Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2011, 17:36   #136
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Another important factor cannot be overlooked is that we were 4 occupants in the car ( Two 6ft+ guys, Two 5.8ft guys)

Maybe the engine can respond better with 1-2 people in the car. We didnt get a chance to experience that though!

I think the perception could be very different given that there were 4 people in the car - my SX4 is an extremely agile performer with 1-2 passengers but with 4 people it almost feels like there is something messed up with the engine

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd September 2011 at 20:33. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 20:48   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I somehow feel surprised when people including some esteemed senior members compare this car to say a Tata Manza.
Well, it depends on which parameters we are using the select its competitors.

For example, in the pricing comparo sheet in the 2nd post - do we compare based on who we think the competitors are in terms of features, ride comfort, power? Or do we compare in terms of who the competitors are in those price brackets (after all, why wouldn't a Manza owner consider buying a Sunny instead?).

There's no right selection of parameters. It changes from prospective buyer to prospective buyer. So we span that range.

Also - Manza is the sedan with the huge back seat legroom, that might be another reason for its name coming up more often in the discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Those planning to buy the Micra/Sunny from Orion Nissan, i recommend a gentleman named Narender (a fine sardar gentleman). Too humble and polite. Not the typical sales guy!
Please post here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...me-across.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Mobike: If my driving style is limits revving between 1500 to 3000rpm driving in the city, how would Sunny's engine fare?
As Mobike mentioned, the Sunny would be a pleasure to drive for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
In the interior pictures nissan-sunny-05.jpg and nissan-sunny-11.jpg, is that an air-vent just behind the handbrake?
Further along from that post >>
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Air-intake for the rear fan is situated behind the handbrake. Don't mistake it for a storage bin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Contrasting views!! ET says that power delivery and drivability is good.
Actually not at all! Though they have only covered the range of idle - 3000 RPM (ie starting off, city, crowded streets).

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The Rear ac "blower" too looks too high and might be a hindrance for elbow room of the front passengers.
Its not high at all, and its quite far back too. Not a hindrance at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
...Vista saying "Move to sedan class" still makes sense.
Jeez! That explains why my dad keeps asking me about some new "Vista SEDAN" thats been launched !

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 00:48   #138
BHPian

Excellent review.

The pricing seems right.

The interiors are pretty pleasant.

The exterior is pretty inoffensive... it's contemporary and wont offend many people.

The equipment list seems decent enough without wowing any one.

All in all, they've ticked all the right boxes to make this go a fairly strong contender in the battle of the midsizers. Except one.
Why launch with a petrol and not a diesel??? For god's sake, petrol's now 70 bucks a litre, and no one I know is considering a petrol car. My wife's actually considering giving up her beloved Honda City for the new diesel Swift (thanks to my coaxing) because she's doing 1000 k a month and the petrol bills are driving her crazy.

If Nissan had launched this as a diesel, sales would be MUCH higher. As it is, I think the buying public will evaluate it as an option, but then stick with something that they know is tried and tested. A diesel engine would have sweetened the deal.
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:27   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21
Mobike: If my driving style is limits revving between 1500 to 3000rpm driving in the city, how would Sunny's engine fare?
As Mobike mentioned, the Sunny would be a pleasure to drive for you.
Do you remember the rpm at a speed of say 100/120 kmph? That will give better idea to what extent crossing of 3000 rpm would be required. I'm sorry if you've already shared this and I have missed out.
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:44   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Nissan cheaper than Kia?! Wondering about brand perception of Nissan! You also mentioned that Nissan Versa is comparable with Toyota Yaris. Is it pricewise? Are the specs also comparable for three cars? Please throw some light.
That is correct. Kia is going thru a make over phase, instead of cheap the new manta is stylish (Ex Audi design head is the design head of Kia now). Kia Forte used to be one of the cheapest, but not any more. I do not think this "New car at used car price" image has any effect on Brand Nissan. Few years back when the petrol was cheap, US people preferred large cars and those who dont want to spent a lot went for used cars. Now the trend is changing, people wants small, fuel efficient cars. So small cars like Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Elantra are in demand now. Now for Versa, size/feature wise it is comparable to Toyota Yaris. But Yaris is slighlty smaller, more expensive and uglier, more over the Niissan introduced the Versa at the right time and was able to take advantage of the current demand for small cars.

Last edited by teamveevee : 23rd September 2011 at 11:48.
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 14:03   #141
BHPian

Nice review !!

I really liked the front view but as mentioned in the review the rear is not bad one but atleast not the best looks. They could have done a better job to reduce the bulky look of the rear.
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:41   #142
BHPian

Fantastic Review. As an overall package - Build, Ride, Handling, Price, Comfort, Feature, Power, VFM, Space etc would it be possible to do a comparo of the Sunny, Etios, Manza, Dezire and Verito? Honestly I would really love to see (and sure all TeamBHP readers too would want to as well) a quick rating comparo of various parameters with star ratings/notes? That would answer a lot of comparison related queries readers would have and tremendously increase the value of the already-invaluable TeamBHP official test drive reports.

something like DPreview's comparo - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q311...est/page17.asp

Best of the Bunch
Middle of the Road
Bottom of the Class

err...am i asking too much?

Last edited by sachinayak : 23rd September 2011 at 18:42. Reason: Link Enabling
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:03   #143
BHPian

A very good review. Looks like a promising product. One thing I like the most in the car is that it does not resemble it's hatchback sibling and looks more 'grown-up' unlike other C segment cars. Infact, if not pointed out, judging from the exterior looks I would have thought that this is an all new car launched in a higher segment. Maruti, Tata and Toyota - Please take note!

Last edited by pacman2881 : 23rd September 2011 at 19:07.
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:37   #144
Senior - BHPian

A thorough review from mobike008 and Rehaan, cheers guys. First impression is that the Sunny is a car to be driven in. The Sunny is more Rishi Kapoor, less Ranbir Kapoor.

It looks tame and the engine is no screamer, while the driving dynamics are not exactly class leading. Yet, the pliant ride and the generous rear space would make it an efficient yet affordable chauffeur driven car. Nissan would do well to promote it as one.
Old 24th September 2011, 13:02   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Do you remember the rpm at a speed of say 100/120 kmph? That will give better idea to what extent crossing of 3000 rpm would be required. I'm sorry if you've already shared this and I have missed out.
Sorry, we didnt take such minute notice but, i would say 120kmph can be acheived at 3000rpm or little higher. I am not completely sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Fantastic Review. As an overall package - Build, Ride, Handling, Price, Comfort, Feature, Power, VFM, Space etc would it be possible to do a comparo of the Sunny, Etios, Manza, Dezire and Verito? Honestly I would really love to see (and sure all TeamBHP readers too would want to as well) a quick rating comparo of various parameters with star ratings/notes?
As you may have noted that Team-BHP official reviews pay undivided attention to the test drive car in question and we try to focus on almost every aspect of the car to provide a " I have driven it" feeling to our members. You will agree this focus will get diluted if you convert a test drive review into a shoot-out. Not to mention another dilemma regarding which cars to choose for the shoot out especially since we now have quite a few cars in the C-segment and innumerable parameters into the equation.

If you can wait for a little longer, our members usually start new threads comparing the newcomers with existing cars during their buying process which can then provide the in-depth compro that you may need

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th September 2011 at 13:06.
Old 24th September 2011, 20:02   #146
Senior - BHPian

According to IndianAutosBlog Sunny diesel could arrive by December 2011, Sunny diesel will be here faster than Jan 2012.

Even better it will be in a better tune than the Micra/Logan version, 85 bhp and 200Nm torque. Not as high as the Fluence 105 bhp/240Nm tune, but still pretty decent.

I'll take it with a pinch of salt, especially the engine tune. But if its true, things are looking good for Nissan. Now if only they had more dealers/service centers...
Old 24th September 2011, 21:07   #147
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant and comprehensive review! Kudos.

I feel they have messed up the pricing. It sits across the entry level and C-segment. Expect cross shopping between segments especially when the top variant is considered.
Old 24th September 2011, 22:21   #148
Senior - BHPian

Today, I received a mail from Oxford Nissan, regarding the Sunny. Check out one of the pics in the in the mail. I think the Indian spec Sunny doesn't get this kind of steering controls. We get more basic controls only on the LHS.

Nissan Sunny : Test Drive & Review-nissansunnypics_4_640x480.jpg

The official price list of the Sunny has been uploaded in the New price check thread over here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2518507
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 23:06   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
According to IndianAutosBlog Sunny diesel could arrive by December 2011, Sunny diesel will be here faster than Jan 2012.

Even better it will be in a better tune than the Micra/Logan version, 85 bhp and 200Nm torque. Not as high as the Fluence 105 bhp/240Nm tune, but still pretty decent.

I'll take it with a pinch of salt, especially the engine tune. But if its true, things are looking good for Nissan. Now if only they had more dealers/service centers...
IF Nisaan India offers A/T option on Diesel XL and XV models it will shake the segment. For Nissan offering A/T should not be a problem as they have ready technology. I hope Nissan takes this route seriously
Old 24th September 2011, 23:23   #150
BHPian

Just saw a display car at HyperCity in Malad today. Great that Nissan is getting the display car out to folks because you have to sit in the rear seat to realize the sheer space. Its very very comfortable. The whole car seems well put together, there is an air of quiet solidity to it, its not flashy, nothing stands out, but there are no glaring deficiencies either.

More like a vehicle that will get its job done quietly and comfortably, families and the practical minded will love it, yuppies and the overtly brand conscious will probably tilt to the City or Vento, overtly because there is nothing objectionable about the Sunny, its doesn't look cheap. The looks will grow on most folks.

The diesel is sorely missed, given the Micra has it its inexplicable the absence of the diesel at launch, that would change the game completely in this segment. Given its on the way this is a very sensible launch by Nissan. A solid entry to the segment.

Most Viewed