Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 09:23   #1876
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Happy to announce that I took delivery of XUV W8 FWD last week. It's a mixed feelings week so far. Moments of happiness and some frustrations. It's a Jan 2012 model.

1. It's a blast to drive.
2. Gear seems to have become a bit smoother than the TD cars. But I'm not sure if they had put synthetic oil as some people have mentioned. Maybe after adding synthetic oil, it'll be still better.
3. Clutch is hard, but better than the TD vehicles. And I got used to it after driving some 100 kms. This is ok now.
4. Small but useful features make this vehicle a lot more interesting. (Cornering lights, hill hold control, auto door lock, lumbar support, BT phone)
5. I've installed a reverse camera(Mahindra genuine accessory). That helps a lot in parking the car.
6. AC is super effective. I'm putting ECON mode all the time.
7. Mahindra buying experience and customer service so far has been fantastic.
8. A service executive turned up the next day at office to explain the HowTos. That turned out to be quite useful as well.

Now the frustrations
1. The so called 'scraping noise' is audible at the 20-40 km range.
2. After fitting the reverse camera, they activated it using a software update. But the video wasn't coming properly. Also the DVD video failed to play. They replaced the main infotainment system component. (They called it the silver box). Anyway, working fine now.
3. The mirrors are hitting the window borders while folding automatically.
4. Old people are finding it tough to climb up without a side step. I'll have to go for it though it spoils the looks to some extend IMO.

Those are the findings so far. I'll update this later.
tachobells is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 09:50   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Happy to announce that I took delivery of XUV W8 FWD last week. It's a mixed feelings week so far. Moments of happiness and some frustrations. It's a Jan 2012 model.

Those are the findings so far. I'll update this later.
Congratulations Tachobells on taking the delivery of XUV W8 FWD last week. The Moments of happiness far outweigh those of frustrations & I am sure with the kind of support from M&M the latter would soon become negligible.

Enjoy your car & wishing you many happy (s)miles with it. Please keep us posted about your experience preferably in a separate ownership thread of yours.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 10:18   #1878
BHPian

Tweet trouble for Anand Mahindra regarding XUV 500 TVC. This is a bit off topic but an interesting read nevertheless.

No, Anand Mahindra, that ain’t the truth

-- Wind
Wind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 10:52   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
5. I've installed a reverse camera(Mahindra genuine accessory). That helps a lot in parking the car.
How much you spent for this ? have you installed it from Mahindra showroom itself or somewhere outside?
Old 9th February 2012, 11:09   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinghal80

How much you spent for this ? have you installed it from Mahindra showroom itself or somewhere outside?
IIRC, it was 3500. Yes fitted from showroom.
tachobells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 11:22   #1881
BHPian

@ Tachobells: Congrats for your possession. Which colour did you go for? Please put an ownership thread for your drive with lots of pics. Wish you many moments of happiness and hope that they always outshine the niggles by a long margin. Hope that M&M eliminates the niggles noticed in the XUV going forward.
Old 9th February 2012, 11:26   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Happy to announce that I took delivery of XUV W8 FWD last week.
Congratulations tachobells!!

I'm getting mine delivered in the next few days; awaiting with mixed feelings (strange, isn't it? You spend 15+lakhs and don't feel so excited about taking delivery)

Who is your dealer? Any initial feedback from the RM about the scraping noise?
smopuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 11:32   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells
Congratulations Tachobells. Do share some pictures. I am getting delivery of my Xuv next week and am keen on knowing the details about the reverse camera.

1. What was the cost?
2. Where on the vehicle has it been fitted?
3. Is there a provision given or were there any holes drilled to fit the cam?
4. Was it plug and play or any modifications were required to the wiring by cutting or splicing the wires?

Do share pictures of the cam fitment? And enjoy your new ride.
Old 9th February 2012, 12:17   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smopuri View Post

I'm getting mine delivered in the next few days; awaiting with mixed feelings (strange, isn't it? You spend 15+lakhs and don't feel so excited about taking delivery)

Yeah, but as AutoIndian mentioned a few posts above, the pros far outweighs the cons. No reason to feel scared

Dealer is Sireesh Auto, Blr. I've not told about the scraping noise. I don't want to give my car for 'debugging' the issue right now. Let them figure out first through Mahindra training. This is a common issue now and I hope Mahindra RnD would be on it.
tachobells is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 13:06   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smopuri View Post

Exactly my thoughts! I haven't seen a single ownership thread so far where the owner is absolutely happy with the car. For someone like me, I really WANT TO like the XUV and buy it soon, but Mahindra isn't making it easy. Simple things like the side mirrors hitting the door on folding ?? What is Mahindra thinking. This isn't rocket science.

Although, I love the XUV but am wary of spending 15lakhs on a car and then spending the next 6 months visiting the garage 20 times.
sharninder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 14:02   #1886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells

IIRC, it was 3500. Yes fitted from showroom.
Hi, congrats on getting your xuv. Please start your ownership thread with plenty of pictures.
Does the reverse camera have night vision?
Old 9th February 2012, 19:36   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've not told about the scraping noise. I don't want to give my car for 'debugging' the issue right now. Let them figure out first through Mahindra training. This is a common issue now and I hope Mahindra RnD would be on it.
Sorry but could you please explain about this noise that is being reported by other members as well. I have driven my XUV for 3500 kms till now and haven't noticed any noise, or maybe i didn't noticed it.
Old 9th February 2012, 20:09   #1888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap

Hi, congrats on getting your xuv. Please start your ownership thread with plenty of pictures.
Does the reverse camera have night vision?
Nope. But with the reverse lamp on, the visibility is decent. I will post some pics soon.
Old 9th February 2012, 22:28   #1889
BHPian

I'm told my XUV AWD W8 White will be delivered Mar 18. Has *anyone* on this forum been delivered an AWD? Do you 'know' someone who's got it yet? Have you been promised an earlier date? I've not read about the AWD anywhere on the web, so I am very curious to know what I'm getting on Mar 18.

Last edited by timetraveller : 9th February 2012 at 22:30.
Old 9th February 2012, 23:34   #1890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveller View Post
I'm told my XUV AWD W8 White will be delivered Mar 18. Has *anyone* on this forum been delivered an AWD? Do you 'know' someone who's got it yet? Have you been promised an earlier date? I've not read about the AWD anywhere on the web, so I am very curious to know what I'm getting on Mar 18.
When did you book the car? You might be getting the AWD itself, guess I have seen some one who got the AWD. Again, in the second slot, there are NO bookings taken for AWD, because they want to cater to the guys who booked it the first time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks