Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 23:31   #3106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie
So finally got hold of my Purple Cheetah on Aug 13th.

- A kat-kat-kat noise kept coming from the engine when ever I accelerated. As if the fan blades were hitting some obstruction. The sound could be clearly heard when accelerating in 1st and 2nd gears and got subtle for higher gears.
Congrats for the new ride and welcome to the club. 9 months of ownership, and I still feel the car is as new as it was on day 1. You would surely love the engine and how calm it remains no matter how rough you use it.
I have never heard the kat-kat noise. Please get it checked, seems not normal.
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 12:03   #3107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath
I am not sure if aftermarket ones offer a plug-in connector for XUV specific wiring. Be careful as this will void your warranty.
When I had gone to G3, Mumbai for my winder work, they mentioned that bulb + relay + harness upgrades are possible through them - guess my warranty will not be impacted if a m&m dealer does it, specially if they will be processing my future claim on any issue faced :-)

will check if they can provide a trial on a single side on my vehicle so i can compare and decide
Old 18th August 2012, 12:36   #3108
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavdalal View Post
When I had gone to G3, Mumbai for my winder work, they mentioned that bulb + relay + harness upgrades are possible through them - guess my warranty will not be impacted if a m&m dealer does it, specially if they will be processing my future claim on any issue faced :-)

will check if they can provide a trial on a single side on my vehicle so i can compare and decide
Yes if you do at the A.S.S it cannot void the warranty as they are "expected" NOT to splice wires. Even if they splice wires, you can fight with M&M.
Old 18th August 2012, 17:47   #3109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Congrats FundaG! That's a lovely colour and you have captured it well in your snaps. Absolutely droolworthy snaps.

Is that palace yours, where the car is parked?
Perfect backdrop for a beautiful vehicle!

The BT has issues with Samsungs and works best with Nokia.

Did you hear the horn from outside? I have seen people getting startled by my car's horn. Inside it may feel feeble because of the insulation. Try it out.
Thanks SDP. Snaps using GalaxyS2 really came out well. My Sony camera coudnt match up to it.. And glad to hear the backdrop complemented the car.. .

My current car has a roots horn that just blasts. Maybe after hearing its blast, Xuv's horn felt feeble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Good snaps. Congrats! am awaiting my purple XUV now. cant wait for two months! I booked on the same day you got your delivery! the few niggles are minor and am sure will be taken care of easily but nevertheless a brand new car having problems is not right! M&M should pull up their socks now! high time!

besides, can someone tell if iPod/iPhone works properly via USB? I prefer ipod to carry my music around than USB pen drives so.
Thanks Magikrider...Niggles are niggles nevertheless and after spending 15lacs, such niggles tug at your heart.

Tried playing music from Iphone via USB and it works great. Dint try for movies though..Havent tried with ipod .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Congrats for the new ride and welcome to the club. 9 months of ownership, and I still feel the car is as new as it was on day 1. You would surely love the engine and how calm it remains no matter how rough you use it.
I have never heard the kat-kat noise. Please get it checked, seems not normal.

Thanks Rohit. I am looking forward to a great time with the beast. Hope to get it tamedi and behaving properly..
Will check out the engine noise. Had called and mentioned it to the dealer the very next day itself and they have asked to bring it over to get it checked. Maybe sometime next week.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 17:59   #3110
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to post this for a really long time. On a totally note

Mahindra's own website is Mahindra XUV500 (numerals are five hundred) but they seem to have named the product as five"double 'O'" (alphabet O).

Is anyone able to figure the logic out of why the product is names double O but the website has "five hundred" in numerics?

Take the ownership thread of bhpian SDP for instance. Sanjay has correctly named the vehicle as 5OO and not 500 as in mahindra website.

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8

Last edited by scopriobharath : 18th August 2012 at 18:02.
Old 18th August 2012, 18:21   #3111
BHPian

Hi Team BHPians

I test drove the XUV 3 weeks ago - I loved it. It looks great from outside, looks great from inside, has every functionality.

Except that it is above my price budget, it is the best car in the 15L and below bracket - keeping form function and features in mind.

My only concerns were

1. The niggles - how serious are these? Buying a car above my budget and getting a headache is a no-no. But are these infrequent problems or is it that every XUV buyer faces these niggles - some one or the other is inevitable?

2. Let arm rest is just a box and is unusable as arm rest.

3. The brake felt very stiff to press

4. Reversing was not as easy as on Ertiga (another test drive) - less visibility and turning radius seemed larger.

5. The bucket seat was too curved - the back curved to touch the back of my arms - a little uncomfortable.

I can live with all these except the niggles - and the need to get these niggles fixed by the most notoriously poor quality of service centers in terms of customer service parameters as well as mechanic capability.

Do you people think XUV will get an improved version in 2013? Or will they set up separate service center for XUV?

If yes, I can wait and buy this car - I love its looks and the interiors and the powerful pick up.

In terms of looks, this (XUV) is the best looker barring none - followed by the Furtuner, and Safari which also look OK. Rest of the SUVs in India all look awful despite the price tag - except perhaps the Audi and CRV which are only so-so and look rich rather than good.

Cheers, Venkat
Old 18th August 2012, 20:41   #3112
BHPian

Note from Team-BHP Support: Please do not reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. For the correct way to quote, please see this thread (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP). Thanks

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th August 2012 at 09:13. Reason: See note in post.
magikrider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 21:16   #3113
BHPian

Thanks Magic Rider.

My problem with the bucket seat on this (and Ford Fiesta) was that back curved too much. So the back of my arm it hit against the seat when I moved my shoulders back or tried to move my arms by an unusual amount or turned to look back - which is not there in my Santro and also not there in Maruti car seats, where curve is less.

Basic problem is that the back curves so much, the sides protrude forward and it interferes with arm movement.

By improved version I meant fix the problems in fit and finish so that the niggles vanish. Not upgrade - just quality issues. Like Indica V2 - will we get a XUV V2?

One reason I cant buy the XUV right away is that I cant afford it - so if I have to buy it I need to wait for over a year. Question is - should I wait for it or go for a sedan which I can buy right away - is the XUV worth waiting - that is what I am trying to determine.

So far answer seems to be yes despite apprehensions. Whatever new car I buy will have to last for many years (or decades) and I cannot afford to change it for something better after a few years - it has to be right from the beginning and last the distance
Old 18th August 2012, 21:41   #3114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
....Mahindra's own website is Mahindra XUV500 (numerals are five hundred) but they seem to have named the product as five"double 'O'" (alphabet O).

Is anyone able to figure the logic out of why the product is names double O but the website has "five hundred" in numerics?
1. All Mahindra vechicle names end with "O", so they wanted to continue the convention.

2. Since this is a global product, Mahindra wanted to give an international naming style like a lot of global players who use numbers for their vehicles.

So the product name is written as XUV 500, but read as "5 Oh Oh"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
...Sanjay has correctly named the vehicle as 5OO and not 500 as in mahindra website.
Sorry, but writing 5OO is wrong and "500" is correct! But while saying, it should be 5OO rather!
Old 18th August 2012, 23:10   #3115
BHPian

Quote:

Mahindra's own website is Mahindra XUV500 (numerals are five hundred) but they seem to have named the product as five"double 'O'" (alphabet O).
Their website is mahindraxuv5oo .com (double "O" ) too. They knew most of us will type it as zeros so got that domain too.
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 23:30   #3116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkytalks View Post
By improved version I meant fix the problems in fit and finish so that the niggles vanish. Not upgrade - just quality issues. Like Indica V2 - will we get a XUV V2?

One reason I cant buy the XUV right away is that I cant afford it - so if I have to buy it I need to wait for over a year. Question is - should I wait for it or go for a sedan which I can buy right away - is the XUV worth waiting - that is what I am trying to determine.

So far answer seems to be yes despite apprehensions. Whatever new car I buy will have to last for many years (or decades) and I cannot afford to change it for something better after a few years - it has to be right from the beginning and last the distance
If you requirement is for a 7 seater and you plan to keep it for minimum 5 years and most of all you aspire for an SUV, Its worth waiting for XUV.

V2 will be relatively niggle free but dont count on it too much as it is minimum 3 years away. Heck they are unable to provide the AWD which is widely advertised on the website.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 00:23   #3117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkytalks View Post
Thanks Magic Rider.

My problem with the bucket seat on this (and Ford Fiesta) was that back curved too much. So the back of my arm it hit against the seat when I moved my shoulders back or tried to move my arms by an unusual amount or turned to look back - which is not there in my Santro and also not there in Maruti car seats, where curve is less.

Basic problem is that the back curves so much, the sides protrude forward and it interferes with arm movement.

Actually about the bucket seat curve issue, you can easily solve by putting a small pillow on the back! will give added back support too. also there is lumbar support adjustment to work with which you can use fully and lessen the curve.

I too use a Santro so can understand. the seats are not curvy at all but offer reasonable good back support.

about the niggle free second version or V2 of XUV, it'll take a long time i suppose. but I think if you are expecting Japs like fit, finish and reliability, forget it! its a long way there yet for mahindra.

The question you need to ask yourself first is that do you need an SUV or a sedan? I think if you have mostly city use and occasional highway drives then it makes sense to go for a sedan. XUV for a mostly city use hardly makes sense. you need to look at XUV if other contenders are like Innova or Tata Aria and other large highway vehicles for long distance cruising or carrying 7-8 people or traveling by rough and bad roads regularly. I know it can be more of a decision taken by heart but think and understand your need and requirement before making a decision. also go for TD and you may have a idea. because if you need a city car then there are loads of options you can buy with solid reliability in much less price from honda, VW, toyota etc.

hope this helps.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 07:36   #3118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Their website is mahindraxuv5oo .com (double "O" ) too. They knew most of us will type it as zeros so got that domain too.
Exactly. The disadvantages of having such a name -

MAY YOUR LIFE BE FULL OF STORIES! - Powered by XUV500

MAY YOUR LIFE BE FULL OF STORIES! - Powered by XUV500

2 names, 1 website!

P.S. - Please note that one is 5oo and the other is 500.
Old 19th August 2012, 08:14   #3119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is the best SUV in its segment and probably a segment above too. if you see the ride, handling, power, features and Price, its pure VFM and better than many SUV's from 15-25 lac segment. the ones above 20 lac hardly give anything more to deserve premium of another 7-10 lacs!
25 lac segment? Are you seeing any thread for xxx SUV and its niggles? Nay. And this thread is doing quite well and is on its 58th page!!!

Pajero/Pajero Sports
X-Trail
Santa FE
Fortuner
Endevour
Yeti

And you still think XUV has much more spunk. Feature wise, it may be rich, but as a product it doesn't comprehensively beat any of the Cars listed. Not by a long shot. It is a very good Car in its own right and you are spot on saying it is VFM, but then you get what you pay for.

The Cars I have listed are still selling & all of them, and that too while paying a premium of over 5 to 10lacs.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 08:17   #3120
BANNED

Quote:

Take the ownership thread of bhpian SDP for instance. Sanjay has correctly named the vehicle as 5OO and not 500 as in mahindra website.

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8
500 is the right one but pronounced as 5 double "O"

Quote:
I have(had) a Nokia E72 and used it with Gogole Maps. It worked like a charm. No issues at all. Secondly, am using an Android phone, which also is working perfectly. Google maps are updated "free" whereas you need to pay for upgrades on GPS devices. Even the 98 / month 2G internet GPRS connection is sufficient for GPS.

If your XUV is NOT coming with a GPS, I feel smartphones are sufficient and not really worth having a professional GPS. It is Not worth upgrading to the one in W8 either.
Try Waze or Sygic on a smartphone or tablet.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 19th August 2012 at 08:42. Reason: back to back posts. please use multiquote feature to quote & reply to multiple posts

Most Viewed