Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2011, 10:20   #286
mxx
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Why is M&M trying to discourage people from the AWD model? Is it because the profit margins are substantially lesser in the AWD model
I think it is because the AWD production started later, or the number of AWD produced every month is much lower, or both.
There is no AWD available for test drive, neither any on display in showroom. None of the auto journos have been provided one for test-drive either.

Last edited by mxx : 16th October 2011 at 10:27.
Old 16th October 2011, 11:14   #287
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
I read somewhere that the XUV is made by young employee, all are below 30, and the team is called Team 30. I appreciate the effort put by youngster but if there is no senior or more experienced person is involved than one should definitely concern on reliability.

2.2 mHawk is proven engine, so there may not be a problem with engine inside but all other component around engine and body can have reliability issue.
frankly, i find this ridiculous (for want of a stronger word that will escape the censure of the mods). i am sure everyone is entitled to his opinion, but tarring every 'youngster' with the same brush smacks of parochialism and prejudice. it is only too easy to point out many examples at the other end of the spectrum where resistance to new concepts/thinking/ideas have ruined many a firm/enterprise. IF your statement is true, let us compliment the team for bringing a product which comes as a whiff of fresh air from an Indian manufacturer rather than succumbing to bias and prejudice.
btw, AFAIK, henry ford was only 32 when he introduced the automobile
edison 22 when he was awarded his first patent
and bill gates 20 when he started microsoft.
Old 16th October 2011, 11:58   #288
BHPian

Oh boy! What a review. Felt like it shouldn't end. Bravo Team BHP, simply said there is no match to our reviews

And the car, wish I had the mullah to buy one!
Old 16th October 2011, 12:15   #289
BHPian

Quote:
I read somewhere that the XUV is made by young employee, all are below 30, and the team is called Team 30. I appreciate the effort put by youngster but if there is no senior or more experienced person is involved than one should definitely concern on reliability.
Its worth to listen B Bhaumik - Sr. Vice President - Product Development speech... check this out... he said.. young team.. i have not heard anything below 30 or any figure..

MahindraXUV500's Channel - YouTube
Old 16th October 2011, 12:51   #290
Senior - BHPian

very nice vehicle by M&M and ver nice review by TBHP.

we indians are so easily won over by the so called features of the vehicle, the voice control, the climate control, the folding outside rear view mirrors, the puddle lights, the this and the that....

....we always get excited when visiting a showroom and all the lights and the shiny vehicles on display takes us to a fantasy land, letting the sales guy take us for a ride!

...before we buy a new vehicle, we seldom go to a service centre to check the costs involved in maintaining a vehicle, how professional the service centre is, how friendly the staff is, is the bodyshop and mechanical service at the same location, how expensive or cheap the body parts or spare parts are in comparison to the other brands, and so on....

i would love to know more about the mechanicals of the vehicle in question rather than the bells and whistles....

since we all visit the showroom just once to buy the new/old vehicle but visit the service centres for the regular servicing....M&M needs to uplift its A.S.S. and the attitude of its dealers and bring in professionalism to uplift the CSI.

similarly we are happy about the XUV 5 oh oh.....lets hope M&M dont let its buyers end up saying....OH OH!
Old 16th October 2011, 13:02   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
frankly, i find this ridiculous (for want of a stronger word that will escape the censure of the mods). i am sure everyone is entitled to his opinion, but tarring every 'youngster' with the same brush smacks of parochialism and prejudice. it is only too easy to point out many examples at the other end of the spectrum where resistance to new concepts/thinking/ideas have ruined many a firm/enterprise. IF your statement is true, let us compliment the team for bringing a product which comes as a whiff of fresh air from an Indian manufacturer rather than succumbing to bias and prejudice.
btw, AFAIK, henry ford was only 32 when he introduced the automobile
edison 22 when he was awarded his first patent
and bill gates 20 when he started microsoft.
I am not against youngster but experience does matter, I have 10 years of industry experience and I also went though many ups and down in my carrier. Youngster works hard, they have fresh ideas, new concept and wanted to adapt everything which is new in the market, as per my experience. Experience count when it comes to thinking beyond the fresh ideas.

When I look back, I really think whatever products I have developed during my young age, it could have done better with the experience I have today. Or atleast there could have been someone to guide me.

Bill Gates developed microsoft at the age of 20, but to get it stable they spent years on it.

e.g. Audi R8 were developed by most of the senior and some youngsters. To get the job in Audi R8 assembly lines, minimum experience required is 20 years. In the assembly lines all the employee are above 40 years.
Old 16th October 2011, 13:57   #292
BHPian

Re: XUV versus The Rest in India

I had posted a rough comparison on the other thread, could be useful here.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-compare.png  

Last edited by raul : 16th October 2011 at 13:59.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 15:31   #293
BHPian

hi bhpians ,since xuv 500 has not been launched in punjab, the impatienece to test drive the same landed me in delhi yesterday,and i am disappointed to say the least.i was looking forward to buy one but now i have shelved that plan.
1 -- the xuv 500 has cheap shiny plastics which reflect badly in the windwhilst screen , there were all sorts of rattels and squeaks from everywhere i cross checked it in 2 xuv 500 the dashboard was rattling the seats were squeaking when asked about the same the salesman had no reply in fact he increased the volume of the cd player
2.... whilst acceleatring the engine noise like a buzzzz was coming inside the car from undre the place where the gearlever is present to put it more easily people who have driven a jeep when you accelerate the voice comes in somewhere from undeside of the body through the gear lever area and it is buzzy sound i do not know how to explain it
3....there were some electronics which were not working on askin i was told that they were looking in to it namely tpms reverse parking sensors
4..... it is a great attempt by mahindra they have given every featue imaginable in the xuv 500 but they need to sort out things like rattels and they need to set the electronics right
bajwasingh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 15:38   #294
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
experience does matter, .
who denies that? i am saying its not the only thing, or for that matter the most important thing.

Quote:
When I look back, I really think whatever products I have developed during my young age, it could have done better with the experience I have today. Or atleast there could have been someone to guide me..
hindsight is always 20/20 and to no avail. secondly, just because the DESIGN team was allegedly in their 30s doesnt mean they ran unfettered. pretty sure this can never be the case in any company worth its salt.

Quote:
Bill Gates developed microsoft at the age of 20, but to get it stable they spent years on it...
evolution of any product is but natural. by the way, wasn't an 'unstable' windows better than its competitors at that time?

Quote:
e.g. Audi R8 were developed by most of the senior and some youngsters. To get the job in Audi R8 assembly lines, minimum experience required is 20 years. In the assembly lines all the employee are above 40 years.
1. pray share the source of your information else do not make such sweeping and generic statements...
2. besides, a job in the assembly line and a job in the design team are poles apart.
note: let this thread not get hijacked by OT debates, i have said my piece. Mods: kindly excuse this one-time 'rant' of mine, i am not taking this any further
Old 16th October 2011, 15:49   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel
by the way, wasn't an 'unstable' windows better than its competitors at that time?
NO!

I don't think the design team's age really matters. What does is their design. Old or young, the design is over the top. That doesn't mean that it isn't contemporary, just too fluidic inspired. Hyundai's new designs age badly (my opinion), and look good in specific colours unlike clean designs that look great irrespective of the colour. I think the same applies to the XUV500 as well, but that's just my opinion
Old 16th October 2011, 15:54   #296
BHPian

@ mason 1 . GTO replied to a earlier thread that review was done in good and bad roads 2 . With 4 people on board , can u clarify if there is any sluggishness if there are more people / weight in the car . This is because one of my friends felt that during his test drive .he felt under power during some gear shifts . Whats the feed back for off roading for this car from your test drive ? . Would like to know If we need AWD for off roads or W8 is enough
Old 16th October 2011, 15:58   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
do not make such sweeping and generic statements...
Please before making above statement you should confirm yourself.

I have visited museum in Germany myself.

Lets close this topic here.
Old 16th October 2011, 16:15   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
With 4 people on board , can u clarify if there is any sluggishness if there are more people / weight in the car . This is because one of my friends felt that during his test drive .he felt under power during some gear shifts . Whats the feed back for off roading for this car from your test drive ?
I had the XUV for two days with me and drove both with 2 on-board as well as four of us with luggage in the hills of Lonavala. No, there wasnt ANY drop in power / punch / performance. U don't feel the extra weight in vehicles with big engines n huge amounts of torque. Infact, the XUV picks up easily from as low as 1500rpm in first 3 cogs.
As for off-roading, its hard to get the AWD version from M&M - even Manson drove the 2WD version - just like we did. It performed more than adequately and does come with goodies like hill descent for steep declines off the road. My 2 cents.

Last edited by manson : 16th October 2011 at 23:48.
BunnyPunia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 16:26   #299
Senior - BHPian

@Bunnypunia:

I assume you must have driven it on the ghats. How is the handling when compared to Innova?

Last edited by manson : 16th October 2011 at 23:48.
Old 16th October 2011, 16:35   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post

Big deal. All sedans sold in India this side of 2 million INR are FWD including the driver focussed Octavia & Laura RS. Your point exactly is?
Firstly thanks for correcting/appreciating my remarks.

My point here is I have read it a numerous number of times that SUV s should be RWD for more stability as they carry more load.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks