Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2012, 14:00   #2776
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Me too. I hope this app is developed further and in future maybe they can make it receive info from the IS of the XUV through bluetooth and we can see all the info and engine/ECU parameters in real time on our android devices. Imagine starting and unlocking your car from your phone. Maybe even drive it and control it from the phone like i saw James Bond do in one of his movies.
Good imagination..
Also think what happens if your phone is stolen.

Just tried the app. It's good. Not bloated with so many things, but could be very useful at times. No need to flip through the manual anymore for warning light definition etc.

Last edited by tachobells : 13th July 2012 at 14:14. Reason: more info
tachobells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 15:01   #2777
BHPian

Just found a link of an Australian review that says
"The export XUV500 is also made using galvanised steel imported from South Korea, while the local version makes do with Indian-made non-galvanised steel."

Mahindra 2012 XUV500 - Mahindra primes first SUV for Australia | GoAuto
methilsunkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 15:56   #2778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
How is the glass quality. Is it the genuine spare part offered by Mahindra.
Its a original Mahindra spare. Same make as the original glass.
Old 13th July 2012, 21:10   #2779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Hey guys there is a android app released for your XUV500. Just open play store on your android device and type XUV500 and click search and download the app.
good find dockap! looks like Mahindra is going all out. This must be a first in the indian auto industry.
Old 13th July 2012, 21:39   #2780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb

Its a original Mahindra spare. Same make as the original glass.
If it is same make then there is same risk that it may break again. Is it not possible to install some other make i.e. of better quality?
Old 14th July 2012, 07:34   #2781
BHPian

Can someone explain the AWD feature in the XUV500? How does it work exactly. I heard that even in AWD, power is transfered to back wheels only when traction is lost in the front. For all regular purposes its a FWD. The fortuner with full time 4WD is completely different. Is that correct?
So what are the advantages of the AWD over the normal FWD XUV variants?
Old 14th July 2012, 10:24   #2782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methilsunkara View Post
Can someone explain the AWD feature in the XUV500? How does it work exactly. I heard that even in AWD, power is transfered to back wheels only when traction is lost in the front. For all regular purposes its a FWD. The fortuner with full time 4WD is completely different. Is that correct?
Yes, power is transferred to the rear wheels only when the front tyres lose grip. Compared to full time 4WD, this offers better fuel efficiency.

There is a 4WD Lock button, so you can power all the wheels if you want to, like the Fortuner.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 10:53   #2783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some of these things have been discussed ind detail. Have a look at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-lsd-suvs.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-how-done.html

You can assume that the XUV's AWD is similar to the AWD systems talked about in the threads to get basic understanding.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 19:17   #2784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Some of these things have been discussed ind detail. Have a look at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-lsd-suvs.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-how-done.html

You can assume that the XUV's AWD is similar to the AWD systems talked about in the threads to get basic understanding.
I went through the threads and XUV AWD has its advantages and worth the extra 50K.

But I am worried about quality and reliability. I do not want to spend a lot on repairs after 5-7 years. Is the BorgWarner ITM system on the XUV reliable?

Or is the FWD a better option for normal day to day use because of its inherent simplicity.
Old 14th July 2012, 23:01   #2785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went through the threads and XUV AWD has its advantages and worth the extra 50K.

But I am worried about quality and reliability. I do not want to spend a lot on repairs after 5-7 years. Is the BorgWarner ITM system on the XUV reliable?

Or is the FWD a better option for normal day to day use because of its inherent simplicity.
Quality and Reliability is decent enough, even though not matching Toyotas. XUV has its initial share of niggles but all are fixable at the A.S.S. A ball-park figure on service/repair bills would be 20-30% more than a Scorpio.

AWD would be useful only if you are traversing slippery surfaces like snow, gravel etc. XUV is not a hardcore off-roader like Jeep. Unless you traverse slippery terrain daily, FWD is good enough.
Old 14th July 2012, 23:13   #2786
SDP
Team-BHP Support

I am completely new to tachometers, so no experience in changing the gears by the RPM. The XUV manual also mentions changing gears at a specified speed.

What's the RPM at which, you should change the gear in the XUV?
Old 14th July 2012, 23:59   #2787
BHPian

Guys,

Can someone explain the Hill Hold and Descent feature?

As far as I understood, it means that when the car is on an upward incline or a downward incline and you leave the brake, the XUV will automatically keep the brakes pressed till you move the car.

Doesn't seem to work that way though. Sometimes it holds, sometimes it doesnt!

Any suggestions??
Old 15th July 2012, 06:22   #2788
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post
Guys,

Can someone explain the Hill Hold and Descent feature?

As far as I understood, it means that when the car is on an upward incline or a downward incline and you leave the brake, the XUV will automatically keep the brakes pressed till you move the car.

Doesn't seem to work that way though. Sometimes it holds, sometimes it doesnt!

Any suggestions??
There are 2 different features. Hill Hold is automatic and can not be turned on or off by the user. When going up-hill, if you stop the vehicle, Hill-hold comes into play when you start from that position. Hill-hold applies the brake for 4 seconds, which gives you time for moving your foot from the brake to the accelerator, without the vehicle rolling backwards. Not very sure what grade of incline is understood by the vehicle as 'hill', but in my experience, it has worked in all situations, where the possibility of rolling-back existed.

Hill descent control, is a manual feature and can be turned on or off. While going down-hill, hill-descent-control would automatically provide enough for the accelerator and the brake so that you can take your feet completely off from all the 3 pedals and the vehicle would still come down in a controlled fashion.
Hope this helps
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 08:53   #2789
BHPian

Quote:

After the initial bookings, Mahindra was not taking bookings for AWD XUV. I am not sure if bookings have opened for this model again. Can somebody confirm the availability of this model for booking.
Old 15th July 2012, 09:24   #2790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP
Hill descent control, is a manual feature and can be turned on or off.
Which gear did you select for this, could not use both the features mentioned by you during my 2 lonavala trips

as the 1st service is due next week, have not bothered to take it to A.S.S for investigation

Most Viewed