Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2012, 17:50   #3421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
Thanks debuda. I saw a thread on this in Team bhp, however, how exactly does this work? do we just hand over the NCB certificate from the previous insurer to the insurance agent and everything is taken care of during the issuance of the policy?
Also, i have a particular situation, we are taking delivery of the XUV on my wife's name. We had sold her previous car and have taken a NCB certificate from the previous insurer. However, the previous car was in her maiden name, whereas this will be in her post marriage name. Will the insurance companies accept this if we show a valid marriage certificate with the name change?
Would anyone have any thoughts?
  1. Check out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...-premiums.html for details of No-Claim Bonus.
  2. I always transfer my NCB from my previous car to the next one like this : (a) Make an application to insurance co. on plain paper stating I intend transferring my NCB to a new car which I intend purchasing shortly; (b) Cancel the comprehensive insurance on the old car and take out a 3rd party insurance instead; (c) Once new car is allotted I obtain the Engine / Chassis No. from dealer and take out Comprehensive Insurance utilizing old NCB; (d) Take delivery of car from dealer (car should be insured before driving it out); (e) Get Registration done myself at RTO; (f) Submit Registration papers to insurance co. so that they can enter new car's Regn. No. in their system and give final printout of Policy.
  3. Change of name after marriage is a common occurrence in India and submission of marriage certificate should be good enough for the insurance co.
Quote:
Thanks debuda. I saw a thread on this in Team bhp, however, how exactly does this work? do we just hand over the NCB certificate from the previous insurer to the insurance agent and everything is taken care of during the issuance of the policy?
Also, i have a particular situation, we are taking delivery of the XUV on my wife's name. We had sold her previous car and have taken a NCB certificate from the previous insurer. However, the previous car was in her maiden name, whereas this will be in her post marriage name. Will the insurance companies accept this if we show a valid marriage certificate with the name change?
Would anyone have any thoughts?
  1. Check out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...-premiums.html for details of No-Claim Bonus.
  2. I always transfer my NCB from my previous car to the next one like this : (a) Make an application to insurance co. on plain paper stating I intend transferring my NCB to a new car which I intend purchasing shortly; (b) Cancel the comprehensive insurance on the old car and take out a 3rd party insurance instead; (c) Once new car is allotted I obtain the Engine / Chassis No. from dealer and take out Comprehensive Insurance utilizing old NCB; (d) Take delivery of car from dealer (car should be insured before driving it out); (e) Get Registration done myself at RTO; (f) Submit Registration papers to insurance co. so that they can enter new car's Regn. No. in their system and give final printout of Policy.
  3. Change of name after marriage is a common occurrence in India and submission of marriage certificate should be good enough for the insurance co.
  4. To answer the query of Swiftnfurious, earlier the cap on NCB used to be 65%. I reached this cap more than 10 years ago. Those who were at 65% NCB were allowed to continue with 65% even after the cap was reduced to 50% a few years back.

Last edited by mobike008 : 1st October 2012 at 11:32. Reason: Back to Back posts. Do refrain !!
debuda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 21:20   #3422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

I thought 50% is the maximum NCB one can get, that too from the 5th year onwards, provided there was no claims thru out the 5 years of ownership. How did you manage a 65% ?
It used to be 65% till a few years back. I guess he is carrying the NCB from quite some time.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 22:36   #3423
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

The maximum NCB of 65% applicable earlier can still be carried on and there are many who enjoys this benefit even today. In those period if a claim is approved the NCB used to be reduced by only one slab.
Old 1st October 2012, 11:05   #3424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferocks View Post
Do call up policybazaar.com for a quote on your car insurance. I have been doing mine (renewal) for last 3 years through them.
You pay online and within minutes you get a soft copy of insurance on your mail. Take a printout and here you go. Hard copy will reach you in few days by courier.

Any more discussions on this matter, you may like to continue on Insurance thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
  2. I always transfer my NCB from my previous car to the next one like this : (a) Make an application to insurance co. on plain paper stating I intend transferring my NCB to a new car which I intend purchasing shortly;
Thanks LifeRocks and Debuda!
Sorry for being slightly OT, but one quick follow up question , what would be the IDV that we should use for trying to get the insurance quotes? The ex showroom price is Rs. 1332438 in hyderabad, will this be the IDV or do the insurers go with the ex-showroom price, minus the excise duty component? While trying to figure out the lease option, I got a base price of Rs. 1163701 from the leasing company. When I tried Tata Aig online quote, the IDV keeps showing some value in the 11 L range.
Would appreciate inputs on this, so that I can shop around for some quotes using the right IDV.
Old 1st October 2012, 11:20   #3425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted

Thanks LifeRocks and Debuda!
Sorry for being slightly OT, but one quick follow up question , what would be the IDV that we should use for trying to get the insurance quotes? The ex showroom price is Rs. 1332438 in hyderabad, will this be the IDV or do the insurers go with the ex-showroom price, minus the excise duty component? While trying to figure out the lease option, I got a base price of Rs. 1163701 from the leasing company. When I tried Tata Aig online quote, the IDV keeps showing some value in the 11 L range.
Would appreciate inputs on this, so that I can shop around for some quotes using the right IDV.
When I bought it, ex showroom (Gurgaon) was 13.04 L.
And my IDV is 1238809/-. which is 95% of the ex showroom value of the vehicle. A 5% is cut (minimum) for the first year. This is what I have been told by 3 different agents.

Hope this is helpful.
Regards.
liferocks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 17:52   #3426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally, the most important question - How do we ensure that the non dealer insurance is seamless? i.e. will the insurance agent from outside be able to come to the dealershipt and provide a cover note which will cover insurance from the moment we drive out of the dealership? Any risks involved here?
There are absolutely no issues with the outside insurance, I have been with Baljaj Allianz for the last 3 years and they have proved extremely good (I have claimed a broken windshield 2 years back). They have discounts for a small survey and online payments.

The policy is online and you can generate the cover note and take a print, I am in no mood to indulge the dealer and waste 15K which I can put to better use.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 18:37   #3427
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Something interesting..
I know of a few guys who considered the XUV-500 but eventually chickened out because of 'cheap-feel' interiors. I belong to the same category too. I am not currently in the market but will be soon and will NOT consider XUV coz of its 'el cheapo' interiors. FOr people like us, DC has an excellent package : http://www.dcdesign.co.in/Default.aspx?vid=49&pid=218. Absolutely cracking. Even if you buy the base variant and add the DC pack, it may still be around the top end OTR. OR is it? I have no idea of the price though.

Anyone thought of this.
Old 1st October 2012, 18:59   #3428
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I know of a few guys who considered the XUV-500 but eventually chickened out because of 'cheap-feel' interiors. I belong to the same category too. I am not currently in the market but will be soon and will NOT consider XUV coz of its 'el cheapo' interiors. ...
XUV has 'el cheapo' interiors? Now that's new. What are we comparing with here? Hyundai?

I always thought that the XUV's interiors are good. There are a few parts which use poor grade plastic and feel cheap, but those are few.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 19:12   #3429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Had tweeted to Anand Mahindra & Pawan Goenka a suggestion on bringing a no-frill W4 XUV500 @ 9.9L to counter Duster. Surprisingly Pawan Goenka who is not a regular on twitter responded this

So there is NO W4 variant for XUV 500 coming in!

I feel so happy that he took some time to respond to (probably) a silly suggestion, with such details!
And why would they do that (make W4 with less gizmos). If they did, then who will visit there workshop every month, resulting in more money

I know you have the power that even Big shots reply to you (remember due to you i got a reply for my Insurance issue).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Anybody tried the mileage indicator in the infotainment system? I have a doubt that it doesn't go below 9 and above 18 kmpl. Anybody observed any numbers outside this range?

Was driving in really awful bumper-to-bumper traffic yesterday. I had just reset the average mileage 10 minutes back when starting from work. The mileage started with some 10.3kmpl and then gradually dropped to 9. After this point traffic just got worse and the car was stand-still (with engine running) for 2-3 minutes quite a few times and crawling a inch at a time for rest of the time. But the mileage indicator did not dropped below 9kmpl.

Is this a "feel-good" feature from Mahindras?
I did. I had once noticed that my XUV reading went up to 25KMPL after re-set, so i guess it works.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 21:03   #3430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
...Even if you buy the base variant and add the DC pack, it may still be around the top end OTR....
DC doesn't come that cheap! I would expect a minimum 4.95L cost for these interior packages! Atleast that's how the Innova DC lounge is priced. Also I vaguely remember the external mods on a City was charged at 70K! Even a base variant will cost you much more than the top variant once you get this done.

And for comfort, I would pick a base Innova and get it DC modified than a XUV 500! This is offered focussing a predominantly chauffer driven car, so XUV 500 will not be the right choice.

And yeah, after these mods, there is NO 3rd row available courtesy the 180 degree reclining seats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
...I know you have the power that even Big shots reply to you (remember due to you i got a reply for my Insurance issue)...
Not really! I believe the top guns at M&M are so humble that they bothered to respond to some very simple suggestions / complaints! My respect have gone sky high after these interactions. I believe they taste success because they are passionate and listen to feedbacks & improve!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st October 2012 at 21:05.
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:37   #3431
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did. I had once noticed that my XUV reading went up to 25KMPL after re-set, so i guess it works.
Thanks Nitin! How about the lower side? Did you get a mileage indication below 9kmpl ever?

Just curious because yesterday it poured in Mumbai and even the otherwise smooth-flowing Eastern Express Highway was clogged and traffic was moving at a snail's pace. Within half a km into the return journey, the indicator dropped from 9.4 to 9.0 and then remained stuck at 9.0kmpl for the next hour!

That's why I have a doubt that 9kmpl has been programmed as the lowest mileage indication in the XUV5OO.
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:36   #3432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP

Thanks Nitin! How about the lower side? Did you get a mileage indication below 9kmpl ever?

That's why I have a doubt that 9kmpl has been programmed as the lowest mileage indication in the XUV5OO.
I agree and even in my case my XUV is stuck at 9kmpl since birth. When I reset it, it starts from about 14km n then settles at 9 within few minutes.
liferocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:39   #3433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
XUV has 'el cheapo' interiors? Now that's new. What are we comparing with here? Hyundai?

I always thought that the XUV's interiors are good. There are a few parts which use poor grade plastic and feel cheap, but those are few.
I would agree to that, I only found the handles & the hand brake below par, rest is good enough (could have been better )
Old 2nd October 2012, 22:49   #3434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP

Just curious because yesterday it poured in Mumbai and even the otherwise smooth-flowing Eastern Express Highway was clogged and traffic was moving at a snail's pace. Within half a km into the return journey, the indicator dropped from 9.4 to 9.0 and then remained stuck at 9.0kmpl for the next hour!

Sorry but i havent had any instance when it went so low. I always had a constant mileage of 13 and above hence never went below that. I guess i have to go to yamuna expressway to test this extreme mileage
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:57   #3435
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry but i havent had any instance when it went so low. I always had a constant mileage of 13 and above hence never went below that. I guess i have to go to yamuna expressway to test this extreme mileage
13kmpl? That's really impressive if it includes city driving as well. Would PM you for some driving tips.

Regards
SDP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks