Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 13:26   #136
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV5OO : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Noticed the text is upside down. Attention to details to small things make a great product then breaking conventions!

But still overall a great product for the money.

The text is not upside down. The visor has been detached on one side and flipped to bring it to the driver side window. When attached back to the normal visor postion, the text is upright. This is the case with most vehicles.
Xryder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 13:30   #137
BHPian

awesome review. Yes every XUV owner is member of purple club which includes free pickup and drop of vehicle. Given below details from Mahindra

Exceptional service experience
As a Purple Club member, you are entitled to exceptional service benefits, like a Pick-up & Drop facility, priority attention and 24-hour Road Assistance.

-----------------

btw i had a question my linea is 1280 kg 90 hp, and XUV is 2650 Kg with 140 bhp. If i get a RD box and pep my linea to 110 bhp, do i get the same kind of accelerating feel of XUV or somewhere close?

I feel handling of XUV is similar to Linea.
Old 14th October 2011, 13:32   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Buy WHY? When people are not ready to accept any shortcomings in the Etios twins which is built to a price (read interiors) why are they ready to do so with a Mahindra?

Is it a brand conception? Or, is it a perception that "Indian brand hai! Itna leeway to dena hi chahiye"? But then that is not acceptable with a Japanese or a European brand?

When you will be buying a 15L car (the on-road price for the 4WD version of the 5OO, I presume), will people accept the compromises in the electronics (if any) and the rattles and squeaks in the interiors?
So how come you were ok paying 25L for a SUV that had a hard ride and below par interiors similar to a car 10L lesser?

Whatever you buy will have shortcomings. you need to look at your requirements and see where you are willing to compromise and the overall package.

I have an Altis which is probably the least fun to drive car sold in India currently but I needed a comfortable car with decent features and bullet proof reliability. I had to overlook the super soft suspension, super light lifeless steering and less premium interiors.

Same way the XUV, it is not perfect like every car out there but is a fantastic overall package. You have to live with the shortcomings because you are getting it a price which noone else is able to match.

Even 50-60L cars have shortcomings. You don't get a spare wheel with a BMW costing 50L!!
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 13:33   #139
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Gr8 review worth the wait.

Do you guys think even if you take out all the electronics out of it, will the XUV still hold its value as a softroader?.

From the review, i felt that the basics of the xuv - say powertrain, the body and road dynamics, the ride & handling etc and the looks - inside as well as outside, were good enough to hold up to the 20 Lakh SUVs? (without considering the price differential!). If that is the case, then i might as well disable all the electronic gimmickery and just enjoy the drive!

And as long as none of the electronics which deal with the core behave erratically, i would not mind. On other words - can i safely buy the xuv in mumbai, take it to say jaisalmer, and then to manali, and then to leh, and back, with family, without any fear of being stranded just because some stupid electronics failed? i assume its more than capable of doing this safely!

~i also noticed the tyres screeching - what causes this? lose of traction? if it is so, isnt that bad?
~have a stupid doubt.. Say i am standing in the middle of a GQ, and the following vehicles are coming at me at say 150 km/hr (no brickbats, am not driving, am just taking the role of the stupid jaywalker) - XUV, fortuner, innova, crv - which car should i jump in front of, to save my skin
skuz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 13:38   #140
BANNED

Any news about AT version? M&M need AT for European markets, right?

Quote:
Buy WHY? When people are not ready to accept any shortcomings in the Etios twins which is built to a price (read interiors) why are they ready to do so with a Mahindra?
Because many alternatives for etios, and nothing to compete against xuv (for another year?)

Quote:
When you will be buying a 15L car (the on-road price for the 4WD version of the 5OO, I presume), will people accept the compromises in the electronics (if any) and the rattles and squeaks in the interiors?
YES, When only real xuv alternative is above 20 lakhs
Old 14th October 2011, 13:39   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, the question is: Can something be done about the front end design? Is there any 'real option' to get it replaced either from Mahindra or from outside? I mean 'bumper' for sure and preferably the 'grilll' as well. I absolutely love the vehicle and this will most probably be fighting for a spot at my garage very soon (along with Jetta/Laura/Fluence -if facelifted diesel is still reasonable/Vento). I am ready to go to any reputed design modifier who can do this for me. I am ready to spend substantial moolah on it as well, if needed. Can some 'standard' company like DC be able to help me with this? I know I may be the minority here, but this could be a make or break in my decision...
Mods, this is from my own earlier post. I am not trying to *bump* the thread but I need to seek the answers from somebody who has more info than me in this regard. Do you think any such thing is possible?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 14th October 2011 at 13:40.
Old 14th October 2011, 13:43   #142
Senior - BHPian

Great review as always but I don't like what I see of the plastics. I am also skeptical of the long term reliability gives its Mahindra's first monocoque and electronics! They haven't been good with them in the past.
Old 14th October 2011, 13:43   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
So how come you were ok paying 25L for a SUV that had a hard ride and below par interiors similar to a car 10L lesser?

Even 50-60L cars have shortcomings. You don't get a spare wheel with a BMW costing 50L!!
Just to correct you, I paid 21.4L on-road price for My Fortuner and not 25L (3.6L difference would have got me an Eon extra...lolz).

But seriously, I was OK with paying that for the rock solid reliability of the vehicle. Whether it was in the jungle I would traverse or the cruising the highway at midnight, I can be sure my vehicle would not let me down. I was OK for paying for it because I knew over the years its servicing/parts costs would be less than a mid-sizer.

I would like to say the same about Mahindra, but sadly after visiting their dealership recently, I do not see such a experience forthcoming, at least in the near future.

I can make compromises in the non-essentials like some interior parts etc. but NEVER in the essentials like the electronics which form the car's back-bone, and which may leave me stranded at midnight.

Last edited by dkaile : 14th October 2011 at 13:44.
Old 14th October 2011, 13:52   #144
Team-BHP Support

Can we take the brand/Car XX vs YY battle to some other thread please?
Thanks
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 13:56   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just to correct you, I paid 21.4L on-road price for My Fortuner and not 25L (3.6L difference would have got me an Eon extra...lolz).

I can make compromises in the non-essentials like some interior parts etc. but NEVER in the essentials like the electronics which form the car's back-bone, and which may leave me stranded at midnight.
3.6L is the road tax in Bangalore for the Fortuner. The Fortuner costs Rs.25.xxL in Bangalore onroad. The XUV costs 16.01L on road.

I doubt there will be any compromises in the essentials. The Scorpio is known to be reliably mechanically. The extra features they add in higher variants is what causes problems.

This is what I mean:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2127417

Unless someone actually uses the XUV on a long term and see if there any breakdowns of essential parts why should we assume that the they have compromised. Small niggles in a brand new car is expected.

The Fortuner when launched came with the worst brakes in any SUV. This was raised to Toyota and they had to fix this issue. Wouldn't you say this is an essential part that was compromised? :-)

I'm just saying lets not just assume that the XUV will have issues and will not be reliable in essentials. Maybe wait and watch before declaring the car unreliable.

Let's focus on the XUV at hand and not why someone chose a Fortuner and did not wait for XUV as the XUV doesn't serve your needs.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 14th October 2011 at 13:59.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 13:59   #146
Senior - BHPian

Top review manson. Thank you. One that was eagerly awaited by many, especially from those outside tier-1 cities where it is yet to be launched.

Wow! What an effort from Mahindra. The transition from rural UV maker to this, the XUV5OO has been slow yet steady for M&M. It makes one proud to see Indian car makers coming of age. Just to elicit comparison with the Fortuner is a huge milestone for Mahindra. And for potential Laura owners to seriously consider the XUV5OO is saying something!

As with most Mahindra vehicles, the styling is a bit overdone. The cheetah front end needs an after-market fix. The rear wheel arch/bump on the C-pillar could have been more subtle. And whats with the chinese hand fan thingie above the rear number plate?? The plum/beige/chocolate interior shades are a little quirky too, not to mention the impractical glossy center console.

That said, there are more than a few lovely touches on this car. Headlamps, alloys, infotainment screen, speedo all look classy. Those retro-ish ac vents look similar to window grills of old houses. Would have looked smashing in chrome finish. Exterior/Interior door handles look purrr..fect too.

Other little features like illuminated make-up mirrors and the lounge-bar lighting will be greatly appreciated by the fairer sex. In fact, can we have a full shot of the lounge lit cabin if possible please? The conversation mirror, apart from the obvious, is extra useful if you have a kid riding in a child seat in the 2nd row. Good touch.

I cannot wait to lay my hands on this car for a test drive. The handling as described seems too good to be true for a Mahindra. I have to see for myself.

Over to you then, M&M. Show us you can deliver on a trouble-free and rewarding ownership experience.
MaserQ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 13:59   #147
BHPian

The point out here is that Mahindra made a very smart move to bridge the 10 lac and 20 lac + bracket. And the "hoopla" as stated by dkaile, is primarily because the customers were actualy in dearth of choices on date. But then again with my 15 Lacs, I would rather expect a car with lesser gizmos, but much higher on reliability quotent. What we see out here is mostly Impulse triggered buying pattern (IMHO). And unless we give XUV500 a decent couple of years on road under various conditions, it would be difficult to conclude and confirm its true robustness, as quite rightly mentioned by Manson.

Now comming back to the greens as they would say. Did anyone find any discounts offered on the scorp VLX anywhere in the country? As quite a lot of people would/ already have upgraded their bookings from Scorp VLX to XUV 500. And what bout the test drives? are you guys getting test drives in time ( someone told me M&M is declining test drives on XUV, though the Calcutta dealer promised me one on 23/11, 22nd being the launch date here in kolkata)
Old 14th October 2011, 14:03   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I doubt there will be any compromises in the essentials.

Unless someone actually uses the XUV on a long term and see if there any breakdowns of essential parts why should we assume that the they have compromised. Small niggles in a brand new car is expected.
That's re-assuring. I am not trying to run down the XUV in any way but in fact I am a "prospective" buyer of this vehicle, and hence my apprehensions which I wanted clarifications about. After having tasted good quality from my present brands, I didn't want to be let down by taking any decisions in haste.

I am waiting and watching for some Initial Ownership threads before I can go and make the booking when they re-open.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 14:05   #149
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Superb Review. Some questions.

How many seconds did it take for the 0-100 dash?
How do the Tyretronics manage to tell the pressure on the spare wheel ?

Also do you have any pics of the optional alloys offered on the XUV? They look good on the car.
Old 14th October 2011, 14:06   #150
BHPian

Any guesses, when will it be launched in other cities?? i am eagerly waiting for one.

Most Viewed