherwise consider getting it registered outside Mumbai, you will save a few lacs straight away.

Carbon black is a nice colour. Again I think you should look at a brand like BBS http://pjspeedshop.com/ContactUs.htm Speak to them. It will look great man.

Changing the Dakota leather will be a difficult. I would suggest you just use it for a while, and then see if you get used to it or not. The texture is rough, but the leather is decently soft.
Old 5th January 2014, 20:23   #83
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d : Test Drive & Review

Anybody got the Facelifted 530d ?
Need some inputs on the Service and Maintenance of the 530d.
Old 2nd March 2014, 17:27   #84
BHPian

I just came across this thread today because i was particularly bored and thought i will read a car review. OMG!! This review by Rehaan and the one about 525d by GTO has made me drool all over ! I just cant get the F10 out of my head ! Awesome reviews by Rehaan and GTO.

I guess I have to add a 5er to my future car wishlist even though it might take a while and a lot of hardwork to own one in the future.

Well i have a little doubt. I dint quite get completely how the Full Black Panel Display works. Are the numbers of the speedo and tacho part of the dispay or is it just the lower part of the dials. If its only lower part then how is it that the numbers are not seen when the instrument cluster is not active?

Thanks in Advance
Old 4th March 2014, 16:09   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazonater1911 View Post
I just cant get the F10 out of my head !
Well, if you're an F10 fan, then don't miss the F10 M5 Review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazonater1911 View Post
Are the numbers of the speedo and tacho part of the dispay or is it just the lower part of the dials. If its only lower part then how is it that the numbers are not seen when the instrument cluster is not active?
Good question. I think the dial numbers are backlit (and hence not visible when not lit up). They are not part of the LCD. The LCD itself is a very long and not-very-high strip at the bottom.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2014, 23:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Good question. I think the dial numbers are backlit (and hence not visible when not lit up). They are not part of the LCD. The LCD itself is a very long and not-very-high strip at the bottom.

cya
R
In the new 530D M Sport, the entire display is LED. Which means if you are on Comfort mode, you get Analog Meters (like earlier) but displayed in LCD, but if you switch to Sports mode, you get a large numeric display (like in the Honda Civic) on the same screen.

I am seriously considering buying the 530D, but one of the reasons I keep getting turned off is the crazy no. of bought-on-discount 520D's on the road which look pretty much the same as 530D's to the layman.

You know how it is in Delhi, people be like OMG! why you bought a 5 Series ! should have bought the Jaguar XF !!
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 11:00   #87
BANNED

Guys, my colleague is looking forward to picking up an used BMW 530D from Bangalore. Is it possible to get a complete checkup done on the car from BMW Bangalore (Navnit Motors)? Or is there a third party garage which can do a proper checkup on the car, any recommendation?
Old 19th January 2015, 11:09   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Guys, my colleague is looking forward to picking up an used BMW 530D from Bangalore. Is it possible to get a complete checkup done on the car from BMW Bangalore (Navnit Motors)? Or is there a third party garage which can do a proper checkup on the car, any recommendation?
I believe the dealerships do provide a service history check up for a fee. Best way to find out is to call them.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 14:54   #89
Team-BHP Support

So it seems the dynamic damper adjustment has been silently deleted from the 530d a few years ago. Which is very sad, and a stupid move by BMW. I remember experiencing it in one of the first cars, and was very impressed. And I know have it on my X3 and it is just great. But seems BMW thought it was not needed for the enthusiast. Sad, Sad move by BMW.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 16:28   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
So it seems the dynamic damper adjustment has been silently deleted from the 530d a few years ago. Which is very sad, and a stupid move by BMW. I remember experiencing it in one of the first cars, and was very impressed. And I know have it on my X3 and it is just great. But seems BMW thought it was not needed for the enthusiast. Sad, Sad move by BMW.
Please disregard this post. The 530d does very much have adaptive damping!
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed