Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2016, 09:36   #451
BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Completed 70k kms (in 4 years 7 months) with my liva recently. When I replaced my WagonR with Liva, i thought of keeping this car for 3-4 years. But after using it for more than 4.5 years, i find no reason to change this car yet. Except for couple of self inflicted repairs, i never had to replace any part including brake pad or clutch so far. I did replace tyres and battery voluntarily, but other than that nothing else.

Average Fuel Efficiency (calculated using full tank method from day one): 19.08kmpl
Average Service Cost (unto and including 70k service): Rs3616
kavensri is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 11:08   #452
BHPian

$$ For the interest of Liva owners $$

The lack of weather seal on Liva doors causes lot of dust to settle on the door frame. In my case on two occasions a lizard was hiding in the gap and when I opened the door, it jumped inside the car. It took a hell lot of effort to get it out.
A month ago was browsing through Ali Express and came across this:-

The item is available at below link:-
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4M-Z...608.0.0.Zd4vbJ

Ordered it and was delivered within one month. No additional duties paid.

Installed it yesterday and the results are very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-seal.jpg  

Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-img_20161107_080202.jpg  

rajivr1612 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 14:54   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
$$ For the interest of Liva owners $$
Installed it yesterday and the results are very good.
Thanks. Any positive impact on the road noise at higher speeds? i.e. on the cabin NVH?
Old 11th November 2016, 11:29   #454
BHPian

Need some advise for my Liva GD insurance renewal which is due by end of this month. I have been renewing the same from DSK Toyota dealer in Pune with their preferred choice. Following is the premium paid for zero-depreciation insurance from the time of purchase. Note that I did not have to claim insurance so far. Now even after availing no-claim-bonus, I could see that my renewal premium has hardly reduced from 2nd year onwards. Can somebody please tell me if I am paying too much of a premium?

2012 (Chola MS): Rs. 21833 (during purchase)
2013 (Chola MS): 16288
2014 (United India): 15874
2015 (United India): 15229
2016 (United India, quoted price): 15265
Old 11th November 2016, 13:27   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Need some advise for my Liva GD insurance renewal which is due by end of this month. I have been renewing the same from DSK Toyota dealer in Pune with their preferred choice. Following is the premium paid for zero-depreciation insurance from the time of purchase. Note that I did not have to claim insurance so far. Now even after availing no-claim-bonus, I could see that my renewal premium has hardly reduced from 2nd year onwards. Can somebody please tell me if I am paying too much of a premium?

2012 (Chola MS): Rs. 21833 (during purchase)
2013 (Chola MS): 16288
2014 (United India): 15874
2015 (United India): 15229
2016 (United India, quoted price): 15265
Even I faced similar dilemma for my 2012 Liva GD.
For the first two years I went with dealer provided insurance. My dealer is Harsha Toyota and insurer was ICICI. It was zero dep bumper to bumper insurance.
For the first two years the premium was in the range of Rs. 16000/-. Like you even I was surprised that there is hardly any reduction in premium for second year.
So from third year onwards I went online and bought a similar plan from Bharati Axa. This one came out to Rs. 9000 odd.
What a massive difference. The change obviously goes to dealer and agent.
When premium payment for third year was nearing I started getting calls from showroom for renewal. Not surprisingly the premium was more or less same like previous years.
I asked the lady why their premium for same product was higher than the one quoted by Bharati Axa. She said something gibberish and that was the end of that.
So my suggestion is to go online and pick a similar plan to your present one but at a competitive rate.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 14:09   #456
BHPian

Quote:
So my suggestion is to go online and pick a similar plan to your present one but at a competitive rate.
Thanks for the suggestion. The only pitfall of buying from outside is that it might take little bit time during insurance claim. But 9K versus 15K is too much of a premium for this. And yes, they give a complimentary car cleaning during renewal .
Old 22nd June 2017, 19:36   #457
BHPian

Dear BHPians, I am glad that I could finally be a part of this enthusiasts’ community along with my first car – 2017 Toyota Etios Liva Dual tone 
When I decided to buy a car, it was TeamBHP that gave me a good insight about different aspects of passenger cars available in India that fits within my budget. So firstly I thank the fellow BHPians for your sincere and accurate reviews in this group.
I had a couple of choices when I started the actual TDs. Fiats (Punto Evo, urban Cross and Aventura), Jazz and Etios Liva- all Diesel. Aventura & Jazz are my favorites still and if I ever have a chance to have 3 vehicles same time (not even in dreams!!! ) I would buy these two for sure. Aventura has a rigid suspension among these three (most probably because of its high ground clearance and off road kind built style) and my wife was not comfortable (we cannot avoid expert’s opinion- married people will understand . Jazz was perfect in all aspects except the maintenance cost- comes around 11k per year which is not something that I couldn’t foresee to fit my pocket ever!! Also the i-DTec is not at all refined and the noise was a little irritating for me.
Lastly we tried Etios Liva- fit correctly in all these scenarios; perfect suspension(TOYOTA has improved it a lot from the initial batch; no thuds and hits really smooth), well enough space for a family hatch, very much competitive maintenance cost (just 4k per year max) and famous reliability & durability of D4D engine. Though the initial cost is on a higher side it would still be compensated in the maintenance cost and the resale value I believe (difference of opinion is there, I know). Design and cluster are the main concerns I’ve seen people expressed against Etios range and I have low priority for those elements, so I could easily decide for Liva. And honestly I would like to retain the car for at least decade- not to look for a sell and upgrade. If at all I plan to get another car I would be holding this for regular commute because it’s so cost effective to maintain. In my opinion “the monthly running average V/s Petrol or Diesel” decision making methodology doesn’t apply for the D4D engine!! Even if you have an average monthly 400k usage you can still rely on this engine unconditionally.

I booked the dual tone VD variant with vermillion red & black combination and got delivery on 7th of June 2017 from Lanson Toyota (Pallikaranai showroom) Chennai. Since then I have driven 600kms in two weeks- it’s my daily commuter for office. So far I am very happy with the performance of Liva except the two things

1. In City traffic it’s really hard to drive in 2nd gear as it touches 20kmph easily without any acceleration so I have to keep it in 1st gear in order to maintain the safe distance.
2. Rear wheel well is so thin that mud, stone or any small objects that hits underneath, the sound easily comes through the cabin and it’s annoying sometimes- any remedy for this?

Though I am trying to follow the drive in procedure, I found that varying RPM is nearly impossible because the moment when it shifted to 4th gear the RPM lowers to 1600-1700 and stays there for the speed range 40-70kmph and I couldn’t rev it higher than that due to road conditions. Otherwise I have to drive in 3rd gear wherein I can vary the RPM to some extent using acceleration.

I would also like to get an advice on my stock audio (It’s a Pioneer made)- it doesn’t come with Rear speakers, which one would be better, to use without an external amp and not too costly? (I am not very keen in listening to music while driving so a decent one without much distortion would work).TOYOTA A.S.S. guys suggested a SONY made for 5400/- along with luggage tray- not tried the sound quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-18952595_10211591673606523_7829562798734481501_n.jpg  

Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-img20170611wa0004.jpg  

Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-img20170611wa0003.jpg  

BKB999 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:02   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB999 View Post
my first car – 2017 Toyota Etios Liva Dual tone 
Congratulations.
Liva has come a long way from the crude car it was. I myself own a 2012 GD (the only variant available at that time).
Last time when I took my car for service I had a chance to sit in the new Liva. The changes are drastic especially on the dashboard. The new meters look great. Center console was never a problem for me. My only concern is that the NVH is on a higher side. How are things on the new one?
If you are planning any accessories just go back a few posts and check out the door weather beading which I have fixed on my car. Since the Liva doesn't come with door beading dust and dirt accumulates on the door frame.
Enjoy your ride.
Thanks,
Rajiv.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:19   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations.
Liva has come a long way from the crude car it was. I myself own a 2012 GD (the only variant available at that time).
Last time when I took my car for service I had a chance to sit in the new Liva. The changes are drastic especially on the dashboard. The new meters look great. Center console was never a problem for me. My only concern is that the NVH is on a higher side. How are things on the new one?
If you are planning any accessories just go back a few posts and check out the door weather beading which I have fixed on my car. Since the Liva doesn't come with door beading dust and dirt accumulates on the door frame.
Enjoy your ride.
Thanks,
Rajiv.
Thank you! 😊
Yes the new Liva is revamped to better interior and it gives a plush feeling with the beige fabric interior- I love it 😍. NVH is pretty except the wheel arch issue as I mentioned. No other external noise comes through to the cabin. As I had a TD on Jazz and Fiat all models Diesel engines, I could see a big difference in NVH in Liva. Mine is too silent to identify it is a diesel!! Much improvement from the earlier versions.

I saw that weather seal topic but is that available in any Indian shopping sites? I never had good experience with AliExpress.
Apart from that only rear speaker I am looking to add as an accessory. And I'm looking for input from here.
BKB999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 17:20   #460
BHPian

Quote:
I saw that weather seal topic but is that available in any Indian shopping sites? I never had good experience with AliExpress.
Quote:
How much length we need (I saw a 2m and 4m in AliExpress)? Have you stuck it onto the top side of the door only?
Old 23rd June 2017, 17:36   #461
BHPian

Quote:

How much length we need (I saw a 2m and 4m in AliExpress)? Have you stuck it onto the top side of the door only?
4m should be fine. I have used it only on the top. For side I have bought another set 4m of beading with "D" cross section. This is used on sides. This combination has resulted in a tight seal. No more dust and insects hiding in the door sill.
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:19   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4m should be fine. I have used it only on the top. For side I have bought another set 4m of beading with "D" cross section. This is used on sides. This combination has resulted in a tight seal. No more dust and insects hiding in the door sill.
Thanks for this. Does this also work for the Figo? A few more pics of where and how you have installed it would immensely help the Figo owners too as even the New Figo does not have door beading and driving in the rain causes the door frame to get extremely dirty!!

Last edited by abhinav.s : 23rd June 2017 at 18:30.
Old 27th June 2017, 13:19   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
A few more pics of where and how you have installed it would immensely help
Hi sorry for the delay in replying. I feel it should work for Figo as well. Find below some snaps of the DIY. Please excuse the pic quality as these are taken with basic mobile phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-1.jpg  

Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-2.jpg  

Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-3.jpg  

Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-4.jpg  

Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-5.jpg  

Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-6.jpg  

Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-7.jpg  

Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-8.jpg  

rajivr1612 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 14:18   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Hi sorry for the delay in replying. I feel it should work for Figo as well. Find below some snaps of the DIY. Please excuse the pic quality as these are taken with basic mobile phone.
Excellent description on how to fit- thank you so much

Did u see if this has any problem while pressure washing? It shows it has 3M stickers but is that enough to hold it where OE fitment( in other vehicles) uses clips? Should we need to tell them before washing, for an extra care?
Old 27th June 2017, 15:03   #465
BHPian

Quote:

Excellent description on how to fit- thank you so much

Did u see if this has any problem while pressure washing? It shows it has 3M stickers but is that enough to hold it where OE fitment( in other vehicles) uses clips? Should we need to tell them before washing, for an extra care?
Forgot about this issue. Good that you brought this up.
Generally the 3M sticker has held up. This is the case in case of straight runs.
However where the beading bends along the profile of the door, Feviqwik did the trick.
Had got my car serviced last December. I don't remember telling those folks about this. But everything came back unharmed.
But it's better to let those folks know.
So far no issues.

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 27th June 2017 at 15:05.
rajivr1612 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks