Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 17:07   #16
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny : Test Drive & Review

Excellent Review Gentlemen - Enjoyed reading the review thoroughly, this could not have come in at a better time was trying to help a colleague decide between the Ethios and Manza, It think its time to consider the Sunny too. Thanks again for your time and effort.

Best - ML

PS: Rated it 5 Stars.
Old 20th September 2011, 17:10   #17
BHPian

I just hope Nissan gets off the rounded look at the earliest, it would be a hit or miss for a lot of us. It's truly a total miss for me. Nissan still has a long way to go, to have a strong hold in this Indian market & this car ain't gonna change it much.
Old 20th September 2011, 17:12   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
How is the sound quality of the system?
See the 4th last paragraph in the "Interior" post.
Its good enough for casual listening, but don't expect it to be impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
1. How is the driving dynamics compared to other petrol sedans - Manza, Etios, Dzire, Fiesta Classic and (Sx4 and Linea - should I add them or shouldn't I).
Its ahead of the Manza and D'zire, and has similar ride and behavior as the Etios, Linea and Fiesta. (Though nowhere as involving as the Linea or the Fiesta).

Quote:
2. Any news on "Dci" option?
Its confirmed. However, its taking a while to change the gear ratios accordingly and work through other requirements. No tentative launch frame was mentioned.

Quote:
3. Can you put up the comp chart?
Added.

Quote:
4. Have they increased the wheel base? Or it is the same as Micra
The wheelbase is 2600 mm! That's about 150 mm longer than the Micra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I would prefer to wait a year and am sure to get some good discount as they may not be able to sustain these prices.
Are you saying that you think the Sunny is priced higher than what its worth ?

cya
R
Old 20th September 2011, 17:12   #19
BHPian

Great review. Rated 5 stars. The shape resembles Maxima, Atlima and Teana
Pricing looks really attractive, I would certainly wait for diesel to come
sameerpb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 17:18   #20
Team-BHP Support

Here are a few more miscellaneous pictures :

cya
R
Old 20th September 2011, 17:20   #21
Team-BHP Support

Re: In a nutshell

Nice review there.

I find myself liking the car; with that kind of pricing, it is sure to upset a few competitors in that segment.

I especially liked the A/c controls and the steering mounted controls; quite different from the regular ones you see on all cars these days.

I think Nissan might just get it quite right with Sunny. A Diesel and they'll drive home the point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
• The gearbox was unfriendly in 1st, 2nd and Reverse - though hopefully this might open up with time? (Our cars had just 280 km of hard running on them).
I don't understand this; how would a gearbox get better with time? All the new cars I've driven have had good gearboxes. Or is this comment Nissan-specific?

Both mobike and you have mentioned how the engine doesn't like to be worked. Why? I mean it is a decent-sized sedan with a 1.5l engine. A slightly longer ANHC with a 1.5l engine likes to be driven around. Why does Sunny struggle?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 20th September 2011 at 17:34.
Old 20th September 2011, 17:23   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Excellent review. Rated 5 stars. If only Nissan had given a better shape and interiors, this would have been a steal.
Shape and design is personal choice and Sunny looks way better in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Not launching a diesel variant is a massive disappointment. I know that would come soon. Nissan will be forced to get the diesel unit in faster than they would have planned.
Exactly our sentiment. We had hoped they would release the diesel mill first or atleast together with the petrol engine. But, from what we know, its being worked upon with some urgency and hopefully, should be out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
I just hope Nissan gets off the rounded look at the earliest, it would be a hit or miss for a lot of us. It's truly a total miss for me. Nissan still has a long way to go, to have a strong hold in this Indian market & this car ain't gonna change it much.
Sunny isnt exactly rounded through out its silhouette but, looks fairly rounded at the 3/4th quarter angle but, otherwise has clean lines from the side and front. As said before, looks are a personal choice and in my opinion isnt too bad looking especially when you pit it against say the Etios, D'zire or the Manza

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th September 2011 at 17:24.
Old 20th September 2011, 17:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Diesel coming in Jan as per tweet - from Hormazd

Last edited by dkaile : 20th September 2011 at 17:30.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 17:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review Avi! one of the best so far.....rated a well deserved 5 stars!

sadly the car itself seems pretty mediocre nd hte only thing going for it is the pricing.
Old 20th September 2011, 17:37   #25
BHPian

Excellent review. The pricing looks impressive. Although it compares with Etios and Manza pricewise, from the review I feel it compares with City/Vento otherwise. The plane jane light colour interior theme is a big let down though, at least the way they appear in the pics.

I see a knob above the ORVM open/close switch. Can you explain what that is?
Old 20th September 2011, 17:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nice robust review there Mobike008!

The Sunny seems to be the Figo of its segment. Nothing earth shatteringly great or bad and one can expect it to do its bit without any glaring glitches. The pricing also does not jar one bit. If only they could do something about their dealership reach (or the perception that it is not enough)

What is it with manufacturers rolling out only petrols at the first launch? With fuel pricing here, it would probably make sense for them to delay the launch till the diesel is also available. In any case it is not as if the petrol mills will be flying off the shelves.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th September 2011 at 17:43. Reason: Editing name
Old 20th September 2011, 17:42   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I don't understand this; how would a gearbox get better with time? All the new cars I've driven have had good gearboxes. Or is this comment Nissan-specific?
As you can see, that was more of a question, as opposed to a statement. There's no guarantee it will happen, but it might be a possibility. Some moving parts can ease up a little after the first few thousand KMs of use, or after the first lubricant change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Both mobike and you have mentioned how the engine doesn't like to be worked. Why? I mean it is a decent-sized sedan with a 1.5l engine. A slightly longer ANHC with a 1.5l engine likes to be driven around. Why does Sunny struggle?
This would come down to the engine fuel mapping (tuned for efficiency in this case), as well as things like intake and exhaust design, valve timing, etc.

These days the focus is bigtime on fuel-efficiency (as well as emissions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Diesel coming in Jan as per tweet - from Hormazd
Auto Expo 2012 was the guess some people were making. Nissan didn't comment on it at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Although it compares with Etios and Manza pricewise, from the review I feel it compares with City/Vento otherwise.
Absolutely agree here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
I see a knob above the ORVM open/close switch. Can you explain what that is?
Its to select which mirror (Left or Right) you wish to electrically adjust.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th September 2011 at 17:45.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 17:45   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Super review, guys! Thanks to Avi & Rehaan for this one. *Rates thread 5 stars*

Sadly, I can't say the same about the car. Neither does it appeal to me, nor would I be recommending it too much to others. It seems to be middle-of-the-way in most areas, but the package doesn't come across as a very strong one to me. Main reason : The engine review that you guys put up. C'mon, running out of breath so easily? Noisy over 3,000 rpm? Compare that to the Etios, Dzire, Fiesta Classic & gang which have some super powerplants. From your review, even the Manza (Fiat) 1.4L petrol sounds better.

I could change my viewpoints once the diesel arrives. That Verito / Micra / Fluence diesel is a known workhorse. Priced well, the Sunny diesel could make for an excellent buy. On pricing, I will say that the entry & mid-level are priced competitively. But the top-end variant goes too close to cars from a 1/2 segment above.

But until then, I'd give this car an extremely average rating. For self-driven types, the Etios (torque'y engine, fun behaviour), Dzire (excellent engine, sharp front end) and Fiesta Classic (100 BHP, segment best steering & handling) beat it hollow. For chauffeur-driven comfort, I'd pick the Manza diesel top variant which is priced on par with the Sunny petrol. The Manza's rear seat is also supremely comfortable and, while the Sunny may have that much more room, how much do you need any way? Spacious is spacious...a couple of mm here & there. Sure, if we bring in the Dzire, then the Sunny has a distinct advantage in space. But the Manza is also amongst the segment best.

Nissan will meet / exceed it's target of 2000 units / month when the diesel arrives. I predict the petrol settling down to about 1000 / month, sometimes less.

Last edited by GTO : 20th September 2011 at 17:55.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 17:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

This could be the perfect entry level chauffeur driven car because of the incredible leg space, comfy seats and pleasant ride quality. Definitely the three USPs of the car. The Sunny is not particularly a good looker and gives good competition to the Dzire in terms of 'ugliness' The top-end variant could have been priced better but decent pricing otherwise.
Old 20th September 2011, 17:52   #30
Team-BHP Support

@GTO : For rear seat comfort, space isn't the only advantage the Sunny has over the Manza and D'zire. The ride quality is a step up too.

If Nissan can pull off the same kinda pricing when the diesel launches, that sure will please many where the petrol engine couldn't.

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks