Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2013, 15:41   #346
AWD
BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I'm not sure how this becomes a tragedy.

It's the same with the Etios Diesel as well. I know 'real' Etios/Liva owners - almost all on team-bhp and good chunk in facebook Etios community. No: of users affected by this = 0 as of now from all these users.
Its a tragedy for who are struck, others can make hay!

Most of the owners themselves won't come to know because their cars are brimmed at service.

I remember having had this conversation with you earlier too, there's no point in taking more Community space.
Old 12th February 2013, 22:07   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The launch is for the 1500 cc Petrol Version only!
This is real cool. I always felt the Liva Petrol as under powered. With the 1.5 engine, the Liva Petrol would be one of the hottest hatches to drive around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I remember having had this conversation with you earlier too, there's no point in taking more Community space.
Good for the community.

Last edited by amalji : 12th February 2013 at 22:14.
Old 13th February 2013, 11:01   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASVA View Post
Hello everyone!

I am posting on behalf of two friends of mine. Both of them own Toyota Liva Diesel, 2011 manufactured cars bought in Jan/Feb 2012. Both are facing issues of dipping engine oil levels.

Have any Liva Diesel owners faced any such similar problem?

ASVA
After seeing your post checked the oil level in my Liva Diesel today. At 8450 km, the oil level is 2 mm less than top mark. This should be normal, isn't it? For any car petrol or diesel.
My first oil change is due after another 1550 kilometer and I should be happily cruising through.
Old 13th February 2013, 11:52   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
After seeing your post checked the oil level in my Liva Diesel today. At 8450 km, the oil level is 2 mm less than top mark. This should be normal, isn't it? For any car petrol or diesel.
My first oil change is due after another 1550 kilometer and I should be happily cruising through.
Thank you subratasenn,for your response.
Well, wt u have said worries me more. Could it be a problem specific to their cars or a small batch of cars? Will let them know of the replies given here.
Thanks again.
Regards
Old 13th February 2013, 13:51   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Wanted to post it here. Nippon Toyota, Kottayam has a black V-D or VX-D Etios from 2012 batch and I was told they are offering a 40K discount on it. The SA I dealt with said he "thinks" the car was from Oct / Nov batch - I could NOT confirm it. If anyone is interested, please have a check with them. If you need the SA's number, please PM me.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th February 2013 at 13:52.
Old 13th February 2013, 15:11   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASVA View Post
Hello everyone!

I am posting on behalf of two friends of mine. Both of them own Toyota Liva Diesel, 2011 manufactured cars bought in Jan/Feb 2012. Both are facing issues of dipping engine oil levels.

Have any Liva Diesel owners faced any such similar problem?

Had a quick glance thru this entire thread, but couldn't find anything related to oil eating issues except for a mention by BHPian AWD.

Would appreciate any respone/suggestion to this problem

Regards
ASVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
& the tragedy strikes! My reports are never wrong!

Im dead sure about the problem in Altis diesels, these cars share the engines & hence I remained concerned.
One of my close friends having a Liva Diesel is facing the same issue and is arguing his case with Service stations at Toyota to sort this issue out from over an year. Lot of technical discussions have taken place and still they are not willing to accept this issue. I have invited him to this thread and maybe can link you guys up if you are interested. PM me to take this forward.

Last edited by redrage : 13th February 2013 at 15:14.
redrage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 16:00   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
One of my close friends having a Liva Diesel is facing the same issue and is arguing his case with Service stations at Toyota to sort this issue out from over an year. Lot of technical discussions have taken place and still they are not willing to accept this issue. I have invited him to this thread and maybe can link you guys up if you are interested. PM me to take this forward.
Could we get the VIN details of these guys who are facing this issue? This would help us know whether these cars have anything in common with respect to manufacturing time. Since a lot more are NOT having any oil dip issues, it could be a problem with some specific batch of components.
Old 13th February 2013, 16:19   #353
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
One of my close friends having a Liva Diesel is facing the same issue and is arguing his case with Service stations at Toyota to sort this issue out from over an year. Lot of technical discussions have taken place and still they are not willing to accept this issue.
I came to know about this problem/issue long time back & thought it to be my duty to make everyone aware over here too. Many were not ready to understand/accept, its ok with me. Some said because its Toyota, nothing of this sort can ever happen.

My sources & contacts gave me 100% correct info. & lot of Altis owners had this problem. I thought it would be replicated in the Liva/Etios also because these cars share the same engine.

One of my friends Altis siezed on way, another keeps a Can of Engine Oil in the boot at all times & yet another's engine was replaced by Toyota but the problem still persists in the new engine too. Toyota menchanics/engineers themselves told me to avoid the car as there was a big issue. Most 2nd dealers in Town & neighbouring places are aware of the issue & thus resale value is low. I was also told by Toyota people that they were given directive by Toyota that whichever Altis comes for service, check the engine oil levels & brim them up if levels are low. Ofcourse owners were kept in dark.
AWD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 17:07   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for responding redrage!
WOW! this is getting interesting. My friend too had a long round of talks/arguments spanning a few days with the technicians at the Toyota Service Center without any satisfactory reply/solution. He finally gave up as he had to travel abroad. Will definitely PM you as soon as he is back in the country. In the meanwhile, will try getting the VIN number of his car. We can compare it to the VIN of ur friends car and see if they belong to the same batch of manufacturing and if they have anything in common.
Regards
Old 16th February 2013, 13:11   #355
Senior - BHPian

Toyota vs Maruti vs Ford Maintenance cost comparison

Every time, I take my car to the service center, I get surprised by the low bills that I get on both my Etios and my mother's Liva. I decided to do a research on the reason for that and this is what I came up with.

Comparison is with Ford and Maruti

Thank you Toyota for still adhering to your durability standards that you set long back.

Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-maintenance.jpg

PS: I've copied the other manufacturer's service intervals from user manuals found on my friend's cars. If there is any correction that is needed, feel free to do so. I'll modify my image accordingly.

Last edited by amalji : 16th February 2013 at 13:17.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 13:24   #356
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota vs Maruti vs Ford Maintenance cost comparison

Quote:
Every time, I take my car to the service center, I get surprised by the low bills that I get on both my Etios and my mother's Liva. I decided to do a research on the reason for that and this is what I came up with.

Thank you Toyota for still adhering to your durability standards that you set long back. .
Thanks for sharing the comparo Amalji. No doubt why the fleet owners have such an affinity for Toyota cars, ultra reliable & very low on maintenance. Though the upfront price of Innova is high, the long term running & maintetance cost would be one of the lowest in the segment & that matters the most for many.

Undoubtedly the part replacement intervals are much longer & the spares are priced quite reasonably, but how does Toyota fare when it comes to labor charges? Are those too on the lower side compared to others in the segment?
Old 16th February 2013, 20:18   #357
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you Toyota for still adhering to your durability standards that you set long back.

Attachment 1051861

PS: I've copied the other manufacturer's service intervals from user manuals found on my friend's cars. If there is any correction that is needed, feel free to do so. I'll modify my image accordingly.
I think you have compared Figo/Swift Diesel to Liva Petrol Amalji sir. Fuel filter of Etios/Liva petrol is good till 80000 kms (thats for all petrol cars anyway). For previous year service costs of Toyota vehicles till 1.6 Lakh kms please see this post of mine:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2845773.

Currently, prices have risen. I will update as soon as diesel our family's Altis goes and comes back from service (Its service is due at end of this month).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Undoubtedly the part replacement intervals are much longer & the spares are priced quite reasonably, but how does Toyota fare when it comes to labor charges? Are those too on the lower side compared to others in the segment?
Toyota labor rates are indeed low w.r.t. European manufacturers like VW but are comparable to Honda, Ford and Maruti (we currently own a Honda, Toyota Altis, Jetta, Ford Figo, Scorp and some oldies like Zen and Esteem in my family. So that's why I have some idea about the service costs of these manufacturers). In respective segments the parts prices of Toyota are comparable to their rivals. For e.g. Altis spares are priced almost at par with Jetta spares. Toyota's parts durability is touted better (However as such we have not faced any issues with the Jetta TDi also which is 2 year old and has done about 25000 kms - mostly highways). If by chance there is some part failure in a Toyota (especially Altis, Innova and higher Toyotas) it will really burn a deep hole in our pockets.

Last edited by sarthakgupta : 16th February 2013 at 20:38.
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 20:54   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
I think you have compared Figo/Swift Diesel to Liva Petrol Amalji sir. Fuel filter of Etios/Liva petrol is good till 80000 kms (thats for all petrol cars anyway). For previous year service costs of Toyota vehicles till 1.6 Lakh kms please see this post of mine:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2845773.
  1. Comparisons involves Etios Diesel ( not Petrol ). Everything is taken from my manual.
  2. With fuel filters, I went wrong. 80,000 is for Petrol. But, no replacement interval is mentioned for the Diesel Fuel Filters as well. When I inquired about it, the information I got was that it is equipped with Lifetime fuel filter from Denso and hence doesn't need to be replaced till the fuel flow sensor detects a lowering of fuel flow pressure .
  3. The prices you gave on the Corolla service doesn't match that of the Etios. Etios 10,000 service costed around 1,800 and the 20,000 around 2,200 odd ( if we use mineral oil )

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The per hour charges might be a bit higher. But, it's negated by the following.

1. All it takes to complete the periodic service is 2 hours flat. Made possible by simple design, long lasting parts, good processes and well trained staff.

2. Smiles package gives a 50% discount on labor, if the vehicle has to visit the service center in between 2 periodic services. I had to visit the service center to check the status of my brake pads. The labor charge was supposed to be 192. I got it done at a discounted rate of just 96.

3. Smiles pack also gives attractive discounts on wheel alignment and balancing from time to time. In my last service, I got my alignment done free of charge.

Due to these reasons, even the labor charge per service will end up much cheaper than other brands.

Last edited by GTO : 20th February 2013 at 11:22. Reason: Merging both your posts.
Old 17th February 2013, 01:12   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Could we get the VIN details of these guys who are facing this issue? This would help us know whether these cars have anything in common with respect to manufacturing time. Since a lot more are NOT having any oil dip issues, it could be a problem with some specific batch of components.
Well, this could be the solution. While certain hearsays keep adding on in this thread, I have found not a single T-Bhpian facing this issue.

This oil dip issue needs to be addressed if it's real. But so far, it's like all ghost stories we're used to since childhood.

"I haven't seen ghosts, so what? Somebody, who's known to somebody whom I happen to know through somebody has seen a ghost."

As for me, at 9000 km my Liva shows no sign of oil dipping. My second service (the first oil change) is due 1000 km from now.

Haven't seen any ghosts so far.
subratasenn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 12:33   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1051861

2 points to be considered.

Point # 17 : I do NOT remember changing any brake cylinders at 40K or 80K (done very recently) services. I have NO idea what is it, infact.

Point # 18 : You need to update the heading to "NEW" Swift / Dzire / Ritz. Old models of these still run on mineral oil.

Edit:: Air filter replacement for Swift / Dzire / Ritz happen at 10K service intervals, NOT 20K! Please update.

Could you upload a better resolution pic? The wordings on red background is NOT clear enough!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th February 2013 at 12:36. Reason: Added "Edit" portion

Most Viewed