Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 17:55   #106
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny : Test Drive & Review

An excellent review there Has hardly left me with anything to ask.

I am not sure how this car would look in person, but from the pics it hardly appeals. Looks bland !!
Old 21st September 2011, 18:06   #107
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful review Mobike.
The car gives a rich look both in the advt and in the review.Eventhough it resembles Dzire at the back, the curves seem very uniform across the car.

Wafer thin A-S-S will be a major negative point. Only Diesel launch will tell how Nissan is welcomed by Indians.

OT: If the test drive/reviews are planned in advance, is it not possible to invite few tbhpians to see and understand what you (experts) do in a test review.
Old 21st September 2011, 18:28   #108
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny Diesel Arrives In January

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
It should be a good news for all those waiting for the Nissan Sunny Diesel.

Source: Nissan Sunny Diesel Arrives In January

Cheers!
Irish
The real price difference between petrol and diesel micra is not 40k as said here, given the difference in features. ABS was a big omission and would have saved at least 30k from diesel micra's pricing.

Should expect 70-80k premium for diesel Sunny.
Old 21st September 2011, 18:34   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post
Poor highway capabilities?? How did you arrive at that conclusion?
Perhaps you have to go back and reread then engine section of review? The car struggles on higher rpms and the 3rd gear is weak.

Anyway, this this would refresh your memory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
In this case however, 3rd gear is rather meek. I had to slam my foot to the floor in a fairly unsuccessful attempt to extract power.
----
----
Overall, you should be prepared to down-shift a lot when trying to overtake on highways.
The car is a dud on highway, unless all you want to do is to cruise below 100.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 21st September 2011 at 18:37.
Old 21st September 2011, 19:04   #110
BHPian

I have been driving Nissan Sunny frequently (while in UAE) and here is my experience on the 2010 model.
1. Engine response is poor - confirms MOBIKE's observations
2. Gear box (Manual) is a pain even after 20Kkm run. [The AUTO one is marginally better]
3. NVH levels are high
4. Significant body rattles after only about 1.5 years in service.
5. driving poistion is not comfortable (for me).

To be frank, the car fares very poorly in comparsion with a Mitsubishi Lancer or even Honda City (of similar age/miles run/service frequency/ driving conditions ) in terms of all of the above issues. IMHO, it does not meet the standards that one expects from Nissan.

Last edited by psp62in : 21st September 2011 at 19:06.
psp62in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 20:45   #111
BHPian

Looks wise it looks very nice from certain angles, especially from the front as well as side. Nice proportions. However, side quarter i.e 8'0 clock position does not look that enticing..
Interiors at first, looks pretty bland to my liking, due to the color combination maybe, however if we closely look at the pictures looks of good quality plastics.
Not sure how they feel though. Could have made it look more refreshing and upmarket (IMHO).
What about after sales experience? Service experience and costs..Need to have good dealership as well as after sales experience otherwise a good product may go wasted.
Reminds me when Linea was launched, it looked stunning ready to take the segment by storm, but just because of shoddy A** it has suffered. Really Sad thing for a good product.(Decent space, decent economy, good dynamics, diesel too) not being able to sell.

Hope Nissan learns from others mistakes and does not make the diesel too pricey (beyond 8.5L on road Mumbai) then it may be jack of all .

Cheers
MKP
Old 21st September 2011, 21:24   #112
Team-BHP Support

It's very interesting to see that Nissan is actually trying to hit 2 bulls eyes with one target. The Sunny is straddling in between the budget C segment sedans as well as the premium C segment sedans.

While the base model XE and the one above XL is targetting Etios, Manza, Dzire and the likes; the top end XV is just in reach of the lower variants of the Verna, Fiesta, Vento and ANHC.

A buyer looking at the lower end variant of the Verna, ANHC, Fiesta and Vento may actually look at the top spec Sunny. Size wise it matches and it looks like it has fantastic rear legroom.

It may not take off initially but once a diesel variant is launched and the Nissan brand name is more popular expect it do very decent numbers.

There doesn't seem to be any major flaw/show stopper. The Verna has sloppy handling, the Fiesta is priced higher and the Vento is not very fuel efficient. Lower down the Etios has very poor quality interiors. These are show stoppers IMO when looking at a car.

The Sunny's only negative is an engine that doesn't like to be revved and a vague gearbox.

That maybe a big deal for some but for the majority who never revv the pants off and just enjoy a peaceful drive or are chauffeur driven, the Sunny makes incredible sense.

Somehow I'm begging to like Nissan's off late. The Micra diesel left me very impressed.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 21:24   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
I have been driving Nissan Sunny frequently (while in UAE) and here is my experience on the 2010 model.
2. Gear box (Manual) is a pain even after 20Kkm run. [The AUTO one is marginally better]
3. NVH levels are high

To be frank, the car fares very poorly in comparsion with a Mitsubishi Lancer or even Honda City (of similar age/miles run/service frequency/ driving conditions ) in terms of all of the above issues. IMHO, it does not meet the standards that one expects from Nissan.
Why am I hearing the same thing (the text in bold) twice over in a day? A friend shared with me his experience of a Nissan they owned long back, and expressed his strong disappointment on account of these aspects - especially significant body rattles in a year of ownership. He said he would not buy a Nissan at any price!

My knowledge is also that a Nissan sells at a substantial discount to a similar specced Toyota in the US.

Is Nissan considered an inferior cousin worldwide to Toyota and Honda?
Old 21st September 2011, 22:21   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
My knowledge is also that a Nissan sells at a substantial discount to a similar specced Toyota in the US.

Nissan Versa (same as Sunny with a diff engine) is one of the cheapest cars available in US (Kia used to be the cheapest, but becoming pricey with the new designs). It is comparable with Toyota Yaris. But Versa is more popular in US than Yaris and considered as the ideal vehicle for school/college going kids. One of the automags describe Versa as "New car at used car price".
Old 21st September 2011, 23:03   #115
BHPian

I think the pricing is very aggressive, especially given this is the same segment as City, Lancer in most countries and its priced significantly lower. And from the pics and review it looks like the sort of car that will grow on you. Great time for the India car buyer and things are changing so quickly.

What I like about the Nissan is the interiors are very well put together, even though functional there is no cheapness about it. There is a certain quality that one feels throughout the car. And the backroom space is awesome!

There is not much to criticize here, VFM pricing, decent features, there is definitely room in the market for a car like this. I think this will start slow and gain pace as word of mouth reviews get around. Great review, highlighted most a prospective buyer would look at.

Last edited by raul : 21st September 2011 at 23:06.
Old 21st September 2011, 23:12   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Just curious, isn't the Indian passenger car scenario very different from the US market? Can we draw parallels? (Pardon my ignorance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Nissan Versa (same as Sunny with a diff engine) is one of the cheapest cars available in US (Kia used to be the cheapest, but becoming pricey with the new designs). It is comparable with Toyota Yaris. But Versa is more popular in US than Yaris and considered as the ideal vehicle for school/college going kids. One of the automags describe Versa as "New car at used car price".
Then how would this automag describe Toyota Etios (given that Etios is not as good as Sunny - not my opinion, I gather this from some posts in this thread)

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 21st September 2011 at 23:18.
Old 21st September 2011, 23:48   #117
BHPian

Checked out Sunny today (with a friend named Sunny!). Looks better in flesh than photos. Quite neutral looking. Does look bulbous though.
Really good legroom, but the rear seats lack under thigh support. Plastics and all were quite good and well put. I quite liked the 'greige' interiors, suits the car. The display car was 'Bronze Grey' one, very nice shade! It is a good car IMO and should sell well when the diesel comes.
The SA told me that many people came today but I was the only one who knew it is available only in Petrol. Rest everybody asked for a diesel one. Diesel should be introduced quickly.
Old 22nd September 2011, 00:49   #118
BHPian

Great review Mobike008 and Rehaan. The Sunny comes across as a great car but Nissan has priced it in such a way, its bound to eat into Micra's market share. Wonder if they will revise Micra prices. Another point, the top end Micra diesel does not get ABS but the base Sunny does!
Old 22nd September 2011, 01:17   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
3. NVH levels are high

1.5 years? The V platform Sunny is launching globally only just now so what you drive is a totally different car with different engine. Only the name is the same. It is kinda confusing.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 02:45   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post

Unfortunately, a company's fortune depends on such foolish salespersons sometimes. This is not new and there is a whole thread on TBHP about sales people's stupid statements. Its across brands, models, etc.
And there are a few pleasant surprises from the most unexpected quarters.

The sales representative here at Vizag, who was deputed for a recent test drive from Fiat could talk fluently only in Telugu. He understood limited Hindi / English that I was speaking and absolutely none of that which my wife spoke during the test drive.

And yet, in his own natural and beautiful way, in an intense interaction session lasting over 40 minutes, he had had us absolutely impressed with his knowledge and passion for the car. For a company which is much maligned for the attitude of the sales and service staff, this indeed was a refreshing experience.

And to tell the truth, that one test drive with Fiat and the previous evening's experience with the Honda showroom staff was enough to wean me away from the ANHC. I had planned a test drive - just meant to be a mandatory drive so that my little kids know what car i was buying - just a mandatory step prior to depositing the booking amount. And the Honda guys called off the test drive - without any intimation. We were left fuming at home.
Now, since the past two weeks, the Honda showroom in Vizag doesn't have a test drive car and you are instead "invited" to come to the showroom, take the car in the" service area" / " nearby pavement" for checking, "if you want to" that is. And the staff has the audacity to ask "are you really going to buy it from this showroom?" kind of questions!

It seems funny that in spite of being a practical and level headed person, this thing turned me off immensely. It probably made me aware of the high handedness of the Honda service staff that I have frequently read / heard about. When decisions are hanging by the thread, such things can be make or break moments!

And the result? I am - now waiting eagerly for Diwali for the launch of the Linea 1.6 MJD !!

(Btw, why is Linea not even being discussed for comparison with Sunny??)

Most Viewed