Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 07:44   #3241
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by redindian

Well, my hypothesis ( as I am not a race engineer or mechanic ) on this is as follows -

In a FWD vehicle, theoretically this shouldn't have any mechanical problem at the fundamental level ( read - vehicle will run OK ) - as long as you can fit them in & tune the suspension for reduced travel.

But - modern cars, including XUV have a bunch of electronic driver aids that are calibrated based on pre-assumed wheel dimensions & I think they will make for some funny handling characteristics.

- ABS / EBD might not work as intended - both these systems depend on wheel slip measurement and they might misread the normal wheel rotation as slip ( remember, the rear wheels have no direct power in XUV since its FWD). i.e. larger size tyre will need fewer rotations for the same movement - so for every 10 rotations of the front wheen - A 20" rear might do 20% lower rotations.

- TCS / ESP will have some real funny behavior , especially Traction Control - will see the same slip as 1 above.

- In an AWD - the torque converter / manager will face some similar issues

- General handling will also be less than optimal, at-least til you retune your suspensions.
Very true. All the on-board computers - ABS/ESP, Engine, will go wrong as they would be calculating based on the smaller circumference of the original Tyre. Speedometer /odometer also will report incorrect road speed /distance.
Old 4th September 2012, 21:45   #3242
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Just got the call from the sales guy, that they have increased the price by Rs.15000\-. So will have to make additional payment at delivery. Has mahindra increased the prices and official confirmation has been made?
Old 4th September 2012, 21:50   #3243
BHPian

Yes it's on the website. There hasn't been any official announcement though.
Old 4th September 2012, 22:43   #3244
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
The OTR price for W8 FWD might have crossed 16 Lakh Rs now. The way M&M is increasing prices of XUV every few months, looks like it would cost 18L couple of years down the line.
Old 4th September 2012, 23:20   #3245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Just got the call from the sales guy, that they have increased the price by Rs.15000\-. So will have to make additional payment at delivery. Has mahindra increased the prices and official confirmation has been made?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The OTR price for W8 FWD might have crossed 16 Lakh Rs now. The way M&M is increasing prices of XUV every few months, looks like it would cost 18L couple of years down the line.
I think since they are re-engineering al thier components to tackle the defects / niggles, the supplier would have increased prices, which probably forces them to increase the price. Dollar and Metla have mantained proces over the past few weeks and i do not see a reason to increase prices other than the reason mentioned above
Old 4th September 2012, 23:55   #3246
Team-BHP Support

Yeah... For most XUV owners their car is an appreciating asset! How about that?
Zappo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 07:58   #3247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Yeah... For most XUV owners their car is an appreciating asset! How about that?
True, for me the ex- showroom price has increased by more than a lakh. Got mine for 10.8, now it is 11.85. This is within less than a year.

Last edited by anandtheleo : 5th September 2012 at 08:00.
Old 5th September 2012, 08:17   #3248
Senior - BHPian

Guys, in my car, I have 2 issues -

1) The driver door windows makes a creaking noise when it comes down

2) I want the cabin lights to come on when I open the doors, I cant figure how how to do that! The middle row light switch is at 'DOOR' position, still it does not come on. And I do not see any such switch for the front cabin lights...
Old 5th September 2012, 08:59   #3249
BHPian

Does the reverse camera help in anyway? I had it in my previous car and later on disabled it as found it pretty useless. But seeing almost all XUV's owned by members of our forum has opted for it, I'm in a dilemma!.

As quoted by our friend @raj_5004, and my own experience camera gets dirty from the word go during monsoon, particularly in hatchbacks, muv's & suv's. So is it worth to go for it?

Also if we opt for rear bumper gaurd does it come in anyway between the line of sight?
Old 5th September 2012, 08:59   #3250
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

1) The driver door windows makes a creaking noise when it comes down
Please get that checked. Needs to be tightened. A few people have reported rattling noises from the glass pane when driven with partially rolled down windows. Its a related issue.

Quote:
2) I want the cabin lights to come on when I open the doors, I cant figure how how to do that! The middle row light switch is at 'DOOR' position, still it does not come on. And I do not see any such switch for the front cabin lights...
Only the second row center light is associated with doors. Front cabin lights are not. Please keep the lounge lighting on, that might help a bit.
Old 5th September 2012, 09:10   #3251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the reverse camera help in anyway? I had it in my previous car and later on disabled it as found it pretty useless. But seeing almost all XUV's owned by members of our forum has opted for it, I'm in a dilemma!.

As quoted by our friend @raj_5004, and my own experience camera gets dirty from the word go during monsoon, particularly in hatchbacks, muv's & suv's. So is it worth to go for it?

Also if we opt for rear bumper gaurd does it come in anyway between the line of sight?
The reverse camera is really helpful atleast in the XUV as rear visibility is pathetic out of the tiny rear glass. Sensors will detect only obstacles but wont tell us about any open gutters, manholes, etc.

Yes, the camera does get dirty but you still get a blurred vision. Something is better than nothing! And you need to adjust for just 4 months in a year.

I cannot comment about the rear guard as I have not installed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Only the second row center light is associated with doors. Front cabin lights are not. Please keep the lounge lighting on, that might help a bit.
Ohh, that explains it. Thank you buddy.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 10:34   #3252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I guess 'Door' means the middle position, if you have have it set to that position, it should work on door operation, if not get it checked with ASC. Like SDP confirmed, its only the middle row, center light that is associated with door operation.

Quote:

I dont have rear view camera, I'm perfectly OK without it so far. It may be due to I have decent places to park at work and home, and if you are not frequently parking/reversing in dense areas, you will be just fine with the stock reverse sensor itself, there are many owners who have installed this, and 90% of them got it done right after the purchase, you may want to give it a try until you feel the real requirement and before you hit something while reversing.

I read from a couple of owners that rear bumper is coming in between the camera view (yet to hear if its coming in the way for reverse sensor), some owners I have seen have put the reverse camera around the registration plate area, at some height to avoid this.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 12:30   #3253
BHPian

I just got a call from India Garage. He said a vehicle has been allotted for me. I had a few questions

1. Its true that I have to pay the on-going price at the time of delivery. Its clearly mentioned in the pro-forma I filled while booking. Now if the vehicle is older than 1st September do I still have to pay the new price?
2. Do I have to make full payment for PDI? Thats what the SA is telling me.
Old 5th September 2012, 12:44   #3254
BHPian

Quote:

There is a light in the boot lid too just behind the 3rd row of seats(camping light as u may say it), if u press it once, it just functions like the middle lights and are turned On/Off as and when you unlock or lock your car. But it won't be a good idea if u keep the 3rd row folded and use the space for keeping some tit-bits that you want to keep away from prying eyes.
abhinavinc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 14:11   #3255
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsprabhu View Post
1. Its true that I have to pay the on-going price at the time of delivery. Its clearly mentioned in the pro-forma I filled while booking. Now if the vehicle is older than 1st September do I still have to pay the new price?
2. Do I have to make full payment for PDI? Thats what the SA is telling me.
Hi Prabhu,

You ve posted your query at the right moment.

Prevailing prices are applicable at delivery and the SA is correct in saying that, however, please DO NOT make a full payment before the PDI.

The SA will give you a million reasons but tell him/her frankly that you need to do a PDI at the YARD (this is very important) prior to signing the final dotted line.

Let me know if you are finding this difficult and I will assist you in this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks