Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2011, 21:17   #106
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Indica Vista Refresh : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Just for looks alone, this Vista variant appears desirable - good job on that front, Tata. However - 2 points Stratos mentioned: the soft suspension and sedate engine: symbolizes one of the main reasons why enthusiasts shy away from Tata cars - they are not driver centric.

Tata Indica Sport concept (yellow, featured some decade+ ago during the initial days of the Indica) that really made us believe that this truly Indian company could actually give us cars that are fun-to-drive without creating a hole in the pocket.
Yep so true and how hard would it be to stiffen the suspension (even currently available after market suspension bits would achieve this - at least for say an SX varient in the wonderful yellow and besides if the same engine can seem responsive in the swift and even the punto it is just a matter of tuning it well.

Also an AT option would cover all basis. Am looking for an AT hatch for my wife and the yellow vista ala vrs so wows me except for the missing AT.
Old 9th October 2011, 21:59   #107
BHPian

Forgot Toyota replacing its very successful Qualis with Innova?

[quote=romeomidhun;2506832]And Maruti has launched some completely new models like WR and New Swift - that too, replacing models which were selling more than 10K monthly! The only other manufacturer who replaced a highly successful model is Honda, by replacing City. quote]
Old 10th October 2011, 01:05   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yep so true and how hard would it be to stiffen the suspension (even currently available after market suspension bits would achieve this - at least for say an SX varient in the wonderful yellow and besides if the same engine can seem responsive in the swift and even the punto it is just a matter of tuning it well.
I'm waiting for the very premium Indica with the 90ps mill and 15" wheels and indigo shocks and dash to arrive. I think with the common parts, a parts sharing exercise like the indica turbo is inevitable, eventually.
Old 10th October 2011, 14:18   #109
BHPian

OK.. Just came back from Vista Refresh TD #2. The same test car which I loved last time(9 days back), The car had run 1536km on the odo. It was super silent and super chilly. My dad came along for the TD this time around. Since we had done the Ritz D test drive only yesterday, it was easy to compare in that regard.

1km into the test drive, I was taking a right turn in 2nd gear @15kmph on a flat road. We heard a low pitched chu-chu-chu-chu noise, so I eased off the accelerator. Everything seemed fine, so I started accelerating gradually, started feeling hot all of a sudden, checked the AC. To my shock, it had stopped working. All that was working was the heater and the blower. No cooling, at 12:30PM, thats not a very nice thing to happen.

We presumed that a fuse might have blown so we pulled over to check. But the Sales Exec had no idea about the location of the fusebox. Checked the manual, called up 24 hour helpline. The person at the other end couldn't help out either. Suggested we go to TASS. I said fine, because I wanted to know what exactly went wrong. TASS technician came immediately to attend this Demo Car. Turns out we have a blown/seized compressor and it will take 4-5 days to get rectified.

I had though that the Vista is a very much improved product as compared to the old V2s. But now I understand what the current owners meant by 'Niggling Issues'.

A blown compressor is totally unacceptable at 15xxkm. I am afraid but, inspite of liking it so much on the 1st TD, the Vista has been effectively crossed off our shortlist. :(
Old 10th October 2011, 15:08   #110
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
A blown compressor is totally unacceptable at 15xxkm. I am afraid but, inspite of liking it so much on the 1st TD, the Vista has been effectively crossed off our shortlist. :(
I guess we all get what you are saying but will only comment that a test car normally has 10X the abuse of a normal car so it must be assumed to be at 10Xkms - but then 15xxx kms too is too early. Am sure this does not happen too often or would be a major issue that is reported often. Have a feeling the car has been driven without being serviced for long. Yet Yet it should not have failed.
Old 10th October 2011, 15:37   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I guess we all get what you are saying but will only comment that a test car normally has 10X the abuse of a normal car so it must be assumed to be at 10Xkms - but then 15xxx kms too is too early. Am sure this does not happen too often or would be a major issue that is reported often. Have a feeling the car has been driven without being serviced for long. Yet Yet it should not have failed.
I forgot to mention some things. The car was serviced yesterday (according to the Sales Exec who brought the car to our place). And anyways, I dont think they do anything to the AirCon @1st service. Also, when I was with the AC technician @TASS (Millennium motors, Dapodi, Pune), there was talk that this might be a common issue. They had recently changed a Compressor (+ *some*condenser + some reservoir, total 3 things.) on a PDI vehicle. So the blown compressor issue is not one-off.

I am not trying to take away anything from the car itself. I loved the drive, it drove almost like an automatic in 3rd and 4th gear. Available torque in city conditions was immense. The back seat and front seat comfort was commendable. But I don't think I will be able to/willing to convince my dad on buying one now.

P.S.: We were looking for a safe(ABS) + economical to own and run Diesel hatch. Even created a what car thread. But since GTO/some other mod deleted that thread, could somebody please guide me to a section where I can pose a generic query.

Last edited by antz.bin : 10th October 2011 at 15:51.
Old 10th October 2011, 17:39   #112
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
P.S.: We were looking for a safe(ABS) + economical to own and run Diesel hatch. Even created a what car thread. But since GTO/some other mod deleted that thread, could somebody please guide me to a section where I can pose a generic query.
Suggest you check out smartcats hatch analysis.

Vista, Punto, Beat, seem to be the VFM guys in the Diesel Hatch Segment. Though there are others like Punto, i20 etc, they don't exactly tick the VFM Box.
Old 10th October 2011, 18:51   #113
BHPian

Quote:
I had though that the Vista is a very much improved product as compared to the old V2s. But now I understand what the current owners meant by 'Niggling Issues'.
It is because of such issues that buying a Tata car is still a Russian Roulette

Russian roulette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Their in house component suppliers seem to be quite good e.g TACO, but the others need really strict checks.
Old 11th October 2011, 12:59   #114
Oxy
BHPian

Great review Stratos!

But what I don't get is, why is there a TDi engine option? I don't think anyone would go for it when the Quadrajet is available.
Old 11th October 2011, 14:06   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Great review Stratos!

But what I don't get is, why is there a TDi engine option? I don't think anyone would go for it when the Quadrajet is available.
The TDI is still offered in BS3 markets but you are right, in terms of price there is not much of a difference.
Old 11th October 2011, 14:21   #116
BHPian

Tata Indica Vista Refresh : Enhancing ground clearance

Is there a way for the ground clearance of Vista to be enhanced from 165mm ? If yes how much additional clearance can be gained?

What is the procedure for this without affecting mechanicals/warranty?

On the new 15xx kms done TD Vista a/c compressor failure is not inspiring any confidence on TATA while openly challenged with Swift. I guess TATA guys make a quick note of these QC issues still persisting even on new refreshed Vista.

Last edited by harimakesh : 11th October 2011 at 14:23.
Old 11th October 2011, 23:55   #117
Senior - BHPian

Saw a new Vista Quadrajet VX today in the evening. It was metallic maroon coloured, with black tints. Looks Very neat from the rear, with the black appliqué making the shape seem different from the rear. Smoked tail lamps look pretty decent too. The refresh has my vote!
Old 12th October 2011, 15:30   #118
BHPian

The more I TD other cars, the more I miss what Vista offers. Just did a Liva GD TD. So, after TDing Ritz, Figo,Beat, Vista and Liva, I can safely say that Vista is the most well rounded diesel city car you can buy for <6.5 lac OTR Pune. Why tata why?? Why did the aircon on the TD car had to blow? Is there any way to contact Ratan Tata directly?
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 15:52   #119
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Indica Vista Refresh : Enhancing ground clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Is there a way for the ground clearance of Vista to be enhanced from 165mm ? If yes how much additional clearance can be gained?

What is the procedure for this without affecting mechanicals/warranty?
For any car.

Simply go for either wider tyres retaining profile values (implying effective increase in height as well) or just increase the profile of the tyres and you will be able to improve the ground Clearance. (GC increase = 1/2 the addtional tyre diameter increase.)

It is just that you need to ensure you upsize to within 3% of the original values else safety is compromised. I believe on a personal note that even upto 5% upsize is fine but that is my personal view, and most tyre upsize website suggestions would be to not cross 3%.

The TBHP Tyre Advice Section has a link to one such site, you can get many options by just googling tyre upsize calculator and enter your current tyre size and you will multiple upsize calculator sites.

There are advantages and disadvantages of changing tyres size that is detailed again in the TBHP Tyre advice section look it out.

Officially the warranty certain aspect of the car would be void, but most service centres don't make this an issue and it is about having the right relationship with the SA.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 18:09   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The more I TD other cars, the more I miss what Vista offers. Just did a Liva GD TD. So, after TDing Ritz, Figo,Beat, Vista and Liva, I can safely say that Vista is the most well rounded diesel city car you can buy for <6.5 lac OTR Pune. Why tata why?? Why did the aircon on the TD car had to blow? Is there any way to contact Ratan Tata directly?
Dear antz.bin - please PM me your contact details, I need to speak to you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks