Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 19:31   #2266
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
During this week, its the second time I am seeing XUV traveling in a rescue truck. Both vehicles didn't seem to have any external damages, so assuming that they were break-down cases.

I had taken 2 lotteries during the second phase, I didn't get a booking, was planning book again during third phase. Now skeptical about the quality of the vehicle in long run. Posting one of those pictures I have taken using mobile camera from a moving vehicle. This one seem to be an AWD version from the sticker on boot lid. Apologies for the poor picture quality.
I guess this is the same awd xuv posted above. This owner (from Bangalore) tried to take the xuv down the beach and it got stuck in the soft sand before reaching the hard sand at the waters edge in Udupi district. They failed to extract it but during their attempts the clutch was burnt was what i heard. The xuv was extracted by mahindra personal and taken to Bangalore on top of a truck which is the one you posted i think.
I don't think the xuv is to blame here. I have seen 4x4 with low ratio get stuck in the soft sand so cant blame the xuv which has only high ratio 4x4.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img00820201204081343.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img00821201204081343.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img00822201204081344.jpg  

dockap is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 19:55   #2267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
I guess this is the same awd xuv posted above. This owner (from Bangalore) tried to take the xuv down the beach and it got stuck in the soft sand before reaching the hard sand at the waters edge in Udupi district. They failed to extract it but during their attempts the clutch was burnt was what i heard. The xuv was extracted by mahindra personal and taken to Bangalore on top of a truck which is the one you posted i think.
I don't think the xuv is to blame here. I have seen 4x4 with low ratio get stuck in the soft sand so cant blame the xuv which has only high ratio 4x4.
This case is about the driving skills rather than the vehicle. Instead of pushing the clutch, effort should have been to provide a foothold to the wheels rather than attempting to force out the vehicle by revving the vehicle which would have contributed to the further sinking of the wheels.
m_upreti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 20:04   #2268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Got this by email today

I am inclining towards booking the XUV again

-- Wind
A strange thing happened today.

I had applied for the XUV draw at SKS automobiles Bangalore. Today I got a call from Sireesh auto, Bangalore stating that Mahindra has re-started booking for all the applicants who were unlucky in the lottery and I can book the XUV from Sireesh even though I had taken the lottery at SKS. The person even knew the color of the vehicle I had booked.

When I checked with the XUV help line some time back they told me that I need to go to the same dealer where I had applied for the draw.

-- Wind
Old 12th April 2012, 20:06   #2269
BHPian

Quote:
During this week, its the second time I am seeing XUV traveling in a rescue truck. Both vehicles didn't seem to have any external damages, so assuming that they were break-down cases.

I had taken 2 lotteries during the second phase, I didn't get a booking, was planning book again during third phase. Now skeptical about the quality of the vehicle in long run. Posting one of those pictures I have taken using mobile camera from a moving vehicle. This one seem to be an AWD version from the sticker on boot lid. Apologies for the poor picture quality.
Well on the 10th while on my way to work -I see another one bites the dust!!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img00073201204100844.jpg  

Old 12th April 2012, 22:29   #2270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
A strange thing happened today.

I had applied for the XUV draw at SKS automobiles Bangalore. Today I got a call from Sireesh auto, Bangalore stating that Mahindra has re-started booking for all the applicants who were unlucky in the lottery and I can book the XUV from Sireesh even though I had taken the lottery at SKS. The person even knew the color of the vehicle I had booked.

When I checked with the XUV help line some time back they told me that I need to go to the same dealer where I had applied for the draw.
-- Wind
SKS has got some issues accepting bookings, not sure if its due to financial problems (that can be a rumor, I have heard from soneone so dont trust). So, all SKS customers are redirected to Sireesh now. They have got the entire database of SKS customer who booked during Feb this year, guess they may have got it from M&M directly!
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 23:35   #2271
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Dockap. From the KA-05 series I believe it is the same. That is a good information. Though, is it common that the clutch can be damaged by trying out something like this? I thought a 4X4 clutch should be strong enough to hold on to such abuses.

Anyways, I have booked XUV today. The exact date of delivery will be known after 2 weeks time. Off the records my RM said I may get the vehicle within 2-3 months time.

Thanks
-HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 12th April 2012 at 23:44.
Old 12th April 2012, 23:42   #2272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Dokap. From the KA-05 series I believe it is the same. That is a good information. Though, is it common that the clutch can be damaged by trying out something like this? I thought a 4X4 clutch should be strong enough to hold on to such abuses.

Anyways, I have booked XUV today. The exact date of delivery will be known after 2 weeks time. Off the records my RM said I may get the vehicle within 2-3 months time.

Thanks
-HCP
Congrats, HCP!
Do you get an RM assigned as soon as you book! I guess he will be assigned at the time of the delivery!
I have booked too, but the rep said that he will enter my application tomorrow into the system (some approval needed to go from individual to co. name).

Insurance on my existing car requires renewal this month end, is there any ways I can make use of the NCB on that policy for XUV and save some money? I dont know about the delivery date though, as you indicated, one should come to know by/around April 25.
I'm hoping that I dont get JK Elanzo (its a W6) and alloy is something I want to go with at the begining. Lets see.
Old 12th April 2012, 23:50   #2273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Congrats, HCP!
Do you get an RM assigned as soon as you book! I guess he will be assigned at the time of the delivery!
I have booked too, but the rep said that he will enter my application tomorrow into the system (some approval needed to go from individual to co. name).

I'm hoping that I dont get JK Elanzo (its a W6) and alloy is something I want to go with at the begining. Lets see.
Ohhh, Sorry for the confusion, then its not RM, but the showroom excutive who took my booking.

For tyre make, its not dependent on W6 / W8. It purly depends on the inventory at the time of manufacturing your vehicle as per the dealer.
Old 13th April 2012, 00:20   #2274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats, HCP!

Insurance on my existing car requires renewal this month end, is there any ways I can make use of the NCB on that policy for XUV and save some money? I dont know about the delivery date though, as you indicated, one should come to know by/around April 25.
Ketan, You can always save money by transferring you NCB to new vehicle. Make sure you do that when time comes.

As for JK tyres, well i am not sure what issue JK's have. I have till now havent faced any isssues with them. My Fiesta came with them and i drove around 60K on them till they died on me. After that i got Bridgstone for fiesta, which again have done about 50K and still can do another 10K i guess. So i guess JK are not that bad.

Now i have W6, again with JK's on them. They still feel ok to me.

As for alloys, yes please do go ahead and add them from outside, you will get lots of option now since XUV is old now. When i got alloys for my W6, i had only few options that too i had to follow up with dealer for 2 months.

FYI: heres a pic of mine just to give an idea

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0011.jpg
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 00:29   #2275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Ketan, You can always save money by transferring you NCB to new vehicle. Make sure you do that when time comes.

As for JK tyres, well i am not sure what issue JK's have. I have till now havent faced any isssues with them. My Fiesta came with them and i drove around 60K on them till they died on me. After that i got Bridgstone for fiesta, which again have done about 50K and still can do another 10K i guess. So i guess JK are not that bad.

Now i have W6, again with JK's on them. They still feel ok to me.

As for alloys, yes please do go ahead and add them from outside, you will get lots of option now since XUV is old now. When i got alloys for my W6, i had only few options that too i had to follow up with dealer for 2 months.

Thank you Nitin,

yes, I remember taking a look at this picture either in this same thread or another. Your alloys look very decent. The option that M&M has comes for about 33K or so I guess. I shall surely find out something outside once I get the approx delivery date.
I want to make sure I get the right pcd and right alloys, dont want to go overboard and put something on that dosnt suite the vehicle in terms of the design. Is there a big difference if you get it from dealer and one from outside?

I will start looking at the Insurance thread now for more speicifc details. If I renew my existing car insurance at this month end, will I be able to take benefit of NCB from that policy to the new policy I buy from the same company (or diff company)? I dont want to go OT on this thread, I guess it should quickly be answered on Insurance query thread.

I have a pair of H1 and H7 HIDs in my Palio right now which is bit too much for it and causes light to go randomly anywhere (since no projectors) which sometimes causes problems for oncoming vehicles if not aligned and set low. I shall plan to get the H7 (low beams) to the new car if possible, dont think using HID for high beam will be useful. however, that is high Kelvin spec so looks more of white light and dont know how it will match with the usual high beams. has anyone moved to HIDs yet! Experiences to share!
Thank you.

Last edited by Ketan : 13th April 2012 at 00:44.
Old 13th April 2012, 07:47   #2276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
When i got alloys for my W6, i had only few options that too i had to follow up with dealer for 2 months.

Attachment 915293
Hey nitinralli, even though you had only a few options in alloys to choose from, your XUV still looks meaner in the current set! It blends nicely with the color combination too.

Best,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 12:45   #2277

Quote:
I agree with you. The exclusivity is gone and we knew that its going to happen very soon with a capable product at a good value that XUV is being considered at this point in time. Another 6-10 months down the line, at least in metros, you will see this many of them, like how we encounter a Scorpio on the road whenever, whereever we wish.
I see there are 2 XUVs in my layout (they looked to be from the first lot since I see them for quite somtime now) and if I go out on Sarjapur main road, I can see few every few hours or so.

So, I'm not expecting much on exclusivity front from the vehicle now, but for sure it should take you places with comfort and without much niggles now.
Well said. If exclusivity is the main factor for buying a vehicle, then we will have to shell out a whole lot of money, for example on a BMW or a Mercedes. As long as it has good looks, good design, quality manufacturing it will be a good vehicle to own and drive. Like somebody said in one of the posts earlier, if you want peace of mind go for a boring innova (innova enthusiasts, please excuse) but if you are willing to go with some niggles, buy the exciting XUV!
Old 14th April 2012, 14:47   #2278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti.Rahul View Post
I have booked my XUV through Koncept NOIDA and these guys have quoted an insurance figure of 45K, taking insurance from Reliance which is one of the cheapest at around 25K! I am gonna take their case when my delivery time comes so you too, tighten your fist, and goto the dealer and accost him with the online figures. Rise NitinRalli, RISE!
Agree with you, I am going through a similar process with G3 Motors, Mumbai for ICICI Lombard 0% depreciation wherein their quote is almost 50% higher .
Old 14th April 2012, 21:16   #2279
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
I dont know about the delivery date though, as you indicated, one should come to know by/around April 25.
I took the leap of faith too. Booked a W8.

I was at the showroom (Kundan Motors) around 12:30pm. Absolutely empty showroom and today is a Saturday+Bank-Holiday. The sales-executive had a printed list against which he verified my lottery booking details and filled up the order form. Gave a cheque for 40K INR. No other documentation was asked as they already had a copy from the lottery time. He filled up '16 weeks' as the expected delivery time and mentioned to me that I would get the vehicle much earlier than that, may be even 4 weeks from now. He mentioned that on 22nd Apr, I would get a call from M&M directly to inform me about the delivery date.

When asked, he mentioned that the bookings for the ones who lost the lottery are open from 11th and would continue till 18th Apr. There have been ~35 bookings since 11th Apr at his showroom. He mentioned that the 'open to all' bookings/lottery would open around Aug'2012.

Last edited by SDP : 14th April 2012 at 21:18.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 06:52   #2280
BHPian

Quote:
I think it to do with not having a diff lock which XUV does not have. The loose wheel will keep spinning out all the power. This is where the Safari 4X4 scores with a rear LSD in such a situation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks