Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2018, 11:57   #481
BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

My Liva GD 2011 was sold on 26th December 2017.

I bought it in Nov 11. It had done 83K kms. It was my first car and I practically learned driving on it. It was so easy to drive and good fun especially when I was driving alone. It was competent on highways and it was very good in the hills. Engine is great. Only problem I had in my ownership was with the AC. It had to be repaired twice, but it performed well.

Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-photo-dealer.jpg

I slightly upsized the tires and fitted Continentals at 49k kms and it was less noisy and more comfortable after that.

I sold it because I wanted to shift to a petrol car. Etios 1.5 petrol was in my shortlist but I went finally for Baleno RS.

Last edited by jhaji : 9th January 2018 at 11:59. Reason: To correct the formatting
jhaji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2019, 11:08   #482
BHPian

Last week I got my car (Liva GD, 2012 model) serviced for 100k kms.
SA has asked me to replace below mentioned parts. As I am not an expert on these things, I am requesting experts opinion here on whether all these needs to be replaced? If so, do I need to get it done from service center? Or can it be done from outside?
1. Coil spring sleeve (this I guess is related to suspension)
2. Tensioner pulley
3. Valve cover gasket

Just to mention, I am not facing any issues with my car.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 16:50   #483
BHPian

Hello, somebody please advise which tires are preferred for 185/60/R15. I have seen many are suggesting Yokohama Earth 1 for less noisy and durable whereas some of the tyre mechanics expressed just the opposite and suggested Continental.
Mine is 50-50 City-highway ride And 30-40% would be worse roads as well. Please suggest tires nice for the purpose as mentioned and which is without road noise. Stock Goodyear was too noisy.
BKB999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 09:20   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB999 View Post
Hello, somebody please advise which tires are preferred for 185/60/R15. I have seen many are suggesting Yokohama Earth 1 for less noisy and durable whereas some of the tyre mechanics expressed just the opposite and suggested Continental.
Mine is 50-50 City-highway ride And 30-40% would be worse roads as well. Please suggest tires nice for the purpose as mentioned and which is without road noise. Stock Goodyear was too noisy.
My stock MRF ran for 55000 km. Changed them to Yokohama Earth. The noise is much less. But alas, at 93,000 km I need to change the tyres soon. So the Yokohama lasted me less than 40,000 km.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 11:22   #485
BHPian

Toyota Etios Liva GD 1.25 lakh km and beyond

I got my driving license in March 2014 and first car was WagonR CNG, in 2015 we shifted to Panvel in Navi Mumbai and daily commute to office to and fro was more than 100 km which meant frequent CNG filling and wasting a lot of time in CNG queues, hence I decided to purchase a diesel vehicle.

My requirements were Diesel hatchback(2k km per month + long long drives), Spacious, good fuel economy with less service cost.

Considered the following given I had Maruti vehicle already and Honda showroom was nearby as well

1) MS Swift - Boot space and rear leg room was inadequate also felt a lot of turbo lag so city drivability wasnt great , safety features in base variants were not great needed to get to VDI min which was costly .

2) Honda Amaze - Good looks specially in Silver , drive was also decent , Honda for me always meant petrol engines so was anyways hesitant about their Diesel engines as had not heard anything on the same , also didn't want a Sedan and was getting less exchange benefit for WagonR

Then I searched for diesel hatchbacks and read that Toyota Etios Liva has Dual Airbags , ABS and EBD from GD itself which was great . I did consider Liva Cross but was costlier with same engine so decided against it.

First impressions Liva GD
The first thing that impressed me was the rear leg room , the central console was to my liking and the grey and beige interiors felt really good , also the window glass felt bigger and enough light gave that roomy feeling .

I also got to know about the Sportivo model and i was blown away by the look of the white TRD Sportivo but sadly it was about to be discontinued so decided to go with GD model for test drive .

The Test drive
I took the test drive on Worli seaface(same for Honda Amaze as well) which was perfect as i had clear road to rev the engine and i was able to ride the torque for the first time and felt the rush more than in the Honda , it felt really good for someone coming from petrol car , that initial feeling of torque is something that i cannot forget and spontaneously i was in love with Liva , my wife sitting in the rear seat also liked the drive and that roomy feeling , the suspension was good and didn't feel stiff , the brakes were great and clutch was light enough , it had a lot of usable place in door panels and to keep small things around , the AC was also good , so overall I just loved the Liva , the classic design also appealed to me .

So Liva it was, I bargained for a good exchange price for WagonR and booked Liva in July 2015, I liked the silver color but waiting time was more so decided with Grey instead which looks equally great .

Got delivery in a weeks’ time which was great.

Since then in the last 4.2 years have covered 125000 km and plan to continue owning my Liva hence thought of this thread to make sure I can appreciate my car enough for as long as I can and give Liva the recognition it deserves .

Car details
- Etios Liva GD, 2015 August purchase from Wasan Toyota Deonar , Mumbai

My driving style and commute
- Aggressive driving style , use engine braking and love riding the torque
- Daily 75+ km office drive 70% city 30% hway
- 100% AC on mostly at 60-70% capacity

Fuel filling and economy
- Always fill at BP Coco kharghar, if outstation I prefer BP then HP and worst case IOC
- Fuel filter is stock Denso
- I fill to the brim (so I see the level) and take tankful to tankful average.
- Started tracking average in Fuelio app at 90k km
- Overall average is 16.5 km/l
- Best average was 22.65 km/l on a rare sedate drive Kharghar - Hyderabad

The current state
- switched to fully synthetic oil at 1.1 lakh km service,no fuel additives
- clutch and shock absorbers changed at 1.2 lakh service before bhutan trip
- brake pads changed at 60k and then at 1.2 lakh service
- first 40k km goodyear stock tires, since then 2 sets of yoko earth1
- yoko earth1 are really great tires for Indian roads no punctures in full ladakh circuit or bhutan trips

Servicing
- Servicing regularly done at 10k interval, Wasan Toyota, Deonar (Shirish Or Jayesh and always good work no complaints)
- Purchased 5 yr 1.80 lakh km extended warranty
- Have zero dep insurance policy with Engine protect
- Always on Smiles package

Major accidents, claims so far?

- Engine seized at 90k km - fully covered under Toyota protect Insurance which included Engine Protect.
I was on the way to Joshimath which was the base village for Kuari Pass trek in Uttarakhand on 23rd March 2018 , plan was to reach Jaipur on the first day and it was very HOT , I was 90 km from Udaipur near IOC petrol pump in Bichhiwara and had covered nearly 650km in about 8 hours and thinking i would have dinner in Jaipur for sure and then there was a noise , something hit the car from below and next i notice the car just stalled and there was smoke coming from the bonnet and engine light turned on , luckily i was on a slope and next to IOC petrol pump so parked it in the pump and opened the hood which was so hot i had to put on my safety gloves to open it , Next i observed in complete disbelief there is no coolant at all and it hit me my Car Engine is probably dead now given the steam and heat , was absolutely heartbroken and got to know the nearest service station is in Udaipur 90km away , I then called up Toyota RSA and in 30 mins got the car on flatbet and started towards Udaipur toyota service center . It was about 3-330 by then and 90km to Udaipur meant I reached service center only in evening around closing time .
With the goal to trek kuari pass fast losing ground i decided to leave the car at the center and continue via other modes of transport , honestly that was one of the saddest days of my life and i thought rather than worrying about the car let me complete my trek and keep myself distracted and in the meantime hopefully the service guys will have fixed whatever is broken and i can go back home in my car . So optimistically and with a heavy heart i got myself together and focussed on getting the job at hand done , goal was to complete the trek and not let the setback affect my plans .
So i took an overnight bus to Delhi , then took a train to Haridwar and from there took a bus to Joshimath , completed the trek and camback the same way completely exhaused to service center only to know that unfortunately i had a seized engine and will need overhauling and a lot more time , that was like a mini heart attack for me but anyways had no option but to leave the car behind and apply for a claim .
Good news was I had Toyota Protect policy including engine protect and Toyota honored the same , it took about 2 more months from there to get the engine fixed(new pistons and rings ,some lathe work for Block , valves and 1 injectors replaced + 1 repaired along with head repair) and tested and overall bill was about 1 lakh of which i had to bear Rs. 1000 , Thanks TKM .
The engine work was well done although it took a long time and honestly the engine felt like before which says a lot about Toyota service and very happy for the same . They also agreed to send back the car to Mumbai as a goodwill gesture for the delay in getting the engine repaired which is absolutely fantastic .
35k km later I can say the car is running great and average is pretty much same and continues to bring a smile everytime I ride .

- Idler pulley/bearing and tensioner assembly changed under warranty at 99k km

Memorable trips ex Kharghar in Navi mumbai

Solo trip to Ladakh June 2017 - 6016km

Ladakh Blog (only covers till Ladakh) - Ladakh Blog.docx
Trip Itinerary - ladakhtrip.xlsx
Photos and Videos - https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3BBMDNOa21UbTA

Towards Leh
Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-towardsleh.jpg

At Pangong Tso
Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-pangongtso.jpg

Stuck in Khardungla descent
Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-traffickhardungla.jpg

Returning from Turtuk
Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-towardsturtuk.jpg

Bhutan Sept 2019 - 5700km

Photo Link(Still Consolidating) - https://drive.google.com/folderview?...vPETDBIM7iZj-B

At Dantak Canteen by Indian Army enroute Thimpu from Pheuntsholing
Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-dantakcanteen.jpg

At the Dochula Pass enroute Punakha
Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-dochula.jpg

Dochula Chortens
Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-dochulachortens.jpg

Suspension Bridge Punakha
Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review-suspensionbridgepunakha.jpg

Most kms done in a day
- 1060 km Kharghar - Ajmer in etios liva
- 1200 km Amalapuram-Dadar in WagonR Cng (my first car)

Best things about Liva
- Reliability, no issues in long trips like ladakh Or bhutan
- Linear torque delivery no turbo lags, lower end torque is great thanks to the 1.4 ltr engine
- Good brakes and light clutch
- Lowest servicing costs thanks to smiles package
- Steering weighs up nicely at high speeds and in city its like point and shoot
- With the low end torque climbing hills and ghats is a breeze , even with 4 people during Bhutan trip the car didnt feel strained at any point .

What can be improved
- Stock headlights and fog lamps not powerful enough
- NVH levels
- Wish there was sunfilm by default on windscreen , it gets pretty hot to drive in the summers as the glass area is also at an angle and pretty large .
- Wish the ground clearance was 190+ , would have helped a lot in Ladakh trip.
- A pillar driver side visibility could be better specially when at lowest cat seat height (i prefer low seating so it might just be a specific issue for me)

So given this context for car and driver, starting point at 1.25lakh km let the journey begin!!
I will update on servicing and long trips, any niggles/issues , hope the car goes on and on!!!
aniketbapat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 17:11   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios Liva GD 1.25 lakh km and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketbapat View Post

What can be improved
- Stock headlights and fog lamps not powerful enough
- NVH levels
- Wish there was sunfilm by default on windscreen , it gets pretty hot to drive in the summers as the glass area is also at an angle and pretty large .
- Wish the ground clearance was 190+ , would have helped a lot in Ladakh trip.
- A pillar driver side visibility could be better specially when at lowest cat seat height (i prefer low seating so it might just be a specific issue for me)

So given this context for car and driver, starting point at 1.25lakh km let the journey begin!!
That's quite a number of kms you've clocked on the Liva, and it's great to read your review.
We sold our Liva at 65Kkm, and Etios at 55-60Kkm; and both of them still felt tight - lesson learnt and hope to use the Corolla for a lot longer as these cars are proper workhorses!
On the Etios we switched over to Yoko Earth 1 as well, and they were a perfect match for the car!

About your dislikes:
1) Headlights: Upgrade to better performance bulbs like the Osram Nightbreaker or Philips Xtreme Vision. They really made a difference on the Etios.
2) We got transparent sunfilm (3M) installed on the Etios - no cops would notice it due to it's transparent nature & it helped keep the heat out considerably!

Looking forward to more updates!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 17:46   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Engine seized at 90k km - fully covered under Toyota protect Insurance which included Engine Protect.
That is a really good review to read. Good pictures and brief of the car.
Very rare to know a Toyota engine been seized. Infact you are the first to my notice.

Did you find the reason why the engine was seized? Something hitting the under body engine seems unlikely reason. Even though this is the very reason I always advocate engine under body covering in all cars.

Looking forward to see more updates on this thread. I do not own one but somehow I like the Etios Limited Edition and the Liva Dual Tone LE diesel cars.

Best of luck. Hope we see a 2 Lakh Km review of your Liva soon.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 00:11   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
My stock MRF ran for 55000 km. Changed them to Yokohama Earth. The noise is much less. But alas, at 93,000 km I need to change the tyres soon. So the Yokohama lasted me less than 40,000 km.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
That's quite a number of kms you've clocked on the Liva, and it's great to read your review.
We sold our Liva at 65Kkm, and Etios at 55-60Kkm; and both of them still felt tight - lesson learnt and hope to use the Corolla for a lot longer as these cars are proper workhorses!
On the Etios we switched over to Yoko Earth 1 as well, and they were a perfect match for the car!

What about using the Continental CC5? - I ve got many advises that Yoko is still noisy than the Conti and Conti has a special noise damper on them which I saw on the tires.
Also no one has seemed to be recommending Indian tires like Apollo and MRF, why??

About your dislikes:
1) Headlights: Upgrade to better performance bulbs like the Osram Nightbreaker or Philips Xtreme Vision. They really made a difference on the Etios.
2) We got transparent sunfilm (3M) installed on the Etios - no cops would notice it due to it's transparent nature & it helped keep the heat out considerably!

I too did these- Phillips Xtreme is way better than the stock bulbs. and 3M stickers are probably the only solution to the heat issues. I did the normal one windows and the higher quality one on the windscreen.
BKB999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 18:28   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate , the engine still feels super smooth and the synthetic oil definitely had made a difference , Earth 1 is a rock albeit in rubber amazed by its reliability , match made in heaven for Etios twins .

Quote:
About your dislikes:

1) thanks for the suggestion will do , stock wattage or 110/90 ones ? did you upgrade with a new relay !
2) i did get garware sunflim but not happy , will defintely visit 3M and check for the same .

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
That is a really good review to read. Good pictures and brief of the car.
Very rare to know a Toyota engine been seized. Infact you are the first to my notice.

Did you find the reason why the engine was seized? Something hitting the under body engine seems unlikely reason. Even though this is the very reason I always advocate engine under body covering in all cars.
Yes i was surprised as well that the engine seized , when i saw the underbody at udaipur service center it was like a gush of coolant below with huge force so looks like for some reason the coolant pipe burst and there was a hit near the bottom more towards place where the engine cover meets the grill , surprisingly we also saw that there was some liquid on the inside near the head as well , anyways am happy the service guys were able to get the engine back to original fitness .

Quote:
Looking forward to see more updates on this thread. I do not own one but somehow I like the Etios Limited Edition and the Liva Dual Tone LE diesel cars.

Best of luck. Hope we see a 2 Lakh Km review of your Liva soon.
Am working with the moderators to get the post converted to its own independent thread , will writeup more details as well .I hope the car just keeps going and we will have not just 2 lakh maybe 4 lakh review

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Earth1 seem durable although i dont find them to be very silent anyways in my case diesel engine clatter is more than tyre nosie .
I have the 175/65 R14 ones and i have driven etios on rough terrains and it just goobles it up , no punctures etc , my first set lasted me for 50k km (30% hway and 70% city ) and still were good for another 10k km , one thing i found useful was getting the tyres from dealer directly(might cost a little more) , i got the tires from 1 week/10 days max ago and they do feel much better than retailers who might give tires which have been stored for sometime (3-6 months older) and maybe the weather/storage has taken some toll already.
Did you see some uneven wear and tear or was it the rubber felt hard and noisy when you went for the change after 40k km ?

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2019 at 18:36. Reason: As requested
aniketbapat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 21:14   #490
BHPian

Quote:
my first set lasted me for 50 lakh km (30% hway and 70% city ) and still were good for another 10k km
Please edit this or else you shall have Yokohoma top bosses looking for you. And if true (which isn't) then I wonder if that would be a world record?

Toyota cars are reliable and durable but sometimes one need a typing error to spread the word of mouth
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 21:54   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Please edit this or else you shall have Yokohoma top bosses looking for you. And if true (which isn't) then I wonder if that would be a world record?

Toyota cars are reliable and durable but sometimes one need a typing error to spread the word of mouth
😂thanks for noticing mate Yokohoma San will be calling me soon , the icing on the cake is it would last 10k km more
Mods can you set the numbers right pls!! Not sure I can edit it
aniketbapat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 14:38   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1) thanks for the suggestion will do , stock wattage or 110/90 ones ? did you upgrade with a new relay !
[/b]
Stock wattage, but am not sure about the relay. Don't think we got it upgraded. Only con is the headlights become dull after some time.

Quote:
What about using the Continental CC5? - I ve got many advises that Yoko is still noisy than the Conti and Conti has a special noise damper on them which I saw on the tires.
Also no one has seemed to be recommending Indian tires like Apollo and MRF, why??
To be honest I haven't tried the Conti CC5, but they should be good options as are Yoko Blue Earth.
Indian tyres : Apollo could be a decent option but they seem run of the mill average. MRF has some good new treads like the Perfinza, but pricing is on the higher side as availability isn't always in stock. I desperately wanted the Perfinza for the S-Cross. However the standard range of tyres are the typical high life, hard tyres that won't boast of exceptional NVH, Grip, Braking, Wet Grip, etc.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 01:55   #493
BHPian

I was going to try the Yokos but opted for the Turanzas(again) because the Yokos were heavier. With any of these tyres you wont go wrong. It all boils down to personal tread prefs etc. Will definitely opt for the XM2s next time though.
Old 16th October 2019, 06:16   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
I was going to try the Yokos but opted for the Turanzas(again) because the Yokos were heavier. With any of these tyres you wont go wrong. It all boils down to personal tread prefs etc. Will definitely opt for the XM2s next time though.
Thanks for your opinion.
My utmost preference is on the road noise level and that is where I couldn't make a decision. XM2 is out of my budget because all 4 have to be changed.

To be honest I haven't tried the Conti CC5, but they should be good options as are Yoko Blue Earth.
Indian tyres : Apollo could be a decent option but they seem run of the mill average. MRF has some good new treads like the Perfinza, but pricing is on the higher side as availability isn't always in stock. I desperately wanted the Perfinza for the S-Cross. However the standard range of tyres are the typical high life, hard tyres that won't boast of exceptional NVH, Grip, Braking, Wet Grip, etc.[/quote]

Thank you!
I think I shouldn't take risks on this long time investment. No one has seems to be using Conti while many of them have good experience with Yoko, especially on Liva.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th October 2019 at 06:51. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 16th October 2019, 11:26   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion.
My utmost preference is on the road noise level and that is where I couldn't make a decision. XM2 is out of my budget because all 4 have to be changed.

Indian tyres : Apollo could be a decent option but they seem run of the mill average. MRF has some good new treads like the Perfinza, but pricing is on the higher side as availability isn't always in stock. I desperately wanted the Perfinza for the S-Cross. However the standard range of tyres are the typical high life, hard tyres that won't boast of exceptional NVH, Grip, Braking, Wet Grip, etc.
Thank you!
I think I shouldn't take risks on this long time investment. No one has seems to be using Conti while many of them have good experience with Yoko, especially on Liva.[/quote]

Bhai, you didn't read my post properly. I went in for the Turanzas the second time in life. They served me superbly on my earlier car. For me they're probably the best all round tyres out there. How they shine in the rains! Plus the not so hard compound helps with our bad roads without compromising ride quality.

Also when I was making the purchase the tyre guy suggested I try the Conti's this time. But I didn't. I just went in with experience & loved the pattern of the Bridgestone. Price-wise both were similar. If you like the Conti's go ahead.

Also these options are far better than Apollo it Goodyear. Just my experience. Hence the bias.

Make the purchase. There's no risk whatsoever! Infact this is one we must make by taking a risk.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks