Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2012, 13:00   #3391
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
...btw: would you recommend both paint protection and underbody treatment? I had tried the underbody sometime ago on my old IKon , but really did not see any benefit. Even after this, the exhaust/muffler developed a hole . I know underbody does not cover the exhaust, but then i really don't see a need for it in a dry place like Hyderabad...
I definitely recommend paint protection. As for under body coating, will leave it to you. It's more useful in the coastal areas. I did it on my swift as a precaution & it's holding well even after 4 years. Did you get it from 3M on your Ikon? If you don't do it, make sure to get your under-body washed once in a month in dry seasons or once in a fortnight during rainy seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
....Asked for waxing and has recieved a quote of about Rs.1500\-, which, may do after 3 months. I don't intend to do polishing.
May I ask what's the difference in waxing & polishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Went to Pete's to enquire about their package. They have a package for interior and exterior detailing, it would cost Rs.7000\- and it would take 2 days according to them. They use smart wax products. Any comments/info about this treatment?
Too much premium that is! I might get a job done if I have a car worth 30L+ [of course the rates also should be higher], but anything below that, I will stick to 3M.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th September 2012 at 13:02.
Old 27th September 2012, 13:28   #3392
Senior - BHPian

After waiting for the Duster and not finding it interesting enough I am coming closer to take the plunge for the XUV W8 (FWD).

The dealer is promising a delivery by Dussera since it would be a company lease and they can prioritise that.

Need advise on whether to go for it now or wait another 3 months to get a 2013 model (I do not want to repeat the mistake as I did with my Scorpio (Sep 08) , where M&M came out with the refurbished model in the new year)
Old 27th September 2012, 13:47   #3393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
After waiting for the Duster and not finding it interesting enough I am coming closer to take the plunge for the XUV W8 (FWD).

The dealer is promising a delivery by Dussera since it would be a company lease and they can prioritise that.

Need advise on whether to go for it now or wait another 3 months to get a 2013 model (I do not want to repeat the mistake as I did with my Scorpio (Sep 08) , where M&M came out with the refurbished model in the new year)
Just as an aside, why dont you also check out the storme since you are ready to wait.
Old 27th September 2012, 14:12   #3394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
May I ask what's the difference in waxing & polishing?
A very thin layer(microns) of paint can get lost in polishing, may be due to the clay work, which is not at all needed in a new vehicle.

Last edited by Vasuki : 27th September 2012 at 14:14.
Old 27th September 2012, 14:19   #3395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Just as an aside, why dont you also check out the storme since you are ready to wait.
Thanks for the suggestion, but, Tata is never a consideration when I think of buying a car on account certain personal reasons and mindset about Tata cars.
Old 27th September 2012, 15:09   #3396
BHPian

Quote:

The XUV was launched less than a year ago and it is too early for M&M to launch a new or refurbished model. So the 'mistake' you made regarding your Scorpio is not likely to be repeated.

It is indeed true that in India car sales slow down during Nov-Dec because many buyers prefer to get their cars with the next year's date-stamp, thinking that it will help them get a better resale price when they sell their car a few years later. But IMHO it does not not really make much of a difference. A discerning pre-owned car buyer will see how many years old the car is apart from its condition and odometer reading, and whether the car was registered in Nov 2007 or Jan 2008 should not matter to him.

I expect to get delivery of my own XUV next month (October).
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 18:28   #3397
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with debuda. I guess a refreshed model is highly unlikely, so early in the XUV 500's life. It is possible that M&M will fix a few niggles and maybe improve the quality of some parts, but then a complete refresh would be a big surprise!
btw: I was on the same path as you. Waited for the duster but was not convinced to go for it after the launch..
DoneAndDusted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 20:19   #3398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsprabhu View Post
Taking the delivery of my Red W8 in an hrs time from India Garage, Palace Road. Here are the details
[list][*]Booked on 18th June[*]Ex-Show room after the revision - 1338162/-[*]Road Tax+Handling 259011/-[*]I got the insurance from outside. Got it from Oriental and paid 43603/-
Congrats hsprabhuf or your red cheetah. See you on the bangalore roads soon. After adding all the costs, the on-road price difference for W8 between Kerala and bangalore is a whopping 1.6 lacs.. . BTW got the bumper to bumper insurance (Royal sundaram) from the dealer for 40k and being from the dealer I get all the benefits. How much was India Garage quoting for the insurance.

FundaG
Old 27th September 2012, 21:54   #3399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Congrats hsprabhuf or your red cheetah. See you on the bangalore roads soon. After adding all the costs, the on-road price difference for W8 between Kerala and bangalore is a whopping 1.6 lacs.. . BTW got the bumper to bumper insurance (Royal sundaram) from the dealer for 40k and being from the dealer I get all the benefits. How much was India Garage quoting for the insurance.

FundaG
Are you serious? 1.6 lacs?
I got my insurance from my brother. He has a two wheeler dealership in some district in karnataka and hence has made his wife a registered agent. So it didnt matter how much he charged. I will decide how much should I pay I am attaching the detailed quotation from India Garage.

Quote:
Why don't you share the scan copy on this thread? Others also will benefit from taking a copy of that and producing to the dealers when they have a different quote. More than that, PM is going to help only the members who have the privilege [25 posts+].

Please upload it here for the benefit of newbies & non-members too!

Here it is. My 2 cents on accessories. Dealers have a lot of flexibility when it comes to charging for accessories. Accessories come with an MRP. But cost to the dealer will be a lot lesser. Different dealers pass on different percentage of that to customers. I know this for sure when it comes to two wheelers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SeptemberQuote.pdf (2.39 MB, 645 views)
hsprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 23:05   #3400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsprabhu View Post
My 2 cents on accessories. Dealers have a lot of flexibility when it comes to charging for accessories. Accessories come with an MRP. But cost to the dealer will be a lot lesser. Different dealers pass on different percentage of that to customers. I know this for sure when it comes to two wheelers.
I have mentioned this earlier once somewhere, even that MRP is far lesser than what many of the dealers are charging. That side step (I think they call it Classy Footstep) has an MRP of Rs.8k change printed on the packing box. So even if you go by the MRP the dealers in many places are charging double that price!
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 01:25   #3401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
btw: I was on the same path as you. Waited for the duster but was not convinced to go for it after the launch..
I find many comments like this on this thread, i.e., comparing the XUV with the Duster before taking the buy decision. Personally, I feel the XUV is in a different league vis-a-vis Duster. The specs speak for themselves :
  1. Dimensions : Length, width and height of XUV are considerably more. This means much more space in every direction.
  2. Kerb weight : 1785 kg of XUV is about 50% heavier than Duster (1205 kg for the heaviest, 109 BHP version).
  3. Power : 140 BHP of XUV is 28% more than 109 BHP of Duster.
  4. Torque : 330 Nm of XUV is 33% more than 248 Nm of Duster.
  5. Wheels : 235/65 R17 of XUV is bigger and wider than 215/65 R16 of Duster.

What I'm trying to get at is that apples should be compared with apples.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 03:34   #3402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I find many comments like this on this thread, i.e., comparing the XUV with the Duster before taking the buy decision. Personally, I feel the XUV is in a different league vis-a-vis Duster. ....

....What I'm trying to get at is that apples should be compared with apples.
The comparison happens because when a customer has a ~11L ex showroom budget, both Duster & XUV 500 comes into picture due to it's pricing overlap.

For the apples to apples statement, both Duster & XUV are monocoque, so called SUVs, 2 wheel drive, diesel engined etc! Hence I believe the comparison is very much relevant. Also when Renault didn't bother to differentiate Duster [top variant] from XUV 500 by price, citing all your factual reasons which makes it inferior to XUV, why would you expect potential customers to do it?

Leaving the dimensions apart, at ~11.5L ex.showroom, XUV W6 provides these over Duster 110 PS RXZ

1. Better engine & output
2. Better level of kit
3. Better interior quality

Keeping these points, I believe the customers should think why Renault charges such a premium for a smaller car with lesser specs/features! Now if M&M manages to do a no frill W4 with features at par to 85 PS RXL(O) / 110 RXL @ 9.9L ex showroom, am sure it's gonna be another sold out case!

PS:: Duster definitely has a bigger customer base for the lower variants at lower price points [~2.5L lesser than XUV 500 W6] & also for those who need a smaller compact car. So people with budget & dimension constraints will have to opt for Duster.

But for anyone who wants an SUV at ~11.5L [no conditions withstanding], both Duster & XUV 500 are worth a comparison.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th September 2012 at 03:37.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 08:39   #3403
BHPian

Quote:
The comparison happens because when a customer has a ~11L ex showroom budget, both Duster & XUV 500 comes into picture due to it's pricing overlap.

For the apples to apples statement, both Duster & XUV are monocoque, so called SUVs, 2 wheel drive, diesel engined etc! Hence I believe the comparison is very much relevant. Also when Renault didn't bother to differentiate Duster [top variant] from XUV 500 by price, citing all your factual reasons which makes it inferior to XUV, why would you expect potential customers to do it?

Leaving the dimensions apart, at ~11.5L ex.showroom, XUV W6 provides these over Duster 110 PS RXZ

1. Better engine & output
2. Better level of kit
3. Better interior quality

Keeping these points, I believe the customers should think why Renault charges such a premium for a smaller car with lesser specs/features! Now if M&M manages to do a no frill W4 with features at par to 85 PS RXL(O) / 110 RXL @ 9.9L ex showroom, am sure it's gonna be another sold out case!

PS:: Duster definitely has a bigger customer base for the lower variants at lower price points [~2.5L lesser than XUV 500 W6] & also for those who need a smaller compact car. So people with budget & dimension constraints will have to opt for Duster.

But for anyone who wants an SUV at ~11.5L [no conditions withstanding], both Duster & XUV 500 are worth a comparison.
Nothing stops a buyer from comparing products across segments. Most of the threads in "inital ownership reports" forums will explain that. People have a budget and see what can be fit into that budget. The comparison usually goes like hatch vs sedan, sedan vs SUV, higher spec of lower segment car vs lower spec of higher segment car etc.
And that is fine.

But the point debuda made is that Duster and XUV belongs to different segments. Duster is a compact XUV, a little overpriced citing its European origins and Renault's brand positioning. XUV is a Mid size SUV which is moderately priced due to its Indian origins, lower cost of development etc.

Having a monocoque chasis, 2 wheel drive and diesel engines won't make it the same segment. I can name umpteen examples where these 3 conditions are met.
tachobells is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 09:46   #3404
BHPian

found this on youtube hence thought to share with you.
Tushargohil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 10:45   #3405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
found this on Youtube hence thought to share with you...
This stuff is already done on the swift of a bhpian. You can find the details here on this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2211911

Watch from 2:30s. Guess he had provided a link from where he made an online purchase too!

Updating the link:: http://shop.eloem.com/TimesCat.asp?catid=300

Edit::

Found this seller in HK doing a free shipping to India.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/EL-Sound-Acti...item5895b05e37

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th September 2012 at 11:11. Reason: Added "Edit" portion & updated the link above that
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks