Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 20:19   #2506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar
No Offenses to anyone, but I alongwith 2 other persons (that I know personally) don't have any issues with the brakes.

Not sure what people expect from brakes, or they tend to drive at such speeds where it is not possible to control car anyways.
OR
may they tend to put pressure on brake pedal at the last moment only.

I have been using my W6 for 5000 kms now & been on Highways (4.5K out of those 5K) but hardly faced any issues apart from screeching sound of tyres (in case of very severe brake pressure applied).
In fact my wife's beat d is exactly opposite. There is zero travel. There are times when we out of caution put our foot on break without any immediate need for breaking. In Beat I have to remain extra cautious because as soon as I put my foot on break paddle it breaks very hard. I personally feel very insecure in such a setup.
Another reason why it should be like in XUV is that the break lights at the back comes fraction of a second BEFORE actual breaks are applied. That's very helpful for vehicles immediately behind me.
Old 22nd May 2012, 20:30   #2507
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Another reason why it should be like in XUV is that the break lights at the back comes fraction of a second BEFORE actual breaks are applied. That's very helpful for vehicles immediately behind me.
This is a very good practice/feature. Even I follow it in my car. When you have to warn the drivers behind you about the dangers/hurdles in front of you, tap the brake pedal slightly. This would light up the brake lamps & warn the drivers behind you without actually applying the brakes. This also prevents tailgating & potential rear-endings.
Old 22nd May 2012, 23:59   #2508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
In fact my wife's beat d is exactly opposite. There is zero travel. There are times when we out of caution put our foot on break without any immediate need for breaking. In Beat I have to remain extra cautious because as soon as I put my foot on break paddle it breaks very hard. I personally feel very insecure in such a setup.
Well, don’t want to run into a controversy over this. But in my opinion the brake should do its primary duty first, that is stopping the vehicle safely by minimize the lead time from vehicle side than warning the vehicle from behind that I am going to apply brake. End of the day, no point in I am rear ending the vehicle at front and making sure the vehicle coming from behind didn't hit me

There are many manufacturers who will intentionally keep the brake shoes more close to the discs by detecting a possible collision to make sure the moment driver press the brake pedal it can start acting on applying the brake without having to have any lead time to avoid accidents. Refer the following link: Brake assist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Companies like Volvo and Mercedes would have done a lot of R&D on such a systems effectiveness before getting them into production. In brake pre-charging, effectively they reduce the brake pedal travel without braking action so that there wont be any delay in action once driver started braking.

Obviously we cannot expect such a system in this price range, but they can always reduce the reaction time by making the brake pedal travel without action to a minimum. This doesn't mean that I would expect a screeching braking reaction from the moment I touch the pedal. It should be progressive and predictive so that the driver will be able to judge the braking distance properly. For example I like Jetta's braking feel as the best in the 15 - 20 lakhs class I could drive.

Thanks
-HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 23rd May 2012 at 00:01.
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:39   #2509
BHPian

Could this be a matter of getting used to, since most cars have different levels of travel and feel.

The key point is whether it is effective when pressed in normal driving and in emergencies, deficiency here would be a significant concern.

Most of the brakes I have used have very little play, press it softly and it starts the braking action, a bit harder and in degrees and it stops more aggressively, slam it and there will be resistance when you do this and the car will deliver maximum braking power.

Last edited by raul : 23rd May 2012 at 02:40.
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:14   #2510

Hey guys, my XUV500 is being delivered on 26 May in Chandigarh.
I am travelling to India on 25th from London, hence I requested the dealer about a week ago to make delivery on 26 May which they have agreed to. Car is a gift to my parents in India. They seem tired of the Verna CRDI I gifted to them in 2008. Its only run 35,000 km's in 5 years LOL...

- The XUV500 VIN number was texted to me today by the sales Rep from India, first 12 letters are MAI **** **C6D, hence this appears to be Apr 2012 stock, please could someone on Team BHP affirm the same for me, thanks.

- The sales folks actually gave me a chassis number & an Engine number yesterday. However, I told them the vehicle should not be a crisis vehicle i.e. dent repaired, bumper repaired or a customer returned defect or any such messup being thrown at me or parts replaced with defective stuff. I reiterated to them repeatedly not to play biggin ballers with me or face hard consequences. The sales chap texted me again in 1 hour and asked me to cancel the engine and chassis number provided yesterday. He gave me a new VIN number and told me that the vehicle has just come off the lorry today .

- I also told them that their Teflon offer is fake as Teflon is not made in India any longer and as to why most dealerships in India were fobbing cutomers off?? That's Rs. 5000 i.e. £ 60 (lot of money), he laughed it away sort of admittedly. So, I went to my local Halfords centre in Staines and have bought a "Turtle 12 Month car paint sealant" + an Autoglym sealant + rain and dust repellent + car wax (wet or dry application) + Bug repellant + tar remover + wind screen water repellent all of which I also use in the UK, all this for about £50 and got 3for2 offer.
I told the Mahindra sales rep that they would have to apply the Sealants on my car for free & he agreed, said "we will do it for free in front of you sir". I bought the below items today in Halfords Staines. My suitcase looks like a car detailer's bag.

Halfords | Turtle Wax Extra Gloss Sealer Wax 500ml

Halfords | Turtle Wax Wet & Dry Spray Wax 500ml

Halfords | Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine Car Polish 500ml

Halfords | Simoniz Bug Shifter 500ml

Halfords | Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine Car Polish 500ml

Halfords | Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover 500ml

Halfords | Simoniz Protection Car Wash Shampoo 5 Litre

- Dealer readily agreed to let me get my own insurance on a single request from me. I have got quote for Rs. 17654 fully comprehensive w/o bumper to bumper. With the Bumper to Bumper it's Rs. 22312, this is with 50% NCB that I am bringing from UK. I had Sold my 3rd car a 330d in 2010, the NCB certificate has been sitting around at home. Just checked with my insurance agent in India if UK certificate could be used, he then contacted his RO and agreed 50% NCB with original certificate. The policy is transferable to India as per GOI India Motor tariff. Insurance company is Oriental insurance and all companies are obliged to accept European NCB, my UK certificate is actually 80% or 8 years NCB.

- Registration in Chandigarh is 4%, it was flat Rs. 2500/- yes Rs. 2500/- until April, has just gone up in May. Poor luck on that for me.

Guys, wish me luck so I can avoid any last minute surprises, Fingers crossed.. I am really excited. I have a flight to Delhi on 25th, have already has some suprises. Tossers and conners.

Cheers all
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:39   #2511
BHPian

Just received my W8 back from the 1st service (total bill Rs.1965). Looks like they did some firmware upgrade, I don't hear the 'annoying' Mahindra Rise audio clip anymore - what a relief!

How do I check the firmware version? Thanks.
Old 23rd May 2012, 17:44   #2512

Quote:
Originally Posted by smopuri View Post
Just received my W8 back from the 1st service (total bill Rs.1965). Looks like they did some firmware upgrade, I don't hear the 'annoying' Mahindra Rise audio clip anymore - what a relief!

How do I check the firmware version? Thanks.
Check out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...lutions-8.html
Look for a post by Gerardfdz on 28th February.
tupin22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 13:00   #2513
Senior - BHPian

The car has come to the yard. Registration tomorrow and delivery on monday yay!!
Old 24th May 2012, 13:05   #2514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
The car has come to the yard. Registration tomorrow and delivery on monday yay!!
Congratulations buddy!

Wishing you a great delivery and ownership experience next. Please upload some pictures and will wait for short term report soon.

I dont know why, but my excitement going down every day as I approch the delivery (I have been told in another 10-12 days recently - I'm not following up so aggresively as I did with my first car), may be I'm becoming too practical or am too busy.

Let us know about the insurance option that you are going with and any accessories that you have planned.

drive safe!
Old 27th May 2012, 13:53   #2515
BHPian

Hey Guys!!

I just got delivery of my XUV500 W8 yesterday. Brilliant car! Loving every minute with it.

However, everything wasn't all smooth sailing. Facing the following issues:

1. There is a slight wheel alignment issue. I took it for a 100 KM drive and noticed that I have to hold the steering wheel clockwise by around 5 degrees. If I leave it free, it starts drifting towards the left. Will get that checked from the service center tomorrow. Anybody else faced this?

2. The trip meter does not work! The button on the right stalk does nothing. is it supposed to show me trip details or am I missing something?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20120526_142429.jpg  

Old 27th May 2012, 18:21   #2516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester
Hey Guys!!

I just got delivery of my XUV500 W8 yesterday. Brilliant car! Loving every minute with it.

1. There is a slight wheel alignment issue. I took it for a 100 KM drive and noticed that I have to hold the steering wheel clockwise by around 5 degrees. If I leave it free, it starts drifting towards the left. Will get that checked from the service center tomorrow. Anybody else faced this?

2. The trip meter does not work! The button on the right stalk does nothing. is it supposed to show me trip details or am I missing something?
Congrats on getting your xuv
Regarding query no 1 all roads have a slight slope towards the outer edge so it is normal for a vehicle to drift slowly to the left if the steering is not held.
For query no 2 the trip meter button is to the right of the instrument console that means its at the bottom right of the rpm meter outer aspect.
Old 27th May 2012, 18:49   #2517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post
Hey Guys!!

If the pulling is happening on a road (mostly undivided) which has slope towards the edges, it is normal, but only at low speeds. It should never happen on flat roads, like the 4 lane highways
Old 28th May 2012, 12:55   #2518
BANNED

***XUV Bookings to open from 8th June***

Just read on the FB XUV page that the XUV bookings are all set to open from 8th June onwards across the country and NOT limited to the 19 cities where it was initially launched.

IMO this should again garner a decent response owing to the XUV demand all along coupled with the hedonistic petrol hike.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:59   #2519
Senior - BHPian

Source : Facebook

Quote:
Mahindra XUV500 to open All India bookings from 8th June 2012!

• 9 months production capacity sold out for the XUV500 due to overwhelming response from customers in just 2 rounds of booking.
• To cater to the growing demand, production capacity ramped up to 4000 vehicles per month.

Mumbai, May 28, 2012: Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (M&M), India’s leading SUV manufacturer, today announced that it will open bookings for its cheetah-inspired XUV500 from 8th June, 2012. With this announcement, the XUV500 will now be available across India including the existing 19 cities where it had been launched earlier.

In the second phase of bookings, the XUV500 was made available in 19 cities across India and had received an overwhelming 25000+ booking applications from customers. Out of these booking requests, the names of 7200 winning applicants were selected through an automated process, called the XUV500 Draw.
While announcing the nation-wide opening of bookings for the XUV500, Pravin Shah, Chief Executive, Automotive Division, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. said, ‘It has been an incredible journey so far for the XUV500 and we are pleased to take the product national. We have been inundated with requests for re-opening of bookings not just from existing cities but also from cities where the XUV500 was not available. Now that we have ramped-up our production capacity significantly, we are confident that we will be able to take care of the growing all-India demand for the XUV500.”
The Mahindra XUV500 comes with cheetah-inspired styling, refinement like never before and enhanced technology and safety features along with luxurious interiors, making the XUV500 an apt choice for sedan and SUV buyers.

Awards and Accolades:
The XUV500 has received a tremendous response from customers and reviewers alike. It has received 22 awards so far. These comprise of the prestigious ‘Car of the Year’, ‘SUV of the year’ and ‘Viewers Choice Car of the Year’ by ET – Zigwheels Awards 2011. It has also received laurels like ‘SUV of the Year’, ‘Readers Choice Award’ and ‘Best Value for Money Car’ from Top Gear Magazine Awards 2011, ‘SUV of the Year’ and ‘Viewers Choice Car of the Year’ awards from CNBC TV18–Overdrive Awards 2012 and ‘SUV of the Year’ from NDTV Car & Bike Awards 2012 and Business Standard Motoring 2012 Awards. The XUV500 was also declared the ‘SUV of the Year’, ‘Best Value for Money Car of the Year’ and ‘Viewers Choice SUV of the Year’ at the Bloomberg UTV Autocar India Awards. It also received the ‘SUV of the Year Award 2011-2012’ from Top Gear Malayalam and two Golden Steering Wheel Awards 2012 from Auto Bild India in two categories viz. ‘SUV/UV 2011 Award’ and the ‘Viewer's Choice Award’ where the viewers of Headlines Today and Aaj Tak polled for their favourite set of hot wheels. It also received the ‘SUV of the Year’ award from Car India Awards 2012. Acclaimed bloggers like TeamBHP, Vicky.in, Motor Vikatan, Auto Junction and Auto Beam also awarded the XUV500 with ‘Car of the Year / SUV of the Year’ titles.

XUV500 has also been rated the most reputed auto brand in the Reputation Benchmark Study conducted by Bluebytes.
XUV500 has already notched up prestigious wins in rallies like Desert storm, Desert Dash & Dakshin Dare in the extreme category. The Dakshin Dare victory marked a triumph for the XUV500, becoming the first diesel SUV to win an extreme category in the history of Indian rallying.

About The Mahindra Group:
The Mahindra Group focuses on enabling people to rise. Mahindra operates in the key industries that drive economic growth, enjoying a leadership position in tractors, utility vehicles, information technology and vacation ownership. Mahindra has a presence in the automotive industry, agribusiness, aerospace, components, consulting services, defence, energy, financial services, industrial equipment, logistics, real estate, retail, steel and two wheelers.
A USD 14.4 billion multinational group based in Mumbai, India, Mahindra employs more than 144,000 people in over 100 countries.
In 2011, Mahindra featured on the Forbes Global 2000 list, a listing of the biggest and most powerful listed companies in the world. Dun & Bradstreet also ranked Mahindra at No. 1 in the automobile sector in its list of India’s Top 500 Companies. In 2010, Mahindra featured in the Credit Suisse Great Brands of Tomorrow.
In 2011, Mahindra acquired a majority stake in Korea’s SsangYong Motor Company.
Old 28th May 2012, 13:59   #2520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Congrats on getting your xuv
Regarding query no 1 all roads have a slight slope towards the outer edge so it is normal for a vehicle to drift slowly to the left if the steering is not held.
For query no 2 the trip meter button is to the right of the instrument console that means its at the bottom right of the rpm meter outer aspect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If the pulling is happening on a road (mostly undivided) which has slope towards the edges, it is normal, but only at low speeds. It should never happen on flat roads, like the 4 lane highways
I got it checked from the Service centre and turns out there was a slight alignment issue. Drives like a charm now!

Regarding the second query I had posted, I never noticed that there is a button on the right hand side of the instrument cluster! It blended in so well with the sides!

Loved the drive to office. Everyone is asking to sit inside and about all the features etc etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks