Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 12:43   #3451
mxx
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
3. I agree with SwiftnFurious, that the AWD might not have been all that well tested as of now. The reason, I held off from booking the XUV in the initial lots was to avoid being the guinea pig. Although there have been a few AWD owners, I don't know if all the core issues with AWD have been brought to the surface. I am also not sure if the service centers will be able to handle any issues with AWD.
I dont think anyone here has heard first hand reports of any problems with AWD. There were speculations/rumors that the delay was due to some problem. But apart from rumors there are no reports either from owners here in tbhp or others about such problems. Personally I wont base any of my decisions on rumors

Moreover, the AWD system in XUV is supplied by BorgWarner, which is one of the leading developer/supplier of transmission and other drivetrain systems used by most major manufacturers- includes merc, vw, ford , porsche etc.
In xuv site, they say the AWD is a NexTrac system. With quick search I understand that this is used in SantaFe, tuscon suvs from hyundai since 2008. Which means it is already widely deployed-not brand new but tried and tested.

you can get some info from this link:
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-drive-systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
4. Finally, I am not sure if the dealer will let me switch over to the AWD, since my vehicle has apparently been dispatched. Even if he does, not sure if I will have to wait 2-3 months again for the AWD.
The dealer would only be happy. You are booking a higher spec vehicle, so the dealer gets more money. Your current vehicle, they can always transfer to next waiting customer- some dealers would even charge a premium from the other customer for doing this. So, dealer does not lose anything

Last edited by mxx : 4th October 2012 at 12:50. Reason: link url added
mxx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 13:18   #3452

I had booked a W8 FWD a month back from Sireesh Auto. Paid the standard 40k as booking fee for it. Now I want to upgrade to the AWD option. Sireesh Auto says that I would have to pay 5k as the cancellation fee, make a new booking for the AWD and then wait for another 3 months. I can understand the waiting period although the Mahindra Relationship centre is quoting 2-3 months as the waiting period but the cancellation fee is ridiculous! It's not like I am canceling the buying decision altogether, in fact I am putting more money in to buy a superior variant.
Very tempted to buy it from India Garage now...
Old 4th October 2012, 14:26   #3453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire_Cat
I had booked a W8 FWD a month back from Sireesh Auto. Paid the standard 40k as booking fee for it. Now I want to upgrade to the AWD option. Sireesh Auto says that I would have to pay 5k as the cancellation fee, make a new booking for the AWD and then wait for another 3 months. I can understand the waiting period although the Mahindra Relationship centre is quoting 2-3 months as the waiting period but the cancellation fee is ridiculous! It's not like I am canceling the buying decision altogether, in fact I am putting more money in to buy a superior variant.
Very tempted to buy it from India Garage now...
I can understand your frustration, but unfortunately the terms of booking talks about a cancellation fee. Even for a color change they can ask for a fee.
tachobells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 17:43   #3454
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
So, I am not sure if the AWD bookings were stopped because of technical issues OR to moderate the demand.
According to Autocar India, Mahindra was expecting AWD bookings to be about 5% and planned production accordingly. They ended up getting 20% bookings for AWD variant and hence the delay. Nothing to do with problems with AWD.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 21:58   #3455

Hey Tushargohil thanks for sharing the video. Registered for team-bhp after i saw this post here. I have a few more modifications to my XUV and will upload the pictures soon.
Old 5th October 2012, 11:15   #3456
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 booking are now open, as per the vehicle's website:

http://www.mahindraxuv500.com/

Rush to book your Cheetah...
Old 5th October 2012, 13:24   #3457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
XUV has 'el cheapo' interiors? Now that's new. What are we comparing with here? Hyundai?

I always thought that the XUV's interiors are good. There are a few parts which use poor grade plastic and feel cheap, but those are few.
Yes, I seriously think that the XUV interiors are 'el cheapo'. Beware that I am not talking about either the design or features here, but quality. Almost all plastics feel cheap to touch and feel, some panels are loose and I personally don't like the weird colour combination.

That does not mean that I rate XUV as a poor vehicle. In fact, its a great choice for somebody who wants to have big thing for a reasonable price. Just that if you are expecting German quality standard, look elsewhere.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 13:32   #3458
BANNED

***XUV AWD Bookings Open***

Today's Bangalore Hindu had a full page ad of the XUV where it declared the AWD bookings to be open.

There was no mention of the price though.
Old 5th October 2012, 14:11   #3459
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Yes, I seriously think that the XUV interiors are 'el cheapo'. Beware that I am not talking about either the design or features here, but quality. Almost all plastics feel cheap to touch and feel, some panels are loose and I personally don't like the weird colour combination.

All I can say is - you get a 'overall package' (interiors + outer looks + features + ride-comfort + performance & FE + safety) at a particular price point.

It would be interesting to understand - at ~16L INR which cars provide 'OK' and 'Good' interiors? Jetta, Laura, Elantra, Yeti? And how do they fare on the 'overall package' scale?
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 16:57   #3460
BHPian

KML files

The MMI navigator allows one to save the GPS logs in the KML format for viewing through Google Earth. The question is how do you retrieve the files for later viewing in Google Earth. The manual is mum about this.

-- Wind
Old 5th October 2012, 17:34   #3461

Quote:
All I can say is - you get a 'overall package' (interiors + outer looks + features + ride-comfort + performance & FE + safety) at a particular price point.

It would be interesting to understand - at ~16L INR which cars provide 'OK' and 'Good' interiors? Jetta, Laura, Elantra, Yeti? And how do they fare on the 'overall package' scale?
Completely agree. Not sure how many "German" cars for the ordinary middle, upper middle class Indian have really been successful in India. All that Germanness (no offence) comes at a price, not only when you buy but overall maintenance of the vehicle as well. End of the day you pay more for "Duty" than the Car!
Old 5th October 2012, 18:46   #3462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post

That does not mean that I rate XUV as a poor vehicle. In fact, its a great choice for somebody who wants to have big thing for a reasonable price. Just that if you are expecting German quality standard, look elsewhere.
German quality of plastics, eh! So I understand you are talking about Touareg, X3/X5 or GL class of vehicles? What are you doing here in this thread then? Are not you barking up the wrong tree?
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 21:32   #3463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree. And I too think that cars like Jetta are very POOR VFM. That's why I've not been able to convince myself to buy one. You feel short charged for the money that you pay. But they have much better quality standards. However, I think its simply unfair to compare a car of the segment with a similarly priced SUV. An SUV will almost always have less impressive interiors than a similarly priced sedan. Compare Fortuner to Passat, Compare Duster to Vento/Verna, Compare X1 to 3 series etc. But, that's apples to oranges comparison. So, let's leave it at that.

That was not the point I was trying to make. What I wanted to stress is that I didn't find the XUV quality standards up to the mark. However, as an overall package, it rocks. And big time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
German quality of plastics, eh! So I understand you are talking about Touareg, X3/X5 or GL class of vehicles? What are you doing here in this thread then? Are not you barking up the wrong tree?
No buddy, that's not my intention. And I am not talking about 3 series onwards Germans. I believe that even Jetta/Fluence (French) have quality stuff when it comes to interiors.

I am in the thread coz I like XUV but found its interiors to be sub par. And then a few days ago I came across the 'DC interiors pack for XUV'. I wanted to check if anybody has more knowledge on the topic than I have.

And I am not one of those for whom money is not object. For me , money matters. Else, your'e right; I wouldn't be on this thread.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 5th October 2012 at 21:42.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 22:45   #3464
BHPian

Quote:
Rather than introducing more variants, I wish Mahindras introduce a "Vehicle Configurator" where people can choose which features they want and which they don't (and pay accordingly).
I couldn't agree more with SDP. Allowing customers to choose individual features is the ultimate a car manufacturer can do if customer delight is high on their priority list.

There are several reasons why I booked the W6. Needless to say, the Rs 1.5 lakh price difference is high on that list. I painstakingly scrutinized every additional feature of the W8 over the W6 and analyzed whether it was worth the additional cost. But the choice became crystal clear when I came across this feature called ESP. Let me tell you why.

ESP stands for Electronic Stability Program (with Rollover Mitigation). Having gone through every word that was ever penned on the XUV Niggles thread, I had become hypersensitive to the combination of the words M&M and Electronics. ESP, I figured, tries to make the car more stable with the help of electronics. But what if the electronics malfunctioned, as seemed quite likely in a M&M car, and then what happens to stability? Will it lead to instability and rollover enhancement?

It was a scary thought. But suddenly the choice was clear. W6 it had to be!

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th October 2012 at 23:21. Reason: Please avoid unenecessary highlighting of text, thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 15:37   #3465
BHPian

Anyone here notice a slight crackling sound when playing music from a USB drive?

Weirdly, the 'Crackle' is not present when playing music via BlueTooth!

Any suggestions? I tried all EQ settings as well as trying to isolate it to a certain speaker. Turns out its coming from all four speakers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks