Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2011, 15:16   #46
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The beam, Coil spring, shock absorber, brake lines and brake drum are all there. Maybe it is looks empty due to the missing End Can.
I am not sure but anti-roll bar is not visible, generally companies don't put this on economy cars?
Old 12th September 2011, 15:33   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

2) Swift Dzire vs etios D vs Manza D : Of all the three cars, overall Dzire will be most fun to drive mainly due to engine. Agreed that the softened suspension is not that good for corners, yet is better than Mazna for high speed dynamics. The most capable performer seems to be dzire which does not feel strained above 130 kmph, a speed where Manza would say to driver " relax ".
I am surprised, I own a manza myself and I felt it to be quite surefooted at speeds of 130-145, and the braking was very confidence inspiring. This is was on a smooth 4 lane highway and the car also had abs and obviously stock tyres.

I havent driven the Dzire but having driven the swift d on stock tyres in similar road conditions, i was quite apprehensive about the handling, and i assume that the dzire is similar to swift in terms of on road behaviour. Please correct me if im wrong.

On another note, I felt the NVH on the Etios Petrol to be quite high, and its amusing to know that there is a good chance that a new Etios D could be having lower NVH than some of the earlier Etios Petrols.

cheers!
sai
Old 12th September 2011, 15:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
1) I am surprised, I own a manza myself and I felt it to be quite surefooted at speeds of 130-145, and the braking was very confidence inspiring. This is was on a smooth 4 lane highway and the car also had abs and obviously stock tyres.

I havent driven the Dzire but having driven the swift d on stock tyres in similar road conditions, i was quite apprehensive about the handling, and i assume that the dzire is similar to swift in terms of on road behaviour. Please correct me if im wrong.

2) On another note, I felt the NVH on the Etios Petrol to be quite high, and its amusing to know that there is a good chance that a new Etios D could be having lower NVH than some of the earlier Etios Petrols.

cheers!
sai
1) Manza does not like being driven enthusiastically. Dzire can tolerate that due to superior chassis dynamics. Some amount of skittish-ness was present in Swift, but once past that things were entertaining and involving.

But the biggest thing is engine : The engine seems to be more enthusiastic and eager in Dzire. That the reason for my word " Relax ". Manza is a good family car, but Dzire is not as ponderous. Manza is overtly soft IMO.

2) As mentioned by Vid6639 in this review, the diesel is getting additional sound deadening. Petrol version is not having that. May be thats the reason why.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 16:13   #49
BHPian

Excellent crisp review. Thanks a ton!

The car has a lot of promise going by the positives. IMO, none of the negatives is exactly a deal breaker for the aam aadmi. My perception of the negatives:
  • NVH appears to have been managed reasonably well inside the cabine. Not many would bother about the high decibels beyond 3k rpm, if one gets linear power delivery with minimal turbo lag and a speed of 100 kmph @2200 rpm. Also, I'm sure, and as vid has also stated, the noise level will come down once the engine is properly run in. Ditto is happening in petrol Etios too.
  • Pricing appears reasonable.
  • The plain vanilla styling has been growing on me of late. Maybe it's owner's bias?! But Etios is even making the similar but ugly rear of Logan/Verito look more palatable! Wonder if Etios is helping Verito find greater acceptance as being reflected it the latter's recent sales figures!
  • Etios P success has already proven that the junta is ok with interiors and and other design quirks, not to mention the lack of equipment.
All in all, the Etios D & P duo together appears to be one potential game-changer in the segment. Toyota now ought to focus on the following:
  • Keep the promise of quality and deliver an absolutely niggle-free typically Toyota car. Surprisingly, quality has become a concern in case of Etios going by some of the user reviews including that of mine. Toyota just cannot afford to lose out on its USP. It needs to clear the air fast!
  • Expand the network and reach out!
Over to you Toyota, to turn a potential game-changer into an absolute winner!

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 12th September 2011 at 16:21.
RadiantKarma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 16:22   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The gearing is shorter than the Fiesta/Figo. I haven't driven a Verito/Logan in a long time so I'm not really that sure.

RPM in 5th gear at 100kph was close to 2200rpm.
If i remember it right Fiesta Classic does 100kph close to 2500rpm, you said the gearing is shorter in Etios. Were you talking about just the lower gears?
Old 12th September 2011, 16:26   #51
Team-BHP Support

Sorry that was a typo. What I meant was the gearing is shorter in the Fiesta and Figo compared to the Etios. The Etios has slightly taller ratios.

ps: Edited my earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
If i remember it right Fiesta Classic does 100kph close to 2500rpm, you said the gearing is shorter in Etios. Were you talking about just the lower gears?
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 16:27   #52
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I observe that Mahindra Verito is not a competition to these three sedans?
Just wondering whether it is because of its "taxi" tag or for some other reason(s)?
A very valid point. As a community of petrol/diesel heads who prides itself in calling a spade a spade we should objectively look at all the competitors. And not get biased by superfluous criteria like "image".
Old 12th September 2011, 16:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

I still maintain my stance on the Etios, even this diesel. There is nothing about this car that excites me.
For starters, the Altis engine has been plonked in this one. Does it make sense to buy an Altis Diesel now? Espcially when you are getting the same engine at half the price! Then comes the NVH post 3000 rpm. If the car doesnt like going past 3000 rpm, why the diesel engine in the first place? Arent diesel cars their best in that range?

But then going by Toyota's recepie of success, these cars are meant for those who want a no nonsense practical daily drive. So, good on ya Toyota. This aint for me though.

Great review there Vid. 5 stars all the way.
Old 12th September 2011, 16:48   #54
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
I still maintain my stance on the Etios, even this diesel. There is nothing about this car that excites me.

+1 Swanand. The theme of "built to a cost" is taking things too far. This will be a the first car without a silencer muffler near the tail pipe. The conditions of our road are bad, hence I guess in the long run we should have complaints on the door rattles in the absence of rubber beadings on the car.

I would have frankly preferred Toyota taking on the Verna, Vento , Honda City with their Yaris. India deserves a car in this class from Toyota.

The aspirations of India has changed much, as we are now a nation of spenders not a nation of savers. Toyota must understand that Indians will spend if they perceive that the price paid for the given quality is acceptable.

Let us watch the sales figures over the next few months.

Cheers

KPS
Old 12th September 2011, 17:42   #55
Senior - BHPian

Just came across this article in Zigwheels & was like dumbstruck to read that the diesel avatar of Etios is sporting a 3 pot engine. Have we missed something in the review or is this a grave mistake by Zigwheels?

Quote from Zigwheels: self contradictory
"The launch of two of the most anticipated mass market diesel cars from the Toyota stables is now a reality. The Toyota Etios sedan and the Liva hatchback model will now be available to customers in their new 1.4 litre D-4D 4-cylinder engine versions.

Toned down for more suitable driving conditions, the three-pot diesel on the Etios twins churns out 68 PS @ 3800rpm and 170 Nm @ 1800-2400rpm."

Toyota Etios / Liva Diesels Launched| Zigwheels.com
Old 12th September 2011, 18:25   #56
Senior - BHPian

A very well written review, Vid. Rating a well deserved 5 stars!

Regarding the handling of Dzire a few posts before, I can say this : I own one and it definitely is not for spirited driving. Its a simple point A to point B commute car. There is too much body roll in the car and a broken road is the rear occupant's worst nightmare. Its more like a split personality; amazing on tarmac, ugly on broken roads.
Old 12th September 2011, 18:29   #57
BHPian

Its a contradictory statement.
The same quote also says "1.4 litre D-4D 4-cylinder engine versions" which would mean 4 pots. It has to be 4 cylinders.
Old 12th September 2011, 18:39   #58
Senior - BHPian

Very nice review.

Btw, I have a feeling that this is going to be the next winner in the Taxi segment.

Good move by Toyota. They have definitely learned Indian customer mind.
Old 12th September 2011, 19:18   #59
BANNED

There is not even one redeeming feature that stands out in Etios which shouts 'cheap' from every body panel. We tout practicality but in my view Tata Manza is as practical if not more, has more equipments, looks better, has a better engine and in all probability will be more safer in case of a crash (passive safety).
Throughly underwhelming car especially disappointing when you consider all the other Toyota's are pretty good in their own right.
Old 12th September 2011, 21:08   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
If the car doesnt like going past 3000 rpm, why the diesel engine in the first place? Arent diesel cars their best in that range?
I don't get that point. Diesel Engines are not meant to be revved. Diesel engines are good when driven in their torque band. For revving, petrol engines are always the best bet. And the Etios does have more than adequate torque from 1800 till 3000 ( as GTO rightly told, where people, especially what the segment demands drive their car 99% of the time )

And the tall gearing of the Etios seems to really suite the engine. As per vid, the engine is revving at just 2200 rpm even at 100 kmph. That means the engine is relaxed as well as in the peak torque band ( 1800 to 2400 for Etios ) when it's cruising at 100 kmph. I think, this engine in combination with the tall gearing is going to be a winner. Eagerly waiting to try a test drive myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Just came across this article in Zigwheels & was like dumbstruck to read that the diesel avatar of Etios is sporting a 3 pot engine. Have we missed something in the review or is this a grave mistake by Zigwheels?

Quote from Zigwheels: self contradictory
"The launch of two of the most anticipated mass market diesel cars from the Toyota stables is now a reality. The Toyota Etios sedan and the Liva hatchback model will now be available to customers in their new 1.4 litre D-4D 4-cylinder engine versions.

Toned down for more suitable driving conditions, the three-pot diesel on the Etios twins churns out 68 PS @ 3800rpm and 170 Nm @ 1800-2400rpm."

Toyota Etios / Liva Diesels Launched| Zigwheels.com
I watched the Diesel Launch of the Etios live and can confirm that it's a 4 cylinder engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Sorry that was a typo. What I meant was the gearing is shorter in the Fiesta and Figo compared to the Etios. The Etios has slightly taller ratios.

ps: Edited my earlier post.
Wow, 2200 rpm @ 100kmph is as tall a gearing as the Esteem. Good that Toyota did not make the gear ratios short like the Etios Petrol. Cruising @ 100 to 120 kmph on this engine should be relaxing.

Also attaching the Etios Diesel's Torque Curve ( Courtesy - Toyota Website )

The torque curve looks exciting providing more than adequate torque from very low rpm range. No wonder why the reviewers found the engine very driveable.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review-etios-diesel-torque-curve.jpg  

Last edited by amalji : 12th September 2011 at 21:21.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks